PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Best Feats Compendium

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-20, 08:06 PM
I started a thread that was completely ignored (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219439), but I think is interesting, so I'll give it a shot again, with a slightly different premise.

I'd like to compile a list of some of the best feats from 3.5 and PF: Feats that are useful, interesting, fun, mandatory, etc.

What are some of your favorite feats?
What are a few feats you'd use if the prerequisites were changed?
What are a few feats you'd use if the wording was slightly different?

Ditto
2011-10-20, 08:15 PM
Without even thinking too hard, obviously you want the 'Extra <Level Dependent Class Goodie>' feat. (Hexes for witch, Revelation for oracle, etc.) They're kind of awesome, and don't make you wait forever to Have Nice Things (the way SWSE tends to do if you don't supermulticlass to abuse Talent trees).

herrhauptmann
2011-10-20, 09:03 PM
Feats that combine classes, like Daring Outlaw or Ascetic rogue.

Draz74
2011-10-20, 09:04 PM
I don't know Pathfinder well enough to comment, and I might not bother with discussing "what if" feats, but here are a few of the most remarkable 3.5e feats. From all sources, and for all classes.

Leadership (DMG)
Wild Cohort (Web)
Quicken Spell (PHB)
Power Attack (PHB)
Shock Trooper (CW)
Snap Kick (ToB)
Martial Study (ToB)
Able Learner (RoD)
Darkstalker (LoM)
Sculpt Spell (CA)
Martial Stance (ToB)
Shape Soulmeld (MoI)
Expanded Knowledge (XPH)
Craven (CoR)
Imperious Command (DotU)
Arcane Thesis (PHB2)
Staggering Strike (CAdv)
Natural Spell (PHB)
Draconic Wildshape (Drac)
Entangling Exhalation (RotD)
Linked Power (CPsi)
Psionic Meditation (XPH)
Boomerang Daze (RoE?)
Travel Devotion (CC)
Law Devotion (CC)
Minor Shapeshift (CM)
Summon Elemental (CM)
Craft Wondrous Item (PHB)
Hidden Talent (XPH sidebar)
Font of Inspiration (Web)
Melodic Casting (CM)
Combat Reflexes (PHB)
Improved Trip (PHB)
Overchannel (XPH)
Psicrystal Affinity (XPH)
Obtain Familiar (CA)
Fell Drain (LM)
Battle Blessing (CC)
Persist Spell (CA)
Divine Metamagic (CD)
Scorpion's Grasp (Frost)
Initiate of Mystra (FR something?)
Knowledge Devotion (CC)
Swift Hunter (CSc)
Daring Outlaw (CSc)

... There. Just scratching the surface, really, but a LOT of decent builds will have at least a couple of these.

Redshirt Army
2011-10-20, 09:17 PM
I always liked Extend Spell, and as one of the few Metamagic Feats with no prerequisite, many different spellcasting builds end up with it.

hex0
2011-10-20, 09:19 PM
Since it is Spellthief week, I'd say Master Spellthief. Fun, useful and exploitable. :smallcool:

Chained Birds
2011-10-20, 09:27 PM
Power Attack chain [3.5]
Power Attack + Furious Focus chain [PF]
Improved/Greater Steal [PF]
Whip Mastery chain [PF]
All 'Style' feats [PF]
Improved Trip [3.5/PF]
Craft Contingent Spell [3.5]

hex0
2011-10-20, 09:30 PM
I really like the Combat Focus chain, which is overlooked. They are well written and synergize with each other well by having more of each feat.

Draconic Vigor is always a overlooked gem.

As far as poorly written feats: Draconic Legacy! Needs all 9 spell levels to be worth it!

kildar
2014-08-23, 08:10 AM
Hi not sure if this would count but what about
dnd-wiki Covenant_of_the_Warp?
Its got a MAJOR flaw in it since you can't use any items but its also really powerful.

eggynack
2014-08-23, 08:20 AM
Well, for druids, out of what hasn't been listed, aberration wild shape is ridiculous, exalted wild shape is very good (and I think it's pretty well designed), both greenbound and rashemi elemental summoning are great, natural bond and companion spellbond are reasonably powerful, and just from a personal preference standpoint, I've really been warming up to gatekeeper initiate lately. Versatile spellcaster seems very powerful if you let it work as well. Also, on a not-druid note, spontaneous divination is great, and while it's not quite a feat, it's really close enough for any and all purposes.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-23, 08:38 AM
Mark of the Dauntless and Mark of Stars (Dragonmarked) for immunities that are otherwise hard to get. Shame that Mark of Stars requires levels in Heir of Syberis.
Uncanny Forethought (EoE) because having a book full of spells is only useful if you know which ones you'll need or can decide on the fly.
Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) a free debuff attempt against every enemy you fight, all day. Fear might not work on everyone but shaken is a decent debuff. Worth a feat imo.

Zaq
2014-08-23, 11:34 AM
Every party needs someone with Fell Conspiracy (Exemplars of Evil). Party-wide telepathy, plus a cumulative +2 to Spot and Listen for each party member, for the entire party. How is that not amazing? It's not even evil, despite the name.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-23, 10:07 PM
Hi not sure if this would count but what about
dnd-wiki Covenant_of_the_Warp?
Its got a MAJOR flaw in it since you can't use any items but its also really powerful.

That's a homebrew feat, and why I hate the wiki's. (People keep finding homebrew and think it's official)

Given that this thread is about 3.5/PF, we can't include Homebrew; because Homebrew is so situational.

Giddonihah
2014-08-23, 11:49 PM
For pathfinder Deific Obedience can be quite powerful depending on the god you worship, it also happens to be oozing with flavor, and its drawback requires you to actually worship your god properly for once. Best for higher levels or if you take one of the prestiges that advance it though.

herrhauptmann
2014-08-24, 12:27 AM
and its drawback requires you to actually worship your god properly for once.

What do you mean?

Giddonihah
2014-08-24, 12:59 AM
'Properly worshiping your god for once' might be pushing it a mite far I admit.

Basically when you take the feat you choose a Deity (there are 20 Deities covered), each Deity has its own Obedience, for instance Cayden the drunk god requires you to sing a song in praise of freedom, bravery and your gods good looks. While drinking, and flirting. If hostilities emerge you have to jump into the fight without hesitation.

They all basically require you to go out of your way a little bit, and some of them can have RP consequences. But in exchange you get a base bonus (Cayden gets +4 sacred bonus to poison resistance), some spell likes and a few stronger abilities in theme with your deity. And you never HAVE to fulfill an obedience, you can choose not to complete it for a day.

The Evangelist boons are my favorite, but you have to enter a prestige to get them.. A prestige that has 9/10 class advancement.