PDA

View Full Version : Searching for an RPG Computer Game

raymundo
2011-10-20, 11:19 AM
I have been without any decent RPG for quite some time now, so I wanted to ask you guys for some recommendations.

I am looking for something challengig, age does not matter. Preferably for PC, SNES, GBA or Nintendo DS, group or single character game, I really do not care for graphics, except the game has the PS1 FF look. Extensive modding would not be a hindrance, tactical or strategic RPGs would be nice too.

You got some ideas? I would really appreciate something to beat my downtime!

Played (and enyojed) so far:
BG1+2, DA1, KOTOR1+2, Icewind Dale, TES4 Oblivion+Morrowind, M&M3+4, Deus Ex: HR, Fable 1-3, NWN1+2, System Shock 2, Fallout 1 to New Vegas, ME1+2, D1+2

Smight
2011-10-20, 11:22 AM
Planescape Torment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment)

Eledragon
2011-10-20, 11:23 AM
Since you enjoyed Might and Magic, I would suggest playing Heroes of Might and Magic III if you can get your hands on it. I've played it for years, and I still get a kick out of it. Basically, it's a strategy RPG (in certain ways) combined with a tactical RPG (the combat is all turn-based and you command an army of monsters) combined with a normal RPG (you level up your hero, give them attributes, give them skills, learn spells...). I give it a very high recommendation.

Grif
2011-10-20, 11:26 AM
If you're looking for a run-of-the-mill hack'n'slash game, then Torchlight would be a good choice. Just don't look to it for a story.

I hear good things about Bastion as well.

tyckspoon
2011-10-20, 11:31 AM
GBA: Final Fantasy 5 and 6 remakes. (I know there are some other pretty good RPGs on there.. I just can't remember any of them >.>)
DS: The World Ends With You, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Chrono Trigger rerelease, Final Fantasy 4 update (also has a GBA edition which uses the old sprite graphics, but I think the DS one is the definitive version of the game.)

warty goblin
2011-10-20, 11:36 AM
You could do worse (and not much better) than the Witcher 2. It walks on the action side of the RPG continuum, but does so with remarkable solidity and quite enjoyable combat. Also it has what may be the most atmospheric graphics of any fantasy RPG I've ever played - it gets the mix of realism and exaggeration just right for everything to be believable but just a bit larger than life.

BRC
2011-10-20, 11:50 AM
If you're looking for a run-of-the-mill hack'n'slash game, then Torchlight would be a good choice. Just don't look to it for a story.

I hear good things about Bastion as well.

Bastion is an amazing game. The RPG elements are limited, but it is, in my opinion, the best example out there of how to tell a story and explain a setting without interrupting gameplay. It's also a load of fun, with great visuals and a wonderful soundtrack.

But I wouldn't really call it an RPG, so it's probably not what you're looking for.

If you're willing to go with a classic, I think Chrono Trigger is available for one or more of the systems you mentioned.

Gorgondantess
2011-10-20, 12:54 PM
Planescape Torment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment)

Seconded, times a million. So, uh, million'ded, or something.

Also, have you tried modding the hell out of Fallout 3? You can pretty much turn it into a whole new game. Takes a couple hours of fiddling, but trust me, it's altogether worth it. You say you're looking for a challenge? Grab Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition and Mart's Mutant Mod. Leave Wanderer's Edition as is, but crank up MMM as much as possible for monster scaling and overleveled monsters. Turns the game into a desperate struggle for survival, where at early levels you'll be spending more time running than anything else.

Also, Jade Empire? It's as worthy a Bioware title as any other, and in fact I'd have to say it's better than most! In fact, the developers have gone on record saying it's pretty much their favorite of the games they've made (this was a few years ago, though).

GungHo
2011-10-20, 01:08 PM
You could do worse (and not much better) than the Witcher 2. It walks on the action side of the RPG continuum, but does so with remarkable solidity and quite enjoyable combat. Also it has what may be the most atmospheric graphics of any fantasy RPG I've ever played - it gets the mix of realism and exaggeration just right for everything to be believable but just a bit larger than life.

The Witcher (1 and 2) is great. It isn't family-friendly by any stretch, but it's loads of fun. If you were going to do both, I'd definitely do 1 before 2. It's not really a matter of "I'm lost here" as it's like trying to go back to ME1 after ME2.

