PDA

View Full Version : What are the best vehicle rules out there?

7RED7
2011-10-19, 09:26 PM
I've been working on a 3.5/d20 hybrid set of resources to build a sci-fi/fantasy campaign environment and I want vehicles to play a large part. What has been your best experience with vehicle rules? Variants, or anything that could be worked in with little trouble would be appreciated.
I'm wanting to figure something out that makes it really easy to do everything from road-train robberies to madmax style gasoline powered sieges to dune buggy vs powerglider showdowns to jetbike duels. Play-wise I'm going for something between Borderlands and Battlefield where transportation and protecting supply routes are a large part of the game.

I could just wing it and go with an abstraction, but I'm going to have a couple classes like Hover Pilot (air transport), Gear Head (ground transport), Hellrider (motorcycle/jetbike), so it would be nice to have rules for them beyond just "you're certified in the operation of that equipment so it allows you access to all features, otherwise you can drive it but can't do all the shiny things".

Randomguy
2011-10-19, 09:58 PM
Perhaps the only vehicle rule that I know is that if you have a fast moving, large object vehicle, than move all the characters that aren't on the vehicle backwards by the larger vehicle's move speed each turn.

It shouldn't be too hard to take a few mounted PrC's (Cavalier and halfling outrider from complete warrior) and feats (Ride by attack, flyby attack, mounted combat, mounted archery, the like.) and the ride skill and change them to vehicle related PrC's, feats and the drive skill.

Gavinfoxx
2011-10-19, 10:00 PM
Well, lets see. The obvious ones are in D20 Modern and D20 Future... I think they have some prestige classes that unlock stunts and stuff. I would also check the Spycraft D20 books... um, I'm not all that familiar with D20 stuff for action hero types, so...

Drelua
2011-10-19, 10:03 PM
I haven't looked at them, but Paizo released vehicle rules in Ultimate Combat that you can find here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/vehicles).

Zonugal
2011-10-19, 10:51 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has a section on vehicles with Frostburn/Sandstorm/Stormwrack providing a possible update to them.

Anxe
2011-10-19, 11:08 PM
Also, you might want to have the vehicles move at Initiative 0 like crowds do. That way the vehicles all move at the same time instead of one moving 500 feet in front of the other one for a few characters' turns within the round and then the other one catching up for everyone else's turns.

Skill checks to do stunts or to fire a gun while driving. Skill checks to ensure the engine doesn't burn out after combat and need replacing.

Otherwise, you can pretty much just use mounted combat rules like has already been said.

Retech
2011-10-20, 07:23 AM
Alternatively vehicle initiative 100. Since they are kinda underpowered anyways.

The Gilded Duke
2011-10-20, 10:29 AM
Star Wars Saga System has the best vehicle rules. They work quite well for vehicle vs vehicle combat, are quite terrifying against pedestrians, and involve the whole group as opposed to just the driver.

Depending on the vehicle size, everyone can take on a different role, including such things as:

Driver/Pilot: Makes the rolls to move the thing around, fires main weapon if tied
Systems Tech: Keeps the shields up, works sensors
Engineer: Fixes stuff, reroutes power
Captain: Can aid other any other positions rolls.
First Mate: See Captain
Gunners: Operate additional guns.

Then in the book Starships of the Galaxy, they added tome of battle style maneuvers to vehicular combat.

Rogue Trader also has good vehicle rules, things can go bad very quickly. I'd change it from being just the captain doing everything, to splitting up the actions like in Star Wars Saga though.

The Saga rules work for Spaceships, planes, and land craft although most of the maneuvers are for flying vehicles. They could pretty easily be adopted for sailing ships etc something like:

Tillerman: Steers the ship
Lookout: Perception checks
Engineer: Puts out Fires, tries to patch leaks.
Captain: Same
First Mate: Same
Gunners: Operate Cannons and Ballista