PDA

View Full Version : Japanese terms for guns?

Bhu
2011-10-21, 04:40 AM
I'm revising my samurai/ashigaru class and need to know feudal terms for guns. All I can find is Teppo, which I'm sure refers to teh Arquebus, but what would they call other firearms?

Nargan
2011-10-21, 06:16 AM
I'm revising my samurai/ashigaru class and need to know feudal terms for guns. All I can find is Teppo, which I'm sure refers to teh Arquebus, but what would they call other firearms?

Google, yo.

Brother Oni
2011-10-21, 06:33 AM

On a more useful note, the feudal colloquial term for all firearms was tanegashima, after the place where the Portugese first landed.

If you're after more detailed terms, then the Wikipedia page on Arquebuses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus) has some links to Japanese hand cannons, pistols and the like.

Firearms of Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_of_Japan) may also be of some use, although if you're after modern terms, a dictionary may be of more use.

Bhu
2011-10-21, 03:00 PM
Google, yo.

Google gets me the term Teppo. Thats about it. Hence why i took the chance of asking of someone here might be more knowledgeable

Much thanks to Brother Oni :smallcool:
Now I just need to find stuff for explosives and cannons

factotum
2011-10-21, 04:39 PM
Isn't the name of the famous Buriza-Do Kyanon from Diablo 2 Japanese for "Blizzard Cannon"? Sure I remember reading that somewhere...

Yanagi
2011-10-21, 06:03 PM
A quick runaround on Wikipedia:

Tanegashima are matchlock long guns based on those seized from the Portugese. From there develop a range of arquebuses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus)matching different strategic needs: ozutsu hand cannons for use against formations, bajozutsu as equestrian weapons akin to carbines, and tanzutsu pistols. All of these varieties circulated during the Sakoku period, though their production and distribution was heavily regulated by Edo: gunnery, though, was a legitimate-if-obscure aspect of bujutsu to study.

I'm not an expert, so I don't know if that's comprehensive or accurate picture of types.

Bhu
2011-10-21, 10:10 PM
Thanks!

I should prolly start posting a list of weapons eventually. I also need to find a name for a dagger hidden inside a jutte because apparently they were made but i cant find an official name for them

SiuiS
2011-10-21, 10:23 PM
isn't a jutte just a bar with a prong? It's a dagger-like weapon itself...

Aiguchi? It's a catchall term for dagger without quillions or the like, I think. I've seen it applied to shivs before. There is also Shikomi-Zue, which I've seen applied to swords hidden in canes, sticks with retractable/extendable blades, etc.

This is all admittedly from flawed memory though.

Bhu
2011-10-21, 11:46 PM
pretty much, but im wondering what to calle one with a hidden blade

Shikomi-zue were canes or walking sticks hiding various weapons, including swords, chains, spear tips, hooks, etc. I wanted to somehow differentiate from them.

Mando Knight
2011-10-21, 11:49 PM
Isn't the name of the famous Buriza-Do Kyanon from Diablo 2 Japanese for "Blizzard Cannon"? Sure I remember reading that somewhere...

...It's the Gratuitous Japanese of the Gratuitous English for Blizzard Cannon.

factotum
2011-10-22, 01:35 AM

Me stooopid, not know what talky man means...

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-22, 01:42 AM
Quite so. I've become very adept at speaking Gratuitous Japanese XD.

For example, the Eekke Faatesseben.

Mando Knight
2011-10-22, 02:12 AM
Me stooopid, not know what talky man means...

Gratuitous Japanese (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GratuitousJapanese): Stick in the Japanese for a phrase just because you can.
Gratuitous English (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GratuitousEnglish): The same, but for English.

Buriza-Do Kyanon: An approximate romanization of the katakana used to write "Blizzard Cannon."

Prime32
2011-10-24, 04:05 PM
Buriza-Do Kyanon: An approximate romanization of the katakana used to write "Blizzard Cannon."Basically, it's "Blizzard Cannon" with a Japanese accent.

To give more detail, Japanese words are built from a different set of sounds to English, with the sounds Bu-ri-za-a-do Kya-no-n being as close as you can get to the original.

