PDA

View Full Version : Build Me A Sif!

Amoren
2011-10-21, 02:20 AM
Mostly just a humorous pondering on stating out the boss Great Grey Wolf Sif from Dark Souls. I'm thinking an awakened Dire Wolf, with levels of fighter and whirling frenzy barbarian ought to do it?

Oh, and of course a pretty epic giant sized greatsword!

Morph Bark
2011-10-21, 04:07 AM
If s/he uses a sword, awakened Dire Wolf won't do it, as that only makes it smart, it does not grant opposable thumbs.

And here I thought you meant Sif from the Norse mythology. :smallfrown:

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-21, 05:44 AM
Check Dragon Magazine Compendium for the Lupine race.

Enjoy!

Gullintanni
2011-10-21, 06:37 AM

I am equally disappointed by the lack of Norse deities presented in the OP post. :smallfrown:

Zagaroth
2011-10-21, 07:31 AM
There's a template for making Anthromorphic races in Savage Species.

Or go werewolf who stays in hybrid form all the time.

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-21, 08:31 AM
There's a template for making Anthromorphic races in Savage Species.

Or go werewolf who stays in hybrid form all the time.

These will work, sure. But class levels > LA/RHD.

Lupine have a +0 LA and no RHD, Anthro-whatever is almost guaranteed to have 2RHD and at least a +1 LA. Lycanthropes have +2 or +3 LA, and whatever RHD the base animal possesses.

Tokuhara
2011-10-21, 08:57 AM
Apparently the Playground hasn't gotten this far in Dark Souls...

Sif is DEFINATELY not for players, but could make an interesting "boss monster"

I suggest a Monster of Legend Awakened Dire Wolf. The reason is that Great Grey Wolf Sif is just a big wolf (literally) with a sword. It isn't a werewolf, and it isn't humanoid in shape. It's a very big quadropedial wolf who weilds a sword in its mouth.

Chained Birds
2011-10-21, 09:07 AM
Apparently the Playground hasn't gotten this far in Dark Souls...

Sif is DEFINATELY not for players, but could make an interesting "boss monster"

I suggest a Monster of Legend Awakened Dire Wolf. The reason is that Great Grey Wolf Sif is just a big wolf (literally) with a sword. It isn't a werewolf, and it isn't humanoid in shape. It's a very big quadropedial wolf who weilds a sword in its mouth.

So, the above info + give the Greatsword the Savage Species (Or maybe one of the Races books) enchantment that allows the wielder to use the weapon in its mouth.

Tokuhara
2011-10-21, 09:10 AM
So, the above info + give the Greatsword the Savage Species (Or maybe one of the Races books) enchantment that allows the wielder to use the weapon in its mouth.

Pretty much. It's not pretty, but neither is Dark Souls

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-21, 09:22 AM
If s/he uses a sword, awakened Dire Wolf won't do it, as that only makes it smart, it does not grant opposable thumbs.

Moutpick weapon enhancement (LoM) begs to differ :smalltongue:

Yora
2011-10-21, 09:32 AM
That beast is at least Huge size, if not even Gargantuan. Wasn't there are titanic size animal template somewhere?

Morph Bark
2011-10-21, 09:48 AM
That beast is at least Huge size, if not even Gargantuan. Wasn't there are titanic size animal template somewhere?

Fiend Folio, IIRC.

Amoren
2011-10-24, 03:31 AM
Alright, here's what I got so far! I'm cheating in two ways. 1) Making Direwolf treated as a race and giving racial modifiers rather than set attributes (it is an unusual/heroic sample of its species, after all!), and 2) Hand waving the need for mouth pick weapons, as it doesn't exactly match Sif (who was just really good at handling the claymore with his snout!).