Aidan305
2011-10-20, 01:20 PM
I'll echo the suggestions of Planescape:Torment, and add a couple more in to the mix.

Since you enjoyed M&M 3 and 4, I'll suggest Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven, one of, if not the, best games in that particular series. The Avernum Series, published by Spiderweb Software, is one that I'd recommend playing all six games of and should keep you occupied for several hundred hours.

Liffguard
2011-10-20, 02:37 PM
Another recommendation for Planescape Torment here. Fantastic writing with an engaging story and complex characters. Atmospheric, moody and immersive with amazing environments and music. My only criticism is that the combat, whilst functional, is pretty simplistic. Luckily combat is a very minor part of the game. Check it out.

psilontech
2011-10-20, 03:04 PM
If you enjoyed SS2 and Deus Ex, you might enjoy Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

First person (For the most part, unless you're a git and play it in third person) RPG. You're a vampire. You can play as an insane vampire and have random conversations with a stop sign and your television. (Malkavian)

You say you've played Human Revolution - I assume that means you've played the original and ignored the hell out of Invisible War like any sensible human being would?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-20, 03:12 PM
DS: The World Ends With You, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

I haven't finished Strange Journey yet, but I want to second all of these. If you have a 3DS, get Devil Survivor: Overclocked instead of the basic one, as it's a strict upgrade (fixes some translation errors, more demons, an easy difficulty (which you may or may not want), more story, voice-acting...).

Castaras
2011-10-20, 03:31 PM
Might and Magic VI, VII, VIII. I personally like VIII most, though VII is the best game.

They're fun games. And VIII has playable dragons. And VII has evil magic and killing lots of sissy angels. With fire. :smallbiggrin:

Starwulf
2011-10-20, 04:05 PM
Highly recommend Disgaea for the DS!. A tactical grid-based RPG, it's a helluva lot of fun.

But, as much as I recommend Disgaea, there is an RPG I recommend much more highly for the DS: Rune Factory 1, 2, and 3! Such an amazing RPG, beautiful storyline and graphics, an involved crafting system. I have over 150 hours on the first two, I haven't actually played the third yet, but it will be my next game after Disgaea.

factotum
2011-10-20, 04:10 PM
Two Worlds 2 is actually quite fun--it's approximately a million times better than the first game, at any rate! I would also recommend Gothic, Gothic 2, and Risen (forget Gothic 3 and 4, they're garbage). I'll also echo the existing recommendations of Torchlight and The Witcher 2.

Cespenar
2011-10-20, 04:17 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic 4 always felt more like an RPG instead of a strategy game, so there's that too, I guess.

Cogwheel
2011-10-20, 07:43 PM
While there is a huge pile of games I could recommend, Planescape: Torment is the first one you should be playing. It's incredible. Seriously, I will buy it for you right now if that's what it takes, but you need to play it :smalltongue:

Spartacus
2011-10-20, 07:49 PM
Why is Planescape Torment so good? Coming from someone who's never played it.

Othesemo
2011-10-20, 07:51 PM
I'll second the votes for the Witcher series. It's great.

Of course, the system requirements are fairly high, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you've got a gaming computer.

Cogwheel
2011-10-20, 07:51 PM
Fantastic characters, interesting (and unusual) setting, and the best story I have ever seen in a game. One of the best outside games, for that matter.

I will admit that the combat is awful, mind. Though that's not to be confused with bad gameplay: The sheer amount of little things you can find, not to mention how the game encourages you to resolve situations by throwing words at it, is quite nice.

And yeah, the game kinda forces you to play a high-wisdom wizard if you want to get the best (by which I mean all the plot) out of it. Shame, that. Still amazing, though.

Aidan305
2011-10-20, 10:12 PM
Another one to add to the list now that I think of it is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. It blends together both steampunk and fantasy creating a rather unique and wonderful world, and has an amazing plot to go with it as well.

Zevox
2011-10-20, 10:35 PM
On the DS, if "challenging" is a big criteria, get Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and/or Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. The former is a hybrid turn-based RPG/tactical RPG, and is one of the best games on the system easily. The latter is not as good, but it's definitely extremely challenging (significantly more so than Devil Survivor, and Devil Survivor can be rather challenging to begin with), and it's a highly unusual style of game for these days: a first-person dungeon crawler with turn-based combat.

