PDA

View Full Version : Templates to add to a cleric

claypigeons
2011-10-21, 09:03 PM
My Google-fu is not strong, so I am beseeching the Playground for knowledge.

I'm joining a campaign as a 3rd level cleric. I know I will be at least semi-responsible for maintaining the health of my party members, and also probably smacking around the odd baddy. More or less cookie-cutter cleric-y stuff.

However, the dm is allowing "free" templates. We can have up to LA+4 (from one or more templates) to make up for a undermanned crew.

So... basically, what are some good templates to use? Half-Celestial is kind of obvious. Pretty much any 3.5 material is available, but I don't have books with me... hence the query.

_flint_
2011-10-21, 09:50 PM
My Google-fu is not strong, so I am beseeching the Playground for knowledge.

I'm joining a campaign as a 3rd level cleric. I know I will be at least semi-responsible for maintaining the health of my party members, and also probably smacking around the odd baddy. More or less cookie-cutter cleric-y stuff.

However, the dm is allowing "free" templates. We can have up to LA+4 (from one or more templates) to make up for a undermanned crew.

So... basically, what are some good templates to use? Half-Celestial is kind of obvious. Pretty much any 3.5 material is available, but I don't have books with me... hence the query.

well, it depends by "free" does your DM mean that you don't need to meet the prerequisites either? in that case, i'd go with saint. i'll get back to you on others i'd think will be helpful without goofy prereqs.

claypigeons
2011-10-21, 10:28 PM
well, it depends by "free" does your DM mean that you don't need to meet the prerequisites either? in that case, i'd go with saint. i'll get back to you on others i'd think will be helpful without goofy prereqs.

"Free" meaning it won't count against me as far as ECL/experience and what not. I start at level 3, and even with a +4la template, I would still gain exp as a 3rd level character (assuming I'm understanding my DM correctly, that is. :smalleek:).

Dumbledore lives
2011-10-21, 10:29 PM
Pixie. Everyone likes the invisible impossible to hit healer.

Elric VIII
2011-10-21, 10:35 PM
It's more for style points, but Lich is a pretty cool LA +4 template. If you can dodge paying for the Phylactery, it's not bad.

Even better, for a Cleric, is Dry Lich from Sandstorm. It replaces Con with Cha when determining hp.

Here is something that may help. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List)

Andion Isurand
2011-10-21, 10:42 PM
perhaps you could customize a half-celestial template in the same way the half-fiend templates are customized in the link below, and give yourself +8 wisdom among other things in a +4 LA template.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 10:42 PM
You say undermanned and party members, so 3 person party?

Ignoring that healing isn't all that viable

Phrenic is crazy when paired with Magic in the Blood (or was that magic blooded) for more uses. Half-Fey (somewhere on wizard's site) is also viable.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-21, 10:44 PM
You say undermanned and party members, so 3 person party?

Ignoring that healing isn't all that viable

Phrenic is crazy when paired with Magic in the Blood (or was that magic blooded) for more uses. Half-Fey (somewhere on wizard's site) is also viable.

But Magic-blooded (from Dragon 306) reduces wisdom.

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 10:50 PM
Then it was Magic in the Blood (some FR book).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-21, 10:53 PM
If you want to go CODzilla Half-Dragon+Mineral Warrior will do very nicely. Lower your Str and Con rolls/stat distribution and pump Wis and Cha. Shame you lose any wings you may get from Half-Dragon but you'd have a good starting Str and Con so your less dependent on things like Divine Power. I still suggest using Divine Power, just you can kick butt without it, or you can kick serious butt with it.

EDIT: Half-Dragon Half-Giant may be another if you can get Mineral Warrior approved. Do Half-Giant's have a wis penalty? IIRC, wisdom rarely takes a racial penalty for just about anything.

gorfnab
2011-10-21, 10:53 PM
But Magic-blooded (from Dragon 306) reduces wisdom.
He meant the feat Magic in the Blood from Players Guide to Faerun.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-21, 11:00 PM
I'll agree that a variant Half-Celestial would be the top choice, both mechanically and for RP purposes. Just be sure you base it on a high-Wis outsider that has wings.

If that's not available, Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) + Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) on a race that can pick Magic in the Blood (PGtF) (Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Planetouched, and Spirit Folk) will make all the 1/day spell/psi-like abilities usable 3/day instead.

Otherwise check out the tier system for templates (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7044.0), 4/5 Ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) is extremely strong, or maybe go Shadow Creature + Dark Creature + Quasilycanthrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) if you don't want/need ability score bonuses.

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 11:02 PM
EDIT: Half-Dragon Half-Giant may be another if you can get Mineral Warrior approved. Do Half-Giant's have a wis penalty? IIRC, wisdom rarely takes a racial penalty for just about anything.