So, using a 32 point buy as a base (again, heroic creature!). We then apply Awakened Animal spell and Animal Growth, since Sif is clearly intelligent if he can use a greatsword in his snout, and it'll get his size up to huge. Titanic Creature template could also be used, but gargantuan seems a bit large, and and it doesn't exactly fit the character from what I quickly glanced at. He'll also have the Animal/Monster of Legend template, also because of the fact he's a heroic creature of legend.

So, a 32 point buy base gives us 18 Str, 14 Con, 12 Dex, and 10 in mental attributes (I considered Awakened Animal setting the Int penalty to 0). With Direwolf racial modifiers, it's now Str 32, Con 20, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10. Add on Monster of Legend, it becomes Str 42, Con 30, Dex 22, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14. Awakened gives 1d3 Charisma (rounded to 2, pumping it to 16). Finally, Animal Growth gives its final attribute array at Str 50 (+20), Con 34 (+12), Dex 20 (+5), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 16 (+3).

Total everything else up, and we have..!

Str 50 (+20), Dex 20 (+5), Con 34 (+12), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 16 (+3)
HP: 8d10+96, AC: 23 (10 +5 Dex, +10 Natural Armor -2 Size), Spd 50ft
Fort: 25, Ref: 18, Will: 11
BAB: 8, Bite: +26 (2d6+30), Greatsword: +26/26/21 4d6+30, Reach 15ft?
Feats: Track (B), plus 3 others to be picked.
Darkvision 60ft + Low Light Vision
Damage Resistance 10/magic
Frightful Presence: DC 21
Haste: Sif gains one extra attack at his full base attack bonus whenever he uses a full attack.
Immunity: Sif is immune to fear and mind affecting effects.

Not sure what the CR on him would be, but I figure on top of this could be added a few levels of fighter/barbarian to get him to where ya want it! As well as a greatsword of some kind (likely an artifact of some sort). Although, I ponder if cleric would fit as well/better, and taking the cleric option from Monster of Legacy to get 5 free levels to boost it up. Making it a demigod with a divine rank of 0 might also fit. Just depends on what sort of CR/campaign you're running and want to fit this huge wolf in.

Yora
2011-10-24, 04:25 AM
As it is, it can be easily defeated by just staying at a place out of reach and kill it with arrows and spells from a distance. Unless the players will face it in a cave, it does need some way to attack flying targets.

At this level of power DR/magic can be ignored, as all characters will probably have magic weapons.
I guess it's a good base for a monster, but now you need to get creative with special attacks and defenses. Just one large pile of hit points that does massive melee damage is not a very interesting fight.

Amoren
2011-10-24, 04:43 AM
Well, I was thinking of adding levels of fighter for more feats, to make it match the boss from the game. Perhaps a warblade instead to add some martial maneuvers instead?

Whatever he ends up doing, a giant wolf wielding a huge (perhaps even whatever size larger that is greatsword with the monkeygrip feat) in his teeth would at least make for a fun boss which is a mass of hit points.

As it is though, it is a nice base for him. Might even save it for a Great Wolf (race).

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-24, 08:04 AM
Needs moar warblade, by crom!

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 09:19 AM
Well, I was thinking of adding levels of fighter for more feats, to make it match the boss from the game. Perhaps a warblade instead to add some martial maneuvers instead?

Whatever he ends up doing, a giant wolf wielding a huge (perhaps even whatever size larger that is greatsword with the monkeygrip feat) in his teeth would at least make for a fun boss which is a mass of hit points.

As it is though, it is a nice base for him. Might even save it for a Great Wolf (race).

What you can do:

Give it an Epic feat in non-epic levels (Weild Oversized Weapon). This lets it use the BFS.

Take warblade over any other class. Warblade's large HD gives it some survivability, and the maneuvers make it able to hurt players. Feel free that during a fight, maybe add a few extra HP "off the dice" to make it a more epic battle.

To combat flying, use the terrain. Sif's area has a large rock formation behind it, so perhaps it can do a rushed climb and leap attack off of it to hit flying foes.

And always remember: You're the DM, so you can bend the rules to have a fight work the way you want it to.