PDA

View Full Version : Iron Fist! Need help re-building an old monk.

Gullintanni
2011-10-20, 12:41 PM
Hey everyone! I regret that I must bring you yet another Monk thread. Hopefully I can mix it up a bit for you all, as I have some special requirements that should make this a bit more fun.

One of my old 1st Ed players ran a Monk who lost his left hand as punishment for flipping off one of his superiors. This character later died in a TPK that turned out making for an ending that they all talk about to this day. The player was and still is pretty attached to the character, so I'd like to bring him back in my upcoming game with a few caveats.

1. The player in question has since discovered Warforged. I'd like to help him achieve a Warforged-ish flavor by resurrecting the character in question with an attached bionic/robotic/clockwork hand, that can be enchanted for use with his unarmed strikes. Are there any official rules for something like this? Please include a sourcebook.

2. We all know monks suck. But that's what the class was in ye olden Tabletop RPG, and so for my purposes, the build must include two levels of monk. The build should stay melee focused (punching preferred) but other than that there are no limitations. I'd like a Gish type character. I'm intrigued with Psionics of late, and I'd be willing to learn the system if the end result is good enough...

3. No Tome of Battle. Sorry folks. Unarmed Swordsage does it better. I know. But, it's gotta be monk. Nostalgia is kinda non-negotiable.

Thanks!

Hirax
2011-10-20, 01:17 PM
Monster Manual 2 has half-golems, which are exactly what you describe: replacing missing body parts with metal or other magially animated prosthetics. Mechanically it's doubtful you'd want to use it, but you could use its fluff in a completely non-mechanical way, and have the only significance of the hand be plot or RP hooks.

As for a build, a simple one is monk2/psywar9 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm)/slayer9 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)
This keeps it very simple, ends up with 16 BAB, a fully progressed flurry, 6th level psychic warrior powers, and only missing the final step on a monk's damage progression.

However, this requires a small amount of book dumpster diving for feats. Eberron Campaign Setting introduces the feat Monastic Training, which can be taken at monk level 1, 2, or 6, in place of any of the bonus feats the class normally provides. I recommend taking it at first level and forgetting about improved crapple and stunning fail. Next you need to use your first or third level feat on Tashalatora, found in Secrets of Sarlona. This feat allows a psionic class of your choice to advance a monk's flurry, unarmed damage, and AC bonus. These two feats are the cornerstone of any psionic monk build. While it wouldn't interest you now presumably, note that you don't need to be a monk to take monastic training or tashalatora, a straight psyway 11 with both feats would have the AC, unarmed strike, and flurry of an 11th level monk, just the same as the monk2/psywar9 does.

Zaq
2011-10-20, 01:29 PM
At first level, the Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron, pg. 81) replaces one of their hands with a Battlefist, which is pretty much exactly what you want to do. It requires 8 ranks in one of several certain Craft skills (easy enough), but it also requires Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms and Armor, which are harder for a Monk to get. It's a RAW way of replacing your hand with a metal one, though.

The Mighty Arms graft from Faiths of Eberron (pg. 158) might be more accessible. It's only 1,000 gp, too.

Gullintanni
2011-10-20, 01:30 PM
Sourcebooks are not really an issue, besides ToB. No 3rd party, no Dragon material. But otherwise...this is monk optimization. I'm keeping my source list open ended, they need all the help they can get.

Speaking of additional sourcebooks, I should mention that Pathfinder content is permissible, as I know Monks got a pretty big boost out of PF.

Half-Golem is out. MM2 content is pretty questionable. And there really do need to be at least two levels of monk. The original character was a monk, and so, for fluff reasons, should have a couple levels of Monk kicking around in the build. They can be kept to a minimum as long as the monkish flavor remains intact to some degree.

At first level, the Renegade Mastermaker (Magic of Eberron, pg. 81) replaces one of their hands with a Battlefist, which is pretty much exactly what you want to do. It requires 8 ranks in one of several certain Craft skills (easy enough), but it also requires Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms and Armor, which are harder for a Monk to get. It's a RAW way of replacing your hand with a metal one, though.

The Mighty Arms graft from Faiths of Eberron (pg. 158) might be more accessible. It's only 1,000 gp, too.

I must admit that I like the former option a lot. I'll investigate and see if I can rule zero an elegant adaptation. It's just a matter of replacing someone else's hand instead of your own, right? :smallsmile:

Hirax
2011-10-20, 01:39 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190350) has a nice list of grafts if that's of interest, perhaps replace the hand with one of these.

edit: in particular the maug graft locking hand is what I had in mind.
edit2: also, a monk wouldn't theoretically be inhibited by lacking a hand, as far as combat is concerned. Perhaps make him start the game without it, and obtain it during the campaign, with whatever method you decide to be fitting.

