PDA

View Full Version : What do your characters do during downtime

Saitox
2011-10-20, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone! :) I'm starting this thread as a way for fellow playground goers to talk about what their character/characters do when not trying to kill or survive in their dm's world as well as pose questions on how they might achieve those personal history activites such as my own question below.

I'm looking to play a character who has ranks in profession(chef/cook), used interchangeably these days the way...not going on tangent haha, and craft(cookery/cheffing well food). He travels the world looking for recipes and experiencing all the different cultures. He finds that one of the best ways to experience that is through the cultures food. He doesn't know how to make wines, liquors, ales, etc. But I will give him a few ranks so as to know about information about them such as what elven moonwine might be and how it's made. Not necessarily how to make it himself. So I was wondering what would be the right skill for that?

Also if it was possible to use Ray of frost to make ice cream? The way I'm thinking of it is that it might act like liquid nitrogen while another device would be churning said cream. I'm suddenly reminded of terminator 2.

I really enjoy thinking about what my characters did before they decided to go out and be an adventurer and if they might pick something up along the way that they enjoy.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-20, 08:23 AM
Well, to make icecream, you don't want to freeze the stock liquid instantly. The spell you probably want is chill metal.

As for what my characters do, well, when I have a crafting character, I craft magic items.

The only "roleplaying" type activity any of my characters used downtime for (mostly because my group usually glosses over downtime) is when my Healer bought a ton (might have been litteral) of berries, prepared all her level 1+ spells as goodberry (she was an 18th level caster, I think) every day for a couple of weeks and handed the resulting goodberries out to desperately poor people in an otherwise forgotten (as in ignored by the authorities) part of the city we were in.

Saitox
2011-10-20, 08:37 AM
After reading chill metal that just might work better. I was thinking of Ray of frost like liquid nitrogen after seeing it done by cooks and I'm probably remembering the explanation wrong but the nitrogen "froze" the cream before the icicle particles developed which also kept alot of the fresh ingredients flavor. Definitely don't quote me on that haha. I've seen it done more times than explained.

And I hear you about the downtime. My group just goes runs through it if it's a one shot but usually we like to play it out on actual campaigns. During our ongoing starship trooper campaign we have spent alot of time doing the training and going to the bar just as much as actual missions.

Dang you are nice with those goodberries. Must have had alot of people like you after that.

NichG
2011-10-20, 10:17 AM
Flash-freezing makes the ice crystals smaller, which makes for much smoother icecream. So ray of frost is probably decent for the job assuming it doesn't just flash-freeze the surface and leave the interior liquid.

In any event, I had an immortal character in a game where we were all stuck in some realm beyond the end of time and could go back to places and times before the destruction of the world. At one point for downtime he went and spent 60 years just living in the world, traveling with an exiled ruler both to give him a rich life and to keep tabs on him.

JohnnyCancer
2011-10-20, 10:33 AM
I played a gestalt Shackled City campaign updated to Pathfinder and our party usually found things to do between adventures. Our fighter/rogue was a manic paranoid who wanted to use his engineering expertise to turn a dungeon beneath the city into a drain (the city is built in the caldera of a dead volcano, with a lake that floods without magical intervention) when he wasn't cavorting in taverns. The bard/cleric entertained and educated in the orphanage or mingled with the aristocracy. The wizard/monk did a lot of meditating and recreational parkour. They would also get together to turn a roadside inn outside the city into their own clubhouse.

Kol Korran
2011-10-20, 10:54 AM
the characters in the current campaign I'm Dming have little time as they are in a sort of a race against the villains, but the managed:
- crafting some items.
- attended one royal party, and seen a small show called "the goblin, the halfling, and the deaf blind maiden".
- made some conversation on occasion wth crews of ships.
- been a bit seasick on said ships.
- waiting in hiding and annoying each other.
- researched some leads on the villains.
- they'll be attending a wedding of a former PC.
- looked for better deals on magic items.
- one PC had a change of faith and religion.
- some even had some sex. mostly out of... frustration. (adventuring can be tense). one even got it done with several harpies, though not technically on "down time".

in a campaign i was playing as a cleric and minor lord, we had about 3-4 months wait between adventures. which i used to:
- get back to the estate, and try settle help with some things.
- build a shrine to my new faith, and try and spread it.
- deal with priests of my former faith, who wanted to "lead me back to the path".
- helped another PC research clues to his wife's disappearance.
- dealing with a certain difficult romance with a drow.
- invented 2 new spells due to our last adventure.
- gotten frustrated enough and not achieving things (this wasn't the DM bogging me, this is sort how i wanted it to go) so that when the slightest sign of adventure appeared, like Don Quixote, i slipped out.

hope this helped.
Kol.

