PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part II [4E]

Pages : [1] 2

Hzurr
2011-10-21, 01:57 AM
DM Post

Outside of the small inn in Sigil's market ward, the streets hummed with activity. Touts led travelers or every race imaginable up and down streets; locals traded stories with one another in the strange, jargon filled language of The Cage; and a dozen merchants hawked wares brought to the strange city from every corner of the Astral Sea.

Inside the Inn, however, six companions sat around a small table in the back room, looking at a pile of invitations, and the notes that had accompanied them. The invitations are a dark, but radiant blue; like the night sky around the edge of the moon. Tiny diamonds make up the border, and the script seems to have been written in molten gold, so bright your eyes almost ache to read the flowing elven script. Her majesty Tiandra, the Summer Queen, First of the Archfey, Guardian of Senaliesse, Blessed of the Seldarine, the Grower and Bringer of Light; does hereby formally invite you to attend the most noble of parliaments, assemblies, bacchanalia, and banquets: The Court of Stars. The Court shall convene on Midsummer's eve in the palace of Senaliesse

While the invitations all appear to be identical, each allowing the bearer and two guests to attend, the notes that accompanied the invitations are vastly different.

The first note, written on a light green parchment, is addressed to "Lord Aramil Printempest of the Spring Court"

Aramil,

Midsummer is quickly approaching, and we've received our summons to the Court of Stars. I've enclosed an invitation from you in case you're unable to meet us at the estate, and wish to rendezvous directly at Senaliesse. Your sister has returned with Toveliss to the Winter Courts, and I am uncertain if she will be joining us (we will speak more of this face-to-face). I am still not fully recovered from my illness, so you will need to speak for the family. Azula will be accompanying us, but I made need her for other matters outside the general assembly. The guests you sent from Sigil have arrived, and I've seen that they have undisturbed lodgings while they await word from you. News from the Green Court is troubling, so I encourage you to bring the Drow with you.

- Lord Ramila Printempest

The second note, made from what looks to be a sheet of impossibly thin ice, is addressed simply to "Eltain, Paladin of Corellon"

Eltain,

I heard you were in still in Sigil with your friend the bard, and given the tales I've been told of that city, I hope this note finds you well. My wife and I have finally returned to the Winter Lands, but we're preparing to set out again soon for the Court of Stars. Not everyone within the Winter Court will be able to accompany us this year, so we have a few extra seats open, and I thought why not see if you were available to join us? I'm sure Limara will be happy to see a familiar face, and my mother seemed very pleased when I brought up the idea to her (she's the one who helped me secure the invitation for you). I do hope that whatever your business in Sigil was, it will be resolved by midsummer, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers!
Toveliss Sharma

The final note, quickly written on common paper is addressed to "Pavick Roslow, Grandmaster of the Separch's Tower"

My most esteemed Grandmaster Roslow,

Although you and I have yet to experience the undoubtable pleasure of corresponding prior to this juncture, a number of my colleagues and subordinates seem to discuss your past-exploits and demeanor with a fervor that indicates no small amount of hero-worship. I have recently been requested by the signatories of the Gnomish Council to operate as their liaison and ambassador at the rapidly approaching congregation of Fey revelers and parliamentarians commonly referred to as the Court of Stars. Given your recent ascension into folklore and legend among some of the baser members of the gnome population, as well as your reported association and close friendship with a member of the Fey courts themselves, I was curious if you would be willing to accompany yours truly as a visiting delegation to the aforementioned congregation of revelry and parliament. I look forward to your reply, as well as a chance to see for myself the abilities associated with a rank of “Grandmaster” among the wizards and hedge-mages of the Material Plane.

Sincerely,

Karl Stoneshine
Head-Mage, Illusory Studies
Sreenivasa Academy of Magic

----------------------------

OOC

This is the continuation of the "Adventures in Sigil" game.

The Campaign Wiki is here (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/five-fey-and-a-rock)

The first part of the game can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141355), The second part of the game is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165206), and the third part is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176365) and the fourth part (Adventures in Sigil Part 1) can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192889)

Out-of-character thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12069601)

The Characters:

Mando Knight - Eladrin Swordmage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=177227) "Aramil Printempest"

DSCrankshaw Half-Elf Bard (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3843122/Lucan.pdf) "Lucan Thoene"

Nai_Calus -Half-Eladrin Fallen Paladin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=337991) - "Eltain Sharma"

Haberdashery - Goliath Monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=199032) - "The Shepherd"

dariathalon - Gnome Wizard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=234069) "Pavick Roslow"

Toric - Drow Rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=320429) - Zyrr'delin Morvyndis

dariathalon
2011-10-21, 09:43 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick sets the note down in front of him and leans back in his chair, a sour look on his face. "I don't know whether to be honored or insulted. He obviously has heard enough about me to want me along, and really who wouldn't? But, then he fills his request with backhanded compliments. Hedge mages. Feh!"

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-21, 10:16 PM
Lucan - Half-elf board

Lucan quickly looks away from the invitation. "What does it say?" he asks Lena. "It's too bright to read." Once she tells him, he nods sagely. "We should go," he says. Then he brightens considerably and says, "Can we take the spelljammer?"

Nai_Calus
2011-10-22, 10:19 AM
Eltain leaves the tavern with a heavy heart, his head stooped as he wanders back with the others. He's actually surprised to find Frank waiting for him outside the tavern, and he doesn't ride him, simply walking next to him, half-burying his face in Frank's mane.

"Oh Frank, what have I done? I kept waiting for something to happen, someone to come up with some way to save Shep and keep from giving them what they wanted, but... I should have been the one to do it, shouldn't I? I failed. I've helped devils, and gods know what ugliness and horror will result due to my actions. Even if it was for a good cause, that doesn't erase the sin of what I've done, does it?"

Eltain is too lost in his own misery to notice Frank's near-frantic nosing at him, snorts and angry sounds. Perhaps if he hadn't been, he would have realized that Frank was trying to beat sense into him, that Frank vehemently disagreed with Eltain's assessments of his guilt. But he doesn't notice, and by the time the group reaches the inn, Eltain has let his own inner devils rip him apart.

"Go back where you belong, Frank. I don't deserve you. Maybe Corellon will send you to help some other Paladin who actually deserves you... Thanks for being my friend. I'm glad I've had you to comfort me, but I... I'm not worthy. Not of you, not of Corellon." He smiles sadly at Frank, trying in vain to hide his tears, then shoos him off, ignoring Frank's frantic braying as he walks into the inn. He quickly dries his tears on his cloak, forcing himself to smile. He's immediately accosted by a messenger, and looks at the invitation curiously before reading the note.

His spirits rise a bit when he sees that it's from Toveliss, and that he actually wants Eltain with him. They crash again when he reads that Certhiel approves.

"What does she want with me...? It's from Toveliss, he says not all of the Winter Court can make it this year so he decided to invite me, which is odd enough, but then he says she was happy with the suggestion and was the one who helped him get me the invitation. What in Cor- What in blazes is going on here?" It seems odd that he'd stop himself from swearing by Corellon's name, and indeed, as you look at him, you notice that his clothing, formerly covered in Corellite symbols, has a disturbing utter lack of them. Even the tattoo on his face seems faded, and is half-crusted over with ice crystals.

Mando Knight
2011-10-22, 10:47 AM
"Calm, Eltain. Certhiel likely won't make a move against you at the Court of Stars. You're to be her son's guest, and have additional ties to my family. She'd be risking open war by attacking you, and probably looking like the belligerent."

After a pause, Aramil tries to turn the conversation towards something less ominous. "We get two guests each... if Zyrr, Lucan, and Shep tag along, that leaves us with three more, unless the Drow that kept showing up while we were gone were going to invite Zyrr... which I doubt. Also... how long until Midsummer? And take the Spelljammer indeed... will its repairs be done by then? I suppose we could split into smaller groups and meet up at the court, as I will need to go home to prepare if I am to represent my family."

Haberdashery
2011-10-22, 10:57 AM
The Shepherd raised a sculpted eyebrow, nursing a cup of warmed goat milk.

"You'd bring me back with you to magic-sparkle-land?" There was an edge in the Shepherd's voice--the Feywild had not agreed with him during his last visit. "Are you certain? I'm afraid I'll be as much use to you there as I was the last time." He leaned in closer, lowering his voice, "It's all the scintillation--I didn't even know that was a word before going there--it's far too bright, and it hurts my eyes. And I have yet to discover why everybody there is so very dramatic."

He leaned back, and sipped at his goat's milk with one pinky extended.

Mando Knight
2011-10-22, 11:49 AM
"As I recall, you were quite useful in helping us defeat the Beholder and his cyclopes back then. Besides, every part of the Feywild is different. Maybe when we get some time off we'll take the 'Jammer out and tour the different lands, and you might find a place you like."

Hzurr
2011-10-22, 02:11 PM
DM Post

Midsummer's eve is just under a fortnight away. The spelljammer repairs will most likely not be completely finished, but the ship will be flyable if you wish to use it.

Hzurr
2011-10-22, 10:18 PM
DM Post

As you look over the letters, Lena sits perched on Lucan's shoulder, looking around the room as she usually does in her slightly spastic way. Suddenly she pauses, tilts her head, and leans down to whisper something in Lucan's ear.

OOC: DSCrankshaw, See forthcoming PM. Also, give me an insight check.

Nai_Calus
2011-10-22, 11:21 PM
"I suppose you're right... I doubt she'd make a move against me either during. Or before, I suppose..." He sighs. "I'm still a little wary. I am a wanted criminal, after all, in her lands. Attempted theft from a temple isn't exactly a well-regarded crime, even if you didn't succeed. Maybe I should have Zyrr teach me, might as well, maybe I can start a career doing that." He frowns, distressed by how suddenly and how fully he's fallen from his own ideals.

"Anyway. I'd prefer to stay together, but I'm guessing with you needing to prepare to represent your family, you probably want me to go to Certhiel's lands and check on your sister?"

He chuckles at Shep.

"Magic sparkle land indeed. It's a beautiful place, Shep, truly. Honestly, when I first came to your world I thought it was frightfully dull and uninteresting. I suppose what you aren't used to always seems strange and wrong. But I got used to the mortal world, and I'm sure you can get used to the Feywild. There's beau-" He breaks off, looking away. "Well, anyway, you can probably find something you like there if you look long enough."

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-23, 01:02 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan nods in response to Lena's words.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-10-23, 08:26 AM
DM Post

@Lucan
That sudden piece if advice seemed a bit uncharacteristic of Lena. She was almost acting if she had been listening to someone; and this was the first instance of her ever showing an interest or concern for one if your allies.

Toric
2011-10-23, 09:17 AM
"Certainly, Eltain. I'd be happy to teach you a thing or two about the alchemical art of changing somebody else's things into your things." Zyrr chuckles.

"And temple theft? We've met people who had probably impersonated Iounian clergy long before we killed them, I've personally killed Lolth priestesses before meeting you with little consequence and you're in trouble for taking a few holy trinkets? ....The gods certainly have a sense of humor about justice. But it looks like your training will have to wait since I've been summoned along with Aramil. I must have made an impression on Lord Printempest; I do hope he's let everyone know I'm coming and who I am, or it will be a very brief visit for me."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-23, 09:40 AM
"Well, I doubt Sehanine actually cares herself. The priests sure as hell did, though. And I didn't actually take anything, I just tried. That actually makes it worse. Also that I was from a rival, but aligned faith. But I doubt Certhiel is going to go to the trouble of getting me invited to the Court of Stars just to lock me up when she could have done that earlier. Maybe I should go, just to see if I can figure out what the hells is going on and what they want me for. Check on Limara, see Toveliss, maybe get some information back to Aramil's family." He sighs. "I should go see Eilistraee before we leave. Maybe she'll understand and know what to do... I assume you're coming?"

Toric
2011-10-23, 09:51 AM
"But of course." Zyrr replies. "I need to see whether my dear brother is still there and how he's enjoyed a week's worth of Eilistraee's sermons."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-23, 01:36 PM
Eltain snorts. Typical Zyrr.

"...And of course you need me to come along in case things get... Messy. Like they usually do when you're involved. Fair enough. Let me know when you're ready."

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-23, 01:50 PM
Lucan frowns. "Lena thinks I should go with you, Eltain," he says. "I'm not sure why."

dariathalon
2011-10-23, 02:49 PM
Pavick grabs Lucan's wrist. "Sometime soon, I'll need you to tell me how to get a hold of a ... halibut?" He hazards as a guess. "Or whatever the heck they call messengers around here. If guides are trout, I figured messengers are probably some other sort of fish. Am I right? Once we decide how we're going about getting there, I really should contact this person and let him know we're accepting the invitations."

His eyes twinkle for a moment. "Or maybe if we're all splitting up for a time, I suppose I could just research the transportation codes to Sreenivasa and go tell him myself. I've just designed a spell and I really should experiment with it a little more."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-23, 03:51 PM
Eltain arches an eyebrow. Odd.

"I'd actually hoped to talk to Zyrr alone on the way, Lucan," he shrugs, trying to look non-commital. "But I suppose you can come along. Your healing might come in use if Zyrr's usual assortment of friends decides to show up, I guess." He frowns and looks at Lena oddly.

Eltain sighs at Pavick. "Tout, Pavick, not trout. And no, I haven't heard what they call a messenger around here either. Might just be a messenger."

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-23, 07:25 PM
Lucan goes to see if he can scrounge up a messenger.

Hzurr
2011-10-23, 07:51 PM
DM Post

Lucan scrounges successfully.

Sigil is actually famous for it's messengers (called Couriers). Depending on how much you're willing to pay, you can have a normal courier deliver a message, or you can pay for a courier who is magically bonded to the message, so that the Courier dies upon failure to deliver. (Naturally, these couriers take every precaution possible to deliver the message successfully.)

Toric
2011-10-24, 08:34 AM
"I'd say hire a salmon. They're reputedly very determined about reaching their destination." The drow steps toward the door and gestures toward it with a bow. "Ready when you are."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-24, 10:05 AM
Eltain chuckles at Zyrr's joke.

"Let's go then. Were you coming, Lucan?" He looks at Aramil.

"Let me know what you think about me going to the Winter lands to check on your sister when we get back."

Hzurr
2011-10-24, 12:06 PM
DM Post

Zyrr and Eltain (and anyone who feels like coming with them),

Again make their journey through the winding streets of Sigil to the temple of Corellon. The normal smoke and fog is slightly clearer tonight, and looking up you can see the distant streets on the far side of the ring. Again, this path is almost identical to the one Zyrr took to the Temple of Lolth a month prior, but one street over (and with a giant wall between the two), is the star-shaped white marble temple of Corellon.

The musical steps sound out the familiar hymn as you ascend the temple, and upon reaching the top you see a similar assembly as before. You still draw a number of strange looks, but apparently word of your previous visit has reached the ears of the temple caretakers, and they make no move to intercept you. The temple is open enough that it isn't difficult to find Eilistraee. She's currently speaking to a pair of humans, but spying you across the courtyard she excuses herself, and walks over.

"It is good to see you again. Last I'd heard, you'd left the city with some Githyanki Pirate. I trust all is well?"

Nai_Calus
2011-10-24, 01:21 PM
Eltain is unnaturally quiet and withdrawn on the way to the temple, and seems to wince with each step up the stairway. Even more unnaturally, his response to Eilistraee's question is to quietly break into tears, snow swirling about him miserably.

"...No. It's not alright. Can we talk in private?"

Hzurr
2011-10-24, 01:33 PM
DM Post

The drow looks down at the Half-eladrin, a bit taken aback by his response. "Oh. Well...yes, I suppose. She motions you to follow her, and heads to one of the points of the star, a ways away from any of the other worshipers at the temple. "What seems to be troubling you?"

Nai_Calus
2011-10-24, 03:31 PM
Eltain bites his lip, takes a deep breath and begins to speak, staring at his boots the entire time.

"I know you have your own troubles and duties you need to attend to, but you're the only one I know here in Sigil and none of the others would understand." He sighs.

"My friends, one of them in particular, he got a lead on where he could find the father he never met. Thing is, his soul had become forfeit to a succubus after he'd failed in bringing something back that had been lost in a shipwreck on the astral sea. She was of course all too willing to make a deal with my friend, offering his father's soul in exchange for the retrieval of the item. I tried to talk them out of it, I tried to suggest other ways of doing things but they wouldn't listen. They went ahead with it, another one of them signed the contract, and... I went with them, to try to protect them. We succeeded, and at least on the way back we were attacked by another group of devils and were able to destroy an entire spelljammer crew of them, but... I guess it was my fault. I guess it was me. I kept waiting for something to happen, for us to go on the offensive. But we never did. We finished the deal and left. I helped devils, knowingly and willingly. How can I be a proper servant to Corellon when I've done such ugly things? How can I call myself a Paladin when I've let myself associate with such evil? I can't. And I can feel it. I've...I've lost my powers. I've tried, But I can't summon up even a twinge. I tried to call Frank back on the way here, but he didn't come. I've failed Corellon. And I don't know how to atone for it. What do I do?!" His face is agonized and tears flow freely.

Hzurr
2011-10-24, 05:14 PM
DM Post

The Drow priestess looks at him for a long moment. "The first thing you should do, is take care of those tears. Given your nature, they'll freeze on the floor and I'll slip and break my neck." She gives a slight smile to show she is joking, and hands Eltain a kerchief.

"However, to answer your question more directly, let me see if I understand things correctly. Your friend went to deal with a Succubus to secure his father's soul; and another one of your friends put his soul up as collateral as you set about the first task. They made their decision, and you went with them to protect them and prevent two souls from being lost." She arches an eye-brow. "While The Protector certainly dislikes fiends and asks his followers to thwart them when possible, there's nothing specifically in the tenets of the faith that forbids dealing with them.

"As for why you've lost your powers... Eilistraee pauses, and pulls out a holy symbol, chanting as she looks Eltain up and down. "I don't see any indication that the god of beauty has left you."

She stops, and thinks for a moment before speaking again. "For a servant of Corellon to use the powers given; that servant must have faith. You've lost yours." She places a hand on Eltain's shoulder "Corellon hasn't abandoned you, you've abandoned him. You can't use the divine powers because you don't believe you still have those powers."

The drow peers back into the main room, where Zyrr is now gathering more than his fair share of attention. "I should get back there, before some of the zealots of the faith try and do something with our friend." She looks back at the half-eladrin. "You serve The Protector, and from what I can hear, that's what you were trying to do. What you have to ask yourself is, do you still cling to the beliefs of our god? Beauty, magic, music, the arts...do you still revere these things? Do you still feel the need to bring that light and beauty to the dark places of the world? There's no question that Corellon is willing to use you, you must determine if you're willing to serve as his tool."

She squeezes his shoulder, before moving back in the room to shoo away some of the more...eager devotees away from Zyrr.

-----------------------------

Lucan and the others actually manage to find a messenger named Salmon.

Toric
2011-10-24, 06:38 PM
Zyrr wears his grin openly as he strides next to Eltain, though he makes no attempts to open conversation. He hesitates at the stairway as well, but for a completely different reason; he simply listens to the sounds of people ascending and descending the stairs at the same time, and imagines the sound of twenty people traversing them at once. Cacophonic to be sure, but it could have some music to it.

While he lets the half-eladrin have his alone time with the priestess, Zyrr does his best to keep his hands where people can see him and look friendly. Judging from the looks, his bare teeth are seen as a sign of aggression so the drow has his lips firmly pursed when Eilistraee returns.

"I had a couple questions for you." the thief ventures, waving a flat-palmed hand to conduct his speaking. "First, just to sate my curiosity, did your meeting net any new followers since I left? Second, has Kosalram escaped yet? And could I speak with him if I hasn't? ...Sorry, that's three."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-24, 07:06 PM
Eltain sighs after she's gone.

"Of course I still believe in those things. If I didn't I wouldn't care, I would have followed another path long ago..." He sighs and snows sadly as he looks up from the floor towards the ceiling, rubbing away his tears. "And of course I'm still willing to serve you, father. But I don't know how anymore. I'm not worthy, and it's not as simple as just saying 'I believe', is it? I have to feel it. I have to feel it in my heart that I'm worthy of you, and she's right. I have lost my faith in that. I still believe in you, I still love you, with all my heart and every inch of my soul. But I don't know how to serve you when I can't even believe in myself enough to do anything for you." He lowers his gaze, sinking to the floor and burying his face in his knees.

