PDA

View Full Version : In need of a Drawer.

Ra_Va
2011-10-21, 06:16 PM
I am currently in the process of planning to DM a campaign that I plan to make into a comic. No style in mind for this project.

Recruitment thread for the campaign can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219518)

Kaytara
2011-10-22, 02:59 AM
To the best of my knowledge, a drawer is the type of thing you can buy at Ikea.

...Okay, but seriously, if you want to make an impression, especially if advertising how you're planning to make a comic (which requires, you know, writing skills)... well, you get the idea.

Good luck, though.

Ra_Va
2011-10-22, 06:53 PM
Alright, I will need an illustrator for a webcomic that will be a record of the campaign posted above, The overall storyline so far is that and army of Daragor worshipers, mostly seawolves, are attacking a small coastal Kingdom. The setting will mostly take place in coastal areas, but many terrains will be involved, as well as many creatures and races of D&D and fantasy in general inspiration. As Sea Wolves will be a common thing to draw I will require a drawing of a Sea Wolf (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060929a) to see your style and skill.

Domochevsky
2011-10-22, 08:03 PM
Mhm. So... what will you bring to the table for this? Just the plot? Because that's not much for what you're asking for here. >_>

Ra_Va
2011-10-23, 01:38 AM
Mhm. So... what will you bring to the table for this? Just the plot? Because that's not much for what you're asking for here. >_>

Essentially, distribution, this is a small time project that's following a forum based campaign which, lets be honest, will be slow paced as most tend to be, unless this picks up numerous oddly active members. This is not a large project though I realize the time it will take to read the thread and draw the pages. Granted this is my first attempt at a Webcomic.

Honestly for a small project Distribution of the comic seems to be the only issue in mine, other then money but realistically I cannot afford to pay someone to do this, so this illustrator will have do this out of just wanting to get his/her work out there. I want someone who will enjoy doing this.

Whoa got of track anyway i meant to ask what should I be bringing tot he table other then the plot and distribution.

flumphy
2011-10-23, 04:16 AM
Essentially, distribution, this is a small time project that's following a forum based campaign which, lets be honest, will be slow paced as most tend to be, unless this picks up numerous oddly active members. This is not a large project though I realize the time it will take to read the thread and draw the pages. Granted this is my first attempt at a Webcomic.

Honestly for a small project Distribution of the comic seems to be the only issue in mine, other then money but realistically I cannot afford to pay someone to do this, so this illustrator will have do this out of just wanting to get his/her work out there. I want someone who will enjoy doing this.

Whoa got of track anyway i meant to ask what should I be bringing tot he table other then the plot and distribution.

Adapting a comic from a purely textual medium is a lot of work, even when the original is very visual and well-written. You're essentially asking someone to both write and illustrate this thing.

And on top of that, it's obvious that the original product is not going to be well-written. So far, you have proven yourself incapable of basic things like grammar and capitalization, let alone the ability to form a well-crafted plot. Out of your potential players, few seem to be much better. And so that's a ton of editing work on top of the already big task.

Add to that the fact that this is a PbP game, and thus very likely to die a premature death. Indeed, there's a possibility the game may never even get off the ground.

Sorry to be harsh, but I get the feeling you didn't really think this through. You had a neat idea, but you should really put more work into your presentation and wait until your campaign has matured a bit before you solicit help for a project like this one.

Ra_Va
2011-10-23, 02:57 PM
Adapting a comic from a purely textual medium is a lot of work, even when the original is very visual and well-written. You're essentially asking someone to both write and illustrate this thing.

And on top of that, it's obvious that the original product is not going to be well-written. So far, you have proven yourself incapable of basic things like grammar and capitalization, let alone the ability to form a well-crafted plot. Out of your potential players, few seem to be much better. And so that's a ton of editing work on top of the already big task.

Add to that the fact that this is a PbP game, and thus very likely to die a premature death. Indeed, there's a possibility the game may never even get off the ground.

Sorry to be harsh, but I get the feeling you didn't really think this through. You had a neat idea, but you should really put more work into your presentation and wait until your campaign has matured a bit before you solicit help for a project like this one.

-.- can't to prove you wrong, I'm looking for an illustrator not a co-writter and their duties will only extend to the drawing. Don't mistake my relaxed attitude for stupidity.

Howler Dagger
2011-10-23, 03:16 PM
I could be an editor, if you wish. I could help with both correcting grammar and spelling, and with taking what was posted into usable material for a comic.

Domochevsky
2011-10-23, 03:54 PM
In that case i suggest you make at least one script happen first, so artists can check out what to do without having to read the entire thing. :smallwink:

Thanqol
2011-10-23, 09:14 PM
From my experience on the internet, you can get a really cheap one-figure commission for about $5 from a decent artist on DeviantArt. A better picture might be $20, $30 if it's coloured. You're asking for possibly hundreds of complex drawings in exchange for $0. I'm not super enthusiastic about your chances.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-25, 01:20 PM
-.- can't to prove you wrong, I'm looking for an illustrator not a co-writter and their duties will only extend to the drawing.

I feel like the above only reinforces his concerns. In a single sentence in which you respond to his concerns over your lack of contribution and grammar/spelling errors, you have both grammar and spelling problems, and you really don't explain anything that addresses his concerns

I view this similar to the requests for people to make a video game for you because you have an idea for the plot. How 'bout...if I'm doing all that actual work that I'm not being paid for, I use my own ideas?

If you don't actually have anything in hand to contribute, it's damned hard to attract skilled people.