PDA

View Full Version : Macgyver-edGreat sword

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 01:14 AM
I am making a Diopsid fighter. For those who don't know, the Diopsid is an antropomorphy beetle with four arems that live in the underdark as mercenaries (the race is in the in the Dragon Magazine Compendium). the idea for my fighter is that he can duel weild great swords, but my problem is that of a role-playing nature. Diopsid's LOVE metal weapons and tools,but are unable to make them themselves. They normaly hire them sleves as mercenaries to obtain metal items and because of this my fighter might not be able to start off with two greatswords.

So my question is this. Is it posiable to make a greatsword out of some other material and can a soicity with out the means to manufacture metal able to make a Macgyver-ed great sword

Weezer
2011-10-22, 01:31 AM
I'd say a large enough Macuahuitl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl) would qualify as a great sword.

Talentless
2011-10-22, 02:48 AM
I am making a Diopsid fighter. For those who don't know, the Diopsid is an antropomorphy beetle with four arems that live in the underdark as mercenaries (the race is in the in the Dragon Magazine Compendium). the idea for my fighter is that he can duel weild great swords, but my problem is that of a role-playing nature. Diopsid's LOVE metal weapons and tools,but are unable to make them themselves. They normaly hire them sleves as mercenaries to obtain metal items and because of this my fighter might not be able to start off with two greatswords.

So my question is this. Is it posiable to make a greatsword out of some other material and can a soicity with out the means to manufacture metal able to make a Macgyver-ed great sword

Pathfinder's Ultimate Combat book contains some rules for non-steel based weapons, and I think includes some stone weapon rules too.

/edit Unfortunately, none of the non-metal substances allows for a greatsword weapon.

Knaight
2011-10-22, 05:39 AM

Take a look at the XPH. There are two types of special crystals which are somehow weapon grade, a greatsword is well within reach. That said, if you are starting at level 1, finances may be an issue.

That said, I don't see why you couldn't have acquired two steel greatswords. Even by level 1, some experience is reasonable, so having gone on an expedition as a mercenary in the background, and picked up the swords there should be fine.

starwoof
2011-10-22, 05:43 AM
Actually mundane crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane) costs the same as a normal masterwork weapon. So if you aren't ECL 1 (which you shouldn't be as Diopsid have +1 LA) then you can afford a pair of them.

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 07:30 AM
Ahhh Diopsid. A quirky and fun alternative to Thri-Kreen.

I do have an odd question reguarding what they can do: Could a Diopsid with a high enough strength 4hand an improperly-sized weapon? My thought is that since they are putting more "strength" into weilding it, and are weilding it with a more stable platform, it could work.

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 12:24 PM
I do have an odd question reguarding what they can do: Could a Diopsid with a high enough strength 4hand an improperly-sized weapon? My thought is that since they are putting more "strength" into weilding it, and are weilding it with a more stable platform, it could work.[/QUOTE]

That is an good question, but it think something was lost in tranlstion. I'm not trying to weild 1 great sword with 4 hands i'm tring to duel weild 2 great swords with two hands each.

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 12:25 PM
That is an good question, but it think something was lost in tranlstion. I'm not trying to weild 1 great sword with 4 hands i'm tring to duel weild 2 great swords with two hands each.

Fully aware. Just asking my own question

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 12:32 PM
Actually mundane crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane) costs the same as a normal masterwork weapon. So if you aren't ECL 1 (which you shouldn't be as Diopsid have +1 LA) then you can afford a pair of them.

yeah but can a group who can't make metal in the frist place be able to forge mundane crystal into weapons and tools?

Also how much gold whould my charter get if the game was a low magic campiane?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-22, 01:19 PM
May I introduce you to the ancient skill of knapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapping). Admittedly, making a great sword in one piece from stone is a bit of a stretch, but this is supposed to be a special material, so it gets a bit of a handwave there.
I am surprised Ironwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm)has not been mentioned.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-22, 01:25 PM
yeah but can a group who can't make metal in the frist place be able to forge mundane crystal into weapons and tools?

Also how much gold whould my charter get if the game was a low magic campiane?
Why can't they forge metal weapons? Lack of a heat source that won't burn down the nest or something?

How much does the DM say you'll get?
You should be getting the same amount of gold whether it's low magic or high magic (wealth by level), it's just a lot more difficult to find and buy the magic items every warrior needs in a low magic campaign.
And since you're looking at some non magical weapons, they shouldn't be hard to find unless the campaign is also low-tech/primitive.

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 01:49 PM

I do have an odd question reguarding what they can do: Could a Diopsid with a high enough strength 4hand an improperly-sized weapon? My thought is that since they are putting more "strength" into weilding it, and are weilding it with a more stable platform, it could work.
Yes, but you take the -4 penalty for improper size like everybody else. A greatsword specifically designed to be wielded in four hands is better, though, as it will add STR an extra time (as per Savage Species).

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 02:04 PM
May I introduce you to the ancient skill of knapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapping). Admittedly, making a great sword in one piece from stone is a bit of a stretch, but this is supposed to be a special material, so it gets a bit of a handwave there.
I am surprised Ironwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm)has not been mentioned.

good though, but the race i want to play starts out deep underground. where would he get ironwood?

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 02:10 PM
Why can't they forge metal weapons? Lack of a heat source that won't burn down the nest or something?

How much does the DM say you'll get?
You should be getting the same amount of gold whether it's low magic or high magic (wealth by level), it's just a lot more difficult to find and buy the magic items every warrior needs in a low magic campaign.
And since you're looking at some non magical weapons, they shouldn't be hard to find unless the campaign is also low-tech/primitive.