TheRinni
2011-10-20, 11:09 AM
In our current Sea Campaign, my character keeps a "Captain's Log." It's essentially a diary that she uses to vent and work out all the traumatizing experiences she's had.* I've come to absolutely LOVE writing the entries. Even if no one else reads them, it's drastically improved my roleplay ability.

*It's probably worth noting that my character has been through some seriously screwed up situations since we've started playing. In the last two sessions alone: she was forced to kill the man she loved, she was sold into slavery, and she came very close to being raped.

As far as other downtime activities go, she's become an alcoholic.

NOhara24
2011-10-20, 11:30 AM
All of the characters in my campaign have their own distractions. It's quite nice, it makes the person playing them actually develop a personality.

Human Paladin/Crusader - Bought a puzzle that was supposed to be unsolvable by the common man within his lifetime. When not doing that, he's sauntering around town flirting with the especially good looking women. He got lucky for the first time last session, actually.

Human Cleric - Taken to alchemy. She spends most of the time in the attic of the house, making potions. Every once in awhile, we'll hear an explosion, and she'll come downstairs covered in soot and coughing ash.

Armand Monk - For awhile he would noodle on his accordion, either in the park on nice days and in his room on others. Good friends with the paladin, but didn't support his "extracurricular" activities. He's since abandoned his accordion, now spends his time training.

Elf Druid - He doesn't really do much...he spent all day in the library, once. But other times it's mostly shopping and upgrading weapons. He did buy a book on the planes too though. So I guess he's the bookworm of the group. Occasionally gambles with the Rogue & Fighter.

Halfling Rogue - Stealing things. Getting half-orcs drunk, and stealing things.

Vampire Fighter - Doing drugs. When sober, he hangs out with the Druid and Rogue. They orchestrated a plan to rob a half-orc once, that didn't go well. Not because the Pally intervened, but because (wouldn't you know it) the half-orc had levels in Barbarian and enough strength to pick up the Elf Druid and toss him through a tavern's exterior window.

GenericGuy
2011-10-20, 12:36 PM
Last campaign I was a PC of we actually got to play two characters at once:smallbiggrin:.

Human Bard: Drinking, gambling, ranking up debt, and charming his way into being a personal guest of local aristocracy and the extremely wealthy, until he over stays his welcome and fathers another bastard child:smallamused:. (I do this cause it gives a good excuse for why a very selfish character would be willing to drop everything and join the party on another adventure)

Orc fighter: trying to keep the bard alive mostly (she is a lawful servent of his noble family, so she doesnt have much choice but to follow the fool around).

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-20, 01:15 PM
My current D20 Modern/Future character builds robots and writes computer program pretty much. (Smart Hero/Technosavant)

My old rogue'ish character spent her downtime reading up on history, old myths and generally getting into trouble. (Extremly easily bored if she wasn't in mrotal danger...)

My wizard well... come on, he was a wizard of course he was still researching stuff. >.<

GungHo
2011-10-20, 01:53 PM
My half-orc fighter guy volunteers in a youth center by teaching orc kids Common and human kids Orcish (in that nation, Orcs are integrated into human cities and vice-versa). Originally, he was just trying to get into the pants of a ranger who runs the equivalent of the Boy/Girl Scouts, but he ended up finding the experience spiritually rewarding.

Mechanically, it helps generate ranks of culture, language, and survival (he goes on their excursions). It also generates a significant amount of civic goodwill.

Tangent regarding the OPs post... we did run a one-off were we each played as adventuring Iron Chefs (Japanese version). We would go on adventures to find rare foodstuffs/creatures and then we'd take it all back to town and run opposed skill roles to see who would win a cooking prize. We tried to do Iron Chef America, but I pushed Bobby Flay off a cliff.

Dimers
2011-10-20, 02:36 PM
I will give him a few ranks so as to know about information about them such as what elven moonwine might be and how it's made. Not necessarily how to make it himself. So I was wondering what would be the right skill for that?

