PDA

View Full Version : [3,5 Affiliation] The Dark Brotherhood. PEACH

PetterTomBos
2011-10-20, 02:43 PM
The Dark Brotherhood

I'm in it for the cash. What the guys up at the top does.. I simply do not know.
Blacksuit, a brother

http://www.freewebs.com/wholemthrfkr/dark%20brotherhood%20symbol.jpg

The dark brotherhood is small in numbers, but strong in influence. They have an unofficial seat in the king's council and their influence seem to appear wherever you go, however slightly. They are organized in cells, protected by a powerfull member. The base of the cell is called a Safe Place. Want to contact them? Just go to a somewhat shady or rough street and state your intent some times. They may show up.

Scale 15. Nobody below score 20 knows who the leader is, but he has the Assasinate, Pariah and Trade abilities, not that he seems to use them very often. An assasin usually suffices.

Affiliation Score modifiers

{table=head] Criteria | Score modifier
Character Lvl. | +1 The brotherhood values raw power |
10 Ranks in Hide/Move Silently/Disguise/Forgery/Spot | +1 per skill |
Successfull mission | +1 (easy) +2 (medium) +3 (hard) |
Noble Title| +1|
Protect a Safeplace| +3 minimum, might be more depending on place|
Leadership's discretion| +??? Sometimes someone will be awarded from the higher up folks. You might have done something pleasing, yet not openly acknowledged.|

Good alignment | -2|
Fails to Protect a Safeplace| -10|
Fails to go trough with mission| -2|
[/table]

Ex members: If your score falls below 5 you are thrown out. You should however be vary, you might be their next target.. (50% chance for EL = your lvl. assasin). Walking around with a negative score is downright lethal.

An easy mission might involve fights with CR<Your Lvl, some secrecy and riddles the DM knows multiple ways to solve. On medium the fights are CR around your lvl., the DM should know a way to solve things, but not more than one. Most things goes for hard missions, the fight could very well be a challenge even for your entire party, the DM have no obligation to have a possible solution in his head. You are on your own. If something is harder than hard, it might be multiple missions in one.

A mission usually involves killing someone/something. Easy might be to poison somene the brotherhood tricked into travelling with you. If you are asked to kidnap someone about your lvl. , that is never alone but on the bathroom, without anyone noticing it that might be medium. Killing the kings firstborn might very well be hard, and if you are supposed to find out who he is first that might be medium+hard. Missions are typically rewarded with gold (typically 1-3 times avr. gold/encounter in the DMG), but might not always be, especially if you are doing alot of them. If you include others in your plans the brotherhood should know, and you are expected to somehow share your rewards with them.

Benefits/duties

{table=head] Score/Title | Benefit/duty
5 Brother | You are welcomed for some time in the safe place and can do missions. |
10 | +2 to Know(Local). The network will Gather Information for you, Gather Info bonus = Your Score - 5. You may use the brotherhood to buy/sell items. Any items goes, you sell for 60%, buys like the city is 2 steps bigger
10 | You can no longer say no to easy/medium missions (-1 to score if you do), unless you have a really good reason.

15 | If you are lucky you might be given some random goodies when trading trough the brotherhood (suddenly your +2 bow comes with 5 +1 arrows of bane (humanoid)). (max 10% of the items value, Chance of stuff is around 2*score %, but the DM might tweak it however he will, as the freebies are purely tokens of goodwill from above)

20 Sir | You are now a Sir and may issue missions of your own (as long as you pay people properly) and protect a Safe Place if you get the chance
20 | No matter where you are, you can buy/sell as in a metropolis. Talk it trough, some time (d4 days) later it appears by your bed.
20 | You cannot turn down the opportunity to Protect a Safe Place (-5) if you do, unless you have a really good reason

25 | You can request a magic item once per month, given that it has some connection to brotherhoodly business. Chance of getting is 50k/cost %

30 Master | You can issue assasinations for free. You finally get some overview over what the leadership of the Brotherhood are doing.

[/table]

A really good reason should include some reason relevant to the brotherhood, or your use to them. Having to follow your party (which you subterfuge into helping you) or other missions are examples of really good reasons.

A protector of a Safe Place have to protect it from everything from being detected by enemies of the Brotherhood to being down right attacked by the goverment. You are expected to be on good footing with most of the city, but not to stay put at the place at all times.

On demand of one of my players, that has played a lot of oblivion :) Comments most welcome :)

Domriso
2011-10-21, 02:24 AM
You can request a magic item once per month, given that it has some connection to brotherhoodly business. Chance of getting is Cost/10k %.

I don't think you intended it, but as written, the more expensive an item, the easier it is to obtain. I'm assuming you meant that the less expensive the item was, the more likely it would be to find it. What you want (I think) is (10,000/the cost of the item)%. That makes anything 100 gp or less an automatic success, and everything above that essentially get smaller and smaller.

As for the rest of it, it looks something like a Dark Brotherhood copy, and it might do its job. I've never been very well versed in the affiliations myself, so I'm not really sure if it would work or not.

PetterTomBos
2011-10-21, 08:19 AM
I don't think you intended it, but as written, the more expensive an item, the easier it is to obtain. I'm assuming you meant that the less expensive the item was, the more likely it would be to find it. What you want (I think) is (10,000/the cost of the item)%. That makes anything 100 gp or less an automatic success, and everything above that essentially get smaller and smaller.

As for the rest of it, it looks something like a Dark Brotherhood copy, and it might do its job. I've never been very well versed in the affiliations myself, so I'm not really sure if it would work or not.

Thanks for spotting the error! (I should be ashamed of myself as a physicist!) I also upped it a little, to make it more useful :)

I surely hope so, thanks for the comment :)

PetterTomBos
2011-10-21, 10:58 AM
And added some text on easy to hard missions