PDA

View Full Version : Weird Silly Question

Tokuhara
2011-10-19, 11:29 PM
I think my DM lost his mind.....

He wants to add a PF Trait called Saiyan Bloodline. Like DBZ saiyans...

Apparently, you get a prehensile tail, and 1/month, you become a Chaotic Evil Kaiju Gorilla NPC. And he asked me this:

"What would the benefits of going Super Saiyan be on a character?"

Honestly???

So to the playground, please give me a balanced answer to this question my idiot DM asked me...

faceroll
2011-10-19, 11:31 PM
In combat, you may choose to "power up", the DM then has to narrate all past events up to this point while your character charges his power. If you run out of time to end combat, just pick up next session where you left off.

Tokuhara
2011-10-19, 11:36 PM
In combat, you may choose to "power up", the DM then has to narrate all past events up to this point while your character charges his power. If you run out of time to end combat, just pick up next session where you left off.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing

tyckspoon
2011-10-19, 11:37 PM
Simplest way would be to get the ability to cast Divine Power/Righteous Might/other nice self-buffs on yourself. If you really wanted to stay loyal to the source, something like: Charge 1 round- Divine Favor. Charge 2nd round: Add in Bull's Strength. Charge 3rd round: Full power! DIVINE POWER now go beat some heads. Mind, taking 3 rounds to cast Divine Power isn't really worth it.

Tokuhara
2011-10-19, 11:38 PM
Simplest way would be to get the ability to cast Divine Power/Righteous Might/other nice self-buffs on yourself. If you really wanted to stay loyal to the source, something like: Charge 1 round- Divine Favor. Charge 2nd round: Add in Bull's Strength. Charge 3rd round: Full power! DIVINE POWER now go beat some heads. Mind, taking 3 rounds to cast Divine Power isn't really worth it.

It's cool. He's asking about making Saiyan Blood a trait, which sounds insane to me.

With this available, I forsee VERY bad things, like Ubercharging Oorazu, Super Saiyan Wizards, and Pun Pun, the Super Saiyan Kobold

Ravens_cry
2011-10-20, 12:15 AM
EH, it sounds like something that would work better as a template or a new race if you are going literally Saiyan, or possibly a bloodline.
A trait, if you mean like this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits) sounds rather overpowered if it is truly going to represent what a Saiyan can do.

Tokuhara
2011-10-20, 12:19 AM
EH, it sounds like something that would work better as a template or a new race if you are going literally Saiyan, or possibly a bloodline.
A trait, if you mean like this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits) sounds rather overpowered if it is truly going to represent what a Saiyan can do.

He's not well versed in what most call "Balanced"

Starbuck_II
2011-10-20, 12:27 AM
I think my DM lost his mind.....

He wants to add a PF Trait called Saiyan Bloodline. Like DBZ saiyans...

Apparently, you get a prehensile tail, and 1/month, you become a Chaotic Evil Kaiju Gorilla NPC. And he asked me this:

"What would the benefits of going Super Saiyan be on a character?"

Honestly???

So to the playground, please give me a balanced answer to this question my idiot DM asked me...

You start with Inquisitor 1st spell Wrath 3 + Cha bonus use/day (trust me all the Saiyans have Cha and it says bonus so you still have at least 3 even if you dump Cha). At level 10, you can cast this as a swift action if you wish.
At Character level 7, you gain Divine Power 1/day and one more use each 7 levels after.
Wrath: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wrath

So the ability isn't too power at 1st level. And you get Divine power at a level appropriate time.

theNater
2011-10-20, 12:35 AM
As I recall, the big benefit to Super Saiyan mode was limitless energy. By itself, that's not too impressive: it just means you never get tired. However, the Saiyans usually had techniques that allowed them to convert their energy into attacks and buffs. Those techniques were generally limited by the energy the character could put into it, and characters would often pass out after winning a fight because they had used up too much energy. In Super Saiyan mode, the techniques were no longer limited by how much energy the character had, but rather by how well they could control the energy.

To replicate that, I'd say a character in Super Saiyan mode has all of their abilities that refresh refreshed each round. That's things like barbarian rages, psionic power points, turn undead attempts, caster spell slots, what have you. Wizards kind of get the raw end of this deal, as they would still need to memorize a spell to be able to use their newly available spell slots. For clerics, I'd rule they can use such slots for their spontaneous casting(cures for positive channelers, inflicts for negative), but not anything they have to prepare.

I'm not sure how to balance such a thing. Mostly I'd make it extremely high level(remember, this is an ability for people approaching planet-busting power) and give it a bunch of crazy prereqs. Saiyan Bloodline, of course, probably also a lot of things to encourage the character to be a monk(maybe Improved Evasion, Spell Resist, ability to use Dimension Door, and move speed of 50 feet or greater), and maybe just a bunch of feat prereqs to make it annoying to get.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-20, 04:44 AM
Don't do this.

Tell him.

Just don't.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-20, 04:53 AM
Don't forget, they level up after every encounter.

Parra
2011-10-20, 05:02 AM
Don't forget, they level up after every encounter.

In true keeping with DBZ, they would level up mid-way through the encounter.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-20, 05:04 AM
I have to concur with the latter commenters: strongly advise against this as a trait.

If he has the maturity of a 7 year old who would just love DBZ and Saiyans then perhaps he should consider creating a PrC that incorporates the flavor of it. In any event, infinite amounts of "readily convertible energy" is a game breaker. It is something for God!

-edit-
By the way, in terms of power level a trait should represent half that of a feat. In other words: trait + trait = feat.

limejuicepowder
2011-10-20, 06:28 AM
I don't think saiyan blood line should give auto-levels at the end of every encounter - just at the end of encounter that the character was reduced to less then 1/5 hp in, and the level is only gained after healing back up. still a game-breaking power, IMO.

but yeah, overall, that is completely retarded. dbz power is entirely off the charts and incompatable with (standard) dnd.

however, making a saiyan *inspired* race would be easy, and probably quite fun. the most basic would be to just tweak the lycanthropy rules slightly and use wereape.

Yuki Akuma
2011-10-20, 06:31 AM
No, no, Saiyans level up every time they're defeated. It's actually in-setting lore that they get stronger after being nearly killed!

Starbuck_II
2011-10-20, 09:41 AM
I don't think saiyan blood line should give auto-levels at the end of every encounter - just at the end of encounter that the character was reduced to less then 1/5 hp in, and the level is only gained after healing back up. still a game-breaking power, IMO.

but yeah, overall, that is completely retarded. dbz power is entirely off the charts and incompatable with (standard) dnd.

however, making a saiyan *inspired* race would be easy, and probably quite fun. the most basic would be to just tweak the lycanthropy rules slightly and use wereape.

That was because DBZ was high level/Epic.
At epic levels nothing is incompatible with D&D.

Dragon Ball was low level to mid level.

I mean, forgetting the lower levels is the issue.