Appraise. The skill can represent a whole lot more than "how much can we sell this for".

Saitox
2011-10-20, 02:45 PM
My half-orc fighter guy volunteers in a youth center by teaching orc kids Common and human kids Orcish (in that nation, Orcs are integrated into human cities and vice-versa). Originally, he was just trying to get into the pants of a ranger who runs the equivalent of the Boy/Girl Scouts, but he ended up finding the experience spiritually rewarding.

Mechanically, it helps generate ranks of culture, language, and survival (he goes on their excursions). It also generates a significant amount of civic goodwill.

Tangent regarding the OPs post... we did run a one-off were we each played as adventuring Iron Chefs (Japanese version). We would go on adventures to find rare foodstuffs/creatures and then we'd take it all back to town and run opposed skill roles to see who would win a cooking prize. We tried to do Iron Chef America, but I pushed Bobby Flay off a cliff.

Do the girl scouts in your dm's world do the same as they do in mine? Control the local populace using their feminine wiles and unrelenting adorableness while pushing their mind controlling cookies on the people. :)

And well....Bobby Flay should've known. There can only be one! Love the idea by the way. What kind of ingredients did you search for and food did you make? I was planning to find out how an ooze glazed shocker lizard would turn out. I'm sure it'd have that zing people are looking for ;)

Saitox
2011-10-20, 02:46 PM
Appraise. The skill can represent a whole lot more than "how much can we sell this for".

Hmm never thought of it that way. Would that also account for pairing? Dragon turtle soup goes great with dwarven moonshine sorta thing.

Kol Korran
2011-10-20, 02:48 PM
In our current Sea Campaign, my character keeps a "Captain's Log." It's essentially a diary that she uses to vent and work out all the traumatizing experiences she's had.* I've come to absolutely LOVE writing the entries. Even if no one else reads them, it's drastically improved my roleplay ability.

in the previous campaign i played, my cleric was sort of torn in his religion, and role in the events that unfold. i also kept a journal, written through his eyes. only the DM and one other player read it, but they thought it enriched the play, and it enriched my own character, his roleplay, and my enjoyment of the game considerably. so i get what you're referring to.

GungHo
2011-10-20, 03:55 PM
Do the girl scouts in your dm's world do the same as they do in mine? Control the local populace using their feminine wiles and unrelenting adorableness while pushing their mind controlling cookies on the people. :)
No. They were being trained to become rangers, bounty hunters, and in the case of the Eagle Scout-equivalents, Green Berets.

And well....Bobby Flay should've known. There can only be one! Love the idea by the way. What kind of ingredients did you search for and food did you make? I was planning to find out how an ooze glazed shocker lizard would turn out. I'm sure it'd have that zing people are looking for ;)
Generally, the Chairman, who was Oda Nobunaga's majordomo, would send us out after a list of exotic game or hard-to-acquire ingredients and then we'd bring it back for preparation and tasting by the Shogun's tasters.

From memory... we gathered
Mushrooms grown in the shadow of the boulder that Izanagi placed over the entrance to Yomi in the Izumo provence.

Melted snow-water from a crevasse created when Bishamonten's spear pierced the top of Mt. Fuji when he was trying to drive off Daidarabotchi.

The breast and thighs of the Bansan, which is a giant fire-breathing chicken

Kishin's, the God of Ogres, ox.

The tale of a kuda-gitsune, which was much easier to get than the others until it's mother, the Kyubi no Kitsune appeared and banished us to Korea. We lost the fox, but came back with a recipe for bulgogi.

Dimers
2011-10-20, 08:33 PM
Hmm never thought of it that way. Would that also account for pairing? Dragon turtle soup goes great with dwarven moonshine sorta thing.

I see that as a function of Profession. Appraise covers evaluation of a product, Craft would be whatever's required to create the product, and Profession covers the interactions between the product and the rest of the world. Either Profession (chef) or Profession (brewer) would be equally useful for determining how well a particular beer goes with a particular meal ... but if you only have professional knowledge of cooking, then you won't know the best way to serve the beer with the meal (e.g. how metal steins make it taste different than ceramic mugs would, or how the aroma can be made clearer by ensuring a very clean mug is used).

