PDA

View Full Version : Positive & Negative Elementals?

Codemus
2011-10-21, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, whats up? I'll get straight to my question. You see, I was just thinking about how the elemental planes all have their own elementals (naturaly). But I have no clue as to whether the Positive or Negative Energy Planes have their own version.

It seems to me like they should, but I don't have all the monster manuals so I might be missing them. So how about it, do they exist? Cause if not then I’m going to have to homebrew them, and I’d rather not. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-10-21, 12:37 PM
I ah...seem to remember some Positive Energy Elementals in a Living Greyhawk adventure set in Bissel. Not sure where they got them from. I remember that when they hit you, you gained Temp HP. Unfortunately for you, if your Temp HP = Max HP, you explode from awesomeness. When my character faught them, we had a "healer" with a bow standing back and shooting my "tank" character in the back to peel off some of the excess temp HP he was accumulating.

It was...an amusing encounter to say the least.

Codemus
2011-10-21, 12:40 PM
I ah...seem to remember some Positive Energy Elementals in a Living Greyhawk adventure set in Bissel. Not sure where they got them from. I remember that when they hit you, you gained Temp HP. Unfortunately for you, if your Temp HP = Max HP, you explode from awesomeness. When my character faught them, we had a "healer" with a bow standing back and shooting my "tank" character in the back to peel off some of the excess temp HP he was accumulating.

It was...an amusing encounter to say the least.

Nice, though I'd have to dial it down for my use if I ever find it. I'm homebrewing a class that gets their choice (positive or negative) as a summon, and the class already does the 'your head asplode' hp gain. :smallbiggrin:

Zaq
2011-10-21, 12:45 PM
Are you familiar with the xag-ya and xeg-yi? They're outsiders, not elementals, but they fill a similar role.

tyckspoon
2011-10-21, 12:49 PM
Are you familiar with the xag-ya and xeg-yi? They're outsiders, not elementals, but they fill a similar role.

Was going to mention these. Manual of the Planes is the most recent stats for them, I think; there's also the Vivacious and Entropic templates in the Planar Handbook, which make Positive Plane native and Negative Plane native creatures respectively. Apply those to an appropriate base and you get a reasonable 'elemental', or at least something to stand in for Salamanders/the various genies/other elemental beings that aren't the "solid chunk of (Plane)" kind.

Codemus
2011-10-21, 12:50 PM
Oh yeah, the Energons. Those two would work as options, if true elementals can't be found. Though I don't have the book that those two are in, so I'm back where I started. :smallsmile:

EDIT: That sounds great tyckspoon. I'll have to try and find that book for sure now. That could be exactly what I need.

myancey
2011-10-21, 12:50 PM
I don't have the book on me, but I believe that Bastion of Broken Souls (3.0 18th level adventure) has some form of positive energy creature...could be wrong. It'd need to be restated to 3.5, of course.

Big Fau
2011-10-21, 01:15 PM
Was going to mention these. Manual of the Planes is the most recent stats for them, I think; there's also the Vivacious and Entropic templates in the Planar Handbook, which make Positive Plane native and Negative Plane native creatures respectively. Apply those to an appropriate base and you get a reasonable 'elemental', or at least something to stand in for Salamanders/the various genies/other elemental beings that aren't the "solid chunk of (Plane)" kind.

They were reprinted in a Expedition module. Not sure which though.