"You give me so many chances, you do so much for me and all I can do is complain that others don't follow the same codes as me and cry that I'm not worthy when I can't make them do what I want. But I want to be worthy. I want to do more than that. And I will. I will make myself worthy. I will find my way back to you, father. If I can't fight with your power, then I'll use my own. Maybe in a way it's even your own. I can use arcane magic. I know how. I'll use that, then, to prove myself to you. I just ask you to guide me, and help me find my way. Help me be strong until I can be strong for you on my own again. Watch over and protect me, father, as you have always done, and I swear by all the stars in all the skies that I will prove myself worthy of your love." He's stood up again during the speech, and while his eyes shine with tears, they don't fall; and his face is set with a determined joy. Even the snow has, for the moment, stopped, and he goes to rejoin Zyrr with a heart that, if still heavy, is at least rather lighter than it was.

Hzurr
2011-10-24, 08:04 PM
DM Post

Eilistraee shakes her head. "Sorry, three is too many, I'm afraid we'll have to kill you now." The priestess chuckles, before continuing.

"We've had a few who are still...interested, but I'm afraid that they still fear the power of Lolth more than they're willing to admit." She pauses, tapping a thoughtful finger on her chin. "At some point, I really should arrange to have a few of those temples overthrown, just to show that Lolth's grip isn't as strong as they believe." She eyes Zyrr thoughtfully as she says this, and you can see the wheels turning in her head.

"As for Kosalram, he's still...my guest, in spite of a number of attempts to escape. I think those attempts are more an effort to escape from my proselytizing rather than a strong desire to report back to his mistresses." She chuckles. "You're more than welcome to visit. After I finish serving here tonight, I'll be returning to my home, so if you'd like to accompany me, you can speak with him then. I'm sure he'll be eager to speak to someone other than me."

She nods back towards Eltain, "Your friend there is going through a bit of a crisis of faith. I'd avoid dealing with any more devils for a bit, if I were you." The drow shares a wry grin with you.

------------------------------

@Lucan, Pavick, Aramil, & Shep

Anything you guys want to do in the meanwhile?

dariathalon
2011-10-24, 11:12 PM
Pavick Roslow – Gnome Wizard
Pavick sits down at the desk in his room with a piece of parchment and a vial of ink. He begins to hastily write a response in an elaborate script full of large looping letters.

My highest regards Head-Mage Stoneshine,
I find it most remarkable that we have not had the honor of discourse before now. I am overjoyed that this occasion has given us proper reason to remedy this. I have to admit that you have me at a disadvantage; you know much more about me than I am able to reciprocate. However, it does speak mightily of your character that the Gnomish Council has requested you act as their ambassador at the Court of Stars. I delightedly accept your invitation to sit at your side throughout this grand event. As you are aware, I do have acquaintances that will be accompanying both the Spring and Winter Courts, but my priority will of course be the advancement of the Gnomish peoples. Would you like to meet in the days prior to the Court of Stars to speak about how we can go about best serving out people, or shall we simply meet as the event begins?

Sincerely,
Pavick Roslow
Grandmaster of the Septarch’s Tower

Pavick carefully seals the message and takes it downstairs to where Lucan has found "the" Salmon to carry his message. "Please see that this is delivered to Karl Stoneshine, Head-Mage of Illusory Studies at the Sreenivasa Academy of Magic."

Hzurr
2011-10-24, 11:29 PM
DM Post

Salmon takes your letter, and sets off. It will most likely be a few days until he can return with a response.

Toric
2011-10-24, 11:59 PM
Zyrr grins at the priestess's suggestion. "I'm not sure how Lolth would appreciate somebody sacking one of her temples, but I'm sure she'd be entertained. It's an appealing thought."

He then gives Eilistraee an elaborate bow. "And I'd love to accompany you, as I'm sure Eltan will. He actually might appreciate what I have to say to your guest."

Hzurr
2011-10-25, 02:35 AM
DM Post

Once Eilistraee finishes with her duties at the temple, she leads you back through the city streets, doubling back several times in the process to try and shake anyone who might be following, but eventually she leads you back to the small house you visited before.

Upon arriving, rather than leading you straight in, she pauses to examine the door for a long moment. "Hmm...I think he's trapped it again. He does this every so often. A most unpleasant house-guest." She *tsks* slightly, before turning to Zyrr. "Would you like to do the honors? He's very good at this, and my skills are only mediocre."

Stepping back to let Zyrr take a look at the lock, she sighs and looks at Eltain. "I've placed enchantments on him so that he can't leave. Unfortunately, those enchantments will break if something happens to me, so the last few weeks have been very...entertaining, to say the least."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-25, 06:59 AM
Eltain shakes his head and sighs.

"It takes them so long sometimes. So many years of indoctrination..." He frowns, watching Zyrr closely as he works to see if he can pick up on some of the drow's technique.

Toric
2011-10-25, 04:46 PM
"It's to be expected, really. If he can kill you, he can claim this was his plan all along - trade your life for the lives of his allies that night - and thus be welcomed back into drow society as a still-useful tool." Zyrr explains as he steps forward to examine the door, lockpicking tools in hand.

"It's probably what I would have done myself. You don't look to be very smooth-talkable." he comments as he plies his less lethal trade.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-10-25, 04:57 PM
DM Post

Toric moves down to pick the lock, but after examining it for a few minutes, the Drow stands, makes a fist, and simply hits the door with a moderate amount of force. The door creaks open with a slow "Eeehhhhhh."

Standing in the hallway, slightly frustrated that his trap was so easily disabled, is Kosalram. Seeing Zyrr in the doorway, he rolls his eyes. "Oh. It's you. He gives a dejected sigh. "Next time, please just kill me. I'm not sure I can survive another month of lectures about deities that I really don't care about.

Nai_Calus
2011-10-25, 06:27 PM
"You should care about them," Eltain says, hands on his hips. "Well, Corellon, anyway. No offense dear lady, but Sehanine has never drawn me that strongly. Corellon created the fey. We're his children, and he loves us all still, even those who have gone astray." He marvels at how easily the words come to his lips. Old habits are hard to break, he supposes, and it doesn't take divine power to care about reuniting the drow with their surface cousins.

Hzurr
2011-10-25, 07:02 PM
DM Post

Kosalram looks up at Eltain. "Oh trust me, I've heard it all before. She won't shut up about it." He jerks his head towards Eilistraee, and crosses his arms. "I've no interest in your god. He's got nothing to offer me that I need. Now," he looks back at the other two. "is there anything else, or can I return to my sulking captivity?"

-----------------------
@Lucan, Aramil, Pavick, Shep

Could I get a streetwise check?

dariathalon
2011-10-25, 07:31 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Requested streetwise check: [roll0]

Edit: And the mean streets of Sigil still manage to confound the poor gnome.

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-25, 10:40 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Streetwise is one of Lucan's favorite things.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-10-26, 12:41 AM
DM Post

While wandering the streets, looking for a Courier, Lucan overhears a pair of shifters talking to each other, complaining in their odd Sigil cant about some forge-work being done in the lower wards.

"- the cutters up and leave, no warning, no notice."
"Pike that, I heard something similar happened to Chakota. The dark of it is that he's hitting the blinds 'cause hundreds of fiends in the city just up and scratched out of the Cage today.

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-26, 07:49 AM
"That's odd," Lucan says to his companions. "It seems that the fiends are leaving Sigil. I wonder why."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-26, 04:34 PM
Eltain, surprisingly, chuckles, and nods in sympathy.

"I understand, actually. I was raised in a Corellite temple and trained almost from birth to be a Paladin. But the lectures and sermons and dogmatic sessions going on and on about the evils of the drow and orcs and whatever else was out of fashion with the faith were always so boring, and I never felt farther away from Corellon than when I was getting him drilled into my head. It was when I was away from that, when they sent us to a magic academy to learn about Arcane magic and its fundamentals; or the times I played in the temple's gardens, that was when I found him, and where I always felt closest to him. No amount of lecturing you or preaching his teachings is going to actually make you feel him. Perhaps you think you don't need him, and maybe you're right. But if you do someday need him, you'll find him on your own." He smiles.

"In the meantime, if you need something to distract yourself from the sermons, do what I always used to do and meditate on something you find beautiful. You'll feel better."

Toric
2011-10-26, 05:33 PM
"And if you're truly so tired of hearing diatribes and lectures, you could just leave." Zyrr says as he enters. "One of the reasons I'm here is to give you your freedom."

Hzurr
2011-10-26, 05:56 PM
DM Post

Kosalram opens his mouth to make a sarcastic comment at Eltain's words, but the assassin pauses mid sentence, thoughtfully. Whatever was on his mind doesn't prepare him for Zyrr's next words, and the Assassin does a double take.

"My freedom?" He looks at Zyrr suspiciously. "Nice try, but there's no use in trying to follow me. You and I both know that I can't go back to the temple now, so whatever thoughts you had to use me to get to them won't work." He gives a half-grin at what he sees as a pathetic attempt on your part, and turns back to re-enter the house.

Mando Knight
2011-10-26, 06:03 PM
"Apparently, our prior task has set something into motion. Whether they are fleeing from Sigil or responding to their dark masters' call is yet to be determined. However, I doubt we can handle two major events simultaneously, so I suggest that we refrain from directly intervening until after the Court of Stars."

Toric
2011-10-26, 06:19 PM
Zyrr's response is a smug grin. "Exactly. You now have the very same freedom I have. You have several options available to you, many of them fatal. You can walk back Lolth's temple and throw yourself on her priestess's mercy. I'm sure they'll trust you, welcome you back. ...Just as they did me after I first left for a long time." He finishes this last sentence with a bitter chuckle. "I'm sure you've heard the same stories I have about drow who have walked that path. Their stories are invariably brief.

You could strike out on your own, work as a mercenery, find a place dark enough for you to be comfortable but not dark enough for you to be followed by our cousins. I've heard stories of drow doing that, some to great success, others.... not so much."

He pauses before continuing, more for dramatic effect than anything else. "Or you can leap off the web of drow society altogether. Find true allies. Work for something bigger than yourself, for more than just business. I could probably arrange an employer for you, if you don't mind the proselytizing." He nods his head toward Eilistraee.

Hzurr
2011-10-26, 06:54 PM
DM Post

Kosalram stares at Zyrr for a long time. He tentatively steps forward, and looks at Eilistraee, who chants quietly, and you see a thin magical veil disappear from the doorway.

Kosalram takes a breath, and steps over the threshold, as if waiting for something to happen. When nothing does, he looks at the three of you, before breaking into a sprint down the streets of Sigil. A few blocks down, he turns back and looks at you, and even from this distance you can see the look of puzzlement on his face, before he turns back and ducks down an alley.

Eilistraee chuckles "Well, that will give him something to think about. I'm sure the next few days will be rather difficult for him, deciding where to go. We'll see if he makes his way back here." She turns to look at Eltain. "And for someone who doesn't think he's a Paladin, you certainly still have a love for your god. Don't forget that." She smiles, and steps inside "You are both free to join me for dinner, if you'd like. Or is there any other business you need to attend to?"

Toric
2011-10-26, 07:36 PM
Zyrr silently watches Kosalram as he runs off, a melancholy look on his face.

Once the wayward drow is out of sight, he sigh and turns back to Eilistraee with a friendly smile. "...Well that was easier than I thought. Maybe he's more similar to me than I thought. And of course we'll join you for dinner. Assuming the menagerie's in good hands, I think we've got things wrapped up for the day. By the way, if you know anyone who wants a spotted miniature unicorn and promises to take good care of it, we can offer a great price." He hazards a sideward glance at Eltain. Somehow, he doesn't think the man will object to being spoken for.

dariathalon
2011-10-26, 08:23 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"No doubt something has been set into motion. I didn't think Zorella would sit on that box for long. I hope she's using it to cause all sorts of trouble in the fiendish hierarchy."

He snorts, "Though with our luck, someone is calling them all back for a big attack on the Court of Stars or something. Things always just seem to fall into place exactly the way we wish they wouldn't."

"We've got a bit of time between now and the big event. Perhaps it would be a good idea to see if we can dig up whatever other information is out there on the devils' activities. Seems like they're all too busy to notice us nosing about and it'll help to have a leg up in case we do get drug into their mechanations again."

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-26, 08:29 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan nods. "I guess it won't hurt to take a look at the chubby imp, and see what's happened there," he says.

Nai_Calus
2011-10-26, 09:54 PM
"Just because I'm unworthy to serve him doesn't mean I don't love him," Eltain says, looking away. "I have already sworn to redeem myself. Whether I can or not remains to be seen, but I have to at least try." He offers his assent to dinner.

Hzurr
2011-10-27, 02:07 PM
DM Post

The dinner with Eilistraee goes well, and before long Zyrr and Eltain find themselves back at the Inn with the rest of the party. The Shepherd responds to their return with some odd quote about Rams chasing after the same Ewe, but refuses give any explanation as to the meaning behind his words.

OOC: Did everyone want to go back to the Chubby Imp? It's a bit late in the evening now, did you want to go tonight or wait until morning?

Nai_Calus
2011-10-27, 04:20 PM
Eltain takes the meaning and chuckles.

"So, did anything interesting happen while we were gone?"

Toric
2011-10-27, 06:38 PM
(Time warp again, because this is an excellent time to explore this part of Zyrr)

As Zyrr joins the other two for dinner, his smile gradually evens out, becoming a strictly neutral expression, a jarring contrast to his usual self. With or without prompting, he blurts out "So I had a brother named Vendis. Not that Vendis, the one that just left, there was a Vendis before. That's where I got the pseudonym for him."

He pauses for a moment, looking awkwardly between the ex-paladin and the priestess, tapping his spoon nervously. "...Not just a sibling in the way you and I understand." The spoon points to Eilistraee, then shifts to Eltain. "Lolth knows, I have too many of those. He was a brother, as you surface-kin understand. He liked to study, learn, he could have been a model Iounite priest where he born literally anywhere else. I think he's the reason Kosalram's alive."

Hzurr
2011-10-27, 07:20 PM
DM Post

<<time-warp time>>

The Priestess arches an eyebrow at Zyrr. "Those types of brothers are rare, especially in the Underdark. You were very blessed to have found one. May I ask what happened to him?" She doesn't seem to be pressing, just making casual conversation.

Toric
2011-10-27, 08:57 PM
"He and I both had a knack for making things. Alchemy for me, jewelry for him." He pulls out a spider amulet, the very same he showed and kissed at the Printempest estate. The drow thief stares hard at the memories behind the bauble. "He saw a design like this in a book, and made it. Not a great piece of work, but enough to draw the interest of a young male of another house. He of course demanded that Vendis give it to him, and left in a huff when he refused."

"I found my brother in the library two days later, his head buried in a book, a dagger buried in his back. Nobody cared; if he died so easily it meant he was weak. I was better off without him, my elders said. It was Lolth's will, they said. So I did what any reasonable drow would do."

The grip on the amulet tightens, and the dark face contorts with emotion. "I killed the fool who dared to take something of mine. That was my first kill, a little baneroot to the wine he and his friends had stolen to celebrate his new trinket. His older brother caught me taking the amulet from the corpse." His face relaxes and the smirk resurfaces as he finishes. "It turns out I wasn't the only one who wanted that rivvil dead. There are rules against adults killing children without strong cause, and I'd just done this man a favor. He pointed out my skills to the undercity assassins, and the rest is history."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-27, 10:24 PM
(Let's do the time warp agaaaain)

Eltain's face tightens in anger, before creasing with sadness.

"And that's why the work my order does, and the work Eilistraee does, is so important. The drow need to be guided away from that madness. From the horrors you've experienced. No more dead brothers or redundant 'useless' males or casual murders for senseless reasons. No one should have to live in that kind of environment. No one should have to experience that. It has to be stopped." He places his hand over Zyrr's reassuringly.

"I'm so sorry, Zyrr. If you ever need to talk about it, or any kind of comfort, or if there's anything I can do to help, let me know."

Toric
2011-10-27, 10:53 PM
((Still meanwhile back in the past))

Zyrr places his free hand over Eltain's, and gives him a nod of appreciation. "I might take you up on that later. "I might take you up on that."

He pulls the spider amulet back and puts it away. "Nobody hates that society more than I do. I've been hired to kill many people for many reasons, and through that I've learned that weakness is subjective, that you can find a fault in literally anybody from the most generous angel to the most powerful devil. So the entirety of drow 'justice' is based purely on whether or not somebody likes you at a given moment."

"Kosalram reminds me very much of a younger me. Too clever not to see the utter insanity he worked under, but too professional to question it. I had to be completely incapable of climbing back into the drow web before I stopped trying, but it was worth letting go. I've found the kind of friendship I wouldn't have known existed without Vendis. And so I'm throwing 'Vendis' off the web in return. He'll thank me, I'm sure. One way or another."

Hzurr
2011-10-28, 12:58 AM
DM Post

Eilistraee looks at the two of them, half-amused. "I'm not sure if I should congratulate you on your rejection of that society, or if I should give you two some privacy." She arches an eye-brow again, but then raises a glass. "At any rate, a toast to more like you and hopefully Kosalram. May they all see the destructive path their goddess has placed them on, and seek refuge elsewhere.

<<current time>>

OOC: So was that a "Yes we want to go to the Inn, or no we don't?

Nai_Calus
2011-10-29, 01:03 AM
Eltain raises a glass in toast as well.

"Es'caerta."

As the dinner winds down, he takes his leave of Eilistraee.

"Thank you for having us tonight, and for the advice. Life calls us away, I'm afraid; half of our little group has been invited to the Court of Stars and are taking along the other half, but I'm sure we'll be back sooner or later. I hope I'll have good news by then."

-----

(Back in the present)

Eltain continues to await a response to his question.

"Guys? Is something wrong?"

(OOC: 'Es'caerta' is given in older D&D sources as being an 'emotional ending to a prayer', being basically an elven/Corellite version of 'amen'. Also, you have no idea how much I wanted to troll Hzurr by writing about Eltain having difficulty breaking from staring deep into Zyrr's eyes... :smalltongue: )

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-29, 01:59 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I think we should head to the Chubby Imp and see what's happening there," Lucan says.

dariathalon
2011-10-29, 07:21 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

"We can try that, but we'll have to have a good story. Remember that bouncer was not too friendly with us last time, and we'll probably need to give him a name. Somehow I doubt Zorella will be taking our requests for audience anytime soon, and even if she would, I'd bet gold that she was among the first out of town. Probably even partly responsible for many of the others taking off." Pavick says, stroking his chin.

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-29, 10:01 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I'm not sure we want to go inside, " Lucan says. "I just want to know if the place is abandoned."

dariathalon
2011-10-29, 10:23 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick pulls his flute from one of his large pockets and begins absent-mindedly fingering his way through the scales as he considers what Lucan said and responds.

"Well, I really doubt that they've left it completely abandoned. Though, I suppose if it is, it might be interesting to try to take a peak inside. Who knows what secrets they might have tucked away in there."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-29, 11:06 AM
"Wait, what? What are you guys talking about? Why would we want to go back to that awful place so soon? And what's this about it being abandoned? What's going on?" Eltain sputters, confused and annoyed at being ignored.

DSCrankshaw
2011-10-29, 01:15 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Didn't you hear?" Lucan asks Eltain. "the fiends are leaving Sigil. I thought we should check whether they're leaving the Chubby Imp too."

Nai_Calus
2011-10-29, 01:30 PM
"What? No, I hadn't heard, I was out dealing with other things." His face contorts in worry. "If they're leaving the city that can only mean they're going to do other things..." He looks anguished. "Yes, let's go see if we can find more information from someone."

Hzurr
2011-10-30, 12:50 AM
DM Post

You make the journey back across town to the Lower Ward. It's rather late in the evening at this point, and more than once you see small groups of rather unsavory looking characters eyeing you from various alleyways, debating about whether or not the effort to rob such a well-armed group would be worth the effort.

As you move through the Ward, the sound of forges and hammer on anvil is still ever present, but there seems to be an uneasiness in the air, and many of the citizens of the area seem to be looking over their shoulders nervously.

Eventually, you arrive back at Firepit Square, and just off to the side is The Chubby Imp. This time, however, there appears to be no bouncer at the door. The door itself isn't even completely closed, but instead is hanging slightly ajar.

Nai_Calus
2011-10-30, 06:20 PM
"That isn't exactly reassuring," Eltain notes, looking at the door. "Do you think we should go in?"

dariathalon
2011-10-30, 10:18 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick stares at the empty building gravely. "I think that would be an extraordinarily bad idea... Let's do it! Just give me a second, I'll have Slick look around a little for us first."

He approaches the open door and casually leans up against the side of the building, trying to appear that he is waiting for someone. He pulls a gold coin out of his pocket and begins flipping it into the air and catching it in one hand. The other hand rests behind his back. He gives the hand a gentle shake and a tiny serpent falls out of the oversized sleeve. "Go check it out," he whispers as the tiny snake disappears around the corner into the open building.