And in other news -- I think too much. :smallwink:

Foeofthelance
2011-10-20, 08:36 PM
My Dragonborn teaches his Rage Drake mount how to act like a paladin so that one day they can form Bahamut's Beast Brigade.

Gamgee
2011-10-20, 08:38 PM
In a nWoD game I tried to start a catalog of monster I've fought. Some angry spirits disagreed with that and now it's all for naught. All that time wasted *sigh* This is why I hate trying to do stuff outside of whatever plot we're on, it always gets taken away.

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-20, 08:49 PM
In response to the title, it depends on game and character, naturally.

My 3.5 Wizard, for instance, kept himself quite busy with a mix of spell research, magic item creation, and traveling to the elven lands. :smalltongue:

My Dawn Caste Solar, by comparison, sacrificed his right hand to the Celestial Incarnae, and then went around making heroic mortals out of people. :smallamused:

My Dwarven Hacker/Rigger spent several months in a chemical vat, while mentally hooked up to the Matrix and coding a new firewall program like crazy.

My Malkavian, during downtime, developed the ability to divine the future, increased his influences, plotted the downfall of other Kindred, puzzled out a few mysteries, and surfed the Internet. :smallbiggrin:

Saitox
2011-10-20, 10:09 PM
I see that as a function of Profession. Appraise covers evaluation of a product, Craft would be whatever's required to create the product, and Profession covers the interactions between the product and the rest of the world. Either Profession (chef) or Profession (brewer) would be equally useful for determining how well a particular beer goes with a particular meal ... but if you only have professional knowledge of cooking, then you won't know the best way to serve the beer with the meal (e.g. how metal steins make it taste different than ceramic mugs would, or how the aroma can be made clearer by ensuring a very clean mug is used).

And in other news -- I think too much. :smallwink:

So I would need to talk profession(brewer) then huh? Oh well. Its cool with me. You think just right to me. I'm sure metal spoons would definitely make a meal taste different compared to using a wooden spoon even in DnD.

It's really interesting to see what everyones characters have been up to. I remember back when my friends and I first started rping and ever read Oots we joked about starting the worlds(meaning the DM's) first fast food chain. Any of you ever do something like that?

magwaaf
2011-10-20, 10:25 PM
let's see, my pathfinder campaigns i have a human gunslinger and a dwarf cavalier and my 3.5 character is a human dragon shaman

the cavalier is sworn to aid and obey another character from the same house in a renaissance type world with no real magic but alchemists/artificers who can make things that put spells into things as effects. in his off time he trains his boar mount and makes sure his wererat affliction doesnt get worse (made like 20 fort saves to not turn into a were rat). at the moment the game is on hiatus tho til our friends get back from college in the winter.

the gunslinger spends his off time repairing his guns and making ammo. there's a gnome artificer/alchemist in the group that helps me make fun bullets lol

the dragon shaman (uthgardian with no barbarian levels) he worships bahamut and camps/hikes/hunts and anything he can to help his people. prior to becoming a dragon shaman in my backstory he traveled the sword coast (as far south as baldur's gate), silver marches, cormyr, vaasa, and then back to his tribe int he spine of the world foothills just northwest of mithral hall as a caravan guard.

Alleran
2011-10-20, 11:24 PM
A friend had his bard PC walk around the city we were in all day. That might sound normal, until you realise that he walked around on his hands the whole time. He never did explain why. :smallconfused:

One of my wizard characters had an obsession with lemons, though. He would pay exorbitant amounts of money to get lemons from all over the setting (grown in all manner of different places), conducting extensive alchemical experiments to discern the differences with the goal of one day creating the perfect lemon. He even tested the reactions different animals had to eating lemons, to study the effects of taste.