Nope, no wis hit +2 str +2 con -2dex.

Unless going for Psionic stuff, go Golaith.

Actually, if healing, Druid is better than Cleric at level 7 until Heal comes into play due to access to SNA4->Unicorn.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-21, 11:18 PM
perhaps you could customize a half-celestial template in the same way the half-fiend templates are customized in the link below, and give yourself +8 wisdom among other things in a +4 LA template.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Going straight off SRD, if this is allowed, I'd do Solar => Planetar => Astral Deva. All have good stats, including Wisdom. The progression is simply if DM says "No, your dad can't be a Solar."

Solars have highest in Str (good for CoDzilla) then Cha/Wis tied for second.

Lets see, Fly (Base Speed) (Average, or would it be good?), +5 Natural Armor, a Slam attack, Smite Good, whatever appropriate SLA's, Darkvision out to 60 feet, Immunity to disease, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10, Damage reduction: 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more), A half-celestial’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35), +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison, Str +6,+2 Int Wis +4, Cha +4. Pretty darn good. Too bad Con wasn't boosted (second lowest tied with Dex) but bonuses to just about everything else important to a Cleric.

_flint_
2011-10-21, 11:30 PM
Half-fey/nymph is good, seeing as you get bonuses to dex, int, and wis and a sizeable bonus to cha. choose fey for spell-like abilities and wings, nymph for the terrifying beauty aura.

i prefer half fey myself.

Ghuls get good ability score enhancements, plus undead features, bonuses to turning, a bite attack with paralysis and crit resistance. The only reason not to play this would be the inherent creepyness and the cannibalisim requirements

Katanes are similar, but with blood drinking, spider climb, and charm person instead of the ghoul stuff

Ghosts are very good since they are pretty much un-hittable, fly, move through walls, and even if they die, the come back in a few days (unless they're put to rest) they've also got some nice abilities and a charisma bonus

sacred watcher gives deathless and incorporeal traits, a charisma bonus, and a positive energy attack. very similar to the ghost

half-illithid seems good but i did'nt see the LA

those are the ones i couls find, hope it helps

Alleran
2011-10-22, 12:56 AM
The Saint template is extremely good for just a +2 LA, especially on a cleric.

Calanon
2011-10-22, 01:20 AM
The Saint template is extremely good for just a +2 LA, especially on a cleric.

There should be a template similar to the saint template for evil Clerics however :smallannoyed: WHY!? WHY IS THERE NO EVIL VERSION OF THE VoP!? T_T

PetterTomBos
2011-10-22, 01:59 AM
I always found it fun to play a centaur :)

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-22, 04:14 AM
plant awakened by a maximized empowered awaken spell will probably net you the highest int, wiz, chr.

Snerfnibblers get some fun stuff.

sprites are cool too.

A half goristro jermlaine would be hilarious.

Medic!
2011-10-22, 04:26 AM
A half goristro jermlaine would be hilarious.

This brings so many questions to mind..."Did the big one just....and the little one surely didn't.....oh my dear sweet Deneir..."

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-22, 04:45 AM
This brings so many questions to mind..."Did the big one just....and the little one surely didn't.....oh my dear sweet Deneir..."

It's wrong both ways.

lol

anyways you probably could use your +4 LA to make a pretty sweet jermlaine. You probably won't end up being a combat cleric but you could get a nice wisdom going.

SiuiS
2011-10-22, 05:11 AM
If you want to go CODzilla Half-Dragon+Mineral Warrior will do very nicely. Lower your Str and Con rolls/stat distribution and pump Wis and Cha. Shame you lose any wings you may get from Half-Dragon but you'd have a good starting Str and Con so your less dependent on things like Divine Power. I still suggest using Divine Power, just you can kick butt without it, or you can kick serious butt with it.

the feat "jotunbrud" requires you to be a human, but makes you large. It's like powerful build except just "you count as large as long as it's beneficial". Opens up bigger weapons, half dragon wings, and if you can get the prereqs taken care of you can be a halfling who is both large and small :smallsmile:

I suggest Vivacious creature; LA +3, incorporeal, flight, fast eal 5, and a positive energy aura Salinger all living creatures within ten feat by 1 point a round. It's suppressible, too. If you take a level hit and pick up it's opposite, entropic creature (+2 LA) you also get a negative energy aura, suppressible, does 1 damage per round in 10 feat. Both stacked does nothing. Suppress the negative aura around allies for constant healing (and free full heals at the end of every fight :smallsmile:) and suppress the healing aura when surrounded by enemies so they all die slowly. Totally worth being a 2nd level cleric, because your job is always getting done no matter what.