Bluff seems like it might be appropriate here, in case he's being watched.

[roll0]

Toric
2011-10-31, 01:28 PM
"I'll see what I can find too."

Zyrr slinks against the side of the building and melts into the shadows. "Don't worry, I won't start stabbing things without the rest of you." Once he finishes his sentence, no movement can be seen, no footsteps can be heard, the drow is simply gone.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-10-31, 02:46 PM
DM Post

As slick slithers in (followed by anything *but* a drow. There is definitely no drow to be found here), the Chubby Imp appears abandoned at first glance. The curtains that lined the hallways are halfway open (some appear to be torn down), and the chambers all look like they were quickly abandoned. It doesn't look as if there were people fleeing, it simply looks like whatever was in each of these chambers decided to very quickly pack and leave.

Now able to peer into the chambers, you see signs of all sorts of previous fiendish activity in most of them. Several still have smouldering coals for floors, and you imagine that only a few hours earlier the entire chamber must have been an oven. Several contain empty (or partially empty) flasks of wine, and other signs of debauched behavior; while others contain tables and quill and parchment. A few, like Zorella's, are filled with overstuffed cushions and thick padded carpets.

In the fifth chamber down, you can hear faint noises, but whatever enchantment is on the curtains prevents you from hearing any details. Slick has little trouble slipping underneath the curtain, and Zyrr's passing is less notable than a gust of wind. Inside you see a trio of horned devils, gathering their things, cursing and frustrated. They keep on accusing each another of withholding knowledge, and seem a bit panicked. Every little while, one of the group will quickly go out into the hall and check the other partitions, as if he's looking for someone, but each time he returns even angrier than he was before.

Toric
2011-10-31, 08:19 PM
Zyrr carefully picks up Slick - who may be surprised to find he's been followed - and quietly whispers to the serpentine familiar.

"Okay. I've only seen Pavick talk to you but I'm assuming you understand me. You go back and report what happened, I'm staying here to listen for something more important like a name or location. I can probably isolate the scout, he's definitely off his guard, so if Pavick wants me to take him out you just come back and flick your tongue twice at me. Or just one flick and I'll make my way back to the others."

Hzurr
2011-10-31, 08:25 PM
DM Post

Slick gives a snaky nod, and slithers back to tell Pavick of what he saw, while Zyrr remains and listens.

OOC: Toric, PM incoming

Mando Knight
2011-11-01, 01:18 PM
Aramil stands silently, waiting for Zyrr to return.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-02, 01:39 PM
Eltain shifts nervously, worried about Zyrr.

"What's taking so long?" He whispers, looking around warily, fighting down the urge to go look inside himself.

Hzurr
2011-11-02, 01:43 PM
DM Post

OOC: At this point, slick has given Pavick the D.L. on what's going on inside.

Toric
2011-11-02, 06:08 PM
Zyrr returns shortly after Slick, to give a report himself, true to his word, free of fiendish blood.

"I hate to say this, but I don't think we'll gain much from confronting those inside. There's three of them, and they're obviously as lost as we are, if not moreso.

A list has been released of several devils' names, calling them back to the Nine Hells immediately, and these three weren't on that list. So they're standing around waiting for somebody to tell them what's going on and coming up with their own theories in the meantime. That the Lady of Pain has issued a Sigil-wide banishment of Devils they weren't told about, that Asmodeus has been slain, that he's putting some plan into action, or that the nine hells are being invaded."

The drow scratches his now-visible chin. "I think it's one of the last two."

Mando Knight
2011-11-02, 06:29 PM
"You're right, the last two are more likely. Though devils are a nasty sort, the Lady hasn't seen fit to banish them for who knows how long, and a god doesn't just die without everyone finding out about it. On the other hand, fiends are always plotting something and there's probably an incursion into the Nine every few months, so this would almost have to be on an unprecedented scale for those theories as well."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-02, 06:55 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Well, unless we want to search the place and hope we find more than they have, I guess we should go," Lucan says.

dariathalon
2011-11-02, 06:57 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick listens to Slick's message carefully and is about to relay it to the group, when the drow returns himself. Pavick lets Slick slither his way back up his sleeve.

"Well, any of the above seem possible. My best guess would be that this has something to do with whatever Zorella did with that box... It can't be a coincidence that only a short time after she got her hands on it, all the devils leave Sigil. It seems like there should be a way to use the three stooges in there to get the information, but I'm not sure what it is. Even if they don't know now, it would probably be a lot easier for them to get the information out of someone than it would be for us."

Sorry, I've had a killer couple of days with work lately. This feels like it should be Friday instead of Wednesday.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-02, 07:47 PM
Eltain looks sick.

"Whatever it is, it can't be anything good. Nothing involving that lot ever is." He sighs. "We can't do anything about it lurking around an abandoned tavern. Even if we can get more information out of that lot, what good will it do us? It's too late to stop whatever's going on from starting. Hells, we probably started it bringing that box here. Gods have mercy on us." He straightens his shoulders.

"Well, we can't do anything about it now, if we aren't willing or capable of taking on a tavern full of fiends we certainly can't tackle all the fiends that were in Sigil, although I'd certainly be game for it anyway, far worse ways to die, but maybe we can later. We'll just have to train more and get stronger, and go ahead with our plans and try to get allies for when something invariably goes down. And then hopefully Zorella can get some personal payback from me." It's clear from his tone and the ugly look on his face just exactly what and how bloody 'payback' will be.

"Let's go back to the inn, I need to prepare and find a guide. If I'm going to the Winter lands, I'm going to want to try to get a portal leading as close to Certhiel's domain as possible; travel there is horrid no matter how you go and it's worse on foot." He pauses.

"Unless you really want to try to... Extract... something from those three. I wouldn't mind that at all."

Toric
2011-11-03, 06:41 PM
"I wouldn't get my hopes up," Zyrr shrugs, "they seem pretty stupid as far as fiends go. But if you have anything in particular to ask them, I've never been one to turn down an invitation to hurt somebody, why start now?"

Mando Knight
2011-11-03, 06:54 PM
"I suspect it would merely be a waste of our time. Common brutes so rarely have any real idea as to the true goals of their leaders, particularly with beings such as devils."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-04, 04:42 AM
"Killing devils is never a waste of time. Hopeless, possibly, there are always more, but it at least rids the worlds of the ugliness of a few of them." He sighs. "But I suppose you're right. We won't get anything out of them, and even if they are devils beating them up and then killing them just for the sake of doing it doesn't make us any better than them. Let's just go, then."

dariathalon
2011-11-04, 07:01 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods his agreement. "If you are convinced that there's nothing to learn from these fools, it hardly does us any good to keep standing here." He turns back to the building, "Did you have a chance to poke around in the other rooms? That's the only other thing I can think to do."

Hzurr
2011-11-04, 02:12 PM
DM Post

Behind you, you hear the door to the Chubby Imp creak open, and the three devils step out of the doorway into the alley, only to stop suddenly when they find you around the entrance. They snarl slightly. "And what the hells do you think you're doing here?" the lead fiend snarls.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-04, 04:36 PM
Eltain sneers, snarls back, and scoffs.

"Zorella sent us to check on you three. What the hells do you think you're doing here? Don't you idiots know you're supposed to be gone? Gods, haven't you figured out the plan yet? Get to work! Except you probably can't even tell me what it is you're supposed to be doing, because you probably haven't. Maybe you should repeat it to me so I can make sure you have it right. Wouldn't want to have it wrong and get in trouble, now would you?"

Bluff: [roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-04, 05:29 PM
DM Post

The Devil sneers. "Zorella can send you to do whatever she wants. We don't answer to that bitch. What we do is none of your business." he jabs a finger in Eltain's chest; apparently completely oblivious to the large symbol of Corellon tatooed on the half-eladrin's face.

Toric
2011-11-04, 07:52 PM
"Unless you were waiting on an update to the list." Zyrr interrupts, placing a grave emphasis on "list."

"If you don't know her, she's probably passing word along as a favor. A favor that transfers to us, thanks to our lucky gnome's betting problem." The dark-skinned elf gives Pavick an accusatory glare, as if that explains everything.

"That harpy wouldn't give us any details, saying it's for fiendish ears only, but the situation has escalated. You're expected on some 'jammer called 'Frost and Flame' about.... I'd say...." He glances at the sky for a moment before returning his irritated gaze to the three devils. "....Now. So I suggest you hurry."

[roll0]

dariathalon
2011-11-04, 08:33 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

At the mention of his "gambling problem," Pavick immediately casts his eyes on the ground in "embarassment." He jams his hands into his large pockets and begins nudging a pebble around on the ground with his toes. Pavick even manages to make his cheeks redden a few shades as he forces himself to remember a time when he'd gotten drunk during his apprenticeship. Somehow the next morning his mother had gotten word that he was ill, and had burst into the Septarch's tower to care for her sick little Pavickins.

May as well make a aid another attempt. [roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-04, 08:41 PM
DM Post

The devil's eyes narrow in suspicion and skepticism as Zyrr mentions Zorella doing a favor. Hands begin drifting to the swords at his side, but after taking a moment to weigh that a fight is very much not in their favor, the devils glare, before slinking off into the streets.

Hzurr
2011-11-04, 09:04 PM
DM Post

Lucan gets the sense that while the Devil's did't trust you, they couldn't be certain that you're lying. At the moment, they're simply on edge and mistrustful of everything. It's also clear that they were definitely not on friendly (or fiendly) terms with Zorella.

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-04, 09:05 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan stares with wide eyes at his companions. Why is he always the last to know what's going on?

"I'm sorry about your gambling problem," Lucan tells Pavick. "But you really shouldn't promise favors to devils. If you need a loan . . ." He turns to Zyrr. "And why didn't you tell me that you met Zorella while you were out? Did you learn anything from her?"

dariathalon
2011-11-04, 10:06 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick looks at Lucan. "You know... my gambling problem. The same one that caused me to get a job with Oedipus Rex?" He sighs, realizing that if Lucan doesn't understand this remark, he's probably just as well to remain blissfully ignorant.

He turns back to Zyrr. "I don't know if they believed you, but they're probably at least going somewhere to see if they can get some more information. It might be worth following them discreetly to see where they go from here."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-04, 10:13 PM
"Mostly I was just trying to get them to go away. As much as I want to drive my sword into their faces, in my condition it's doubtful I can." He looks embarrased. "Uh, Aramil. At some point can you, ah, give me a few... Pointers."

Hzurr
2011-11-07, 03:24 PM
DM Post

The Devils begin slinking down a nearby alley, into the twisting streets of Sigil. If you're going to follow them, you'd best move quickly.

Aside from that, this street that was formally dominated by The Chubby Imp seems surprisingly empty for Sigil. It seems that the vacuum left by the Devils still hasn't been filled yet, but given the nature of the city, it will be less than a day before the building is torn apart piece by piece as scavengers continue their constant search for building materials...

Toric
2011-11-07, 06:13 PM
A dark finger points to the fiends as they leave.

"Now that's interesting." Zyrr tells the others, too quietly for the devils to hear. "I gave them the name of a Spelljammer to go to, but I never told them where it is docked. Wherever they're going, it's not somewhere I sent them."

He turns to the others, a daredevil gleam in his eye. "Wanna tail 'em? I've learned a thing or two about directing others around me to the better hiding spaces, the ones I don't need." The drow rubs his hands together and cracks his knuckles. "Otherwise I'll let you know what I see when I get back, probably somebody we can play against Zorella should she bother us about her sister."

dariathalon
2011-11-07, 08:24 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick grins, "Don't think you're going off and possibly getting into trouble without me. I'll come along; I'm curious to see where they're heading too."

Pavick begins following the fiends, not waiting to see who else was coming. Whoever was coming would, and he really didn't want to lose the devils in the meantime.

I'm assuming you'll be needing this.

[roll0]

Nai_Calus
2011-11-07, 08:29 PM
Eltain shrugs and goes along with the others. They might need him, who knows.

"I'm not about to let those two get into trouble alone without someone to at least try to protect them..."

Stealth: [roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-07, 08:59 PM
DM Post

OOC: Anyone else who wishes to come with Eltain & Pavick are free to. Shep will politely excuse himself to return and see to the animals you recovered while the rest of you try and follow the Devils. I'll assume unless you say otherwise that you *will* be coming.

As you begin to follow the Fiends, they take a winding path through the city, and you realize that they're headed towards the Hive, the sixth ward of Sigil where the lowest of the low dwell. As you enter, you find that the twisting and winding streets of the city haven't even begun to prepare you for the maze that is the Hive. Barely standing buildings are packed together so tightly you feel claustrophobic just looking at them, many of them little more than shanties packed one on top of another. Beggars on the street call out for coin, cockroaches seem to scuttle in every shadow and even the street venders seem to be little more than derelicts who have hobbled together random nic-nacs and thrown them on a crate. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the citizens crowded into this hornet's nest; they appear to come from every race in the cosmos (you even see one who looks like a former Eladrin noble, but with the telltale marks in her eyes of magical opiate abuse). Still, even here there are a number of inns and taverns, each filled to the brim with decrepit tenants who have scrounged together a few coppers for ale.

Thieves seem to run rampant, and a number of times you find someone bumping into you, and a hand trying to reach into a pocket. Even the respect that devil would normally command seems lost here, as you see the three fiends you're following subject to the same.

OOC: Could I get a perception check from anyone who is following?

Mando Knight
2011-11-07, 09:06 PM
Aramil sighs at the eagerness of his companions. "I'd rather we not get into trouble this time at all. I doubt following those cretins will yield anything of use to us, and nothing we have found so far has told us otherwise."

Toric
2011-11-07, 10:22 PM
"Call it a hunch. ....Or a glorified whim. I'm going regardless."

"You want to learn some tricks of the roguish trade?" Zyrr asks Eltain as part of the group departs. "The first trick is to learn your boundaries and then reach just a little past them, like a prisoner grabbing a key on the other side of the bars. A thief is bold by definition; you'll never meet a humble cutpurse."

Zyrr gets to see a perfect illustration of his lecture shortly after, in the twisting depths of The Hive. He finds himself sorely missing his quick poison supplies, which would allow him to give the most aggressive of the pickpockets an unpleasant surprise when they examined their loot. As it is, most of the thieves part ways from the drow with nothing to show for their efforts but swatted hands, while some find themselves carrying pouches of smooth river stones and others end up in fact missing their own coinpurses.

[roll0] and a [roll1] to out-pickpocket a few of the pickpockets as they bump into Zyrr.

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-07, 10:40 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Still wondering about the trouble that Pavick's gotten in with his gambling, Lucan follows the others. He keeps an eye out for trouble, while keeping to the shadows. He's kind of sneaky, but, as has been noted before, what he's really, really good at is noticing things.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Nai_Calus
2011-11-07, 10:57 PM
"Perhaps not, I certainly doubt it, but they seem determined to do so, and I can't let them go into danger alone. I can't do much right now, but it's better than nothing. You haven't lost any of your abilities, and if there is trouble they'll need your aid," Eltain says to Aramil, standing in the eladrin's way and looking straight into his eyes. "I know you're probably angry with me for questioning you on the ship, and you haven't apparently deigned to listen to anything I've asked you since we arrived in Sigil, but at least listen to me on this. I hate this city, and I don't trust it, and I especially don't trust it with them. It's a couple hours out of your life at most, and you'll probably outlive me by a couple of centuries. I can still make time to guard my friends. So can you." He calmly waits for a reply before he turns to follow the others, regardless of whether he gets one.

Eltain is unperceptive: [roll0]

dariathalon
2011-11-07, 10:58 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick has little trouble hiding amongst the crowd as he enters the hive. Sometimes being small has it's advantages, as he is able to keep behind the rows of beggars lining the streetside without even needing to crouch. But then, again, sometimes there are disadvantages too, as at times he has trouble seeing what's going on.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-08, 12:15 PM
DM Post

As Pavick and Eltain (and Zyrr and Lucan?) move down the twisting streets, keeping the devils in view. At one point, Pavick catches sight of one of the devils glancing over his shoulder, and you see him lock eyes on Eltain for a split second before the Half-Eladrin can duck out of sight.

The Devil whispers something to his companions, and they immediately turn down a side street. You continue following them for a few minutes, but the group stops for a moment to speak with a group of well-armed bladelings loitering outside of a noisy tavern. They talk to the bladelings in a low voice, and you see one of the Devil's jerk his head over his shoulder slightly in your direction. One of the bladelings nod, and the devils move on into a dark alley-way near-by.

Insight DC 21
That alley looks like an excellent place for an ambush.

dariathalon
2011-11-08, 07:55 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick pauses for a moment, and quickly sends out a message to each of the others. His voice, barely above a whisper, travels by way of a ghost sound spell. "They've spotted Eltain for sure, maybe the rest of us too. The took those bladelings with them into an ally up ahead and are probably waiting to ambush us."

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-09, 12:34 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan looks at Pavick, and shrugs. Now what? he tries to get across.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-09, 05:17 PM
"It does look like an ambush. I'm not sure we can take them, but if you're willing to try I'll help. At this point though it's probably pointless, since we're not going to be able to follow them without problems now that they've seen us, and chances are they left the bladelings and are already gone through the alley." He sighs. "Sorry. I'm really not good at this sneaking around stuff..."

Hzurr
2011-11-09, 06:17 PM
DM Post

OOC: Assuming Aramil didn't change his mind about going with them, what will he be doing back at the Inn?

Mando Knight
2011-11-09, 07:38 PM
DM Post

OOC: Assuming Aramil didn't change his mind about going with them, what will he be doing back at the Inn?
(I was just about to get to that, but I'm a bit slow sometimes.)

Aramil does not reply to Eltain's chastisement. He simply did not think that they would be so focused on this fool's errand that he couldn't dissuade them from it. The four leave while Aramil is still calculating a formal argument. He sighs, and after checking back in at the Inn, he heads off again to the library. If he can't leave for home immediately, he can at least sift through the news archives to catch up on anything that occurred while he was gone.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-09, 08:57 PM
(Time warp)

Eltain lets out a half-strangled cry of frustration at Aramil's continued lack of response.

"Then be that way. I don't want to talk to you right now either. If you come to your senses, maybe there'll be time for us to talk before I leave for the Winter Lands. At least Toveliss and Certhiel want me around." He sighs as he turns away from Aramil to follow the others, biting his lip to try to keep tears from falling. He can't understand why Aramil suddenly seems to want nothing to do with him. Wasn't Aramil the one he'd thought of almost as the brother he'd never had? The one who'd first taught him how to get more in touch with his fey nature? It hurt almost as much as the day he'd realized that other children had parents, and that his weren't ever going to come for him. In his distracted, heartbroken state, he's not very good at hiding.

(End time warp)

Toric
2011-11-09, 09:07 PM
"I don't like this." Zyrr whispers as he stares at the bladelings. "That seems like something I'd do, and I don't have any bright ideas to shake up their plan. Even though we've come all this way, I say we retreat for now."

dariathalon
2011-11-09, 09:13 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick shrugs helplessly. "I've got a few ideas for pulling them out of ambush and taking care of the lot of them, but I really don't see how that would solve much of anything. The reason I wanted to follow them was to see where they were going. Now that they've spotted us, they aren't going to continue on without first taking care of us. If we get into a rumble with them and knock them all out, even as prisoners I doubt they would (or could) tell us much."

"I could send an illusion of Eltain down the alley to see how they react. I'd guess they'll converge on him, so I could follow that up with a sleep spell, but I just don't know what that would gain us right now."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-09, 09:13 PM
"I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do now that they've seen us. Let's go back to the inn." He sighs in relief. At least they weren't going to try anything really stupid.

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-10, 12:11 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Sure, let's go," Lucan says. He keeps an eye on the apparent ambush as they leave.

[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-10, 10:03 AM
DM Post

Aramil's searching of the news is more difficult than he imagined. The news from the feywild is rarely reliable, and a number of the accounts he reads seem to be directly contradictory. One bit of news that does seem reliable is that Oran, lord of the Green Fey, has yet to recover from whatever illness plagued him. It seems that his daughter Selephra, the Bramble Queen, is speaking on his behalf now rather than his other daughter Verenestra (also called the Oak Princess).

OOC: I've actually got a list of all the Fey Courts/Lords that I can provide to you, but I want to read the Heroes of the Feywild book and see if I want to change anything. I should be picking up a copy today.

------------------

Everyone else manages to get back to the Inn without incident. There's no reply to Pavick's letter yet, although it's still a bit early to expect a reply from Karl Stoneshine.