Bhu
2011-10-28, 03:42 AM
does anyone know if the following exist or their just bull:

Sode Tsutsu: primitive one use shotgun

Jirai or Jiraika: primitive land mine

Shikoro: saw bladed knife or sword

Neru Kawaito/Neru-Kawa ito: Laminated wood/leather shield

Dokuenjutsu: poison smoke grenades

Gobo: wooden club

Chosen Jitte: basically a chain whip

Knight9910
2011-10-28, 04:01 AM
Sadly the only Japanese gun I know of is the tanegashima. ^^;;

Well, I don't know for a fact, but I will try to help. Wikipedia has nothing on any of them, though it might be that you have the wrong names...

I have heard of a jitte (or jutte) but it's not even remotely a chain whip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jutte

As for the Gobo, are you thinking of a kanabo?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanab%C5%8D

The closest I've found to the jiraika is the fougasse, which is...probably not what you're looking for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fougasse_%28weapon%29
Alternately, read the "History" section of this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_mine

I don't think the shikoro-ken (saw sword) is a real historical weapon, but I have seen plenty enough stuff on sword collector websites to say you should be fine using it.

Don't know much about the neru-kawa ito, however I do know that wood shields with leather over them are real things that have been used in history.

For the dokuenjutsu, again, I don't know about the name, but according to Wikipedia:

Explosives introduced from China were known in Japan by the time of the Mongol Invasions (13th century).[92] Later, explosives such as hand-held bombs and grenades were adopted by the ninja.[83] Soft-cased bombs were designed to release smoke or poison gas, along with fragmentation explosives packed with iron or pottery shrapnel.[67]

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-28, 06:37 AM

Jirai(ka) is indeed the modern Japanese word for land mine. However, I know of no historical Japanese landmines. That was the Chinese.

EDIT: As for "gobo", the second syllable is indeed the syllable for "club" or "stick", but I can't find any permutations with that first syllable. Of course, I didn't look too hard.

Brother Oni
2011-10-28, 06:44 AM
Sode Tsutsu: primitive one use shotgun

I remember seeing primitive firearms and explosives at the Iga-ryu Ninja museum (http://iganinja.jp/en/), but I couldn't tell you what their names were. That said, I do remember a blunderbuss type weapon so a one use shotgun isn't unrealistic and grenade-like explosives, so remotely detonated or timed landmines rather than more modern pressure-plate ones would be suitable.

However these were specifically at a ninja museum - whether samurai or ashigaru would use them (or have the know how) is dubious.

Neru Kawaito/Neru-Kawa ito: Laminated wood/leather shield

Further to Knight9910's comment, as far as I know, these shields would have been used more like pavise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavise) or siege shields to shelter infantry from enemy arrows, rather than in hand to hand combat.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-28, 07:37 AM
Japanese sub-machine guns goes like "Baka baka baka baka baka baka baka". :smalltongue:

Bhu
2011-10-28, 05:02 PM
As for the Gobo, are you thinking of a kanabo?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanab%C5%8D

Nope. Kanabo are reinforced with iron. The Gobo is just a plain wooden warclub. Probably a fairly primitive weapon, or something of last resort.

danzibr
2011-10-28, 07:58 PM
http://jisho.org/words?jap=&eng=gun&dict=edict

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-28, 08:02 PM
Japanese sub-machine guns goes like "Baka baka baka baka baka baka baka". :smalltongue:
The word you want is "dakka", not "baka". :smalltongue:

Bhu
2011-10-29, 04:00 AM
Any of you heard of Hyakurai? I keep seeing references to a primitive explosive, or several guns detonated in a barrel to cause noise and sow fear and confusion.

Also what about these :

Arare: 3 dimensional shuriken basically

Bakuchi Ire: bamboo tubes filled with gunpowder. Basically noise bombs.

Bakurai bishi: Caltrops containing minor explosives (sounds like bull to me)

Hi-kyu: Hollow clay ball filled with gunpowder

Hi-ya-zutsu: Bamboo tube used to shoot fireworks of flaming arrows.