1. the book just says that diopsid lack the techincal ablity to make metal so they tend to work as mercenaries in the underdark to get them.

2. The D.M is running a game where you start out with less gold then normal. All i know at the moment is that 1st level charcters start with 200 and 3rd level starts with 1000.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-22, 02:13 PM
good though, but the race i want to play starts out deep underground. where would he get ironwood?
Good point. Ask your DM if an underground druid can cast it on an underground fungus? The underdark has its own ecology and therefore its own protectors.

Chronos
2011-10-22, 08:17 PM
The problem with ironwood is that it's limited duration.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-22, 08:35 PM
It can be made permanent.
It's not on the permanency list, but the list includes a caveat for the DM to add more.

Ziegander
2011-10-22, 11:24 PM
Diopsid's LOVE metal weapons and tools,but are unable to make them themselves. They normaly hire them sleves as mercenaries to obtain metal items and because of this my fighter might not be able to start off with two greatswords.

Has your character never ever been outside of his Diopsid homeland? If so, how is he meeting the other, presumably not Diopsid, PCs? If he has been outside of his homeland, then presumably he's been to cities inhabited by other races than the Diopsid and, like anyone else, is perfectly capable of walking up to a weapons vendor and saying, "hey, do you have any greatswords for sale, good sir?" to which the vendor will answer, "verily, good Diopsid, I surely do!"

I'm confused.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-22, 11:28 PM
OOH OOH!
Kaorti resin!! It's not metal, really its'snot! It's evil outsider snot
Ok, I think I'm done here for the night. The stuff is generally superior to metal weapons, though it is probably a little expensive for a low wealth or low magic campaign.

Redshirt traine
2011-10-22, 11:32 PM
Has your character never ever been outside of his Diopsid homeland? If so, how is he meeting the other, presumably not Diopsid, PCs? If he has been outside of his homeland, then presumably he's been to cities inhabited by other races than the Diopsid and, like anyone else, is perfectly capable of walking up to a weapons vendor and saying, "hey, do you have any greatswords for sale, good sir?" to which the vendor will answer, "verily, good Diopsid, I surely do!"

I'm confused.

Most diopsid are deathly afrid of the outside world. Qutoing the book,"Diopsids see the realms above as a terrible place of fearful ordeals, dangerous monsters, and horrific peril. The air moves and slashes, the ground slopes high into unimaginable reaches of the ether, and torrents of endless water batter the earth in an endless assault. A diopsid who ventures to the surface is regarded as a mighty hero, one worthy of the highest praises".

All and all, yeah you maybe right. If the weapon vendor dosn't kill him on sight.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-22, 11:36 PM
Most diopsid are deathly afrid of the outside world. Qutoing the book,"Diopsids see the realms above as a terrible place of fearful ordeals, dangerous monsters, and horrific peril. The air moves and slashes, the ground slopes high into unimaginable reaches of the ether, and torrents of endless water batter the earth in an endless assault. A diopsid who ventures to the surface is regarded as a mighty hero, one worthy of the highest praises".

That actually sounds pretty cool.
But what about "The realms alongside"? You know, the other underdark cities? You could've gotten something there. Or maybe even in one of your daring excursions prior to becoming a first level creature (you hardly see a 1st level fighter who's never held a weapon before, they always have a little experience before the start of the game).

Ziegander
2011-10-22, 11:36 PM

If you use that logic, then you shouldn't be allowed to play a Diopsid Adventurer at all. Of course, if you are playing a Diopsid Adventurer it only stands to reason that vanishingly little of that applies to you.

Remember, most humans think that running around fighting monsters and investigating tombs is insane, and yet people play Human Adventurers all the time.

Kymme
2011-10-22, 11:39 PM

DID SOMEONE SAY THRI-KREEN!!!!
Also, I think crysteel might work

Redshirt traine
2011-10-23, 01:33 AM
If you use that logic, then you shouldn't be allowed to play a Diopsid Adventurer at all. Of course, if you are playing a Diopsid Adventurer it only stands to reason that vanishingly little of that applies to you.

Remember, most humans think that running around fighting monsters and investigating tombs is insane, and yet people play Human Adventurers all the time.

The ture adventuer is not the one who fears nothing, but the one who faces thier fears head-on.

Redshirt traine
2011-10-23, 01:37 AM
That actually sounds pretty cool.
But what about "The realms alongside"? You know, the other underdark cities? You could've gotten something there. Or maybe even in one of your daring excursions prior to becoming a first level creature (you hardly see a 1st level fighter who's never held a weapon before, they always have a little experience before the start of the game).

I have to give you that one. you make a good point. i guess it's all up to the D.M. he told me that Drow citys have not been set-up in his game and i kinda picture dwarf as kill it first ask what it is later.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-23, 11:13 AM
"Drow cities have not been set up."
So he doesn't have any preplanned cities, I guess this is a homebrew world? Don't need to have all the information on a town for you to have stopped there and bought a 40gold weapon while passing through.

There's also deep gnomes, duergar, Chitines, Gloamings, Grimlocks, Kuo-toas, Slyths, Derro, Mindflayers, underdark Orcs, Mindflayers, Troglodytes to name a few.
And that's avoiding setting specific races like the Deep Imaskari.

Mystral
2011-10-23, 11:20 AM
There are rules in the DMG to create weapons of stone and bone. Those weapons confer a -2 penality on attacks and damage. Page 144, dunno if it's on the SRD.

byrd-man
2011-10-23, 12:01 PM
i always enjoyed the goliath barbarian ranger who dual wields great swords with the over-sized twf feat... it makes me happy just to think about it... that large build feature should have probably bumped up his LA though...