Lateral
2011-10-20, 06:41 PM
As for a build, a simple one is monk2/psywar9 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm)/slayer9 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)
This keeps it very simple, ends up with 16 BAB, a fully progressed flurry, 6th level psychic warrior powers, and only missing the final step on a monk's damage progression.

However, this requires a small amount of book dumpster diving for feats. Eberron Campaign Setting introduces the feat Monastic Training, which can be taken at monk level 1, 2, or 6, in place of any of the bonus feats the class normally provides. I recommend taking it at first level and forgetting about improved crapple and stunning fail. Next you need to use your first or third level feat on Tashalatora, found in Secrets of Sarlona. This feat allows a psionic class of your choice to advance a monk's flurry, unarmed damage, and AC bonus. These two feats are the cornerstone of any psionic monk build. While it wouldn't interest you now presumably, note that you don't need to be a monk to take monastic training or tashalatora, a straight psyway 11 with both feats would have the AC, unarmed strike, and flurry of an 11th level monk, just the same as the monk2/psywar9 does.
This. Psionic monks are pretty much the ultimate monk; Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 18 is a perfectly viable progression, as is Monk 2/ Psychic Warrior 9/Slayer 9; the latter get a fourth iterative attack and better class features, but slightly less manifesting, less unarmed strike damage, and less bonus feats than the former.

hex0
2011-10-20, 06:44 PM
If you want the coolness that is Full BAB Flurry, take Shou Disciple.

Gullintanni
2011-10-21, 06:40 AM
Shou Disciple? Unapproachable East, right? Hmm...not sure I can get that one. We'll see.

To those suggesting Monk/Psywar/Slayer ...is this just Monk2/PsyWar4 in E6? Can one PrC into Slayer before level 6?

EDIT:

I've been doing some additional reading...how well does Ardent play with a Tashalatora built Monk? Would Monk2/Ardent4 work?

Lateral
2011-10-21, 02:24 PM
Shou Disciple? Unapproachable East, right? Hmm...not sure I can get that one. We'll see.

To those suggesting Monk/Psywar/Slayer ...is this just Monk2/PsyWar4 in E6? Can one PrC into Slayer before level 6?

EDIT:

I've been doing some additional reading...how well does Ardent play with a Tashalatora built Monk? Would Monk2/Ardent4 work?

Wait, you're talking about *E6*? Dude, that's something that should've been mentioned in the OP.

Ardent is a full-casting, 3/4 BAB psionic class; as such, it makes a powerful Tash. You'll lose out on bonus feats, but you'll have more manifesting; furthermore, you can take Practiced Manifester at some point so that you gain access to 3rd level powers.

Randomguy
2011-10-21, 06:40 PM
You can get some fun monk feats from complete warrior: Weakening touch and Pain touch. You can also get Fiery fist, from PHB2, as a monk bonus feat at lvl 2. Sun school is also an option, but improved natural attack is a must for monks.

A one level dip into rogue and the Aescetic Rogue feat will let your rogue and monk levels stack for sneak attack and unarmed damage, as well as some decent damage.

Take weapon finesse and have high dexterity and wisdom: Don't focus on dealing damage, that's the fighters job. Your job will be to sneak attack as much as you can, and stun and grapple on occasion (But only against people with BAB lower or equal to yours). Improved disarm isn't worth it: A stunned target drops whatever they're holding anyway.

Also, There's a feat from tome of battle called Snap kick, which gives you an extra unarmed attack at a -2 penalty.

And of course, if you're homebrew friendly, a monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122) would be good.

A good buff for the allied wizard to cast on the monk is greater mighty wallop, for lots of extra damage. An eternal wand would be good. So would an eternal wand of greater magic fang/weapon.

Also, remember that a monks unarmed strikes count as manufactured weapons, so technically they can be enchanted like weapons can.

Gullintanni
2011-10-22, 05:16 PM
Wait, you're talking about *E6*? Dude, that's something that should've been mentioned in the OP.

Ardent is a full-casting, 3/4 BAB psionic class; as such, it makes a powerful Tash. You'll lose out on bonus feats, but you'll have more manifesting; furthermore, you can take Practiced Manifester at some point so that you gain access to 3rd level powers.

I'm not looking for exclusively E6 ideas. I can adapt if I need to, so I'd prefer builds all the way to level 20...I'd explored the Ardent option and I found that the mantles lack a lot of the more combat specialized psionic abilities. For example, I don't think Expansion is on the Ardent list at all.

Lateral
2011-10-22, 06:41 PM
I'm not looking for exclusively E6 ideas. I can adapt if I need to, so I'd prefer builds all the way to level 20...I'd explored the Ardent option and I found that the mantles lack a lot of the more combat specialized psionic abilities. For example, I don't think Expansion is on the Ardent list at all.

That is true; however, it's still a full caster. Pretty much no matter what, the Monk/Ardent build will be more powerful than the Monk/Psychic warrior build. (Of course, I personally prefer the latter, since it's more synergistic.)