Kame baku: Spiked iron shell filled with gunpowder.

Mitsu te: Pole attached to a chain with several hooks at teh other end.

Nage-gama: Throwing sickle?

Nage-ken: Small throwing sword (wtf?)

Seiryu-to: Sort of like a machete

Sode-teppo: Crude one shot gun made from a bamboo tube.

Suikan: Bladder filled with irritant, poison, or mild acid connected to bamboo blowtube.

Tabi-Yumi: Traveling bow, a collapsible shortbow with very short range.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-29, 07:55 AM
It would help us all a lot if you would tell us where you're seeing these things. Most of it, however, seems to be stuff that has been made up in modern times. I'll list the exceptions, or stuff of note, at least.

Bakuchi ire: The word "bakuchiku" refers to a firecracker stored in a bamboo tube. I can't say for sure whether this was terribly commonly used, especially for attack, but it did exist.
Hiyazutsu: Fire arrows (hiya) would commonly be shot from bows. Once again, from what I can tell, Japanese military did not use ranged explosives (though they would eventually incorporate cannon into their naval warfare)
Seiryuuto: Totally a real thing! Sort of. The Blue Dragon Sword is indeed a scimitar, but it's from Chinese martial arts, and is only known to Japan through stories and possibly limited use. It might be more accurate to describe it as a falchion of sorts.
Suikan: The word certainly means "blow tube". If anyone used it, though, it would be ninja, not samurai.

Traab
2011-10-29, 01:41 PM
Thanks!

I should prolly start posting a list of weapons eventually. I also need to find a name for a dagger hidden inside a jutte because apparently they were made but i cant find an official name for them

Isnt that the weapon the bald dude used in kill bill? When she was wiping out an entire yakuza gang single handed, the bald boss of the gang had some sort of stick weapon that he pulled apart into two blades.

Bhu
2011-10-29, 02:01 PM
Isnt that the weapon the bald dude used in kill bill? When she was wiping out an entire yakuza gang single handed, the bald boss of the gang had some sort of stick weapon that he pulled apart into two blades.

Nope. Jutte is a one handed iron truncheon with a prong.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-29, 02:35 PM
The word you want is "dakka", not "baka". :smalltongue:

But that won't insult the enemy! :smalltongue:

Brother Oni
2011-10-31, 07:27 AM
Seiryuuto: Totally a real thing! Sort of. The Blue Dragon Sword is indeed a scimitar, but it's from Chinese martial arts, and is only known to Japan through stories and possibly limited use. It might be more accurate to describe it as a falchion of sorts.

It's better known as the dao or sabre. It's a wide, single edged blade compared to the much thinner double edged jian or sword.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7Kg6BlNec) has an excellent scene comparing the two weapons (it's the first blade that Michelle Yeoh's character uses).

Hi-ya-zutsu: Bamboo tube used to shoot fireworks of flaming arrows.

This sounds very much like the Chinese Bee's Nest (http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?/topic/32533-the-ming-dynasty-rocket-arrows/).

From some digging, the Japanese would have most likely encountered the Korean version of these weapons (the hwacha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwacha) or rocket cart) during the Imjin wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imjin_War), so it's quite feasible that they captured or developed their own versions in limited numbers.

Most of these weapons sound like they would be used more by ninja and siege engineers though, rather than ashigaru and samurai.

Bhu
2011-10-31, 04:03 PM
I'll be doing ninjas after the samurais so i thought Id get their weapons too in advance

Bhu
2011-11-01, 02:15 AM
I planned on posting a full weapons list but the BG Forums are down and I didnt copy notes :(

Soon as they pop up will fix that

Flame of Anor
2011-11-06, 09:18 PM
Google, yo.

But what firearm does "google-yo" refer to? :smalltongue:

Bhu
2011-11-06, 10:09 PM
ok heres a rough draft of the list im considering:

Arrows
Hina-Ya Fire arrow.
Kaburi-Ya/Hiki-Ya/Hiniki-Ya Blunt arrow designed to make whistling sound for signaling.
Karimata V shaped arrowhead.
Mato-ya Blunt arrows for practice.
Togari-Ya Traditional arrow.
Watakusi Large arrowhead with backward facing barbs.
Yanagi-Ba Also called Willow Leaf, a broad arrowhead with a pattern cut into it.

