PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief week: Wizard Killing

Little Brother
2011-10-20, 05:43 PM
So, it seems that everyone has followed me in the spellthief threads, so to continue on with the trend: I need to kill some wizards: More Specifically:

I need to be able to kill wizards, more specifically Dread Necros and Warmages. MAYBE Beguilers, but probably Dread Necros the most.
I need to be able to kill or avoid their minions, summons, Golems, and Zombies
I need the ability to sneak up on them, preferably through EEEVIL TOWERS OF DOOOOOOM! or the like.
I need to be able to help my party. I don't need to be able to tank, that's what the moron with the greatsword is for.
I need to be able to destroy charmed minions, or just irritating bandits/whatever.
I need to be able to kill monsters, especially aberrations and giants.
I need to be useful against stuff that's immune to mind-affecting stuff

Any sources are allowed, so long as they are WotC allowed, so long as they aren't stupid. Any multiclassing is fine.

Thanks for any help!

hex0
2011-10-20, 06:27 PM
The lesson learned from Spellthief week: Always use the Trickster Variant.
Sub-lesson: Play a Neraph.

Snooping as usual, I see! Sounds like this to me:

Beguiler 3/Trickster Spellthief 2/Unseen Seer 5 to start would be keen. Possibly getting Rainbow Servant and/or Prestige Bard to augment the Beguiler list.

Other Builds of note:

Killing is a bit tougher. The Mage-slayer feats cramp your caster level, but you can exploit that by abusing Master Spellthief with Chameleon's 2x level caster level (and Practiced Spellcaster):

Trickster Spellthief 4/Mystic Ranger (FE: Arcanists) 2/Chameleon 10 to start

Duskblade Build?: Trickster Spellthief 1/Duskblade 13/Prestige Bard 1/Sublime Chord 2/Prestige Bard 1/Abjurant Champion 2

Trickster Spellthief gets into Swiftblade at the level after getting Absorb Spell, as well.

Trickster Spellthief 7/Swiftblade 9/xxx 4

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-10-20, 07:14 PM
The trickster variant is hard to beat. For purposes of killing casters, you'll want some form of invisibility, some means to bypass sneak attack immunity (Grave Strike comes to mind, just throw it into a wand chamber).

For a build, I'm a fan of the following:

Unseen Seer 1 (Trickster variant if someone else can find traps)/Wizard 4/Unseen 10. Last five levels are really up to you. If you want to focus on being in melee combat with TWFing, then I'd head into Abjurant Champion for the extra BAB and pretty sweet class features. If you want more sneak attack, then you can either go into Arcane Trickster or Spellwarp Sniper.

Personally, I prefer Abjurant Champion or maybe Uncanny Trickster advancing Unseen Seer, but really, it's up to you.

Feats, in no particular order: Master Spellthief, Craven, Extend Spell, either TWFing or pre-reqs for Abjurant Champion/Uncanny Trickster/etc, maybe persistent spell for when you get 8th level spell slots.

Advanced Learning should go to interesting divine divination spells. I'm a big fan of Healer's Vision (either for easier sneak attacks or using healing wands), Divine Insight (+15 to a skill check? Why, yes, please!), and Hunter's Eye. Hunter's Eye is non-negotiable. Trading 2nd level spell slots for 1/3 CL d6 sneak attack for a round is really, really nice.

JaronK
2011-10-20, 07:25 PM
If you're taking down Dread Necromancers, you'll need a way to sneak attack undead (Truedeath Crystals or Gravestrike Wands if those will work in your game).

If Consider going Necropolitan to reduce your MAD issues. If so, disguise as living to avoid getting target fired by anti undead spells. If you don't go undead... disguise yourself as undead, so they don't target your weak fort save, and if you get lucky they attack you with their own anti undead abilities.

A nasty anti caster build would be a Necropolitan Whispergnome Spellthief 6/Earthdreamer 5/Mindbender 1/Shadowcraft Mage 5 with a Major Bloodline and the Master Spellthief feat, along with Lifesight, Mindsight, and Master of Poisons. Hidden Talent can get you poison. Phase through the earth, see through earth, instantly identify undead and living targets, and be impossible to see. Then steal their spells and turn them into Shadow Conjurations (for example, conjurations of poison!). The concealment helps too. Use sneak attack to steal spells while using poison to get actual kills (and get yourself something specific to undead killing when taking on those).

JaronK

suhkkaet
2011-10-21, 04:49 AM
Mmm. Spellthief.
This post (http://www.enworld.org/forum/5402087-post10.html) explains some of the goodness from the spellthief.
Remember to check out the ToM for feats which favor spellthieves. (Also, this guide-ish thing (http://www.uselessbabble.com/dnd/articles/class/spellthief.shtml) is awesome)

Also, take the godsblood spelltheft feat.
And see here as well (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26798961/Spellthief_Recommendations).
There are lots of good options out there.

I, myself, really like the spellthief, without multiclassing. Although, doing another arcane caster can (and probably will) boost your survivability (through buffs and MOAR spells). Perhaps a spellthief/warmage could be fun.

Edit; Fixed guide-ish link.
Edit#2; Oh, and, never take the spelleater ACF. It's not worth it when there's a feat which does the same thing, but better. Disregard unless your DM allows homebrew.

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 04:51 AM
Only need to kill the focused casters? This might be doable!

It's a shame you have casting, as that means Mage Slayer is a big hit to take.

suhkkaet
2011-10-21, 05:03 AM

Spellskill is a spellthief ACF which removes the ability to cast spells as a spellthief (steal spell is still available). One could combine this with hamper magic ACF, which removes your ability to steal energy resistance or spell-like abilities, but instead you can dampen the magical, spell-like or supernatural abilities of your SA target.

That's pretty anti-mage, and should probably work with Mage Slayer.

hex0
2011-10-21, 02:26 PM
Only need to kill the focused casters? This might be doable!

Practiced Spellcasting makes up for Mage Slayer 1:1. With Master Spellthief and a 2x level casting prc (like Chameleon), it balances out quickly for the other feats too.

Kobold-Bard
2011-10-21, 02:30 PM
What's this Trickster variant?

hex0
2011-10-21, 04:07 PM
What's this Trickster variant?

Dragon #353

Trade all but the first sneak attack, trapfinding, 2 skills a level, most of the class skills in for the same spells per day/known as a bard. And you can choose bard or wizard spells.

Talionis
2011-10-21, 06:31 PM
If you're taking down Dread Necromancers, you'll need a way to sneak attack undead (Truedeath Crystals or their own anti undead abilities.

A nasty anti caster build would be a Necropolitan Whispergnome Spellthief 6/Earthdreamer 5/Mindbender 1/Shadowcraft Mage 5 with a Major Bloodline and the Master Spellthief feat, along with Lifesight, Mindsight, and Master of Poisons. Hidden Talent can get you poison. Phase through the earth, see through earth, instantly identify undead and living targets, and be impossible to see. Then steal their spells and turn them into Shadow Conjurations (for example, conjurations of poison!). The concealment helps too. Use sneak attack to steal spells while using poison to get actual kills (and get yourself something specific to undead killing when taking on those).

JaronK

Can't you just take the reserve feat that let's you conjure elemntals. Steal earthy IDE from the elemental and save yourself five levels of Earthdreamer?

hex0
2011-10-22, 08:40 AM
Can't you just take the reserve feat that let's you conjure elemntals. Steal earthy IDE from the elemental and save yourself five levels of Earthdreamer?

This is golden. Great job! :smallwink: