PDA

View Full Version : Those Sons and Daughters of Demons

Golden Ladybug
2011-10-21, 05:01 AM
Hey, Playground, hows it hanging?

You know, I've been attempting to mess around with Tieflings recently, but that LA+1 is a bother. Obviously, they're slightly more powerful than is really acceptable for LA+0 with their Resistances, Immunity to all sorts of spells and really quite good Ability Modifiers.

However, there is always the Lesser Tiefling; problem is, I don't own the book in which their stats are presented. I know the general gist of what they are, but not exactly.

So, is their anything that differs between the Lesser Tiefling and the normal Tiefling, besides the Outsider (Native) vs Humanoid (Planetouched) subtypes? I've seen people say things like losing the Energy Resistances, or a different SLA to Darkness, but I don't know for sure.

Any help you can give is much appreciated

Swooper
2011-10-21, 05:12 AM
So, is their anything that differs between the Lesser Tiefling and the normal Tiefling, besides the Outsider (Native) vs Humanoid (Planetouched) subtypes?
Nope, that's the only difference.

Golden Ladybug
2011-10-21, 05:17 AM
Oh, how convenient; even though that Subtype gives a lot of benefits, like the Martial Weapon Proficiency and immunity to things that target humanoids, its nothing I'm unwilling to give up.

Thank you so much for your help :smallbiggrin:

kardar233
2011-10-21, 05:18 AM
That's the only difference, but it's a very significant one.

Main concerns being that Outsiders are not affected by effects that specify humanoids such as charm person, that they can turn into other Outsiders through use of alter self and polymorph, and that they automatically gain proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, allowing easy access into, say, gish PrCs.

~EDIT~ Swordsaged. However, if you happen to be heart-set on the Outsider type, you can use this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) variant, trading the daylight SLA, the resistances and the WIS bonus for the nice Outsider type and Darkvision.

Swooper
2011-10-21, 05:32 AM
Also, if you want the outsider type for some reason, there's a feat for that. Otherworldly. It's from some FR book, can't remember which one.

Alleran
2011-10-21, 05:41 AM
Also, if you want the outsider type for some reason, there's a feat for that. Otherworldly. It's from some FR book, can't remember which one.
Races of Faerun, I think.

panaikhan
2011-10-21, 07:18 AM
I'm sure I've seen a variant on the WOTC boards that let you start as a LA+0 Tiefling, and allow you to take a 'race level' later on.
This is exactly what someon in my WLD campaign did. (They also found some justifiable fluff and RP'd the continuation into half-fiend).

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-21, 07:47 AM
Player's Guide to Faerun.

Feytalist
2011-10-21, 07:51 AM

Although the limitations of race are Deep Imaskari, elf and spiritfolk. Can be houseruled away relatively easily though.