If "challenging" is less of a criteria, The World Ends With You and/or Radiant Historia. Both excellent games, up there with Devil Survivor as some of the best on the system. The World Ends With You is probably the more challenging of the two, mainly because you can change the difficulty very freely to make it harder if you want (you can actually control your level in addition to the usual difficulty, decreasing your hp in exchange for better reward multipliers for fights), but it's not as challenging as the SMT titles even if you up the difficulty a lot. It is very fun, with a unique action combat system using the touch screen and, if you can multitask well enough, having you fight on both screens at once (if you can't multitask that well, the AI will do well enough on the top screen that you can just play on the touch screen and still beat the game).

Radiant Historia is a turn-based JRPG centered around a time-travel themed story. The setting is a world where the land is gradually turning into a desert, emanating from the ruins of an ancient civilization, and the major countries of the world are at war over the remaining arable land. The focus is on traveling between two timelines that branch off from a key decision early in the game, manipulating both in order to save the world from both the wars that engulf it and the desertification. The gameplay actually makes use of that time-travel theme even in combat, as a central mechanic of the combat is your ability to freely swap your characters' places in the turn order, at the expense of making them more vulnerable until their next turn. This is used with other gameplay mechanics, such as characters attacking in row causing higher damage on each successive attack, and a grid system where you can knock enemies into each others' spaces in order to attack multiple enemies at once, to create a rather unique turn-based RPG experience.

There are more that I could recommend, but those are the best (or in Strange Journey's case the most challenging), and I'd be here all night if I tried to give descriptions like those for all the rest.

Zevox

Knaight
2011-10-20, 10:46 PM
Take a look at Spiderwick Software. The Geneforge series in particular, and Avadon should appeal to you. Moreover, they are quite cheap, and available for download.

Remmirath
2011-10-20, 11:06 PM
I would agree with both Planescape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I notice that you have Icewind Dale but not Icewind Dale II, so I'll throw in a suggestion for Icewind Dale II in case you haven't played it. I don't like it as well as Icewind Dale, but it's still quite fun.

You could also try TES: Arena and Daggerfall. I believe they're both free to download now, so it can't hurt.

Wraith
2011-10-21, 05:10 AM
You want a challenging, strategic game and no-one has yet suggested X-Com: Enemy Unknown? It's about $5 on Steam, you won't be disappointed. :smallsmile:

For SNES-age RPG games, you cannot get much better than Tales of Phantastia or the Secret of Mana (also known as Seiken Densetsu) series of games.

And finally, I notice that you have DE:HR on your list. Have you played the original Deus Ex? It looks older than it is nowadays, but everything else about it is simply excellent.

Pronounceable
2011-10-21, 05:36 AM
Torment is a must, so play it first.

After that, entire lineup of Spiderweb Software (http://www.spidweb.com) will get you your fill of old school RPG experience.

factotum
2011-10-21, 06:57 AM
You want a challenging, strategic game and no-one has yet suggested X-Com: Enemy Unknown?

Maybe because it's not even approximately an RPG? (I've been puzzled about people mentioning the Heroes of Might and Magic games for that reason, to be honest!).

Eledragon
2011-10-21, 08:38 AM
Maybe because it's not even approximately an RPG? (I've been puzzled about people mentioning the Heroes of Might and Magic games for that reason, to be honest!).

...Because it's an RPG? :smallconfused:

You have characters that have stats, level up, gain loot, etc...It just happens that you command an army!

Cespenar
2011-10-21, 08:48 AM

As I've said, I find the fourth game much closer to an RPG than a TBS. The third, not so much.

Also, can we avoid going into the "what makes a true RPG" path this time, everyone?

polity4life
2011-10-21, 08:59 AM
Front Mission 3 would fit the billing if you can tolerate a different flavor of character building and leveling (the pilots are all the same save for their piloting level. The parts you use make the build).

If you like old Microprose games, look up Master of Magic. It's Civilization in a fantasy setting and the leader of each civilization has his own stats and spells, which can be further researched, to aid in city-building or combat. Although is is very much like Heroes of Might and Magic, it has the charm of looking like Civ 1.