OOC: Are Eltain/Aramil going to send any messages, or are y'all just going to meet everyone directly at the Court of Stars?

Nai_Calus
2011-11-10, 12:45 PM
Eltain packs his meager belongings and goes down to the common room.

"Lucan, you'd said you wanted to go with me when I went to the Winter lands to meet up with Toveliss and check on Limara? Well, I plan to leave as soon as Aramil gets back and I can have a talk with him. You know this city better than I do, I need you to find us a tout to guide us to a suitable portal to take us to the Feywild, as close to Certhiel's realm as possible." He pauses and looks Lucan up and down.

"...And dress warmly. It doesn't bother me as much since I'm from there, but unsurprisingly, it's really cold there."

He sits to wait for Aramil's return.

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 10:23 PM
Before he leaves the library, Aramil checks for a map of gate locations, to see if there's any place that would get him close to home without needing to shop for the egg of a millennium falcon or planetary alignment or something.

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-10, 10:55 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan goes hunting for a portal, and some warm clothes.

Hzurr
2011-11-11, 10:18 AM
DM Post

Aramil's searching finds several portals to the Feywild, but it looks like the one that lead directly to the Printempest estate was a one-way. There are several that lead to Senaliesse directly, and one that leads to Mythrassar (where you could easily find a teleportation circle and get back to the family estates that way.

Lucan has little difficulty finding warm clothing, both of the traditional variety, and of the magical variety. Most of the clothing that seems to be enchanted to keep users warm tends to be for females, though (there seems to be a large market for women who want to wear revealing clothing and armor at all times without any of the logical side effects. Odd...). As far as Portals go, there are a few who lead directly to the lands of the Winter Court, but none commonly known that go near the Fortress of Frozen tears. There is one available that leads to Yukancor, only a few days travel from Certhiel's palace.

Alternately, you could take the spell-jammer to one of the costal cities of the Feywild, and see if you can find any teleportation circles there that will let you journey to wherever your final destination is.

Mando Knight
2011-11-11, 12:19 PM
Most of the clothing that seems to be enchanted to keep users warm tends to be for females, though (there seems to be a large market for women who want to wear revealing clothing and armor at all times without any of the logical side effects. Odd...).
(And not much of a market for anything else as far as women's clothing goes. Somehow.)

Aramil returns to the inn, and upon seeing the others, he walks up to them and asks "So, did you have fun devil-watching?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-11, 01:15 PM
Eltain's presence is as usual a tangible thing, his wintry nature turning his mood into a gust of cold air.

"They spotted me and tried to set up an ambush. We declined to oblige them and returned." He stands and grabs Aramil's wrist in an icy grasp.

"We need to talk."

Mando Knight
2011-11-11, 03:30 PM
"Ah, yes. You have some grievances you wish to address."

Aramil calls for a drink and sits. "I guess we're running a little overdue on it."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-11, 05:42 PM
Eltain arches an eyebrow.

"I have grievances? More things I'm bothered by. Rather, I've been wondering what yours are, since you've been so pointedly ignoring me almost since we got here. I suppose I am disappointed that, fool's errand or no, you didn't want to try to protect the others. I can understand not wanting anything further to do with devils, though I highly doubt you were as profoundly affected by it as I've been. I've lost my powers. I can't protect them worth a damn right now. I still try. So I suppose I want to know what in the hells has gotten into you to make you ignore your friends and not want to help them."

Mando Knight
2011-11-11, 09:10 PM
Aramil looks at Eltain quizzically. "Ignoring you? I haven't been..."

He pauses for a moment. "...Hm. I suppose I have."

He sighs before continuing. "I didn't mean any malice by it. As for what you believe was abandonment, I was merely trying to make my point clearer while also making an admittedly dangerous gamble. How do you think you would have responded to the threat of ambush if I came along? I think that if I was as determined to hound the devils as you were, I would have rushed headlong into it, sword blazing. By not accompanying you, I had hoped to deter any idea of pointless engagements. If it had come to worse, I would hope that someone would have sent word, and I would have made my best time to help."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-11, 10:49 PM
Eltain snorts.

"Oh, so I'm hotheaded and you don't trust me to not do anything 'stupid', then, is that it? Just because I'm younger than you doesn't make me an idiot, Aramil. Age doesn't make you smarter, or Lucan wouldn't be as perpetually out to lunch. Is that why you were ignoring me? Because I'm not smart or Eladrin enough for you? Well maybe I'm upset because we let the bastards have their way. Maybe I'm upset because everyone but me was all for working for bloody sodding devils. And of course in the end who actually has problems because of it? Me, of course, the one person who objected. I can't do anything, Aramil, short of what I managed to pick up at the arcane school they sent us to because we were expected to learn about magic. Because I went along with that madness. But no, obviously if I have you at my side in case things go south, I'm going to just rush stupidly into something I know better about. I am a child, yes, but that doesn't make me stupid." He half-snarls in miserable, desparing semirage.

"We saw them do it, but what if we hadn't? What if we'd walked into it unaware? I wouldn't have been able to do anything but throw myself in front of them to die to try to buy them time with my worthless, useless life. And maybe it wouldn't have been enough even then." He shudders. "I've been trying to conceal it but it's useless. I'm useless. That's why I've been asking for your help. Not that it matters now, we're leaving as soon as Lucan comes back, but... Damn it, Aramil. I thought we were friends. You were like the brother I never had. But then you ignore me and refuse to help and try to shrug it off like it's nothing when it's not." He's crying now, snow falling about him into a miserable heap.

Mando Knight
2011-11-12, 06:31 PM
"No, I'm saying that I can be hotheaded and in trying to avoid that I came off as rather cold. I'm the one who was too stupid and brash to properly delineate terms for the contract, but you're the one who's hung up over it."

Aramil sighs. "Look, I don't know what I could say to make you feel better about this whole ordeal. I just think that if something's going on that makes all the devils pull out of Sigil, if we're going to stop what we might have started, our best shot is to get the strongest allies we can, which means we need to go to the Court of Stars rather than chasing goons that probably don't know anything."

He waves his hand as if to brush that topic aside. "As for you thinking you're not a paladin anymore, I think it could very well be a self-sustaining loop. I might not know much about divine magic, but I know it relies on faith, so I think that maybe you can't access it because you believe you aren't worthy of accessing it. I can show you how to implement arcane magic into swordplay, but I can't restore your sense of self-worth. That's something that you'll need to find within yourself."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-12, 10:36 PM
Eltain nods distantly, brushing snow from his clothing.

"I suppose so..." He sighs and stares at the table. "This whole mess just makes me sick. I know we need allies, but ugh. I can't stand devils. There's no beauty in them at all. At least the winter fey there's hope of redeeming, but devils... All you can do is just stab them to death, and even that's hopeless since there are always more." He frowns, rubbing the tears from his eyes before sitting up straight and giving Aramil his best imperious stare.

"And I'm the only one allowed to be cold around here," he says, the faint ghost of a smile playing about the corners of his mouth. "I don't see you snowing." He forms a ball from some of the snow that's fallen about him and playfully tosses it at Aramil, grinning.

"And I know more about arcane magic than you might think. I actually did formally study it for a bit, until the temple made me stop. We were expected to undergo at least a year of training at the local magic academy, I went for three before they dragged me back." He frowns a bit again. "I'm horribly rusty, though, and of course I only had time to get down the basics. I don't suppose you want to spar a bit until Lucan gets back? I could use a bit of practice."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-12, 10:39 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan buys some mundane warm clothes for himself, and an enchanted little dress for Lena.

Hzurr
2011-11-14, 11:52 AM
DM Post

Lucan successfully buys clothes for his familiar. The shopkeeper gives him an odd look.

While Aramil and Eltain talk, Zyrr is able to have a fairly quiet evening in the Inn common room. In Lucan's absence, a new musician was hired on at the inn; and although it would have amazed you to have considered it a few days before, apparently half-orcs are not entirely inept at playing the tuba. It's actually a rather enjoyable sound...

There is an odd moment when another group of male Drow enter the inn. As they look around, searching for a table, they spot Zyrr. One of them whispers something to the rest, and they eye Zyrr with scorn as they move to take a table on the far side of the room.

Late in the evening, however, Pavick finally gets a response from Karl Stoneshine.

My honored confrčre Roslow,
How delightful to hear from you. From what I've gathered you seem to be filled with the wanderlust that so often plagues the younger members of our race, so it filled me with great pleasure to find you had received my note. My schedule is dreadfully busy at the moment, so I would find myself hard-pressed to make time to complete our acquaintance at this current juncture. My current timetable has me arriving at Senaliesse a few days before the official opening ceremonies and pomp of the Court commences, so if you wish to rendezvous with me at that point, I'll be certain my agenda has a slot alloted for you. In the interim, I do implore you to make the best of your contacts in the Spring and Winter Courts on behalf of our people. As I'm assured you are aware, the Winter Court carries much more clout than the Spring, but I understand if the prospect of interacting with such formidable fey could be daunting to the less experienced.

Sincerely,

Karl Stoneshine
Head-Mage, Illusory Studies
Sreenivasa Academy of Magic

Toric
2011-11-15, 08:19 PM
Zyrr is smiling and merrily tapping his foot to the rhythmic oompahpahs of the half-orc bard, when in come some of his kindred. He pulls the rim of his hat down and watches them from beneath it, foot still playing the part of the metronome. Seeing that they have no obvious motives more sinister than diving into their cups and glaring, he grabs his tankard and makes his way across the floor, hopping and dancing to the baritone beat and flipping a coin to the musician's corner at the halfway point. When he reaches his brothers' table Zyrr grabs a chair and twists it to face away from the table, sitting down onto it and resting his arms onto the chair's back.

"It seems my reputation precedes me. If I'd have known my presence was bringing in regular drow patrons I'd have asked Lucan for a boarding discount." He runs his fingers across the feather in his hat, then extends his hand. "I trust from the looks on your faces you know exactly who I am. And if you were going to try to kill me we wouldn't all be sitting here. So what can I do for you?"

Mando Knight
2011-11-15, 08:23 PM
Aramil smirks. "Very well, but don't expect me to go easy on you."

Hzurr
2011-11-15, 08:41 PM
DM Post

Around the common room, a few of the patrons glance towards the stairway leading to the second floor curiously, as the sounds of battle and the tell-tale "bamf!" noise of air filling into the space after a creature teleports begin echoing down from above. Interspersed with blasts of cold air and warm spring breezes, the entire inn seems highly distracted by the goings-on upstairs, until one of the bouncers closes the door.

Downstairs, the drow look a bit uncomfortable as Zyrr sits down at the table. The drow sitting on the far-side of the table, a bit tall for a male, scowls. "We have nothing to say to you, you piece of rothe dung. You're a traitor to your people, and the priestesses are going to make you scream for mercy before they sacrifice you." He points back towards the table that Zyrr was sitting at before joining them. "Why don't you just go back to what you were doing, and maybe we'll forget to tell any of the females that we saw you."

----------

Lucan, entering the Inn and listening to Lina prattle on about her new clothes and "not wanting those winter fey to think I'm some sort of fairy slu-" has a unique view of the bar from where he enters. More importantly, from where he's standing, he can see one of the drow that Zyrr is sitting with slowly drawing a knife from a boot sheath.

dariathalon
2011-11-15, 08:47 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick folded the note over and tucked it away in his pocket. He was doing his best to ignore Karl Stoneshine's... personality, but he was already thinking this court of stars could be a very long event. "Okay, so no advanced meeting, but he wants me to try to get in good with the winter court. Ugh... That could be a problem." He says aloud, to no one in particular. "Maybe Eltain won't mind if I come along when he and Lucan go there."

He sits back in his chair to listen to the music while waiting for Lucan to return from his shopping trip or for Eltain and Aramil to finish their conversation. At the same time, he notices Zyrr approach the table of drow. His "could be trouble" sensor is screaming loudly, so he is sure to keep an eye on what is going on there too.

Toric
2011-11-15, 09:10 PM
Zyrr spreads his arms in mock surprise at the insults and threats. "Well I didn't think I'd stirred up that much trouble. Come now, can't we just forget about the world outside our mead, drink up, and enjoy some Sorlian polka?" He gestures his tankard to the fellow playing his heart out on the cumbersome instrument, then takes in the unchanged glares. "No? Well, none can say I never tried to make friends." He rises from the chair and drags it behind him, away from the table of hostile drow. As he leaves, he keeps his eye on the tuba player, with the big, conical bell perched atop his shoulder. very bronze, very polished, very reflective.

[roll=Perception]1d20+6 to watch the drow in the tuba's reflection.

Hzurr
2011-11-15, 09:28 PM
DM Post

OOC: Zyrr's perception - [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-15, 09:34 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan unlimbers his bow and walks up behind the table with the drow. He sees that Zyrr is leaving, but he's ready, just in case.

Minor
Draw bow

Move
Walk up to behind drow

Standard
If any of the drow move to attack Zyrr, use Karmic Wound
[roll0]
[roll1]
On hit, if the drow hits with an attack before the end of my next turn, he takes an additional [roll2] damage.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-15, 10:09 PM
Eltain grins.

"I'd be offended if you did." He closes his eyes for a moment and concentrates on what he'd learned years ago from Master Ephram Theryn, his favorite teacher at the academy he'd gone to, who had taught him the basics of how to meld arcane magic and swordplay. He reaches for his own inner power, calls it to his hand and springs forward through the void, slashing at Aramil.

"Bring it, old man."

For ****s and giggles, let's see if Eltain can actually hit Aramil:

[roll0]

Ephram Theryn was my first 4E character. He was a Shielding Swordmage, and the source of my love for teleport-y magic users who stab things with their minds.

Hzurr
2011-11-15, 10:43 PM
DM Post

As Lucan draws his bow and steps up behind the Drow, on of the dark elves glances back. Cursing, he starts to stand, and you see the rest of the Drow begin reaching for hidden daggers and wands, but they suddenly freeze in their tracks as the two huge half-ogre bouncers step up behind Lucan, and stare at the Drow, arms crossed, biceps bulging. In a deep voice, one of the half-ogres growls "Mister Thoene, are these punks bothering you?"

OOC: I suddenly remembered mid post that Lucan is standing in a Inn that he owns. With people that are employed to prevent fights...

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-15, 11:15 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"These gentlemen were just leaving," Lucan says calmly. "Show them out, will you?"

OOC: Let's see if my large friends can help convince the drow to be reasonable.
[roll0]

Hzurr
2011-11-16, 12:14 AM
DM Post

The Bouncers nod "Whatever you want, Mr. Thoene," and moments later the Drow find themselves in a heap outside the door in the rainy streets of Sigil.

The rest of the night is rather uneventful, with the exception of an incredible flute-tuba duet by Lucan and the Half-orc.

OOC: What are people's plans between now and the time you all head for the Feywild?

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 12:28 AM
Eltain's strike slips through Aramil's mythal barrier, forcing him to redirect the blow with his own blade. Not a complete parry, but enough to move the hit towards a more favorable location. "Good. But we already both know your skill at swordplay alone."

Breaking out of the blade bind by teleporting behind Eltain, Aramil reposts with his own twin slashes, the first terribly wide almost as a feint, but the second, more precise stroke leaves residual thunder about Eltain, forbidding escape.
[roll0]
[roll1]
(Do you wish to resolve this in a play-by-play, or skip to the end? I can go either way.)

Hzurr
2011-11-16, 12:42 AM
OOC: I'm assuming we'll handwave the battle. 1-on-1 PC fights aren't really practical in 4e, and this would basically be "who does the forum roller like more at thus point in time" since terrain/tactics don't really matter in the current situation. Feel free to narrate and be creative in your description, but skip to the end.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-16, 08:23 AM
Aramil is hit by a blast of ice crystals as Eltain suddenly vanishes to appear across the room, before channeling a bolt of arcane energy at the swordmage. It goes wide, partly due to Aramil's superb reflexes and partly due to Eltain's own surprise that he can still pull that off. The battle continues in much of the same vein, the two fey trading blows and teleporting around the room, until finally Aramil lands a decisive blow and Eltain yields.

"Ow... Well, I guess I'm better than I thought at this, but I definitely still need practice." He grins. "You're good. Master Theryn would have loved you."

Feel free to elaborate more of your side of the battle, Mando, especially how you take Eltain down. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 01:48 PM
During the engagement, Aramil is always mindful of the flow of battle. After a few exchanges, Eltain disengages, and Aramil reaches out with his open left hand, whipping tendrils of lightning around Eltain and pulling him back into the swordmage's reach, where he finishes the duel with a sound thwack to his counterpart's left side.

When Eltain yields, Aramil nods and sheathes his sword. "I have to be, to make sure none of us die on our often-reckless adventures. You remembered your lessons well, to keep up as long as you did without relying on your armor and shield. Do keep in mind that your left side in particular is more open to attack without them, however."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-16, 05:36 PM
(Eltain is left-handed. I have never mentioned this, so not knowing it is perfectly OK. He holds his shield in his right hand, so it's his right side that's more exposed.)

"Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Aramil." He sighs. "I should go find Lucan and get him packed and see what he found out about portals, so we can get going. Is there anything you want me to say to Limara for you, or will you just wait until we meet back up?"

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 09:14 PM
"There's a lot I'd prefer to discuss with her in person, and after I see my father again. So until then, just give her my best."

Hzurr
2011-11-16, 09:35 PM
DM Post

OOC: For everyone's reference, since this would be common knowledge The Court of Stars (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/five-fey-and-a-rock/wikis/fey-overview).

Toric
2011-11-16, 10:17 PM
Zyrr watches with sadistic glee as the ogres earn their pay. Once the trash has been disposed, he claps a hand on Lucan's shoulder. "Thanks for the help. I'll have to pay you back later."

---

Zyrr spends much of his time exploring Sigil's places and people. Quite aware that several drow want to kill him, he leaves Lucan's each day with a different disguise thanks to his magical hat. A fire genasi one day, a githzerai the next, each day gives him multitudes of new disguises, exotic new alchemical and culinary ingredients, and a lot of interesting conversation besides.

He also picks up some tools to train Eltain in thievery, should the half-eladrin wish.

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 11:10 PM
Unlike Zyrr, Aramil is intent on heading out the very next morning.

Toric
2011-11-17, 12:05 AM
...In which case Zyrr settles for a night of drink and song at the inn the likes of which he probably won't have the opportunity for quite some time.

dariathalon
2011-11-17, 12:22 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Once Eltain finally comes down from his training session with Aramil, Pavick marches up to him with a look of purpose. "I've come to a decision," he begins. "I would like to accompany you and Lucan to the realm of the winter fey for the days leading up to the Court of Stars. From my previous encounters with them, I know there are many there with darkness in their hearts. The best way to help them is of course to reach out to them in friendship. As a representative of the gnomish delegation, I would like to see what I can do about beginning that process a little early. What do you say?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-17, 12:40 AM
Eltain nods at Aramil's decision.

"Indeed. Given everything..." He sighs. "I'm sure Toveliss is treating her well. He doesn't seem like a bad sort. Say, Aramil. Can I ask you to... Try to be kind to him during the court? I know he's with the Winter Court, but, well, that's what he was born to. It's like me and my own wintry nature, it's just how I was born. I don't think he really knows anything about what's going on, and I doubt he's part of it. I want to try to get him away from it, or at least try to get him to attempt to do something about it from the inside, if I can." He smiles. "Well, you know me. Always wanting to save everybody." He grins. "I'd better go see what Lucan's found out. I plan to leave as soon as possible. Good luck, Aramil." He gives the eladrin a fond, if somewhat chilly, hug.

He heads downstairs to find Lucan, but is intercepted by Pavick.

"I think that's a fantastic idea. Toveliss seems like a good place to start, he's certainly seemed friendly and honest enough so far. I'm hoping to win him over to our side. I'll give you the same advice I gave Lucan, though. Dress warmly, it's rather cold there." He grins. "Maybe snowshoes. I don't want to lose you in the snow."

He looks about for Lucan and finds him. He raises an eyebrow at Lena's new outfit, before it dawns on him what it's for, and a newfound respect for Lucan enters his eyes as a smile breaks out on his face.

"That's very thoughtful of you, Lucan. Most people just assume their familiars have no need of anything and ignore them, rather than trying to do things for them. It might seem a little bit embarrassing, Lena, but take heart. He's just trying to look out for you." He pats Lena on the shoulder reassuringly with his finger.

"What did you find out about portals? And I'd suggest packing if you haven't, I want to leave as soon as possible."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-17, 08:48 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I still haven't finished replacing the supplies I lost in the Tangle," Lucan says. "But I can do that tomorrow. Lena's been making a list." He pulls out a tiny scroll about an inch wide, but a foot long. There's writing on it, but it's too small to make out. "We already got the first item: warm clothes. Just 96 more to go". He smiles happily, and Lena gives a cheerful little warble from by his shoulder. "Oh yes, portals. The closest I could find is about a day away from Certhiel's place."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-17, 12:14 PM
Eltain gives the two Ls a Look.

"You do not need all of this. You can't *carry* all of this. There'll be supplies in the winter lands, we'll stock up while we're there. The point of going is to leave as soon as possible, preferably today, so we have as much time there as possible to begin trying to forge good relationships with the winter court in order to try to put internal pressure on them to avoid hostilities. I'm hoping to try to avoid a war, or at least to make it less terrible. Time is of the essence."

Mando Knight
2011-11-17, 12:18 PM
"Don't worry. I'll treat him like a brother... he is married to my sister, after all. I'm more worried about you, actually. Going back home may raise questions and rumors about your past. Don't let them cloud your pursuit of the truth and the future."

At Lucan's mention of supplies, Aramil adds "I suppose I'll need to make a quick trip to the market as well. I've been meaning to get magical storage for a while now."

(By which I mean that technically I've still 5000 gp on my character sheet that I've been neglecting to spend, and finally going to use it on a Handy Haversack.)

Hzurr
2011-11-17, 06:24 PM
DM Post

After some last minute shopping, Lucan, Eltain, and Pavick are ready to head to the Winter Lands. The portal nearest Certhiel's lands is a bit difficult to use, as it is barely wide enough for a person to fit through, and only rises two feet above the surface of the street. Pavick may be able to limbo-through, but Lucan and Eltain are forced to crawl on their stomachs, each clutching the hairball of an orange cat (which is not the strangest key you've heard of using to open a portal, but it is fairly odd.)

Emerging through on the other side, the first thing you notice is a sudden stillness. After the constant clammer and noise of the streets of Sigil, the sudden change is rather discomforting. The sky above is a pale grey, not a shaft of sunlight to be seen, and as far as you can see, the ground is nothing but a layer of fresh white snow. The few trees that you see across the landscape look as if they exploded from the inside, the bark snapped and twisted as the pressure from the frozen sap inside proved to be too much strain for even the mighty trees of the feywild. Behind you, mountains loom, their peaks looking to be on the verge of avalanche. A long, winding river completely frozen cuts a path through the mountain down into the valley below, and following it's path you can see where what would have once been a spectacular waterfall nearly a mile high, is now an unmoving cascade of ice, glistening in the ambient light.

Built into the frozen ice of the waterfall, thousands of feet above the ground below, is the town of Celanthir, home of the Sharma noble family. Celanthirhas no walls, but instead is a cluster of buildings made from ice coaxed out of the waterfall, each connected by a thick bridge of ice. Even from a distance, the various tiers of the city are evident.

The first buildings as you plunge down the side of the waterfall face are the temples and noble houses. Eltain instantly recognizes the walls of the temple of Corellon, the ice of the temple blue-tinted and gleaming in the faint light. Less grand, but still prominent, are the temples to Sehanine and The Raven Queen, the former for her connection to the Feywild, and the latter for her domain over Winter. Similarly, the palace of Certhiel rests on this upper level, removed slightly from the various temples, surrounded by the smaller manor houses of other influential Fey

The second tier seems to be filled with shops, smithies, taverns, and inns. This is clearly the business section of the city, and at this distance you can see figures moving across the ice bridges from store to store.

The final tier, lowest on the waterfall side, but still over a thousand feet above the ground below, are the homes of the various winter fey who live in the city. Celanthir isn't exceptionally large, but is home to all manner of fey beings, not only Eladrin, and this tier is by far the largest. Some of the ice buildings here are clearly houses, whereas some appear to be fountains and pools (no doubt the home of nymphs and sprites).

The path to the edge of the frozen river and waterfall below is a fairly easy journey, but navigating down the side of the ice chute will take some time. Eltain knows that stairs and ramps have been carved into the back-side of the frozen waterfall, but for non-winter creatures, even those can be treacherous for the careless.

You were fortunate to arrive during the day. There are only a few hours of light before the long, dark nights of the Winter Lands. Further into the Vale of the Long Night, the sun doesn't rise at all, and the only light comes from the pale glow of the always full moon.

----------------------

OOC: Are Aramil, Shep & Zyrr doing anything else in Sigil before heading back to the Printempest manor?

Nai_Calus
2011-11-17, 09:47 PM
Eltain's breath catches as he sees the city he was raised in for the first time in several years. His heart aches with sad nostalgia as he picks out familiar buildings, places he once saw nearly every day. To the others, he supposes, this must seem like such a harsh, dark place. To him, however, it has a very different feel: Even now, it's still Home.

"I never thought I'd see this place again... I have so much to show you, let's get going!" Eltain grins excitedly, the snow and ice crystals glittering about him blending in with the landscape. Here in the feywild in the winter lands, his nature is almost disturbing. Even more ice crystals than before cling to his face, his breath doesn't fog in the air and he's even paler than usual, his skin only very faintly toned pink. He leads the group to where the access routes are hidden.

"Be extremely careful. Teleport when you can, it's hard going, especially if you're not from around here. Me, I'm used to ice, but you guys..."

Eltain was 14 when he ran away, if you're wondering. Late 14, near 15.

Eltain is also going to bypass as much of any potential skill challenge as possible by teleporting down to the city rather than walking. Because he can. :smalltongue:

Toric
2011-11-17, 11:01 PM
"Well?" Zyrr asks Aramil after Eltain and Lucan leave. "Shall we be off? I can't wait to see what weapons I'll be greeted with this time!" His tone is only a half jest.

((Zyrr has nothing to do before leaving.)

dariathalon
2011-11-18, 11:29 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick follows Eltain and Lucan through the snow. His several layers of thick winter clothing make him waddle slightly back and forth as he walks, but he puts up with it for the sake of warmth. The clothing does a fairly good job of keeping him warm, but he cheats a little using a prestidigitation to warm his scarf and hood to keep the chilly air away from his face.

He is pleased to see Eltain in a good mood at being back in his homeland. "You just lead the way. I'll do my best to follow," he says.

Once they reach the base of the frozen waterfall, Pavick pauses. "Hold on for a moment. His thick layer's mean he has a difficult time getting into his pack, but after a few moments, he pulls out a length of rope. "Here Eltain, Lucan," he says handing each of them an end while he holds the middle. "This way if one of us slips hopefully the other two can keep him from sliding all the way down."

Here is the mental image to use for Pavick all decked out in his winter gear.
http://fansofbeingamom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ChristmasStorySnowsuit.jpg

Nai_Calus
2011-11-19, 12:03 AM
Eltain nods to Pavick.

"I'll scout ahead, that way if I run into a bad patch I can teleport to safety and obviously warn you."

He begins to descend, cautiously testing the steps as he goes.

OOC: I assume it's skill challenge time?

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-19, 02:29 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan accepts the rope gratefully, and then begins to climb down, being very careful as he does.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hzurr
2011-11-19, 02:12 PM
DM Post

OOC: No, no skill challenge. That was just flavor text. I'm not to the point where I'll make you take a skill test just to walk down stairs in a non-combat situation.

@Eltain, Lucan & Pavick

The next several hours are spent moving across the frozen planes towards the top of the waterfall. It's an odd sensation, to see a land so desolate of life, but still feeling an energy in the air that you would in a bustling city. As you track across the snow, you do see a number of strange sights. Every once in a while, a gust of wind will stir up loose snowflakes, and for a moment it seems as if they take the form of humanoids for a brief second before the wind dies down and the bits of frozen ice fall back to the ground.

As you reach the top of the waterfall, the stairs are not difficult to find. Around the entrance, glowing blue runes illuminate the area, acting both as a beacon, and as a ward against unwelcome visitors.

Moving behind the frozen waterfall, the still air seems even colder here than it did in the open behind you. Each breath you take freezes in the air, drops to the ground, and shatters; so your entire journey is punctuated by what sounds like shattering glass. Still, the clothes you purchased seem warm enough, and you're able to press on in spite of the gnawing cold.

Whatever caused this waterfall to freeze must have happened almost instantaneously. Peering through the ice, you can still see an occasional fish whose journey over the falls was forever frozen. The varying thickness of the ice warps the light passing through, causing the images of the creatures in the water to grow and shrink as you walk past. It's difficult to tell because of the light, but some of the eyes seem to follow you.

After a bit, you hear an odd medley coming from below. At first it simply sounds like wind, but after listening for a moment, there is a definite tune in the air. The tune grows ever louder as you descend, until rounding a bend in the staircase, you finally discover the source. A Satyr, sitting on a small stool, is moving his hands over a series of holes in the ice. After watching a moment, you eventually realize that the wind moving through the holes is causing the noise, and the Satyr is using his hands to alter the pitch of each of these makeshift pipes, creating an odd melody that sounds both natural, yet constructed.

After a few minutes, the Satyr looks up at the three of you and gives a half-grin. "Beautiful, isn't it? I'd heard of these pipes from my cousin, but had never gotten to play them until today." He resumes his playing, but glances back towards you from time to time. "So, what brings you to Celanthir? Most traders come from the base of the falls..."

----------------------

@Aramil, Zyrr, & The Shepherd

Back in Sigil, finding a portal that leads back to the Printempest household is proving rather difficult. It seems that the portals that exist are either unpredictable, or under the ownership of those who don't wish to share. In the end, the easiest task seems to be to take a portal back to Mythrassar, and using a public teleportation circle to return to Aramil's home.

The transition from Sigil to Mythrassar isn't as jarring as your companions faced. The portal opens directly into the city, so the transition is merely from one city to another. That being said the transition is still a bit odd, as the first city was dark, grey, and rainy; whereas the second is a neverending autumn paradise.

Navigating your way through the tall tall towers of Mythrassar is fairly easy, but takes longer than you would expect. The Noble families of the city, the Solielle and the Shynovinne, have begun their journey to Senaliesse for the Court. As per Summer Fey tradition, the Sidhe Lords make the bi-annual trek via the traditional litters carried by Fey servants rather than simply using magic to speed the journey along. The citizens of the city have lined the main boulevards to watch the procession, making travel through the city streets a rather difficult task for those unfamiliar with the back alleyways and side-streets.

OOC: I'm assuming there's nothing you want to do in Mythrassar. If there is, let me know and we'll back up to this point.

Eventually, you arrive at one of the public teleportation circles. A bit of gold changes hands, and soon you find yourself back in a familiar room in the Printempest estate.

As usual, there's the normal rush of nasuea and the sound of guards reading weapons at the sight of the Drow, but after a moment Aramil is recognized, and saluted.

Word is sent out, and a few minutes later Azula and Selene arrive. The golden haired Azula is again wearing the color-changing dress, and she quickly moves forward to greet Aramil. Selene remains at the entrance, ever the picture of a fey lady-in-waiting, eyes downcast.

Azula gives that same glowing smile that never quite reaches her eyes, and she slips her hand under Aramils arm and begins walking with him. "It is good that you've returned. Tomorrow the other members of the Spring Court are due to arrive, and we must plan how to address that nagging issue with our colder kin. Oh, and your friends arrived in the Winter lands safely. They're making their way towards Celanthir as we speak."

As she leads Aramil off, Selene approaches Zyrr and Shep, bowing slightly. "Welcome back, sirs. Can I show you to your rooms, or is there anything I can get for you?"

Haberdashery
2011-11-19, 03:13 PM
The tall, willowy figure of the Shepherd leaned heavily on his oak crook, and nodded his head respectfully in reply to Selene's bow. Once Azula was out of earshot, the Shepherd's head took to a slight angle, like some great, flightless bird of stone and obsidian.

"Every time I see you, Selene, you look so serious, and almost melancholy." He began, taking deliberate time with his words. "I sometimes find myself wondering if you are actually content."

Hzurr
2011-11-19, 06:51 PM
DM Post

Selene looks up at Shep, and the corner of her mouth twitches slightly. "I appreciate your concern, but you should not mistake discretion and subtlety for discontent and unhappiness."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-19, 07:17 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan stares at the instrument. "It is beautiful," Lucan says. "How does it work?"

Hzurr
2011-11-19, 08:08 PM
DM Post

The Satyr motions Lucan over. "Come, I'll show you." he takes hold of the Bard's hands, and holds them out over the holes in the waterfall. "The ice acts as natural pipes, and..." he moves Lucan's hand's up and down, and beneath his gloved fingers Lucan can feel the currents of air shifting. "..by altering the flow of the air, you can change the pitch, just like with a flute or a pipe."

It takes Lucan a few moments, but after a bit you're able to adjust the flows of air to your liking, and begin composing. Yet try as you might, the pipes seem to force every song into a minor key, and the ever-present notes of the airflows you can't reach or can't spare a hand for give the medleys you create a haunting, somber tone. It's beautiful, in a way, but a far cry from the upbeat, cheerful music Lucan is accustom to.

After a few minutes, the Satyr eyes Eltain and Pavick. "Would either of you wish to play the pipes?" he asks, arching an eyebrow.

Haberdashery
2011-11-19, 08:10 PM
The Shepherd rubbed the length of his nose.

"No, you're right, but sometimes one causes the other."

He could have launched into saying that the quietest goat is often the loneliest, despite all bleats to the contrary, but the Feywild never struck him as a place where words of goatly wisdom were appropriate.

Hzurr
2011-11-20, 11:49 AM
DM Post

Selene's eyes drop again, but it seems to Shep that she's thinking very hard on his words. As she begins to lead you across the emerald field to the other buildings of the estate, she remains silent, but at one point, when there are few others around, she casually glances up at Zyrr and Shep. "I apologize if this is forward of me, but I am curious. What will you do if the Fey go to war?"

Haberdashery
2011-11-20, 12:13 PM
There was a weighty pause before the Shepherd spoke, chewing on his thoughts.

"I cannot speak for my dark friend here, but it seems to me that my other companions already have a side they have chosen, whether they know it yet or not. For myself..." And here the Shepherd looked up at the sky, the stretch of unending canvas painted with ethereal wisps of clouds, "I don't know. The mountain weathers conflict and tumult, taking neither side, standing tall and resolute in the face of growing chaos. And when all has been bashed and battered and bloodied, the mountain remains. Perhaps the mountain is wiser than all of them." The Shepherd pauses, a slight frown on his face. "Or perhaps the mountain never had anyone it cared about."

The Shepherd waved the thought away with the back of his hand. "But I wonder, where does this conflict put you? I am afraid I do not know the politics of the fey even slightly. Are you not a spring fey? I think that's what the Printempest family is..."

Mando Knight
2011-11-20, 04:12 PM
"That's good to hear. I was hoping to get here in time to have a little get-together. I wouldn't want to represent the family unprepared, after all."

Hzurr
2011-11-20, 06:58 PM
DM Post

------- Shep & Zyrr ---------

Selene's eyes flash, and you hear her voice drop its meek tone. She looks directly at you sounding anything but subservient. "A Mountain may whether the storms, but at what cost? The Spring rains will erode its face. The Summer lightning storms can destroy its trees and set fire to the grass on its face. The Winter Snows can rise so high that the mountain is never visible. The mountain may endure, but is it willing to pay the price?"

As soon as the words are out of her mouth, she calms, and her eyes drop. "I'm very sorry, good sirs. It is not my place to judge your reasons. I am merely a servant to the Printempest house, and whatever their choices I will abide by them."

--------- Aramil --------------

Azula and Aramil make their way to the center of the Printempest manor, towards the quarters of Aramil's father. Before the enter, Azula stops and looks Aramil in the eye. "Cousin, before we begin these preparations, I would like to know where you stand. Your father is furious at the poisoning he suffered, and will not back away from a confrontation with the Winter Fey."

She pauses, and glances around, before motioning Aramil to sit at a nearby bench. Azula adjusts her long gown, before taking a seat next to him, and speaks in a rushed whisper. "Lord Oran is still ill, possibly beyond any recovery, and the Green Court is now under the command of the Selephra, whose views on mortals are much too similar to the Prince of Frost's for my comfort. Stobhan will not act unless the Winter Courts invade his Oceans, and Sehanine only knows how the Gloaming will split over this."

Azula's grip tightens on Aramil's arm. "If the Winter Courts have completely rallied behind the Pale Prince, that means the only Archfey who can stand against him is Tiandra herself, and I don't know if we can count on her to oppose her own son." She glances around again, before leaning close. "Quite honestly, if it comes down to war, I don't think we can win. With your sister married into the Winter Courts, we are in a perfect place to choose our side in this matter. You must convince your father not to go ahead with this plan to ignite a war that I do not think we can win."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-20, 09:19 PM
(OOC: Wait, if we're going *down* the waterfall, and took several hours to get to it, how did we see it or anything on it?)

Eltain's breath, disturbingly enough, neither fogs nor freezes as the group descends the stairs. He listens politely to the Satyr's playing.

"No, thank you. I've little talent for instruments. I'm a vocalist, alas." He spreads his hands in a 'what can you do' gesture.

"We've come from Sigil, and the closest gate was near the top. My companions are unused to the Winter Lands, so we chose the closest portal available." He shifts uncomfortably, unsure what the Satyr's intent is.

(Further OOC: I have no idea how to approach this because I don't know if it's supposed to be some kind of 'do this right or get in trouble' trap thing or random fluff to kill time. If ya'll want to get into it, go ahead, but I'm just going to leave it be until we fast forward to getting where we're going.)

dariathalon
2011-11-20, 09:42 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick listens appreciatively to the satyr's playing and then Lucan's. "It is quite lovely, and I would love to give it a try. I love to play, you see." He pats the small flute that is tucked into his belt. "Though I must admit, I've never seen an instrument as unique as this one. However, I can see that Lucan is having trouble reaching the appropriate holes to cover. My much smaller fingers are certainly not built for an instrument of this size."

Hzurr
2011-11-20, 10:11 PM
DM Post

----------- Eltain, Pavick, & Lucan -----------------

The Satyr's ears droop slightly, and the decline of Eltain and Pavick. "Ah, well, suit yourself. At the very least, I'm glad to hear you're both music lovers." He looks admiringly at Pavick's flute, almost leering. After a moment, he snaps out of it. "Well, if you're headed down into the city, it's just a couple hundred cubits down."

He shakes Lucan's hand, and waves to you as you continue on your path, but as you round the bend he gives one last look at Pavick's flute. A few minutes later, you hear the air-pipes begin playing once more, as the Satyr resumes his music.

Eventually, the staircase makes a sudden turn into the ice, where a large archway has been carved, and you find yourself on the outside of the waterfall at the gates to Celanthir. From here, you can see out into the entire valley below; where the frozen river stretches on for miles until it finally disappears around another large mountain. The gates, ice-covered-steel shaped like a woman's hand, swing open as you draw near, making it look like the hand is beckoning you inside. A pair of huge polar bears flank either side of the gate, and they stare at you as you enter, but make no effort to prevent you from entering.

As you cross the threshhold into the city, it seems fairly quiet. Snow is falling lightly, but here and there you can see eladrin, pixies, satyrs, naiad and sprites going about their business. You seem to be on the middle level, amidst the shops. The current platform you're on is only 15 feet to a side, but a number of large ice bridges connect it to other platforms frozen to the waterfall. A few platforms away, you can see a large, exquisitly carved staircase leading to the upper levels, and a number of smaller staircases leading to the houses below.

OOC: You can head to the upper levels if you want to go to Certhiel's place or any of the temples. There are inns on this level, or you can also try and find lodgings with one of the residents on the lower tier of the city.

Mando Knight
2011-11-20, 10:28 PM
Aramil looks toward the door to his father's quarters. "Father may have cast aside subtlety, but I cannot abandon his cause. I will see if I can dissuade him from engaging us in open war, but the Prince of Frost has overstepped his bounds by far. If we do not stand against his injustices, who will?"

He turns to look directly at Azula. "And you... you're one of the last I would have suspected to ask this. Has something changed since I last left?"

Hzurr
2011-11-20, 10:37 PM
DM Post

---------- Aramil ---------

Azula sighs. "No, nothing has changed. I'm simply trying to be level headed. I know that isn't common among the faerie, but some of us do try."

She looks down for a long moment, before again meeting Aramil's gaze. "You will speak for the family. Whatever choice you make, I will abide by it. I simply want to make you aware of all the options. The Spring Court hasn't even existed for two Millenia yet, and I don't want to see it destroyed if there's some way we can save everything our grandsires fought to create."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-20, 10:55 PM
"Let's go let Toveliss know we're here. Well, we'll probably have to let a servant know and then go find lodgings, but at least he'll know we've come," Eltain says, looking around. The nostalgia is nearly overwhelming. He plots a course through the noble district that will avoid the temples that presumably still dislike him, and leads the others through the city to Certhiel's palace.

Hzurr
2011-11-20, 11:57 PM
DM Post

--------- Eltain, Pavick & Lucan ----------

The ice bridges are surprisingly not as difficult to navigate across as you would have guessed, and you're able to navigate your way to the grand staircase itself without too much difficulty. Ascending it takes a few minutes (and seems a bit ironic, seeing as you had walked hundreds of steps to get below this level just minutes prior), and before long you find yourself passing the temples to Corellon annd the Raven Queen, and are standing before the entrance to the Sharma household. The door is emblazoned with the family crest, a perfect 6-pointed snowflake, with a pale blue flame at the center.

A pair of guards, step in front of you before you can enter, but Eltain's mark of Corellon upon his cheek seems to put them mildly at ease. Word is sent ahead, and after a few minutes, the door opens up and you find yourself standing in a foyer. The floor, like so many other things, is a thick layer of ice, but supporting the ceiling are large lavender-colored columns made of marble, polished and glistening. Icicles with an eternal flame cast inside serve as light, and are set up regularly around the edges of the room, and a large woven rug ahead of you provides some respite from the freezing floor. The combination of ice and polished stone makes the lights flicker and dance across the room, but you've only had a minute to examine it before another set of large double doors open at the far end.

Toveliss steps through them, followed a moment later by Limara. They are dressed similarly to each other, barring the thick fur-lined coat Limara has clutched about her, and Toveliss extends a hand in greeting. "Ah, Eltain, fantastic! I'd hoped you'd gotten my message. And you brought your friends! I trust all went well in Sigil?" He nods politely to Pavick and Lucan. Limara's reaction is a bit different, offering a polite nod to Eltain only, and a relatively warm smile for the gnome and the bard.

Toveliss motions for you all to follow. "Do come in, we were just about to sit down for dinner. Would you care to join us, or have you already eaten?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-21, 12:20 AM
Eltain smiles warmly at both Toveliss and Limara, grasping the former's hand in greeting.

"It's good to see you again. I have to admit I was rather surprised by your letter, but I'm glad you think highly enough of me to invite me to come. Indeed, our business was concluded successfully. And yes, these are my friends, Lucan Thoene and Pavick Roslow." He turns to Limara and extends his hand to her. "Aramil sends his regards. I hope you've been doing well here myself, I know the Winter Lands can seem, well, rather cold to those who aren't from them."

He nods at Toveliss' question. "We haven't eaten yet, no. Do forgive the imposition, I've been away for some time and gotten used to the customs of other lands where dinner is eaten earlier, I'd quite forgotten about the timing of it here."

Haberdashery
2011-11-21, 12:25 AM
"Is it indeed." The Shepherd nods his head, halting in the middle of the stone path that splits the green of the garden to lean on his staff. "You speak wisdom. But I would answer your question with another question. Where does the mountain end, and that which grows atop the mountain begin? Is the mountain truly a part of that which sits atop it, that uses its face and its strong surface, or is the mountain simply the mountain, the bone and sinew of the world itself? When that blanket dies, does the mountain care, or does the mountain shrug?"

The Shepherd tilted his head, a sigh of a smile on his face.

"I have asked too many questions. I believe I can put it plainly, however. Is there truly a price for the mountain at all?" His stony fingers flex atop the head of his curved staff, gentleness in each smooth movement. "The mountain is admirable for its persistence, and its resilience, but the mountain is cold. It is unliving--not dead, for it was never alive to begin with. It is simply cold stone, unmoving, uncaring, and unwavering. Therefore I wonder if the mountain truly should be emulated at all."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-21, 08:32 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Dinner sounds good," Lucan says. "I'm getting kind of hungry."

Hzurr
2011-11-21, 02:48 PM
DM Post

-------- Aramil ---------

The door to Lord Printempest's chamber opens, and Aramil's father steps out, speaking with his servant Iain. -crecy; only choose people you trust absolutely for all ration deliveries." He stops, seeing Aramil, and the older Eladrin's face lights up. "Ah, Aramil! I hadn't realized you'd arrived! Come in, we've much to discuss before the other Lords arrive tomorrow."

He ushers in Aramil and Azula, and motions for you to sit around the large table with a map of the feywild spread out across it. He coughs into a folded handkerchief made of woven leaves, before beginning to speak. "Aramil, the mercenaries you hired have arrived and are being kept hidden in a near-by caverns. We've warded them and set up cold-iron circles to keep out any prying noses, so I don't think anyone from the Winter Courts are aware of them. The representatives from the Altshuler and Ressort families will arrive tomorrow, and we'll discuss strategy for the Court once they get here. The Ressorts have always hated the Winter Fey, so I doubt they'll be too much trouble, and Lady Elliane should be representing the Altshuler's and she owes me a favor, so if nothing else we can use that as leverage to persuade them to our side." The Sidhe Lord's rapid speaking is interrupted by a fit of coughing, and Lord Printempest has to take a step back to compose himself. Iain steps over to help him sit, but Aramil's father waves him away.

"Once we arrive at Senaliesse, our priority will be to meet with as many members of the other Courts to try and drum up support before we make our accusations in the Assembly. We should try and speak first once the Assembly is convened in case any binding treaties or agreements favorable to the Winter Court are made before our declaration of war, and cause us to lose allies in the fight." Lord Printempest stops to catch his breath, looking a bit pale. It's clear that he's still not entirely healthy, but his eyes are filled with anger as he lays out his plans.

Before he can begin speaking again, Azula raises a finger. "M'Lord, maybe you should see what your son has to say about all this?"

------------ Zyrr & Shep ---------------

Selene moves in, and begins arranging the sheets on the beds. "If you do not wish to emulate a mountain, than what do you wish to be?" she asks, politely, her attention focused on the bedding in front of her.

------------ Eltain, Pavick, & Lucan ---------------

Limara shakes Eltain's hand politely, and a nod of appreciation at word of Aramil's regards.

Toveliss places a hand on Lucan's shoulder with a laugh. "Well, that's something we can address. This way..." He leads you through the double doors into a sitting room, before turning and bringing you to a large, brightly lit dining area. Like much of the house, the dining room seems to be a combination of ice and polished marble. The table, however, appears to be a long, dark stormcloud in the middle of the room, hovering a few feet above the floor. There doesn't seem to be any supports for it, and glancing underneath you can see snow and rain falling from the bottom of the cloud, although none seems to be gathering on the floor. There's even an occasional lightning strike, although the thunderclap that accompanies them are more akin to the sound from a popping fire rather than the normal explosion from a lighting bolt.

Around the table, a number of small, white clouds float, and Toveliss takes a seat on one near the head, motioning the rest of you to do the same. As servants begin bringing in food (fairly typical feywild fare: Berries, fruit, salad, and honey), the door from the sitting room again opens, and Certhiel steps into the room. The air immediately drops a few degrees, but the Gaele of Winter smiles as she sees you all. "Ah, we have guests. How marvelous." Toveliss and Limara stand as Certhiel enters, and subtly motion for the rest of you to do the same. They sit back down as Certhiel takes her seat at the head of the table.

For a long while, Certhiel simply watches everyone, eying Eltain primarily. As you eat, Toveliss tries to keep the conversation flowing, but there is definitely a bit of tension in the room. As dessert is being served, Certhiel leans forward with that cold smile, speaking for the first time. "Now isn't this wonderful? Dining with family and friends; what could be more joyous? She leisurely takes a bite of her dessert before continuing. "Having my son and a new daughter-in-law here with me, I find that life is more full and meaningful." Her gaze shifts to Eltain. "There are few things more important than family, don't you agree, Eltain?" She smiles sweetly at the paladin, watching his reaction closely.

There's an awkward pause for a moment, when Limara hastily speaks before Eltain has a chance to respond. "Lucan, if I remember correctly, you were going back to Sigil to deal with some odd man who kept scrying on you. How did that go?" She smiles at the half-elf, and you get the distinct impression that she is trying to change the topic of conversation.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-21, 06:10 PM
Eltain gives a sad smile when Certhiel asks her question and looks quietly away, pain etched on his face as snow swirls quietly about him. He seems not to even hear Limara's attempt at changing the subject, and after a moment he speaks softly.

"I... Would not know, Lady Certhiel. I've never had a family. I don't even know who my parents are, or if they're alive, or if they ever even wanted me. When I've been around people who do have families, yes, they seem to care for their family more than anything in the world... I guess my companions are the closest thing I've got to a family, and they are very important to me..." He trails off sadly, and stares down at his dessert.

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-21, 06:15 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"What? Oh, the scrying. Yes, it turned out to be a friend of my father's. My father had gotten into some trouble, and there were some magic that affected me."

Haberdashery
2011-11-21, 07:12 PM
"I like how you entirely diverted the subject from yourself to me." The Shepherd said slyly; it was not every day that he found someone as cryptic and evasive as himself. He had to stoop to enter the dwelling's low entry way, and he then began to assist Selene in preparing the beds with his oddly dexterous fingers.

"We have established that neither of us is the mountain. So in that case, what exactly are you?"

Hzurr
2011-11-21, 07:29 PM
DM Post

---------- Eltain, Lucan, & Pavick ------------

Certhiel watches Eltain as he speaks, and you can see her eyes sparkling as she listens to the former-Paladin. "Never known a family? That is a shame." She tsks softly, her eyes never leaving Eltain's downcast face. Toveliss gives his mother a disapproving look, and opens his mouth as if to speak, but after a moment closes it again.

The Gaele leans forward, her elbows resting on the table. "And if you did find your family, how would you react? Would your loyalty to them be the same as it is to your new companions?"

Limara gives Lucan a frustrated look, before speaking up again, slightly louder. "So Pavick, I understand you've been made a Grandmaster back on the Prime Material. Which school of magic have you made your focus?"

Certhiel ignores Limara, and continues watching Eltain; while Toveliss' gaze shifts from his wife to his mother. He seems a bit confused at the moment.

------------- Shep and Zyrr -------------

Selene stands, still folding sheets and turns to look at the Shepherd. "What am I? I'm simply a Lady's servant. Nothing more." She gives Shep a smile, before turning and looking at Zyrr. "And what of you, Master Drow? I remember you being talkative. Are you a mountain, or are you something else as well?"

OOC: Feel free to give me an insight check if you wish.

dariathalon
2011-11-21, 08:15 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick licks a drop of honey from his finger tips, as he contemplates his answer. It didn't take a genius to see that Limara was desperately trying to change the subject while Lady Certhiel was simultaneously holding onto it like a dog with a bone. Whatever their motivations are, Pavick trusts Limara's much more than the Gaele's.

"Yes, I was. You obviously have kept in touch with things on the Prime. We are a small guild, but I am proud of the title." A wide smile forms on his face. "I consider myself a dabbler. Primarily I deal with illusions, charms, and teleportation magics, I suppose, but it is so hard to devote all of my time to just one field. There are too many interesting things to learn out there."

He turns to Eltain, hoping that by drawing him into Limara's conversation, he'll be able to shake Certhiel off her bone. "Eltain, I understand you've been working with Aramil," he turns to Lady Certhiel, and adds, "Limara's brother," for her benefit. He knew full well she would know who he was referring to, but wanted to try to draw her off track as well. "He's been helping you practice some of the arcane arts too, has he not? What sorts of spells have you been working on?"

Haberdashery
2011-11-21, 09:19 PM
"My dear," The Shepherd said, as he shook the blankets out over one of the beds, so that it laid perfect atop the underlying mattress, "The day I believe that will be the day I begin herding sheep."

Mando Knight
2011-11-21, 09:35 PM
"Our situation is precarious, as I understand it. While I agree that war may be our only option, we'll have to make sure we are not seen as the aggressors, since the Pale Prince has both numbers and millennia of political maneuvering at his side."

Hzurr
2011-11-21, 09:50 PM
DM Post

----------Aramil---------

Azula nods. "So the question is, how do we clearly paint the Winter Fey as the aggressors, and ourselves as the victims? Uncle's current position clearly helps us, but the only evidence we have is the word of one lowly member of the Winter Court. That may not be enough to sway those who are on the fence."

Toric
2011-11-21, 10:00 PM
Just before the trio activates the portal from Mythrassar, Zyrr blurts out "Hold a minute." before he straightens his tunic, tucks his knives away in his haversack, and, with a sigh, raises his hands up beside his head, palms forward. "....Proceed." He greets the guards with a smile and nothing more until things get established.

---

"Hmm...." The drow scratches his chin, deep in thought. "If he is the mountain, then I am the insect scurrying deep within the earth's embrace while the weather wars upon the surface. ...Or at least I was. Just recently I was dug up and placed among the blades of grass to defend myself from the likes of bats." He chuckles at how easily he's gotten wrapped up in the Shepherd's game. "Now that I'm here, I suppose I'll throw my lot in with the spring flowers. I've already been stirring up their soil after all, they might protect me from the bitter cold of a late frost."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-22, 04:52 AM
Eltain frowns, confused by both Certhiel's line of questioning and Limara's continuing attempts to disrupt it.

"I don't know. I suppose at this point it would depend on what kind of people they were, and whether or not they wanted anything to do with me. And I suppose it would take time. I'm loyal to my companions because we've been friends for a time now, and we've fought and lived together. It is hard to speak accurately of people you've never known; and I am obviously of the Winter fey, who have something of a reputation for being cold and harsh," he looks at Toveliss and smiles, "Undeserved though that may be." He pauses and frowns. "But I suppose that even winter can have its warmth and comforts, and I've seen first-hand that even spring can be cold and distant. People must be judged based on their own actions, not on where they come from or what relations they have or don't have to you." He looks at Limara meaningfully, frowning slightly. His treatment by her family and her own attitudes have not been lost on him.

At Pavick's question, he raises an eyebrow.

"Ahh, there you wizards go again. Everything is spells with you." He laughs. "Spells are only a small part of the beautiful tapestry of magic that Corellon has gifted to us. The magic I practice is based in intuition and improvisation, and uses little in the way of formal spells."

Hzurr
2011-11-22, 03:26 PM
DM Post

---------- Shep and Zyrr ------------

Selene looks at the Drow for a long moment. "How..." she searches for the appropriate word, "...metaphorical."

Clearing her throat, she moves to the door. "I believe your presence will be requested at the meeting of the Spring Lords tomorrow, master Drow." She looks at Shep. "And it may not be my place to say, but I believe they would have much to learn from your wisdom, should you wish to accompany him."

With that, she exits, leaving Shep and Zyrr alone.

----------- Eltain, Lucan, and Pavick ------------

Certhiel studies Eltain for a long minute, eyes half-closed, but never blinking, before she finally speaks, although to no one in particular. Well...isn't that interesting."

Toveliss seems a bit perplexed, but he does join in the conversation. "Ah, Aramil has been teaching you magic? I've heard that he's fairly talented." he gives a supportive smile to Limara, who isn't paying attention, but is instead staring at Certhiel. Er...at any rate," Toveliss resumes, realizing his wife isn't paying attention, "I agree that there are many facinating forms of magic. I was a complete disaster at learning even some of the basic wizard's spells, so I tip my hat to one who is skillful enough to earn such a title." He tips an imaginary hat in Pavick's direction. Turning to Eltain, his eyes light up. "Ah, but of course, you're a paladin of Corellon. Tomorrow, you should visit the temple here. It's absolutely splendid, I'm sure you'd enjoy it."

OOC: The rest of the meal will consist of mostly awkward smalltalk. Anything else you want to ask/mention before we move on?

Nai_Calus
2011-11-22, 05:55 PM
"I... Am quite familiar with it. I was raised there."

Hzurr
2011-11-22, 07:00 PM
DM Post

-----------Eltain, Pavick & Lucan-------------

Toveliss' eyebrows raise. "Really? What an odd coincidence. You must have been there while I was away for my studies. What are the odds of that?" he gives a chuckle, but quickly realizes that no one else is really laughing with him.

At the end of the table, Certhiel places her utensils on the table. "If you would all excuse me, I think I shall retire for the night." She stands, and begins gliding towards the door, snow falling in her wake. Reaching for the handle, she pauses, and turns back. "Eltain, would you walk with me for a moment?"

OOC: Assuming Eltain goes with her...

As the pair walk out the door, Limara watches suspiciously, before turning to Toveliss. "Husband, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak with Lucan and Pavick for a moment, alone." Toveliss begins to protest, but realizing that he has no real reason, he simply shrugs, and nods. He stands, gives Limara an affectionate squeeze on her shoulder and a polite nod to Lucan and Pavick, before exiting the chamber.

Once Toveliss is gone, Limara turns to the gnome and the bard, and begins speaking quickly. "Most of the palace is warded, so we should be safe to talk. Tell me, how is my brother? Do you know what my families plans are for the Court of Stars? Is there a plan to get me out of here?"

----------- Eltain ----------

Moving down the hallways of the house, Certhiel walks primarily in silence, studying the half-Eladrin next to her. After several long minutes of the soundless promenade, the Gaele finally speaks. "Tell me, Eltain....Do you have anything you wish to ask of me?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-22, 09:34 PM
Eltain frowns slightly. "Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing much about you or ever seeing you while I was growing up. Then again, they kept the trainees out of the main hall most of the time, we had our own areas; and there were a few years where I was at the arcane academy."

Eltain's first instinct is to refuse and in fact to possibly run away at Certhiel's invitation, but he can't think of a polite reason to refuse, or even an impolite one that isn't a direct insult, so he nods and rises to join her, shooting a look back at Lucan and Pavick that seems to say 'If I'm not back in half an hour send a search party'.

He walks quietly next to her, looking at her from time to time, trying to shake the strange feeling of familiarity he always has around her.

He pauses thoughtfully when she asks her question.

"Forgive me if this sounds forward or a bit insulting, but... Why did you want me here? When we ran into you in Mythrassar, according to Aramil you indirectly threatened me, and later at Aramil's family's place, well, you didn't move against us, but Aramil noted that you'd been rather, well, cold to him. And now suddenly Toveliss wants me to attend the Court of Stars with the Winter Court, and says that you supported the idea. I can't figure out what possible reason you'd have for suddenly wanting me here. It's not like I'm some sort of noble or influential figure, I'm merely a servant of Corellon of no known lineage. I don't know who my parents are or if they're even alive. So... Why the sudden interest in me?"

Mando Knight
2011-11-22, 10:07 PM
"Well, we'll obviously need more information. What has happened to the beholder's farm since we raided it? Is it possible to produce more of the antidote? Can we get any physical proof from within the Winter realms themselves? How do the other courts lean, do we have any sympathetic Archfey? Also, with Limara in the Winter lands, perhaps we should probe to see if we can fracture the Prince's own court."

Aramil frowns. "But as to the psychological aspect, well, we all know that I was trained more for combat and strategy than politics. I do not believe I am suited to the task of politically outmaneuvering an Archfey."

Toric
2011-11-22, 11:20 PM
Zyrr turns to the Shepherd after the servant departs. "Which leaves us an evening, I suppose. We could go have a night on the town, or..... play checkers."

He twirls a gold coin in his hand as he waits for a response. "Such a tough decision, I know."

dariathalon
2011-11-22, 11:36 PM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick smiles and waves to Toveliss as he leaves. Then he leans in to speak with Limara. "Aramil is fine. I believe the stress of this whole situation is weighing heavily on him, but I think that is the case for most of us."

He glances around the room, making sure that they are truly alone before continuing. "Your family is preparing for the Court of Stars, but more importantly, they are preparing for what they believe will happen after the Court. After the recent attempt on your father's life... they expect that peace in the feywilds will not last for much longer. I think they are looking at the Court as a last opportunity for the factions to determine where their loyalties will lie."

"It appears you have been treated well here. Is that really the case? I don't know what plans have been made for you later. I assume that sort of thing is being ironed out in the time we have left before the Court."

Haberdashery
2011-11-23, 12:39 AM
The goliath stared down at the drow for a very long time, unblinking, and showing no emotion whatsoever. The statue he had become broke suddenly, as he pointed one long, graceful gray arm out the window of the bedroom towards a misty mountain peak that crested against the horizon.

"I bet I can get to the top of that mountain before you can."

Toric
2011-11-23, 01:28 AM
Zyrr squints his violet eyes as he stares up the mountain. Racing a goliath goatherder who seems to be one with the very mountain he will be climbing, when he himself is much more used to climbing stalactites. The odds are incalculable. Victory is impossible. Humiliation and death are likely, in that order.

That's never stopped him before.

He turns back to the Shepherd and extends a dark hand, his half of the impromptue starting signal of this improvized race. "Challenge accepted."

Hzurr
2011-11-23, 02:50 AM
DM Post

----------- Eltain ------------

Certhiel gives a deep, throaty laugh "Threaten you? No, no, of course not. That was simply to keep the Printempest boy on his toes. You can't take everything he says so seriously. The Spring Fey are notoriously untrustworthy..." She smiles at Eltain, but the glint of malice never completely leaves her eye. "Toveliss was suggesting a list of possible alternates we could bring with us to the court, since some of the Winter Lords will be unable to attend, and when he mentioned your name, I thought this was a perfect time for us to meet face-to-face."

She pauses, and pulls a key from a small pocket in her cloak, and turns to face a narrow side door in the hallway. Inserting the key, she murmurs a pass-phrase as the door opens up. Inside is a small room, filled with a number of large wardrobes and chests, and Certhiel begins moving through the room, glancing inside of each wardrobe, searching for something.

"You see, you've become very powerful in your own right. I was there for what happened in Mythrassar, and I've heard stories of fighting Drow on the streets of Sigil, rescuing gnome slaves... You've become quite the hero. Naturally, I thought this to be a good time to meet with you, and see to it that you properly reflect your heritage." She pauses, thinking for a moment, before turning, and focusing on one of the tall armoires in the corner. "Ah, I think this is it. You see, Eltain, in spite of your past mistakes with some of the local temples, mistakes we've taken care of by the way, you have the potential to become a very valuable member of the Winter Court. In the uncertain times ahead, we simply want to be sure that we're supporting you, and that you in turn, will support us. Ah, here it is..."

From out of the back of the wardrobe, she pulls out a long cloak. As the light falls on it, it seems to swirl in shades of blue and white, and on the clasp is the Sharma family symbol: the six-pointed snowflake with the flame in the center. Eltain's magical training tells him immediately that this cloak has a potent enchantment on it.

Certhiel smiles, "You've been away far too long. It's time to come back to the Winter Courts and realize your true potential. You need to embrace who you truly are, the son of one of the most powerful Sidhe families in the Winter Lands." She hands Eltain the cloak, and places her hand on his. "Your family wants you back..."

------------ Lucan & Pavick -----------

Limara stares at Pavick. "Wait, you aren't here to help get me out?" She curses loudly. "Then why did you come? The Winter Fey are dangerous, I thought that your coming was part of a plan!" She sighs in frustration, pinching the bridge of her nose in a way that's very reminiscent of Aramil. "I think my husband means well enough, but I am unsure. Certhiel is up to something, that I know. She's been far too curious about your activities, particularly how it relates to Eltain. I'm not sure why she wants him, but Eltain knows too much about our plans for us to let him get sucked into whatever Certhiel is planning."

Limara lowers her voice. "I think Certhiel has been gathering troops. I've seen a number of visitors appearing under all sorts of guises. Merchants, priests, travelers... But there's an air to a soldier that they can't hide, and I'm certain that they're building up forces, I just don't know where."

------------ Aramil -----------

Lord Printempest shakes his head. "We sent a squadron of house guards to the farm, but by the time they got their the entire thing had been burned to the ground. Not certain if it was the Fomorians, the Winter Fey, the Gnomes, or just the usual miscreants that wander through the Feydark." He pauses, thinking. "Would any of the gnomes you rescued know how to grow more of it?"

Azula nods. "That's worth looking into. As far as the rest of the Archfey, it's uncertain. The Summer Court have always been our allies, but the trick will be getting Tiandra to take a stand against her son. Without Oran, Selephra runs most of the Green Court, and I can see her in favor of any plan that put the mortal worlds under the rule of the Faerie. The other Green Archfey are difficult to predict. Hyrsam will likely try and stay out of any conflict, and Zebechial is no friend to the Winter Courts, but Selephra does have some influence over him."

She sighs, counting on her fingers. "The Court of Coral stays out of the affairs on land, but we may be able to sway them if battle lines are truly drawn. As for the Gloaming, I imagine the Maiden would oppose the Prince of Frost, but I can't speak for the Prince of Hearts or the Witch of Fates. Queen Mab has little love for Mortals, but if we can prove that they were responsible for Oran, we may be able to persuade her."

Azula shrugs. "That leaves the Baba Yaga, whose help I wouldn't accept even if she offered it; and the House of Flowers, who will side with whomever promises to help them in their crusade against the Drow." She purses her lips thoughtfully. "If you could communicate with Limara, where would you want her to focus her efforts?"

------------ Shep and Zyrr -----------

The mountain and the shadow disappear into the night, heading towards the distant peak. The race starts off much as a normal footrace through the fields, but soon the magic of the feywild begins filling your lungs, and you find each step you take covering more and more ground, and each leap through the air taking you further, and higher than you thought possible. Before long, you are miles from the Printempest estate, moving through the colossal trees and luminescent ferns like an arrow, while magical creatures watch you from within the darkness.

Eventually, you arrive at the foothills of the mountain, and ahead of you is a sheer cliff cut in half by a waterfall that reaches up almost out of sight into the heights above.

Do you :
a) Swim up the waterfall
b) Leap from tree to rock, and bound up the side of the cliff
c) Charm one of the creatures of the forest into taking you to the top
d) other

Nai_Calus
2011-11-23, 08:10 AM
Eltain suppresses a sneer as Certhiel tries to defame Aramil. He trusts Aramil far too much for his loyalty to be twisted that quickly. The annoyance quickly turns to stunned shock as Certhiel continues to speak. That she wants him to join the Winter Court is surprise enough. When she hands him the cloak, and speaks of his family, it all finally clicks into place with a shuddering crash like a thousand icicles falling to the ground at once. Of course Certhiel and Toveliss looked familiar. He saw a similar face every day, didn't he, every time he looked in a mirror. For a long moment he can't speak, simply staring at Certhiel as the realization washes over him.

"...You're... I should have realized..." He blinks twice, the air about him heavy with confusedly swirling snow. "You're my mother." He pauses for a moment, unable to fully comprehend all the implications and ramifications of this. Then the urges he's had all his life take over, and before he can stop himself, he's grabbed Certhiel in a tight hug, crying on her shoulder. For the moment he cares nothing for politics, or how evil she might seem, or how much he's disliked her in the past. All that matters is that he finally has an answer, and somewhere he can finally belong.

Mando Knight
2011-11-23, 02:07 PM
Aramil nods, looking to be in thought even as he speaks. "I don't know if the gnomes knew the full process. I believe the beholder likely took several of the secrets with him... though I have suspicions that the beholder wasn't acting alone, either... as to the other courts, we may be able to at least force the Flowers to remain neutral, as our activities have enraged Zyrr's mistresses and forced him to break free from them. We'll need to show he's trustworthy, however, as he's our poisons expert and probably the only one who can prove that Oran was poisoned. Even then, we'd need..."

He raises his head, his determined smirk hinting at the intent of the following question. "Had any of the Winter lords taken to such illness?"

Hzurr
2011-11-23, 05:43 PM
DM Post

---------- Eltain ----------

Certhiel is clearly taken aback by the hug, and just stands there, awkwardly for a moment as Eltain embraces her. She pats the former Paladin on the back, letting him cry for a minute before eventually speaking. "There, there, it's alright. Calm yourself before your face is frozen to my shoulder." She hands Eltain a small hankerchief, and motions to the already crystallizing tears in his eyes. She takes a step back to allow the Half-Eladrin to compose himself before speaking. "Yes, you're correct. I am your mother. Toveliss is your half-brother, although I haven't told him yet." She takes his chin in her hand, and examines him. "I'd forgotten how young you are..." she murmurs, half to herself. "Eltain, I thought it time you knew your past, because it's time to take your place among the Sidhe. We need strong leaders, and champions if we are ever to realize our potential and bring peace to the world. We want you to be a part of it..."

------------ Aramil -----------

Lord Printempest shakes his head. "I doubt we can both show outselves as enemies of the Drow while calling one of them to give evidence. If we call on Zyrr to give testimony, the Flowers will not side with us. We may convince them to remain neutral, at best. If we do call Zyrr, it will have to be under the constraints of an unbreakable oath. Nothing he says will be even considered without it. Do you think he would consent to that? I know some Drow struggle with...openness."

Azula mirrors Aramil's smirk. "As of yet, no. Only the Green, ourselves, and a few of the minor Summer Lords. I'm unsure about the Gloaming, but none of my reports indicate illnesses among the Winter Courts. That could lend us some credence."

Aramil's cousin shrugs. "That could be enough to get others to start asking questions. There may be evidence that the other Courts could provide, but I fear we will not know for certain until we arrive at the Court of Stars itself."

OOC: Anything else Aramil wants to bring up, or will he take a break for a bit?

Mando Knight
2011-11-23, 07:30 PM
"I'll ask him. As for contacting Limara, I don't know what she has available at her end, other than my companions... I think we'll have to rely on her discretion as to what she can subvert."

Toric
2011-11-23, 08:10 PM
((I love this idea by the way.))

When Zyrr reaches the waterfall, he hesitates, hanging back in the shadows. An idea quickly forms, and is initiated by him sprinting forward and plopping unceremoniously into pool at the shower's base. A few seconds pass, then a flustered hamadryad surfaces, shaking the water out of her long auburn hair as she scowls up. "You fool of a satyr! You did that just to see me wet!" She flounders toward a vine growing up the cliffside, her scowl changing to a playful grin as she shouts a halfhearted threat up the cliff. "I swear, I'll use your chin hairs as a paintbrush!" More quietly, seemingly to herself, she adds "If I ever get back up there."

Rolling [roll0], +23 due to the +5 bonus from the Hat of Disguise to pass as another creature. If another roll is needed for the vine, [roll1].

Haberdashery
2011-11-23, 08:16 PM
Even in a place as strange as the Feywild, certain things remained constant. The Shepherd was born leaping up the sides of mountains--even a fey mountain proved no different to the tall hermit. Dodging spray and splash, he jumped between the beads of water themselves, bounding effortlessly between rock and sheer cliff wall to the very top of the waterfall in one single ricocheting jump. Not a single droplet of water had touched him.

Athletics: [roll0]
Athletics: [roll1]

Nai_Calus
2011-11-23, 10:08 PM
Eltain dries his eyes and snows happily. His mother, at long last. And Toveliss was his brother! Well, half-brother, but still! He nods at her words.

"There is nothing I want more than peace amongst the fey. Corellon wants us to create and protect beauty, and what could be more beautiful than that? Of course I'll help work towards that." He smiles at her and puts the cloak on. "I'll do my best to help keep things peaceful, and prevent agression between the courts."

(OOC: Eltain is rather specifically not mentioning anything about the Winter Court in particular. He doesn't want a war. People he cares about might get hurt or killed, and think of all the innocent people who would be hurt or killed. Of course, that puts him at odds with the Spring Court...)

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-23, 11:03 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Well, we weren't told about your situation when we came here," Lucan says. "But Lena thought we should come, so maybe we're supposed to help." He gestures to his familiar, who's circling his head.

Hzurr
2011-11-24, 01:55 AM
DM Post

----------- Eltain --------------

Certhiel nods. "I agree completely, Corellon wants us to create and maintain beauty in all that we do." She walks out the door to a nearby window, and looks out over the city frozen in the waterfall and the snow filled valley below. "That being said, have you ever seen anything more beautiful than this? While mortals destroy their world and fill it with grief and torment, we strive to make the land pure and beautiful. Yet there will always be some who are too shortsighted to see that."

She turns, and smiles again, that same cold smile you've seen before. "But that is enough for tonight. We'll speak more of this in the coming days."

OOC: Assuming Eltain has no further questions for her, she'll leave. Also, stats:
Cloak of the Winter Lords

Level 15+ Rare
Thick frost coalesces beneath the hem of this white-and-blue garment. The golden clasp is emblazoned with the Sharma family insignia.

Lvl 15 +3 25,000 gp
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property: Gain ice walk.
Property: Gain resist 5 cold per tier, or increase existing cold resistance by 5 per tier
Property: Enemies gain a +5 bonus to Perception checks made to track you.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, you leave a trail of ice wherever you walk. Anytime you move (not shift) with a move action, every square you occupy becomes frozen. A frozen square is considered difficult terrain for any creature without the icewalking ability. Liquids are similarly frozen, allowing you to create bridges of ice across such terrain. If you have a fly speed and begin and end your turn on the ground, you can make an ice bridge through the air. Your frozen footsteps have 20 hit points, cold immunity, and vulnerability 5 to fire and thunder damage.
- Level 20: 25 hit points.
- Level 25: 30 hit points.
- Level 30: 35 hit points.
You also gain an aura 5+1/2 your Charisma modifier. Within this aura, your allies gain the ice walk ability, as well as the cold resistance property of the cloak.
Power (Weekly): Standard Action. Summon a snowstorm anywhere within 100 miles. That location experiences anything between a light snowfall up to an extreme blizzard. You can summon freezing temperatures, mild to extreme winds, and light to massive snowfall for up to 24 hours. Wiki link here (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/five-fey-and-a-rock/items/cloak-of-the-winter-lords)

------------- Aramil --------------

Azula gives a coy half-smile. "I may be able to get a message to her. Is there anything in particular you wish me to communicate?"

------------- Lucan & Pavick -------------

Limara turns, and pays attention to the familiar for the first time. A cautious smile spreads across her lips. "Lucan, who made a pact with you to give you this familiar?"

------------ Zyrr and Shep ----------------

As the Shepherd leaps up the side of the cliff, spinning and whirling between water droplets, completely at one with the natural world around him, he's surprised to see a grinning hamadryad pass him, being raised to the top of the waterfall by a series of vines that are hauling the tree-creature to the edge of the cliff above. There's something very familiar about that hamadryad's smile....

At the top, the two take off again, dashing through the hills faster than anyone would have believed possible. The drow has a slight lead on the Shepherd, but even the tiniest slip-up could change that lead in less than a heartbeat. Bounding over the top of a foothill, the pair see in front of them a dense forest, with trees so close together you doubt a halfling could slip between them. The forest floor is filled with thick brambles, and deep within the woods you see the glittering eyes of fey that watch you, and a low growl emerges from within...

Do you...
a) Jump to the highest point of the trees, and run across the treetops
b) Draw out the fey-beasts inside, and have them carry you through this unassailable forest
c) Command the trees to step aside and let you pass through
d) other...

Haberdashery
2011-11-24, 12:00 PM
The Shepherd was a monk. And Great Goat in the Sky help him, if a monk never jumped to the top of a tree in pseudo-flight and ran effortlessly across the tips of the treetops, he frankly could not call himself a monk more than a sheep with a bad hair day could call himself a goat. Whether there was a better, more opportune, or even faster method, this was something the Shepherd was made to do, it was his calling. The sky took him, swooped him up and carried him away; the monk's sandals only barely touched the very tips of the trees as he began to run, his arms trailing gracefully behind him. The Shepherd's step was so light that the trees took no notice of his flight across them.

Athletics: [roll0] To jump to the top.
Athletics: [roll1]

Acrobatics: [roll2] To balance across the treetops as he runs.

Mando Knight
2011-11-24, 12:15 PM
Aramil pauses, his gaze distant. "...Yeah. Warn her that she should be careful with Eltain's emotions, and remind her that I'll find a way to protect her."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-24, 03:17 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Selene gave her to me," Lucan says. "Lena looks just like her, doesn't she?"

Toric
2011-11-24, 08:39 PM
Don't look back don't look back don't look back! the hamadryad thinks as she sprints forward, changing back to a drow only after the waterfall is long behind. As the last of the brown leaves his silver hair, Zyrr risks a glance behind him... and sees the Shepherd slowly gaining on him. Setting his eyes forward resolutely, he runs through a mental inventory of the items on his person. His mind zeroed out three small star-shaped crystals, two cracked nearly to pieces. The Astral Tangle had been tough on his blastpatches, but one managed to survive. Zyrr pulls the remaining crystal from his belt pouch, but hesitates in throwing it. This is a friendly race, aren't there rules? The only rules are that you use every skill you have to win, and that includes alchemy. he argues to himself even as he rounds a boulder. Before he can choose one way or another, however, his decision is made for him; an exposed root catches his foot at the toe, causing him to stumble forward and bang his fist on its parent tree. Zyrr recovers quickly and resumes his sprint, but the crystal is now an impotent cluster of fragments in his hand. Eltain, he thinks as he sprints on, If I can prove that was the work of your god, you and I will have words.

When he reaches the thick tree cluster, Zyrr smiles. What the Astral Tangle took from him in materials, it gave him in experience; this is the tree-hopping all over again, but without the lethal barbs and venomous insects. The drow confidently climbs from branch to thick branch... but the smile is wiped off his face when a grey rocket nearly blows him off his handholds as it passes him on its way to the top. The Shepherd. Zyrr climbs with renewed vigor, vaults onto the canopy, and chases hard, gliding across the treetops like a bird of prey.

[roll0] and [roll1]

Nai_Calus
2011-11-25, 02:13 AM
Eltain looks over the city.

"It is beautiful..." He refrains from noting that he has, in fact, seen far more beautiful things, but he doesn't know if Certhiel would truly understand that beauty was in far more than just scenery. Perhaps he can make her see. She's almost surely trying to use him for something, but perhaps he can use her back. She is his mother, after all, and how could he ever again begin to call himself a Paladin if he didn't at least try to help his own family see the truth? He nods at her last words.

"Indeed. There's still so much I want to know, and so much I have to tell you. Goodnight... Mother." He grins. His mother. Maybe he couldn't save her, maybe he couldn't stop the war brewing, but he could certainly try. Even if he failed, he could at least hold it in his heart through the cold, dark times to come that he had tried. And maybe she truly did want him after all. He watches her leave and then runs back to find the others. His mind is confused, but his heart is full of hope.

Hzurr
2011-11-25, 02:35 PM
DM Post

-------- Shep and Zyrr ----------

Approaching the thick tangle of branches in front of him, the Shepherd leaps to the first tree in a single bound, before running across the foliage, so swift-footed that a single leaf could serve as a stepping stone. Behind him, the dark elf quickly shimmies up a tree, and takes off after the Shepherd, gaining on the rocky blur in front of him. The two figures dash across the treetops, two running figures silhouetted by the bright moon of the Feywild.

Above them, the mountain peak looms. Each step draws the Drow and the Goliath closer to their goal, and from all around, the spirits and creatures of the feywild watch in wonder as the two draw nearer to their epic goal.

Suddenly, just as the pair are step-in-step and rapidly approaching the finish, Zyrr smacks into what feels like a wall of solid steel, and the Drow goes down, convulsions shaking his body, leaving him so weak that even the simplest of movements cause pain to shoot through his entire body. A pillar of violet fire shoots into the air, lighting up the area like a beacon. Around you, starting to close in, the Shepherd can see Eladrin materializing in the air, swords drawn and the House of Flowers symbol emblazoned across their breastplates

-------- Pavick and Lucan ----------

A grin spreads across Limara's face. "Now that, is truly excellent news." She pauses, thinking for the correct words. "Some Fey, when they allow part of their spirit to be taken as a familiar for a student of magic, have the ability to...communicate, through that familiar. If "Lena" told you to come, then my guess is she received the instructions to do so from Selena, which means we may be able to communicate with my family."

As she's explaining this, Lena very purposely avoids making eye-contact with Lucan. The small fairy actually looks a bit embarrassed.

Limara leans close to Pavick and Lucan. "If we can find evidence that the Winter Fey are building up soldiers, we can use Lena to get that information to Aramil for use against the Winter Courts." The air around the Spring Fey warms, as she speaks, excitement sparking in her eyes as she looks at the Gnome and the Half-Elf. "How do the two of you feel about some espionage?"

+Eltain

The door to the dining room opens, and Limara turns in her chair as Eltain enters. As the half-eladrin strides over to the storm-table where his companions and Limara wait, the Spring Fey looks at the cloak around his shoulders, and the clasp on the front. She purses her lips, thinking, neither approval nor disapproval showing on her face. "So...is it true?"

--------------- Aramil -------------

Azula gives a smile. "I may be able to arrange that.". Before she can speak again, a light catches your eye. Looking out the window, you see a pillar of purple fire glowing on the distant peak of Mount Aybarra. Lord Printempest frowns for a moment, before asking Aramil in a flat voice "Ah...do you know where Zyrr is?"

OOC: Aramil would know that the mountain marks the border of the lands belonging to the House of Flowers (http://wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/386/386_CD_Corellon.pdf).