I'll find sources in a minute. Would I be able to post the specific details in abbreviated form if needed? Unclear on the rules for posting content.

EDIT: both templates are from the Planar Handbook. Entropic creature page 123, Vivacious creature page 131. Total gain is +4 con, +4 Cha, and a 60' ray, once every 1d4 rounds, that does 1d4+CHA damage; either positive energy or negative energy. Which means you can stabilize an Ally once every 1d4 rounds by pointing your finger and going "pew pew!"

The phantom template (greater or lesser variants exist based on CR) doesn't have a listed LA but you could talk your DM into letting you have it so you can still touch physical objects. Or you could just ask to dropthe incorporeality, which would lower the LA of Vivacious creature to +2.

Man, I've wanted to play an Entropic vivacious creature for SOOO long and SOOO bad...

Retech
2011-10-22, 07:14 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold > Another color other than white dragonspawn abomination

Then take three cleric levels and follow that with mystic theurge for no lost caster levels. Mwahahahaha

I think you can even combine that with Saint, since there are many dragonspawn abominations that are +1 ot +2 LA. Say in your background that you are one of the special abominations that have acquired the best possible sorcerer casting you can get from that, and it's like +4 something sorcerer levels (which works well since you'll already have high char).

That way, you can cover arcane and divine. In terms of what you're getting, it's practically Gestalt, except without the good saves, I suppose.

hex0
2011-10-22, 07:56 AM
I'm putting in my vote for half-celestial as well.

Be sure to tell your spontaneous caster in your party to take Half-Dragon and take the Dragon Mystic PRC from Dragon #296. So....good.

(Or just play it yourself.)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-22, 10:56 AM
the feat "jotunbrud" requires you to be a human, but makes you large. It's like powerful build except just "you count as large as long as it's beneficial". Opens up bigger weapons, half dragon wings, and if you can get the prereqs taken care of you can be a halfling who is both large and small :smallsmile:

So what do you propose for the other +1? Mineral Warrior is out as you lose the wings you just burned a feat on. I can't think of anything that will help off the top of my head.

hex0
2011-10-22, 03:35 PM
Question: Does this also negate racial hit die?

claypigeons
2011-10-22, 06:24 PM
Question: Does this also negate racial hit die?

Sadly no, racial hit dice would still count against ECL.

Thank you all for the quick and (extremely) useful replies! :smallcool:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-22, 06:44 PM
That reminds me, Tauric (SS) Human + Lammasu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm) would get everything the Lammasu has except the Darkvision and Low-Light Vision, along with the racial HD, plus the mental stats of a Human, for only +2 LA, and you would get 7th level Cleric spellcasting for those 7 HD of Monstrous Humanoid, along with two domains, and a single level of Cleric would give you two more domains and continue advancing your spellcasting. You could throw another +2 LA template onto there for mental stats, such as Phrenic.

_flint_
2011-10-23, 11:35 AM
There should be a template similar to the saint template for evil Clerics however :smallannoyed: WHY!? WHY IS THERE NO EVIL VERSION OF THE VoP!? T_T

Same with paladins.

Metahuman1
2011-10-23, 07:34 PM
It's more for style points, but Lich is a pretty cool LA +4 template. If you can dodge paying for the Phylactery, it's not bad.

Even better, for a Cleric, is Dry Lich from Sandstorm. It replaces Con with Cha when determining hp.

Here is something that may help. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List)

There's a ritual in one of the Eberron books, I think players guide to Eberron, you should be able to put in your background that helps you if you use Regular Lich. It applies Cha to hp. And since with regular lich you Con no longer applies to your hp, you don't have to invest a roll or point buy points into con. Just get items to help your Concentration check and the occasional fort save, thought your immune to most of the things you'd need to fort save against.

A simple Refluff of the ritual would allow for virtually any RP option.

hex0
2011-10-23, 08:27 PM
That reminds me, Tauric (SS) Human + Lammasu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm) would get everything the Lammasu has except the Darkvision and Low-Light Vision, along with the racial HD, plus the mental stats of a Human, for only +2 LA, and you would get 7th level Cleric spellcasting for those 7 HD of Monstrous Humanoid, along with two domains, and a single level of Cleric would give you two more domains and continue advancing your spellcasting. You could throw another +2 LA template onto there for mental stats, such as Phrenic.

Phrenic is meant for Monsters (SRD's words not mine). And the player is starting at level 3, so I don't think it would be approriate to start with only party of the racial hit die. I was going to suggest Drider until I re-read first post.

I think Half-Celestial is the holy grail for this character. Pun intended. You can also be a nice Favored Soul/Prestige Paladin as well with those stats.

Barring something ridiculous that popped into my head, like a Dark Half-Dragon Lantern Archon.