The Dungeon Master series, especially number 2, were exceptionally fun. First person action RPG with a fun system of discovering spells. And it's a treat to kill the shop keepers and their uber-powerful guards.

warty goblin
2011-10-21, 01:06 PM
Two Worlds 2 is actually quite fun--it's approximately a million times better than the first game, at any rate! I would also recommend Gothic, Gothic 2, and Risen (forget Gothic 3 and 4, they're garbage). I'll also echo the existing recommendations of Torchlight and The Witcher 2.

Ooh yes, Two Worlds 2 is quite fun. Combat wise I'd put it a bit ahead of the Witcher 2, I like the emphasis on blocking more than the constant dodge-rolling of the Witcher 2, and it feels a bit more controlled as well. Which isn't to say the Witcher 2 has bad combat by any means, it just has a very different feel to it. Two Worlds 2's story however is much worse. If you like wandering around and murdering ostriches* and looting, disassembling and crafting everything that's not nailed down though, it's a very good time.

As an added bonus, you don't even have to know anything about Two Worlds 1 to understand the sequel's plot (stop the guy in the discount Darth Vader outfit from killing your skankily dressed sister about sums it up). Since exposure to the first game's voice acting can cause liquefied brain matter to dribble from your ears, this is an entirely good thing. Don't get me wrong, I actually had a good time with Two Worlds 1, but in an entirely guilty pleasure sort of way. P

*You can also murder rhinos, cheetahs, baboons, hyena people, undead, giant scorpions, random bandits, demon-things, people you feel like robbing, giant ants and dinosaurs. Strangely you can't kill orcs. Why? Because you work for the orcs.

Psychonaut
2011-10-22, 03:35 AM
I have been without any decent RPG for quite some time now, so I wanted to ask you guys for some recommendations.

I am looking for something challengig, age does not matter. Preferably for PC, SNES, GBA or Nintendo DS, group or single character game, I really do not care for graphics, except the game has the PS1 FF look. Extensive modding would not be a hindrance, tactical or strategic RPGs would be nice too.

(Some of this is copied from my post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11901776&postcount=147) in the Obscure but well-made games thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214047).)

Since you specified challenging tactical/strategic games, I'll start off with the ones that best fit these criteria.

Knights of the Chalice has the best implementation of D&D 3.5 combat in any game I've played, with an excellently-designed combat and well-paced, challenging encounters. The story is very simple, and you can only choose from three classes, but it still is the best tactical RPG to be released in the past decade.

Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty good, too. It's got a much better implementation of D&D 3.5 than KotC on paper, since it includes more class options, in-game choices, and D&D mechanics (such as tripping). However, the encounter design is not nearly as good. That said, a mod by the group Circle of 8 greatly improves several aspects of the original game (which was rushed and unfinished, like all of Troika's unpolished gems) and IMO pushes it to a "must-play".

Icewind Dale 2 is probably the best overall Infinity Engine game (which includes the Baldur's Gates series and Planescape: Torment) in terms of challenging combat and good encounter design. It's also 3.0, so there's a lot more ability to customize your characters than in the others.

Finally, some people consider Jagged Alliance 2 to be an RPG. I don't, but it definitely hits areas that will appeal to some RPG players (good character customization if you decide to build a custom merc, well-designed companions with personalities of their own, excellent turn-based combat).

For some less challenging/tactical/strategic suggestions:

Planescape: Torment, as others have suggested, has one of the best and most unique stories, characters, and settings you'll find in an RPG. Others have said plenty about it, so I won't go into more detail, but I will say one thing: ignore anything anyone tells you about the sort of character you should play. In fact, avoid all information about the game until you have finished it. If you enjoy the story, you'll want to replay it at some point, and if you go for the "optimal" character stats, there will be less cool stuff for you to discover on subsequent playthroughs. It's sort of like the Fallouts in this respect; there are definitely some stats that are more useful for the player character than others, but experimenting with different builds/personalities and discovering them on your own is part of the fun.