Mando Knight
2011-11-25, 03:58 PM
Aramil looks, and frowns. "I would hope he didn't decide to go for a stroll in the mountains, which is unfortunately all too likely if he was left alone with Shep. Blasted Flowers..."

He folds his arms, trying to figure out how to save his... Pawn? Ally? Friend? Prized expert opinion? ...and his head snaps back up to look at his father again after a moment of thought. "How fast can we get a wing of griffons over there? If they're close enough to our side of the border, I might be able to protect Zyrr without appearing to betray the Flowers."

Hzurr
2011-11-25, 04:31 PM
DM Post

Lord Printempest nods, "They can get there quickly, and we always keep a few saddled at all times, but it will take a few minutes to get the riders ready." He glances out the window again, and curses. "Aramil, you need to get that Drow back, now. There should be at least one lead griffon for you to ride, and two you can take with you. Do you remember the commands for directing un-piloted griffons? If you can get close enough to the border, you can send the other two across to collect your companions."

Mando Knight
2011-11-25, 05:58 PM
Aramil shakes his head, as he starts to walk to the door. "It's been too long, I'll need a refresher. Unless they understand plain speech better than I recall."

Nai_Calus
2011-11-25, 11:04 PM
Eltain ***** his head to the side, starts to ask Limara what she means, then it hits him.

"You knew? Or suspected, I guess... I suppose I should have had suspicions myself." He sighs.

"Yes, it's true. She just told me. She's my mother..." He flops on one of the clouds around the table, his shoulders slumped and snow swirling about him.

"And I suppose you didn't tell me because you don't trust me. I know your family doesn't like or trust me, it was painfully obvious while I was staying there. I thought it was because I was half-human, though... Well, it probably still is. I'm not a 'real' Eladrin, after all. And I'm the son of a high-ranking Winter noble. Obviously I'm a horrible person." His voice is thick with sarcasm.

"Look. I hate the Prince of Frost. I'm not going to suddenly swear my undying loyalty to him just because I found out that Certhiel is my mother. I'm not even going to swear my undying loyalty to her. I serve Corellon. My loyalty lies with him first, and my companions second." He sighs.

"She didn't want me until now, and she already basically said why she finally bothered to care. I've got enough a reputation and enough personal power now to be useful. I mean, gods, yes. I hope that's not the only reason. I hope she actually does want me in her life at least partially because I am her son, but I know better. If she'd really wanted me that much she could have passed me off as a servant's get and had me raised here. Instead she abandoned me entirely and left me to be raised at the Corellite temple here. Although that may have been the nicest thing she'll ever do for me, considering." He frowns. "Well, it's a well-known topic of discussion around here that she didn't use to be as, well, cold as she is now. From what I've heard she used to like mortals. I don't know what changed. Maybe something happened with my father, she didn't mention him at all, and obviously he was human. I don't know."

He looks up at Limara.

"And I do like Toveliss. And, well, he's my half-brother. Just... I know you can't trust him yet, but let's both work to try to help him. Figure out if he's actually in on any of this or not, and if he is, get him out of it, and if he's not, make sure he stays out of it and protected from it. And maybe we can try to change Certhiel's mind too..." He holds up a hand to stifle the inevitable protest. "I know, I know. It's crazy. But I'm at heart a hopeful person. And if we can somehow get her to change her mind about her stance, she could be a powerful ally to help apply internal pressure on the Winter Court." He bites his lip. "And, well, I have to admit I do want to have a family..."

"Anyway, she wants me to join the Winter Court. Maybe if I do I can help with exposing what's going on. They aren't going to trust me either since I have ties to your family through Aramil, but maybe I can get some kind of evidence." He frowns.

"But I beg you. Don't pursue a war unless there's no other hope. If there's any way of resolving this diplomatically without bloodshed... I don't want to see the fey war against each other. We are all Corellon's children, and we're so much stronger when we work together. If there's any hope at all for peace, let's all try to pursue it with all our hearts. A war would be disastrous. So much senseless bloodshed, all the fey would be weakened, it would leave openings for the Formorians and Drow to make moves..." He stands and paces. "I know there's not much I can do. I don't have any real allies outside of of my companions, and if I do go along with what Certhiel wants it'll be an insanely dangerous situation... But I have to try. If I can help my family, I want to." He sighs. "I'm sorry, by the way, Lucan. I understand now why you were so eager to try to learn more about your father... I really treated you badly back then. Please forgive me for that." He bangs his fist into his palm. "And if there's any chance of peace, I have to try for it."

Haberdashery
2011-11-25, 11:26 PM
In mid sprint, the Shepherd whirled, his cloak fluttering behind him on the ridge; he vaulted backwards, spinning heel over head in a perfectly calculated arc of motion. His crook was in his hand, a long thick hunting knife in the other, the exact moment his feet touched the ground beside his drow companion. The world was still for just a moment, a moment where the Shepherd cast his dark eyes about the assembled eladrin knights.

"My friend," The Shepherd spoke, his back the drow, "It seems your reputation precedes you again."

Shep crossed the cook and the dagger before him, shaking his great bearded head so that the wind caught the long wisp of hair in its gentle embrace. "You want the drow?" He gestured with the fingers that enclosed his dagger hand. "Come get him."

Toric
2011-11-26, 12:11 AM
He's winning. Zyrr's running as fast as his legs can take him. Every two of his quick steps met by one of the Shepherd's long strides, but he's keeping pace and he has some energy stored for the home stretch. He's going to win, fair and square, with none of the underhanded tricks expected in the races of his youth, the wind whipping his ivory hair and bringing tears to his violet eyes - and then he's on the ground feeling an agony comparable to some of his most potent poisons. He sees eladrin appear from the foliage with their baleful gazes fixed on him - friends of Aveeno, he can only assume - and the Shepherd take his place as Zyrr's protector.

"I'll have to-" He hesitates and clenches his face in pain. Okay, hard T's only end in misery. As he continues, he tries his hand at standing back up, drawing a hidden dagger despite the torment his arm suffers for it. "st- cease this habit of needing rescue whenever I'm here. I feel like a storybook damsel."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-26, 12:41 AM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan tries--he really tries--to take in all that Eltain's saying. But it's a lot, and he ends up fixated on the one fact he really manages to latch onto. "Wait. Certhiel's your mother?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-26, 01:14 AM
http://www.iankunx.net/elrond_facepalm2.jpg

"...Yes, Lucan."

Hzurr
2011-11-26, 12:52 PM
DM Post

----------- Aramil --------------

As Lord Printempest and Aramil make their way down the stairs and to the stables, Aramil gets a quick crash course on the basics of Griffon flight. It's been almost 20 years since the last time he lead a Pride of Griffons, but as his father speaks, the information begins to come back to him.

Moments later, the swordmage is in the saddle of the lead griffon, reigns in one hand and the long bridal ropes of two other griffons in the other. With a quick command of "Legat!", Aramil and the Griffons soar into the air, towards the peak of Mount Aybarra.

---------- Zyrr and Shep ----------

As Zyrr stands, the pain ebbs slightly, but the Drow still feels a bit wobbly. The Eladrin slowly circle the pair, sizing up Shep and the weak, but still armed Zyrr. After a moment, one of the Eladrin with golden knots of rank tied onto his shoulderplate calls out to Shep, sword still drawn. "All Drow who cross our borders are forfeit to us, and all those who defend them are subject to the same fate. Step away from the filth, now. this is your only warning.

OOC: Feel free to narrate this encounter yourselves, You can fight, Aramil can show up at a dramatic moment, you can run....whatever you guys feel like.

Haberdashery
2011-11-26, 01:05 PM
"I'm sorry..." The Shepherd began slowly, "But I'm afraid I'm a little deaf. You musn't mumble so."

There was no negotiating with eladrin when it came to the drow. The Shepherd would argue that there was no negotiating with eladrin at all, but that was besides the point.

"As I said, if you want the drow, you'll just have to come get him."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-26, 04:51 PM
Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Um . . . Congratulations?" Lucan says. "And no problem about earlier. I totally understand why you didn't want to make a deal with devils, even to save my father. I still haven't had a chance to meet him, since you were in such a hurry to come here, but I'm not upset. I'm not sure I would have liked him much anyway."

dariathalon
2011-11-27, 04:29 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick moves over to Eltain, putting a comforting hand on his arm. "I don't know how I feel about all of this coming out. All of me is happy for you that you've finally found a family of your own. But part of me is upset that it had to be the woman that you've spent most of your life avoiding, and from the sound of things with good reason. And another part of me is suspicious about this whole revelation. If you don't mind my asking, what makes you so certain she is telling the truth? And even if she is why did she choose this moment to tell you? Certhiel doesn't strike me as a woman who does things without a well-considered reason."

He looks almost apologetic for bringing up the question, and moves back to his own seat. "I do agree with you. I would like to see this whole situation turn out peacefully if possible. However, I'm not nearly as optimistic; peace will be very difficult to achieve. Even if we do manage peace, there are some things within the Fey realms that must be changed. This Court of Stars holds an opportunity for a lot of good, but unfortunately I expect that opportunity to go bad."

Sorry, meant to post this morning, but forgot to. Then was out of town all day.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-27, 08:09 AM
Eltain chuckles at Lucan. "I'm not entirely sure congratulations are in order just yet, but thanks." He smiles. "Don't worry, you'll get to see him. And maybe you will like him. Who knows?" He grips Lucan's shoulder reassuringly and nods at Pavick's words.

"Yeah, exactly. The timing is suspicious. It's not even a question of if she's trying to use me. She's already tried to undermine my relationship with Aramil and paint the Spring fey as untrustworthy, and that was even before she told me she was my mother." He sighs.

"As for why I think she's telling the truth... I don't know how to really put it in words. I knew what she was saying before she actually said it. Just... Little things, all my life. Usually it's only nobles and their children who really do things like snowing like I do, especially to the extent I do. I used to get teased when I was little that I was some noble's bastard. And every time I've ever seen Certhiel, every time I've seen Toveliss since I met him... They've always been so familiar. Like something just felt normal and right about them, even when I was afraid that Certhiel was going to drag me back here to face justice for my crimes. As soon as it came out it just... Made so much sense." He trails off. "Even then, it's still obvious she's not entirely on the level. But I still hope that she does love me at least a little. I still hope we can change her mind."

He frowns. "I know it's more likely that this situation will all turn badly. But I have to try. I have to have hope. Even if there isn't any hope in the end, it's better to try and fail than not to try at all. And the Winter Fey aren't like Devils are. They're not incarnations of evil, they're just... People. Proud, even arrogant, often bigoted people, but they are people. People can be reasoned with, can be talked to, can be shown that there is a different way. All too often they still end at each other's throats, but... I still have hope. I still believe there's a chance." He smiles warmly.

Hzurr
2011-11-28, 01:35 AM
DM Post

------- Eltain, Pavick & Lucan -------

Limara watches this interaction, that familiar smile/smirk that so often crosses Aramil's face appearing on her own. After a long moment she finally speaks. "Eltain, you say I don't trust you. I admit, that was true, not as much because of you as it is because I didn't know how Certhiel was going to try and use you. I feel the same way about my husband." She stares towards the doors that Toveliss went through. "I believe he means well, but I can't be certain yet..." She trails off, thinking to herself, before returning to the present conversation.

"However, in this instance, I would say that our goals are completely aligned. I don't want my family involved in a war. Aramil would be given a command post, and I would prefer my brother to see old age." She gives a sigh "But the Winter Courts must answer for what they did to my father and the Green Fey. If they are unwilling to explain and make restitution for what they've done, I don't know what will happen." She stops, and looks directly at the Half-Eladrin. "You have shown that you are not going to simply be a pawn to be manipulated by the Winter Courts, family or no. That is not something I will forget.

She thinks for another moment before speaking again. "If Eltain joins the Winter Court, he'll be able to gather more information on what the Winter Fey are planning, and we can take appropriate steps to counteract it. Lucan, you're a musician, yes? Even in the Vale of the Long Night, bards are highly respected. If you could spend some time in the city, you can see if you can find out anything about troops or supplies that the Winter Fey may be storing." Her gaze shifts to Pavick. "I remember Aramil telling me about you going in undercover and fooling the followers of that Rex fellow that you were one of them. Do you think you could do that with the Winter Lords here? You're a wizard of no small skill, and if they are plotting anything big, I'm certain they'd be interested in acquiring as much talent as they can. You can pretend that you can get some of your fellow mages or gnomes or something like that would be interested in allying with them..."

She frowns, and looks down. "I apologize, I don't mean to be giving orders. Force of habit. You are not members of my house, so I have no grounds on which to ask your help, but I implore you. I don't have anyone else here I can turn to." She stops, clears her throat, and looks up. "What do you think we should do?" The words sounds a bit strange, as if she's not used to saying them.

----------- Aramil, Zyrr & Shep ---------------

OOC: I'm waiting a dramatic entrance by Aramil, or a stirring narration of events by Zyrr/Shep.

Mando Knight
2011-11-28, 03:11 PM
Aramil leads the griffons fast and low, barely above the treetops. Shortly before he reaches the flare, he swoops down into the forest and orders the riderless griffons to land and wait. Climbing back up, he finishes the path, and swoops down, landing between Shep and the Flower guards.

"Captain, it is good that you did not slay these interlopers before I arrived. Have you assumed that Lord Printempest's recent ailments mean our treaties are void? Even in matters dealing with the Drow, you know that you are to consult with House Printempest before taking direct action on this side of the mountains."

Toric
2011-11-28, 04:16 PM
Zyrr steps a bit closer to Shep, setting his back to the goliath so they won't be surrounded, warily eyeing the flower-folk. "And to be honest, by this point I'm tired trying to figure out why each individual person on this plane wants to kill me. So come get me, find the edge of my blade on your skin, and let's be done with this." Weariness seeps into his voice, both presumably from his point of having no shortage of hunters and from the unique sensation of having his vitality forcibly ripped away from him.

He's in the middle of planning his lead-off attack when he sees Aramil dive to the rescue on the back of a griffon. Will wonders never cease.

"I'm becoming more and more convinced your family is unique among Eladrin for its sanity." he breathes. "I take it you're familiar with these people?"

Hzurr
2011-11-28, 05:09 PM
DM Post

------------- Aramil, Zyrr, & Shep ----------

The Captain arches an eyebrow at the Shepherd's words. "Very well, if that's what you prefer." Yelling out an order to his companions, the squad of Eladrin begin closing in on the pair, blades drawn.

Suddenly, they take several steps back, as a Griffon interposes itself between the Eladrin and the Goliath in a flurry of feathers and claws. As Aramil speaks, the Captain narrows his eyes. "You're the Printempest boy, yes? I thought you'd been lost in the Prime for the last two decades..." He holds his hand up, and the soldiers under him begin standing down. "Naturally, we meant no offense. We abide by the treaties, but the filth stepped briefly across our borders and set off our wards. We didn't assume you would take issue with us stamping out a cockroach that ran in front of our path." As Zyrr speaks, the captain's gaze shifts to the Drow, then back to Aramil.

"Tell me, Printemest, are you in the habit of letting Corellon's Cursed run free on your lands? Has your family had a change of heart they thought not to share with the House of Flowers?"

Mando Knight
2011-11-28, 05:39 PM
"I'm sure any excitement surrounding my return was subdued by that of my sister's marriage. Nevertheless, I am here now. I can take care of these two myself... continue the border patrols, I doubt that they travel alone."

Hzurr
2011-11-28, 05:53 PM
DM Post

The Captain looks at you for a long moment. "You didn't answer my question." He steps forward, looking Aramil in the eye. "And what kind of neighbor would I be if I left you alone with a walking blight and...whatever that thing is." He looks at the Goliath curiously, before turning back to Aramil. "Why don't we escort you? We'll make certain that this creature is locked up safely in your dungeons, and I'm positive we can help you ensure that it doesn't escape again."

Mando Knight
2011-11-28, 06:56 PM
"Do you doubt me, Captain? I can handle these two myself. As for your questions, we are neither in the habit of letting the accursed run loose, and I suspect the family's recent actions may have provoked Lolth's wrath... I myself killed one of her spider-creatures within the last month. If she is angered, there may be more assassins coming through the same path as these, which was apparently hidden from the eyes of our aerial patrols. That is where I would appreciate your help, Captain."

Hzurr
2011-11-28, 06:58 PM
DM Post

OOC: Bluff check, if you please. (You'll have a circumstance bonus to this)

Hzurr
2011-11-28, 07:13 PM
DM Post

The captain studies Aramil for a moment, before exchanging a knowing glance with one of his lieutenants. "So, you wish help finding where the Drow are coming from? In that, I think we can oblige you." He points to Zyrr. "Let us take that one, and within a day we'll have it begging to give you all the information you could ever need." The Flowers captain arches an eyebrow. "Or do you have a problem with that?"

Nai_Calus
2011-11-28, 07:15 PM
Eltain nods, glad that Limara has softened towards him. She's family now too, after all.

"Actually, I think those are excellent ideas. The more we can find out, the better our chances of managing to get the people responsible brought to justice. You did say, Pavick, that you wanted to come here to try to forge good relationships with the Winter Court for when things really start going politically. And you're excellent at insinuating yourself if you choose to go down that path... And Bards are almost especially welcome here, when the Prince is in a bad mood the entirety of the Winter Lands feels it, and things can get quite dreary, even for those of us born to these lands of ice and snow. Just be careful if you do start casting about for information, Lucan. Listen to any advice Lena gives you. Most fey aren't actually cruel or out to cause mortals trouble, but they also don't actually understand mortals or that they're more affected by certain things than they are."

"As for me, yes, it's best if I do go along with Certhiel for the time being. Play the proper little adoring son who just wants to belong. It's... Not much of an acting job, really. See what I can find out and who I can try to actually get on my side. Toveliss especially." He ponders.

"You as well on that, Limara. You're obviously the closest to him. Perhaps if you work on him as best you can, try to feel out his loyalties. I'll do that as well. Actually... Maybe it might help if you even try to get closer to Certhiel. She is your mother-in-law, so it wouldn't look too out of place for you to show an interest. That works out with us, as well. It doesn't look that strange if I talk with my half-sister-in-law, especially since we've met elsewhere before."

"Just my thoughts. Pavick? Lucan?"

dariathalon
2011-11-29, 12:58 AM
Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick can't help but smile; he's always happy to hear tales of his exploits have spread. "I suppose that is a possibility." He rubs his fingers across his chin. "I have enough influence that I can probably convince them that I can bring a lot to their plans. If you can point me towards someone to get close to, I will see what I can do."

DSCrankshaw
2011-11-29, 08:31 AM
"I'm happy to perform for anyone," Lucan says. "And I'm good at asking questions."

Hzurr
2011-11-29, 08:02 PM
DM Post

----------- Eltain, Lucan & Pavick ------------

Limara smiles, "Excellent. Starting tomorrow, Eltain and I will see what we can find out from Toveliss and Certhiel, and Lucan can see what he can find out in the city." She turns her attention to Pavick.

Midday tomorrow, one of the other winter noble families will be arriving; Lord Telemnar from the Hivernim family, and Lady Alatariel from the Labri. Toveliss and I will most likely greet them, and I'll be sure during that initial meeting to make mention of you and your exploits, in case they are unfamiliar with them. After that, I recommend you seek either of them out at some point that afternoon." She leans forward in her chair. "One thing you should all be aware of, is that in addition to the Sidhe families, the ArchFey Koliada will also be arriving. Stay away from her at all costs. She despises mortals, even Eladrin, and would take any slight as an excuse to freeze you for a hundred years as 'penance.' She is among the least of the Archfey, but she is still very powerful. They will be with us for several days until we leave for the Court of Stars."

OOC: If there's nothing else you want to do, feel free to jump ahead to the next day.

Nai_Calus
2011-11-29, 11:48 PM
Eltain pales at the mention of Koliada, no mean feat for a man whose skin is already very nearly snow-white.

"The Winter Witch? Here?" He shudders. "Corellon protect us." He quickly traces an eight-pointed star in the air with the first two fingers of his right hand. "That doesn't bode well for our prospects... Then again, if she wants to come here it doesn't matter if Certhiel wants her presence or not."

"We should rest soon, then. Get ready for tomorrow. Alas, my human blood requires me to actually sleep, and Pavick and Lucan certainly need it as well..." A sudden grin crosses his face. "And tomorrow I can show you what we used to do for fun around here when I was younger."

(OOC: Basically Eltain's making the sign of the cross, but with a couple more passes since Corellon's symbol is an eight-pointed star, if you want a better visual. Also, I'm assuming that since he's from around here that he's at least passingly familiar with some basic information about the winter court and its more high-ranking members, if only as a basic survival tactic.)