Axes
Fuetsu The Fuetsu was rarely used as a weapon by anyone other than Sohei, but would use Battleaxe stats.
Masakari The Masakari is rather like a hatchet with a backwards facing spike. Again, used more as a tool than a weapon.
Ono The Ono is a Bo staff length axe that could use Greataxe stats. It was probably used as a tool or means of destroying fortifications more often than as a weapon.

Bows and Crossbows
Dai-Kyu/Oyumi The 2 meter tall longbow.
Dokyu Repeating crossbow imported from China.
Hankyu/Koyumi Hankyu refers to the smaller bows used in Zen archery.
Hoko-yumi Mongolian or Chinese recurved bow encountered early. Would have been somewhat rare.
Ishiyumi These would be large wall mounted crossbows, Chinese imports which were used in castle defense (and sometimes used for shooting stones, or multiple bolts). The name also refers to catapults.
Teppo Yumi This would probably be the equivalent of a Hand Crossbow.
Shinobi Yumi I'm using this to refer to short bows it was claimed were used by ninjas because I can't find another name.
Suzume Yumi Hunting bow.

Chain and Rope Weapons
Chidorigane Bizarre weapon consisting of a 46 cm long metal pipe with a tassel at one end, and a short chain with a sharpened metal weight at the end that resembles a Plover's wings. Also called the Nanban. The chain could be retracted or extended.
Chijiriki Also called Chijirigi, or Chigiriki. It's a solid or hollow bamboo or iron staff which hides a length of chain and a large weight. Sort of a hidden flail. Length varied from the users forearm, to that of a Bo Staff. Butt is often shod with metal for striking.
Fundonawa Police weapon for restraining people consisting of a rope with a metal weight at one or both ends. Length is usually 48.5 cm.
Gunhananeji Hananeji with a sickle blade.
Hananejibo Also called Hananeji or Hananejiri. 30-85 cm staff with a hole 1 or 2 hands lengths from one end through which a cord was wound. Originally a stable tool.
Hayatejo Consisted of 5 iron plates 2-3 cm long connected to each other on the longer side with a hinge, sort of resembling a large bracelet with teeth on the inside of each plate. The two outer plates had rings so they could be held by the thumb and forefinger, with a length of cord attached to one of the rings. Used for restraining prisoners by the hand or throat.
Kaginawa Steel hook attached to a rope.
Kakushi Kusarigama Smaller version of the Kusarigama meant to be concealable in ones pocket. The blade is generally blunt but could be sharpened.
Kannawa An arresting rope with a metal ring at one end.
Kittate A candle holder that could be used as a weapon in emergencies or to conceal other things. Probably mostly a ninja weapon.
Konpei Similar to a Chidorigane but with a round metal weight, a much longer chain, and the metal pipe handle could slide along the length of the chain.
Konpi 3-13 foot length of chain with a metal weight at one end, and a metal ring at the other. The ring has a short loop of chain attached to it, or with a horned ring, or with a flat iron bar.
Kuruman Bo Think of a nunchaku, except one of the sticks is the length of a Bo staff. Basically a Heavy Flail made of wood.
Kururi One of various japanese names for flails, probably wooden.
Kusaribo Also called Kusari Furizue, Kusari Furijo, and several other names. Basically the same as the Chijiriki, but some Chijiriki had spearheads attached to their chain instead of metal weights so I'm using this name for it.
Kusari-Fundo Also called Manriki, Manrikigusari, Ryofundogusari, and God alone knows how many other names. Basically a 12-48 inch chain with a metal weight at each end.
Kusarigama Kama attached to a chain with a metal weight at the other end. There is a variant called the Bauhatsugama where the metal weight is replaced with a fragile container of blinding powder, or poisons.
Kusarijutte Jutte attached to a 6 foot chain with a metal weight at the other end.
Kusariryuta 13 foot chain with a metal weight at one end and a 3 pronged hook at the other.
Kusariuchibo Iron truncheon connected to a chain with a metal weight at the other end. If the truncheon is wood it's called a Bunbunbai.
Kyoketsu-Shoge Metal ring attached to 12-18 ft of rope with a blade at the other end that also has a backwards facing secondary blade.
Mijin Sort of a chain bolas.
Mukujutte/Nanban Hananeji Hananejibo with weight and chain attached that can be extended from one end.
Nagenawa A lasso.
Nunchaku Two sticks connected by a short chain or rope.
Okusarigama Larger version of the Kusarigama, also called an Ohgama.
Sansetsukon Three (or sometimes four) section staff.
Surujin Also called Suruchin, it is a 2-3m long rope with a weight tied to each end (or a weight at one end and a spike at the other). Made from chain in more modern times.
Torihimo/Torinawa 12 foot rope used for restraining prisoners, often attached to a Jutte.
Yumiorezue Broken Yumi turned into a sort of sectional whip for self defense.