(Oh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8usOiu8StWQ) yeah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05awcTskKE), and (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQz0thF2pA&feature=related) it's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-GUHguGFk) also (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CcYDWvLmZI) got (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i75DqFHdpU) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAiypc2wsOA) pretty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZgUEtTPjc) cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJmW94Z-9I) background (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QINNwR6Nw) music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPm1BpFD83M) that I find fits the settings/characters it's used for quite well. Mark Morgan is great at simple but effective atmospheric music.)

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is quite an enjoyable game throughout the first half, which de-emphasizes combat and incorporates multiple quest solutions, and the second half isn't as bad as people make it out to be - just disappointing after the promising first half. The ending, in fact, is one of my favorite game endings ever for the way it pulls the rug out from under the player and turns something which might otherwise have been an anticlimax into a climax (just not the climax you might have expected). It's got excellent writing and some of the best voice-acting I've encountered in a game, as well. Many parts of the game have great atmosphere, and playing through it as a Malkavian is a decidedly unique experience (not recommended for first-time players due to having entirely rewritten dialogues that may be hard to understand at times - sort of like a low-intelligence character in the first two Fallouts and Arcanum, but with much more interesting content) that makes it worth at least one replay.

Speaking of Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura, it's a great game in the vein of the first two Fallouts. It's got an excellent steampunk/fantasy setting, an emphasis on non-combat skills that's similar to the Fallouts, beautiful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjbWuXZA5w), haunting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCMk57X4Iw) music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee9j7lzC85U) performed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqBbRKpKMc) entirely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lNdh4HVD4) by (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs0S1L2plT8) a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxE3yBID8LM) string (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0107_YScjw) quartet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvLbivnIZBA) (which fits with the Victorian-esque setting quite well), a huge world with lots of places you can find if you explore thoroughly, and some great writing as well as a plot that seems generic but gradually comes to subvert a lot of the tropes it appears to invoke at first. The main downside is the combat: it's horrible, and there's a lot of it. Fortunately, you can get through it pretty quickly by using a couple of overpowered spells/skills and switching to real-time combat in the options menu.

Gothic and Gothic 2, as well as Risen, are excellent action-RPGs with open worlds, better combat than most ARPGs (I'm thinking especially of Diablo clones here), and a lot of things to discover. There's also some good choices to be made, with your faction choice determining a lot about how you'll play the game, what quests you'll receive, and how people will treat you. Night of the Raven is an expansion that adds some new areas to Gothic 2 and overhauls the combat to make it much more challenging, and I definitely recommend it (though you might want to wait until after you've gotten used to the Gothic combat to install it if you start with Gothic 2).

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is much more linear than the Gothics and Risen, but has some of the most excellent combat I've found in an ARPG. (I wouldn't call it strategic/tactical, per se, just very fun in how it handles.)

The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are both pretty good ARPGs with good stories and lots of well-designed choices. Less linear than DMoMaM, but more linear than the Gothics. The (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yg73uusHo) first (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4klDPUmPq4) one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-o9bp4L3qE) has (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtEC8xP0rvw) an (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPuRRRw_ku8) excellent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJBIw8mGaM), atmospheric (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1Gld-0sAo) soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw), too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5nI6YFMXw), although I don't remember much music from the second one aside from a few battle pieces. (Might edit this post to add some later when I get a chance to pull out some soundtracks; there's also some music from Icewind Dale 2 and ToEE worth mentioning, IIRC.)

Divine Divinity and Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga (which combines Divinity 2: Ego Draconis and its expansion, Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance) are pretty much the only Diablo clones I've ever liked. They have fairly open worlds with lots of areas to explore, a great sense of humor that pokes fun at several RPG tropes, and some of the best music I've encountered in a video game (some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDNdOAOHIY) good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JXzScgdRM) samples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL68jPSh_Hg) from (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzDtJcI9xE) the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKENd-Sz60) first (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA5ISxErkv4) game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMeWlBLHwU) in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0x9O-0EAgc) the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlybrc2IUIE) series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=671zImRnPNw) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiaQyYq3yg) are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBTzqSmpFuE) some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb7RDY_WF2M) more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sWV6c4D_k) good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lojs4PwmOg) samples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsvDD9Sz_8) from (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUd8QR9A8Rk) the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vnpeeBJ5ig) second (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WatqoJBlNsg) game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tji64I25TU) in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xWC3EP1Zog) the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ldAUVPmy8) series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOcZkBh3Eis)). Skip Beyond Divinity, though; I've never played it, but everyone I've met who has tells me it's the low point in the series.