A barbarian character was similarly obsessed, except in his case it was with the city brothels. :smallannoyed:

Heatwizard
2011-10-21, 01:00 AM
I had a factotum who spent his free time writing a book. "How to Adventure". Chapter 1: Bring Rope.

comicshorse
2011-10-21, 10:25 PM
My NWoD gangrel spends his time studying architecture for his degree, romancing his girlfriend and studying the mysteries of the Ordo Dracul. He also likes to talk to animals, the more exotic the better, though he has a couple of favourites he usually tries to see regulalrly

starwoof
2011-10-21, 11:41 PM
The character I'm playing now is an evil lizardman monk, and he has a lot of downtime. The most I've ever experienced. He is a bouncer at a gambling hall. He does that during down time now that we've established a routine for it. He really enjoys his work. I got to rip out a patron's tongue for yelling at me. :smallsmile:

Saitox
2011-10-22, 05:11 AM
My NWoD gangrel spends his time studying architecture for his degree, romancing his girlfriend and studying the mysteries of the Ordo Dracul. He also likes to talk to animals, the more exotic the better, though he has a couple of favourites he usually tries to see regulalrly

I'm going to guess his girlfriend is also a vampire unless the masquerade got a bit lenient. On a more serious note what do you do to roleplay studies for the order? My friend is setting up a nWoD game and I'm going to be playing a Daeva(Septemi) of the Ordo Dracul but could definitely use tips on how to roleplay downtime/interactions in the Order.....when not trying to survive whatever ordeal he sends us on. After character creation and approval he's...a supplicant I believe, he's got one dot in covenant: Ordo Dracul and I can't remember what it said in the Covenant: Ordo Dracul book for what that makes him. He only knows one coil which is in blood.

Oh and what's his personal horror that he's dealing with...aside from being a vampire haha?

comicshorse
2011-10-22, 07:24 AM
I'm going to guess his girlfriend is also a vampire unless the masquerade got a bit lenient. On a more serious note what do you do to roleplay studies for the order? My friend is setting up a nWoD game and I'm going to be playing a Daeva(Septemi) of the Ordo Dracul but could definitely use tips on how to roleplay downtime/interactions in the Order.....when not trying to survive whatever ordeal he sends us on. After character creation and approval he's...a supplicant I believe, he's got one dot in covenant: Ordo Dracul and I can't remember what it said in the Covenant: Ordo Dracul book for what that makes him. He only knows one coil which is in blood.

Oh and what's his personal horror that he's dealing with...aside from being a vampire haha?

Yep his girlfriend is also a Vampire, Gangrel as well.

For the Ordo we ran that in order to be accepted you first must undertake a Quest to prove yourself worthy ( The Ordo has a high opinion of itself). Providing you accomplish the quest, you are interrogated on how you accomplish it and based on that assigned a Mentor. The Mentor-Tutor system is designed to assign a Mentor who will help the pupil where he's weakest and a pupil who can best help out the Tutor where they need help. After all the Tutor has to get something out of it ( this is also a rich source of plots for your P.C.)
My characters Tutor is a Librarian so helping her out usually involves my more Streetwise character using his skills to investigate matters she is interested in. She provides regular lessons and has convinved my character to start meditating.

For the personal horror our G.M. prefers to let that develop from what happens in game rather than just a generic 'you're a vampire, its horrid'. For my character this has taken the form of blood addiction, after feeding off a Gangrel while hunting a Wendigo in the middle-of-nowhere. He's also got his girlfriend in to this, so they are completely blood bound to each other. So on one hand he's utterly in love with a girl who adores him, on the other he's smart enought to figure out their mutaul addiction may destroy both of them and it will be entirely his fault.

Leon
2011-10-22, 07:56 AM
Human Cloistered Cleric/Barbarian - Read. He is after a Research Librarian who collects plenty of interesting things out in the world, currently is working through a Black Grimoire (that was found by the party, claimed by him, failed the save related to it and now everyone else has forgotten he has it).

hewhosaysfish
2011-10-24, 07:07 AM
One of my wizard characters had an obsession with lemons, though. He would pay exorbitant amounts of money to get lemons from all over the setting (grown in all manner of different places), conducting extensive alchemical experiments to discern the differences with the goal of one day creating the perfect lemon. He even tested the reactions different animals had to eating lemons, to study the effects of taste.

A barbarian character was similarly obsessed, except in his case it was with the city brothels. :smallannoyed:

He feeds brothels to animals? Does he at least let the... staff... evacuate the building first?