Clubs, Maces, and Hammers
Ararebo Short one handed wooden club with iron studs at the end.
Hachiwari/Kabutowari
Hanbojutte Wooden jutte.
Jutte Iron truncheon with a short prong and attached tassel or rope. Sometimes used to conceal a blade or spearhead inside. Also called Jitte.
Kanabo One and a half handed version of the Ararebo.
Kanemuchi Referred to as an iron whip, this is basically a long metal stick made to look like a horse whip.
Kansaibo Hardwood staff reinforced with iron. A lighter version of the Tetsubo.
Kiseru Tobacco pipe that eventually became a self defense weapon popular among commoners and Yakuza.
Naeshi Basically a Jutte without the prong.
Nanbankagi/Shakyo Hand held forked truncheon with a tassel attached. The Nanbankagi is a U shaped fork, while the Shakyo is Y shaped.
Nyoibo 2 meter wooden club with a strap at one end.
Otsuchi 6 foot long wooden hammer used for forced entry.
Sai Dagger shaped metal truncheon with two prongs at the handle.
Seki-Bo Knobbed primitive stone war club.
Shakuhachi Large bamboo flute sometimes used as self defense weapon by monks.
Te-Gi Mace used by Japanese police.
Tetsubo Two handed version of the Ararebo.
Tetsuniyoi Wooden scepter used by Buddhists for teaching Sutras that eventually became a self defense weapon made of iron.
Tonfa Club that serves as the inspiration for modern police batons.
Tsuchi Warhammer.
Uchiharai Jutte Thin Jutte nearly the length of a Katana.

Knives and Swords
Bokken Any wooden practice version of the Tanto, Wakizashi, or Katana.
Cha****suto Elaborately carved wooden Tanto used in the tea ceremony which was eventually adopted as a self defense weapon.
Chisa Gatana Sword between the length of a Katana and Wakizashi.
Chokuto Straight single edged hacking sword.
Kanigawa
Katana Curved longsword measuring 60-70cm.
Kodachi Short sword less than 60cm that coud be carried by merchants.
No-Dachi Two handed sword with a blade more than 1m in length.
Shikomi Sensu Dagger whose sheath is meant to look like a closed fan.
Suburito Heavier version of the Bokken meant for building muscle.
Tachi Precursor to the Katana up to 78cm in length.
Tanto Single or double edged knife 6-12" long. If forged without a guard it is called an Aikuchi. If reinforced and widened for piercing armor it is called a Yoroi Toshi/Yoroidoshi.
Tekkan/Tetto Iron truncheon made to look like a Wakizashi while sheathed.
Tsurugi Early double edged broadsword.
Wakizashi 12-24" curved short sword.
Zanbato Greatsword disputed to have been used in an actual battle.