Anachronox is closer in gameplay to a typical JRPG than a western RPG, but it's got excellent humor and characters and a pretty cool setting/plot. It's pretty much the only game with JRPG combat and so linear a story that I can stand enough to play through again these days, so that should tell you something about how strong its other qualities are.

The Geneforge series is pretty good. The games are very limited in terms of graphics, sound, and combat, but still quite a bit of fun due to the variability of playing styles supported and tweaks/rebalances with each new iteration that force you to rethink your old strategies. They also have an interesting, unusual setting - although it becomes more generic with later games in the series - and leave many choices up to the player, who must choose which of the morally gray factions to support (in later games, there are some more black and white factions that have split off from the ones in older games, but there are also more factions overall, and you're given more options in terms of classes). Overall, I'd recommend the original Geneforge for its setting and laying out the premise of the rest of the series and Geneforge 4: Rebellion and Geneforge 5: Overthrow for improving upon several basic aspects of the interface and controls over the first three (to the point that it's very hard for me to go back to them), as well as improving other gameplay elements and adding more spells and creations. 3 is generally considered the worst game in the series among fans.

GolemsVoice
2011-10-22, 06:02 AM
Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is quite an enjoyable game throughout the first half, which de-emphasizes combat and incorporates multiple quest solutions, and the second half isn't as bad as people make it out to be - just disappointing after the promising first half. The ending, in fact, is one of my favorite game endings ever for the way it pulls the rug out from under the player and turns something which might otherwise have been an anticlimax into a climax (just not the climax you might have expected). It's got excellent writing and some of the best voice-acting I've encountered in a game, as well. Many parts of the game have great atmosphere, and playing through it as a Malkavian is a decidedly unique experience (not recommended for first-time players due to having entirely rewritten dialogues that may be hard to understand at times - sort of like a low-intelligence character in the first two Fallouts and Arcanum, but with much more interesting content) that makes it worth at least one replay.

It also has a ton of mods that include various elements from White Wolf's game, if you're a fan of VtM.

raymundo
2011-10-23, 06:00 AM
Wow. That was a freaking lot of awesome recommendations! Thanks a lot to everyone! Reading through the posts, my initial list of games I've played already was pretty lackluster, but I found a lot of very promising looking titles and will check them out in the months to come.

On an other note, Jagged Alliance 2 with Ja2 1.14 HAM WF + Weapon Mods is pretty much one of the best "almost"-RPGs ever. A possitive megaton of weapons and different equipment (mortars, RPGs, napalm, white phosphor, smoke screens, tear gas, mustard gas, C4, various kinds of anti-personel mines, ..). Needless to say, I really enjoy outfitting a dozen of mercs on scratch from underwear to assault rifle. There aren't by any chance fantasy-RPGs with this level of customization?

And yes, I will give Planescape: Torment another try. To my shame, I had it lying about for some time now, but never spend more than a few hours with it..

For the record, X-Com series and HOMM series is RPGish enough to suit my tastes, so don't restrain yourselves from recommending them if you feel so inclined.

factotum
2011-10-23, 11:44 AM
There aren't by any chance fantasy-RPGs with this level of customization?

You tend to find that level of customisation in action RPGs--stuff like Diablo 2, Torchlight, and the Sacred series. "Traditional" RPGs, somewhat less so, although Morrowind probably comes closest out of the ones I've played.

Sharoth
2011-10-25, 06:25 AM
There are lots of good ideas here. I will have to check them out sometime.

raymundo
2011-10-25, 03:24 PM
You tend to find that level of customisation in action RPGs--stuff like Diablo 2, Torchlight, and the Sacred series. "Traditional" RPGs, somewhat less so, although Morrowind probably comes closest out of the ones I've played.

Diablo and Sacred are quite conservative on the matter of equipment customization compared to Jagged Alliance 2. But I guess that just means nobody has an idea.

ToEE is by the way pretty awesome. Shame it is so very short and its system never was more widely used - pretty much the best digitalisation of the D&D system, in my opinion. Would have been awesome to play something epic like NWN2 with this engine.