PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing SR

Elric VIII
2011-10-21, 10:37 PM
Aside from CL increases, are there any items that aid in SR penetration?

Custom items of at-will True Casting/Assay Spell Resistance will not work.

Flickerdart
2011-10-21, 10:48 PM
A Third Eye Penetrate (XPH) gives a +2 bonus to ML to overcome PR. You could make a case to your DM that this should help with CL and SR as well.

Calanon
2011-10-21, 11:14 PM
Spell Vulnerability can lower SR by 1/level (max 15), if you cast that on something near your CR with SR than you probably won't need to cast it again.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-10-21, 11:18 PM
Conjuration (creation) laughs in the face of SR: Whatever.

Big Fau
2011-10-21, 11:27 PM
A Third Eye Penetrate (XPH) gives a +2 bonus to ML to overcome PR. You could make a case to your DM that this should help with CL and SR as well.

"Make a case" nothing, it falls under Transparency and affects both.

Diefje
2011-10-21, 11:51 PM
Conjuration (creation) laughs in the face of SR: Whatever.

Or Bluff it into dropping its SR for the round!

Dimers
2011-10-21, 11:55 PM
Or Bluff it into dropping its SR for the round!

Yes, glibness and tongues are two spells very useful for reducing enemy SR. :smallsmile:

DeAnno
2011-10-22, 12:26 AM
A Ring of Arcane Supremacy from Complete Mage, at 12,000gp, lets you reroll an SR check 3x per day. (Arcane or Invocations only)

Keld Denar
2011-10-22, 12:29 AM
Arcane Mastery from Complete Arcane let's you take 10 on all CL checks. That includes SR checks and dispel checks.

Psyren
2011-10-22, 09:09 AM
If you somehow turn the spell Supernatural (e.g. Dweomerkeeper) it will ignore SR entirely, no muss no fuss.

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 09:52 AM
"Make a case" nothing, it falls under Transparency and affects both.
Oh, does it? I couldn't remember if that hit items too, or just spells and powers.

hex0
2011-10-22, 10:32 AM
Duskblades and Spellthiefs can lower or steal it.

Bakkan
2011-10-22, 10:39 AM
Factota can ignore it for a round by spending Inspiration points.

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-22, 11:40 AM
Oh, does it? I couldn't remember if that hit items too, or just spells and powers.

MIC has it giving +2 caster level ONLY, with no mention of ML.

Psyren
2011-10-22, 12:07 PM

From the SRD:

"Psionics-Magic Transparency

Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics."

There you have it :smallsmile:

What it doesn't affect is feats - so no applying metamagic to psionics or vice-versa.

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 12:53 PM

This works.

Sadly, none of the other suggestions will works, seeing as this is for a divine caster.

Are there any more items like this that stack?

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-22, 12:58 PM
This works.

Sadly, none of the other suggestions will works, seeing as this is for a divine caster.

Well, if you're a cleric, you can take the Trickery Domain and get Bluff as a class skill. Bluffing to lower SR does work, just offer to slap a lesser vigor on them and as soon as they drop their SR, BOOM! Harm, and a Quickened Inflict Critical Wounds.

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 01:45 PM
This works.

Eh, a divine caster has absolutely no problem pumping their CL essentially as much as they feel like with things like Divine Spell Power, special holy symbols and so forth. What's wrong with just pushing that particular avenue?

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 02:32 PM
Eh, a divine caster has absolutely no problem pumping their CL essentially as much as they feel like with things like Divine Spell Power, special holy symbols and so forth. What's wrong with just pushing that particular avenue?

I already am. We just keep fighting these huge-CR ousiders and SR is becoming hard to beat. We're level 19, and we keep facing these CR 25+ things. It becomes a bit hard to bypass SR 35-40.

EDIT: By the way, when using Divine Spell Power, do items that increase my effective Cleric level for Turning also affect the CL increase?

For example, a 10th level cleric with Phylactery of Undead Turning has a turning level of 14th. If he uses Divine Spell Power and rolls a 12 on his check (Cleric level +0) will his spells' CL be set at his effective level of 14?

Re'ozul
2011-10-22, 02:57 PM
A melee hireling with a shattermantle weapon helps. (stacking -2 to SR per hit, lasts one round, +1 enchantment)
Theres also a warlock invocation that reduces SR by 5, sadly this one doesn't stack.

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 05:37 PM
EDIT: By the way, when using Divine Spell Power, do items that increase my effective Cleric level for Turning also affect the CL increase?

For example, a 10th level cleric with Phylactery of Undead Turning has a turning level of 14th. If he uses Divine Spell Power and rolls a 12 on his check (Cleric level +0) will his spells' CL be set at his effective level of 14?
Yes, the roll is still a Turning check, and while you can't get higher than a +4 bonus, you can make the +4 practically guaranteed.

tyckspoon
2011-10-22, 05:56 PM
Yes, the roll is still a Turning check, and while you can't get higher than a +4 bonus, you can make the +4 practically guaranteed.

Didn't actually answer the question.

Answer is No, btw; your Turning Level and Divine Spell Power do not interact at all (Turning Level is used to determine Turn Damage and to determine whether you can Turn or Destroy an undead; since Divine Spell Power doesn't actually involve those parts of Turn Undead, it's irrelevant. DSP only uses the Turning Check chart.)

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 05:59 PM
Oh, was I confusing the "attack" and "damage"? Freakin' Turn Undead.

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 06:28 PM
I figured as much, but I thought I'd ask.

Psyren
2011-10-22, 06:55 PM
I know you said "other than CL increases" but that's really how divine casters roll. Get some Prayer Beads, Orange Ioun Stones, Greater Consumptive Field etc. and rock out.

Elric VIII
2011-10-22, 07:55 PM
I know you said "other than CL increases" but that's really how divine casters roll. Get some Prayer Beads, Orange Ioun Stones, Greater Consumptive Field etc. and rock out.

Definately, I've got a few Beads of Karma, one stone, and Divine Spell Power. I just want to get to the point where nothing resists me.

Psyren
2011-10-22, 08:48 PM
Greater Consumptive Field, walk by anthill, repeat.

Ashram
2011-10-22, 09:55 PM
If there's a rogue in your group, you could always ask if they could take the Undo Resistance feat: Sneak attack something with spell resistance with a cold iron weapon and it reduces their SR by the number of SA dice.

You could also just prepare a bunch of Assay Resistance spells and have Pearls of Power on hand. >.>