PDA

View Full Version : [PF] A spot of help with a Druid

hillkitler
2011-10-20, 02:55 PM
An inexperienced (completely clueless) player in my gaming group has opted to play a Druid without much (or any) knowledge relating to the class. Come last gaming session, I realized that the Druid in question hadn't prepared any spells. In fact, the player didn't even realize that the Druid was CAPABLE of casting spells, which posed a bit of a problem. Anyway, I've been entrusted with the player's character sheet and have taken it upon myself to rebuild the character into a something that is viable and fun to play for a complete beginner. I'm not aiming for super optimization or min-maxing, just something that is fun and accessible. We've already decided to forego an Animal Companion in favor of a Domain in order to streamline things as much as possible. I welcome any other suggestions that the good people of the playground could give me. Note also that the player is a very intelligent person, but without much grasp of the game at this point. Things should be a little easier once we've made it past the learning curve.

So far we've got a Lvl 3 Half-elf with stats as follows: 13, 14, 16, 17, 17, 18

Please help me simplify this in any way possible (feat choices, domain choice, etc.). PF material only, as I don't want to deal with getting everything GM approved. Thanks a lot, everyone!

Gnaeus
2011-10-20, 04:35 PM
Personally, I would retain the AC. Compared with everything else involved in druid, it really isn't that complicated, it is just making attack rolls.

The easiest thing to do would be a combat druid. Stats like Str 20, Wis 17, Con 16, Dex 16. Take one of the Animal Shaman variants to simplify both Wildshape and summons (A bear Shaman, for example, will almost always want to wildshape into a bear, and summon bears. This makes record keeping easier). Take natural spell ASAP, along with combat type feats (like the improved trip or improved grapple line, depending on animal form chosen, maybe toughness or power attack), and pretend you are a melee combatant who has spells for buffing, utility or out of combat healing. This is NOT the strongest druid you can make by a long shot, but it is one of the simplest to play.

Another good option is ranged combatant. Wisdom 20, Dex 17, Con 17. Take an animal companion like a Roc, Giant Wasp or Dire Bat (which will become your mount at level 7). At low levels, start fights with Flaming sphere, then produce flame for a ranged touch attack. At higher levels, lots of good damage or save or lose spells become available. Take feats that help you using your magic on enemies.

Druids are a tier 1 class. They can do ANYTHING. Aside from natural spell, which is almost a must for any optimized druid who can wildshape, you just pick a focus for what you want your guy to do and use your feats to do that.