PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for Specific Prestige Class

TelemontTanthul
2011-10-21, 07:16 PM
Hey everyone, just a quick question that may take a long time to answer.

I'm looking for a Prestige class that specializes in dominating people's minds. What would be best for that?

The idea is that I want to have a character that can control a substantial amount of people (enough to eventually build him a castle. Yes, he has some issues)

The level of mental domination would preferably be enough to command them like mind slaves, but if a little intimidation or persuasion is necessary, I won't worry about it.

Here is the class I am taking:

Beguiler (Currently level 5)

Here is the current plan for a prestige class:

Mind Bender (Taking it next level) (Found in Complete Arcane)

So am I going about this right? Or is there a better prestige class (or even base class) that will help me?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-10-21, 07:28 PM
For the record, anything more than one level of mindbender is a trap. If you were using psionics instead of beguiler, Thrallherd would be the perfect fit for you.

TelemontTanthul
2011-10-21, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of just taking the first level of Mindbender, for the Telepathy.

What book is the Thrallherd in?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-21, 07:36 PM
He ca get into thrallerd as he only needs mindlink and Ml 5, so a dip into ardent and PM would cover that (he would also need to retrain a feat into inquisitor). It would be a tad MAD though; but if the Op is willing to dip psion instead of ardent he would keep int manifesting but no level 9 Powers

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-10-21, 08:29 PM
It's in Expanded Psionics Handbook, which is also online here (more or less) for free. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm)

TelemontTanthul
2011-10-22, 01:29 AM
Ah, well I have all the books, I just didn't want to waste time searching through them.

So then, it sounds like Thrallherd is the way to go?

Wouldn't I have to take 5 levels of Psion (or some other Psi-casting class) in order to take the prestige class?

Psyren
2011-10-22, 07:11 AM
Just wanted to note that Mindbender has a psionic adaptation (CArc pg. 54) so you can actually have the best of both worlds - a Telepath 5/Mindbender 1/Thrallherd 10 for instance.

Even better, the 4 ranks in diplomacy are shared by both PrCs.

TelemontTanthul
2011-10-22, 12:57 PM
Okay, so far I am loving the idea of the Thrallherd.

What book is the Telepath in? I quickly glanced at all my psionic books and didn't catch it.

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 01:00 PM
Telepath is the name of a Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm) specializing in the Telepath discipline.

Conveniently, you get bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive as class skills.

TelemontTanthul
2011-10-22, 02:37 PM
Ah. Thank you.

I notice that with the Thrallherd, they have a Quasi-Leadership trait. Currently, the character I have would only amount to a total of 9

15 Charisma (+2 Modifier)
Level 6 Minimum to take the class (+6, total +8)
Level 1 Thrallherd (Gets counted a second time, +1, Total +9)

Are there any feats I can take that would improve that Leadership score of 9?

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 02:51 PM
Although it might be a bit out of your price range, the Breastplate of Command adds 2 to your Leadership score.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-22, 08:38 PM
Other than increases of cha I don't another way to increase the Thrallherd score, other than that I don't know due this clause:

This score is not affected by any of the modifiers mentioned in the Leadership feat.

So I am not sure if the breastplate of command would count, still as always asking your DM is the best option.

Venger
2011-11-16, 02:16 AM
if you wanted to go a different route and not have to deal with that pesky "limit of followers" thing, you could always roll evangelist (complete divine) and focus on boosting your cha to stupid levels.

you get to demoralise enemies in combat with a bardic music like effect (any enemy who hears you takes -4 to everything as long as you talk +3 rounds) you get to make rushed diplomacy checks at -5 instead of-10 and the 5th lvl capstone is converting an enemy w/in 30 feet of you (will 10+class lvl + cha mod, get that cha up) if he fails, he adopts your alignment and is affected as though by charm monster. when the time's up (no duration given.class lvl+5 seems seems reasonable since that's the CL for its fire shield ability) he gets to choose whether he wants to stay this way (in which case you pretend that you atoned him) or go back (in which case you can always just zap him again. there is no clause about immunity and you can do this literally all the time if you want)

there is no limit to how many people you can control like this. single out powerful enemies in noncombat scenarios (sounds like your MO anyway) and make them your friends.

you also get some other random stuff like skill mastery with some social skills and fire shield

this is not a particularly easy class to enter (buncha ranks in social skills and negotiator or persuasive) nor is it particularly difficult. you need at least 13 ranks in perform (oratory) to convert people (but don't worry, you don't ever make a perform roll to do anything in this class)

have fun with your infinite army of acolytes!

kulosle
2011-11-16, 10:18 AM
I was about to mention the Evangelist, but it appears that someone beat me to it. It is a really fun class to play but talk to you DM first because it really messes up some campaigns. Neither me nor my DM new how easy it is to abuse this class and I ended up just talking everyone into revealing the plot. Although when I used it I combined it with the Agony Mage (don't play this class) which makes all NPCs start of as at least friendly or better. so it was really easy.

ILM
2011-11-16, 10:32 AM
Alternatively if you don't like psionics (though it seems from previous posts that won't be a problem), Thrallherd is fairly easy to adapt to arcane casting. Find similar requirements and instead of reducing the pp cost of psionic charm and dominate, just play around with the level/CL of charm, dominate person and dominate monster.