Polearms
Bisento Anti-cavalry precursor to the Naginata somewhat resembling the Chinese Guan Dao.
Nagamaki Polearm resembling a longsword with a 2-4' blade and an equally long handle.
Naginata Polearm sinilar to the glaive with a 30-60cm blade.
Naigama Polearm length kama, a scythe basically. Also called an Ogama.
Nunti-Bo Fisherman's gaffe hook modified to be a weapon. It's head looks rather like a sai, except one prong faces the opposite direction of the other.
Sasumata Polearm common to police with a U shaped head.
Sodegarami Polearm common to police with multiple spiked prongs as a head..
Tsuki Yari Nari Polearm with a crescent blade.
Tsukubo Polearm common to police with a T shaped head.

Spears
Hoko Yari 6' spear with wavy blade with a sickle shaped horn on one or both sides.
Kagi Yari Has a long blade with a side hook, similar to a Fauchard. Sort of a weird L shape the opposite of the Kata Kama Yari.
Kamayari Yari with a Kama at the base of the blade.
Nagae Yari Japanese pike, about 15-22' long.
Rochin Short stabbing weapon with designs varying from a spear the length of the forearm to a machete like weapon.
Shakujo Yari Ringed priests staff concealing a spear.
Teyari Shorter spear preferred by policemen.
Yari Japanese Long Spear with a blade for a tip. Variants include the Bishamon Yari with a blade sort of like a fleur-de-lis, the Kata Kama Yari with a straight blade perpendicular to the main blade in a weird L shape, the Jumonji Yari which has two shorter blades branching off from the main one in a trident like shape, Kikuchi Yari whose blades were only single edged, the Omi Yari which had a very long blade, the Sankaku Yari which had a point but no edge, Juji Yari which had a cross shaped head, the Futomata Yari with a forked head, and the Kikuchi Yari which had a very broad spadelike head.

Staves
Bo Staff roughly 2m long, also called Rokushakubo.
Hanbo Staff about 1m in length.
Jo Staff slightly longer than 4'.
Shakujo Priests staff with metal rings.
Tamazue Staff with balls at either end.
Tambo Staff shorter than 1m.
Yagyuzue Iron rod camouflaged to look like a walking stick.
Yubi-Bo 8" staff.

Thrown
Arare Sort of 3 dimensional as opposed to flat shuriken.
Bakuchi Ire bamboo tubes filled with gunpowder. Basically noise bombs.
Bo Shuriken 5-8" steel throwing spike.
Dokko Shuriken Throwing weapon similar in appearance to a Dokko.
Enbangata Shuriken Disc shaped shuriken.
Enbigata Shuriken Also called Matsubagata or Hiengata, these shuriken are v shaped like a Swallow's tail.
Fumibari/Kogai/Uchi-Ya Throwing darts (some can also be fired from blowgun).
Gandomeken Throwing knife.
Happo Egg filled with blinding powder
Hi-kyu Hollow clay ball filled with gunpowder
Hira Shuriken Throwing star type shuriken.
Makibishi Caltrops made from dried seed pods or iron.
Kemuridama Smoke bomb.
Metsubishi Blinding powder.
Nageteppo Firecracker used as a Flash bomb.
Tama Tetsu Iron throwing balls.
Tetsutsubute Flat metal throwing discs.
Torinoko Smoke powder or tiny explosive charge kept in egg.
Tsubute Throwing stones.
Uchi-ne Javelin.