The Reverend
2011-10-24, 10:36 AM
I played a Dworc, half orc half dwarf all ugly and hair, monk who had trained himself to only need two hours of sleep a night. He spent that time meditating quietly training, and helping the other part members with their chores. Cleaning boots, polishing armour, repairing saddles, keeping watch, cooking breakfast and lunch, arranging local fauna into Zen patterns randomly around the campsite for the enjoyment of his party members, breaking boulders with his forehead, practicing hide and move silently while on watch, reading poetry, setting his hands on fire, considering his next move in a game of Go he and the party wizard were playing ( 1 move a day each), selling slavers at auction and setting up orphanages to take care of the former slave kids. His passion was time and space and how the mortal mind perceived them he would spend his time meditating on running, dripping water, swinging pendulum, falling leaves, and a crystal tunningfork he owned. Eventually h multi classed into a psionic monk/echolocator hybrid and became one of the fastest things in the game world. My dm set down and calculated his top ground speed at something like mach 1.4 for several rounds at a time.

Saitox
2011-10-25, 12:54 PM
Yep his girlfriend is also a Vampire, Gangrel as well.

For the Ordo we ran that in order to be accepted you first must undertake a Quest to prove yourself worthy ( The Ordo has a high opinion of itself). Providing you accomplish the quest, you are interrogated on how you accomplish it and based on that assigned a Mentor. The Mentor-Tutor system is designed to assign a Mentor who will help the pupil where he's weakest and a pupil who can best help out the Tutor where they need help. After all the Tutor has to get something out of it ( this is also a rich source of plots for your P.C.)
My characters Tutor is a Librarian so helping her out usually involves my more Streetwise character using his skills to investigate matters she is interested in. She provides regular lessons and has convinved my character to start meditating.

For the personal horror our G.M. prefers to let that develop from what happens in game rather than just a generic 'you're a vampire, its horrid'. For my character this has taken the form of blood addiction, after feeding off a Gangrel while hunting a Wendigo in the middle-of-nowhere. He's also got his girlfriend in to this, so they are completely blood bound to each other. So on one hand he's utterly in love with a girl who adores him, on the other he's smart enought to figure out their mutaul addiction may destroy both of them and it will be entirely his fault.

What was the quest given to you? So far the GM has just put my character through lots of psychological tests to see how he would react like a more intense version of of following the dragons tail and making me go through an extensive paths of fate evaluation. His fate card was revealed as "I:The Magician" which was only by pure fluke that it matched the mentor who saw me as a prospect and brought me forth to the Order. I'd type more about my mentor and my character but it might be long haha.

And wow...thats good personal horror. My characters backstory pre-vampire is where his personal horror starts. I'm trying to avoid the like you said "you're a vampire, its horrid" deal. I'm sure every kine has some baggage they've brought with them into undeath. I should also probably mention that the GM said he wanted our characters at least 24 years old before we've turned. And a max of 20 years of being a vampire.

Dimers
2011-10-25, 01:54 PM
He feeds brothels to animals? Does he at least let the... staff... evacuate the building first?

"Your mother puts license plates in your underwear? How do you sit?" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealGenius)

comicshorse
2011-10-26, 02:30 PM
What was the quest given to you? So far the GM has just put my character through lots of psychological tests to see how he would react like a more intense version of of following the dragons tail and making me go through an extensive paths of fate evaluation. His fate card was revealed as "I:The Magician" which was only by pure fluke that it matched the mentor who saw me as a prospect and brought me forth to the Order. I'd type more about my mentor and my character but it might be long haha.

Quests varied. On guy was told to bring a certain rare book to the Ordo , which turned out to be held in the city in a millionaire's private library. ( and if you're thinking of the easy way to do that we were all too inexperienced to have earned the right to take a ghoul).

Mine was to investigate the death of a minor Mafiosi in what looked liked a animal attack in Central Park, because obviously the Ordo are not above stereotyping.
A lot of research and some talking to some rather dangerous people and it turned out to involve a centuries old vendetta and a guy who had apparently sold his soul for immortality and the ability to transform into a wolf if he wore a enchanted wolf skin during the full moon.
Research indicated that coating the skin with salt would destroy him when he next tried to transform so I broke into his place and rubbed salt and some silver dust into his wolfskin. When he next tried to transform I was tailing him and the skin really seemed to be doing the job in that he pulled it off screaming taking chunks of him with it but I shot him in the head with a shotgun to be sure :smallsmile:
The Ordo were glad that I'd done my research but felt that as I'd mainly used streetwise and the like to track him down I needed a very academic Mentor to cover the area I was weakest in and so picked my librarian.
Still have no idea if they already knew what was happening when they assigned me that Quest