PDA

View Full Version : My father's DDO account has been hacked

Maxios
2011-10-20, 12:25 PM
Last night while he was playing DDO, he got booted out of the server. He tried to log back in and it said he couldn't connect. He rebooted the computer and tried to enter DDO, but it said he put in the wrong password.
This morning, he called Turbine and they told him somebody changed his password last night. This is the first time anyone's ever hacked my dad's account, and he's been playing DDO since it first came out (he was even part of the Beta).

MCerberus
2011-10-20, 12:27 PM
Run a virus/malware sweep
Have him start changing passwords for... well everything.
If he doesn't already, put some kind of script blocker in his browser.

Eakin
2011-10-20, 12:39 PM
I'm glad he caught it quickly, hopefully there was no lasting harm done. Scrub the system for keyloggers and other malware, and if he used the same password for anything else he needs to change those as well to be safe.

GungHo
2011-10-20, 12:47 PM
Other things to consider...

Be careful of phishing links. These can be very sophisticated and look legitmate (so, looking for Engrish doesn't cut it). However, there's no reason Turbine, Blizzard, Bank of America, or any other service provider needs you to click through their links in an email for you to enter your passwords. If it's an account alert, pull up a completely different window and log in to the company's main site through a typed-in link or trusted bookmark if you're really curious.

Don't share passwords/accounts.

Don't use the same password for all accounts. This one is hard to enforce because we have so many accounts, but really... using the same account everywhere or minor variations on those accounts just means you have a big problem.

Don't write down passwords or post them in a publically accessable document/cloud. I've been having a field day with people putting their passwords into SharePoint documents here at work.

Don't use easily guessed passwords (like your kid's names, birthdays, Superman).

Don't use default passwords. I still get into SQL and Oracle servers with SA/SA or admin/admin.

Don't use an administrator account for casual use. Really... there's no reason if you need admin access to browse the web. If you're installing games, sure... use an admin account for that. But otherwise a site can't fiddle with your registry unless you let it.

Use malware/spyware/virus protection and keep it up to date. There are perfectly good products that are perfectly free. You can even use multiple brands for malware and spyware, though real-time virus protection suites don't usually get along.

Maxios
2011-10-20, 02:05 PM
Okay, the virus scan is done. The only thing the software found was tracking cookies. Seventy-five of them. There's a scan running on the upstairs computer as well, but that won't be done for another hour or two.

Maxios
2011-10-20, 08:22 PM
My father's DDO account just got reset. He logged into Kyhber (his normal server) and it says one of his characters, a cleric, was the most recent played when the last character he played was a fighter. He logged into his fighter and found and all of his greenscale weapons are gone. A lot of his other gear's gone (sold, like the green scale weapons) and now he only has 300 platnium coin.

Lord Loss
2011-10-21, 07:24 PM
That really, really really sucks. :smallfrown:

I've never been victim of this form of cyberattack, but I can imagine losing all my data on any of the games I invest quite a bit of time in and it frustrates me that people are mean-spirited enough to destroy the hours of work spent making a character that powerful. At least you managed to resolve the issue.

Is it possible to have the technical support return your character to his prior state, or otherwise give your character his previous stuff, or the equivalent? Or will you have to earn everything anew?

MCerberus
2011-10-21, 08:41 PM
My father's DDO account just got reset. He logged into Kyhber (his normal server) and it says one of his characters, a cleric, was the most recent played when the last character he played was a fighter. He logged into his fighter and found and all of his greenscale weapons are gone. A lot of his other gear's gone (sold, like the green scale weapons) and now he only has 300 platnium coin.

Is he VIP? If so put out a ticket, companies usually have account restore procedures.

If he's free or premium (and hasn't put money in the system last 30 days) he might be SoL

Maxios
2011-10-21, 08:54 PM
People on the guild my father's in gave him a bunch of platnium pieces and gear. He managed to buy back most of his gear. He also set a ticket in to Turbine.