Unusual
Ashiko Strap wrapped around the foot with spikes to aid in climbing.
Bankokuchoki Brass knuckles.
Dochu Kogai/Shikomi Kogai Spikes disguised as chopsticks.
Dokko/Gorinkudaki Small carved wooden object used in Buddhism and adapted for use as a self defense weapon (a fist load).
Eko/Kaibo The boat oar, developed into a weapon.
Fukimi-Bari Darts held in the mouth and spit into an opponents eyes.
Fukiya Japanese blowgun.
Goshinyo Yokubue Iron flute.
Hari A fish hook sometimes used as a weapon in Kobudo. Term also used for needles.
Hyakurai-Ju A dozen or more gun barrels rigged to go off inside a barrel causing a series of loud explosions. Mostly meant as a noise bomb to distract or terrify but I can't imagine it's fun for anyone in the vicinity.
Jirai/Jiraka Primitive land mines. Basically a wooden case filled with explosive that had a long fuse that had to be lit, so enemy movements had to be predicted and timed.
Kaginawa Grappling hook.
Kakute Iron Ring with one or more spices, usually poisoned.
Kama Sickle used in various eastern martial arts.
Kansashi Traditional hairpin used as a weapon of last resort.
Kumade Leaf Rake adapted to be a self defense weapon.
Kunai Gardening and masonry tool adapted to self defense (sort of a trowel).
Kuai Cane used as a weapon in Kobudo.
Kuwa Farmer's hoe adapted as a self defense weapon.
Marohoshi Looks sort of like a traditional spearhead with crossguards and a tassel.
Musashi Kaiken Looks sort of an axehead with a trapezoid shaped open through which the hand is passed to grip it.
Nanban Hachiwari Blunt kama, sort of like a pick.
Neko-Te Contrary to popular depictions of these as finger claws, they're more like strap on Wolverine style claws, and used more for parrying than attacking.
Obi Kimono sash.
Shinobi-Zue One of several ninja weapons meant to resemble a cane or walking stick, a staff, or a priests baton. It usually concealed a sword blade, spearhead, hook, chain, or whatever else the owner could think of.
Shikomibue Metal flute smaller than a Shakuhachi, sometimes with a hidden point or blade.
Shobo Short stick with cord to wrap around fingers. Basically a fist load.
Suikan Bladder filled with irritant, poison, or mild acid connected to bamboo blowtube.
Suntetsu 6 inch metal rod with spiked ends and a ring used to grip it. Another fist load.
Tekagi-Shuko Strap wrapped around hand with spikes to aid in climbing.
Tekko Originally a pair of horse shoes welded together to be used as bras knuckles it was replaced with the stirrup as that was more concealable.
Tessen/Tenarashi/Motsu-shaku
Tesshaku 16" iron bar used as a measuring ruler.
Toami Fishing net used as a weapon.
Tobikuchi Sort of a pickaxe used by firement to demolish support beams so fires wouldnt spread or to tear open buildings.
Yatate/Goshinyo Yatate Ink set and carrying box modified for self defense as a club.
Yawara Symbolic Buddhist object resembling a wooden dumbbell which became used as a fist load.

Firearms
Futokoro Teppo Primitive derringer.
Hi-ya-zutsu Bamboo tube used to shoot fireworks of flaming arrows.
Tetsuho Early hand cannon imported from China. Little more than an iron tube.
Tanegashima Snap Matchlock rifles introduced by the Portuguese.
Kozutsu Primitive bazooka that was destroyed after 1-3 shots. Meant for firing iron balls or primitive rockets/fireworks.
Ozutsu Larger version of the matchlock rifle. Basically a small man portable cannon which eventually developed into artillery cannons bearing the same name.
Bajo-Zutsu Matchlock carbine made for horsemen. During the Edo period there were 3 and 6 shot experimental versions.
Tanzutsu Matchlock pistol.
Sode-Tsutsu Also called an O-deppo or Sode Teppo. Basically a large wooden tube that acts as a primitive one shot shotgun used for door breeching.
Geweer Flintlock Flintlock pistols and rifles (and some artillery) introduced by the Dutch.. The name was also used for some Mortars and field artillery.

possibilities
Gobo: Wooden club
Dokuenjutsu: poison smoke grenades
Mitsu te: Pole attached to a chain with several hooks at teh other end.
Kame baku: Spiked iron shell filled with gunpowder.
Nage-gama: Throwing sickle?
Tabi-Yumi: Traveling bow, a collapsible shortbow with very short range.

factotum
2011-11-07, 02:28 AM

Isn't a "small throwing sword" a "throwing knife"? Sounds like it ought to be, anyway!

Amiel
2011-11-07, 02:31 AM
The Japanese refer to their guns as gun-chan.

Apparently, it's also juu 銃/じゅう.

ピストル (pisutoru)
ガン (gan)
拳銃 (kenjuu)
短銃 (tangjuu)
短筒 (tandutsu)