PDA

View Full Version : Class combining feats stack?

crouchingmoose
2011-10-21, 05:38 PM
Do class combining feats for the same 2 classes stack bonuses?

Example: Ascetic psion and tashalatora both increase AC by the psion level, so would you get to count your psion levels twice?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-21, 05:41 PM
Without knowing the particulars, I doubt it.

gdiddy
2011-10-21, 05:45 PM
It depends on the type of bonus. I know Paladin and a couple other sources boost saves by Cha and that untyped "Class" bonus can be stacked, as long as no language prevents it in the ability.

Psyren
2011-10-21, 05:55 PM
Ascetic Psion:

"...If you have levels in psion and monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus."
"...If you would be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC, you can instead add your intelligence bonus to AC."

Tashalatora:

"Your levels in the psionic class you chose for Monastic Training stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus..."

So the question is - if you choose "Psion" as your psionic class, do you get to double-dip?

My gut is no, but I don't see anything off the bat that would actually prevent it. You definitely only get Int to AC once though.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 06:16 PM
Ascetic psion and tashalatora both increase AC by the psion level, so would you get to count your psion levels twice?
That's not at all what they say, since Psyren provided the quotes. Both say you get to stack Monk and Psion/psionic class levels, then you look up the AC adjustment. If Psion = psionic class, you're stacking them with either one. A stacking option is "allow to add", not "add regardless". Neither feat says "increase AC by <whatever> level", because the AC increase is done via table lookup rather than formula.

crouchingmoose
2011-10-21, 08:02 PM
That's not at all what they say, since Psyren provided the quotes. Both say you get to stack Monk and Psion/psionic class levels, then you look up the AC adjustment. If Psion = psionic class, you're stacking them with either one. A stacking option is "allow to add", not "add regardless". Neither feat says "increase AC by <whatever> level", because the AC increase is done via table lookup rather than formula.

Thanks, that what I thought it was...I just kept getting a bunch of people at my LGS telling me to take them both and that they could be stacked.

Quietus
2011-10-21, 08:07 PM
Looking at the wording of it, I would say no. Both use the phrase "Your psion and monk levels stack..", not some kind of bonus or addition.

Psyren
2011-10-22, 06:46 AM
It is worth noting that both feats are in the same book (and are likely intended to be taken by the same character - a multiclass monk/psion.) If the intent was for them not to stack they could have easily said so. But WotC has made larger mistakes as well.

kulosle
2011-10-23, 04:23 AM
its still a good idea to take both. the added abilities that ascetic psion gives you is pretty nice. int to ac instead of wis and PP to unarmed strike is still useful. there are a 1-3 other ways of switching you ac to be based of int but i can't recall them. see my sig for the link
and tash ups your monk abilites and the ascetic psion does not