PDA

View Full Version : Writing Discussions: Where do they go?

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-22, 01:23 AM
It's been a while since I've gotten the itch to seek advice on my own writing, so I have to ask:

Where do you post threads regarding things like short stories and such that you've written yourself? Friendly Banter or Media Discussions?

Dumbledore lives
2011-10-22, 01:26 AM
I think Arts and Crafts is the most likely place to get some responses.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-22, 01:31 AM
Ah, right. Forgot about that. Thank you!

Rawhide
2011-10-22, 01:55 AM
Yeah, Arts and Crafts includes everything creative that you made yourself, or the discussion thereof (including instructions).

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-22, 11:20 AM
One other thing that has me a bit concerned.

One aspect of my writing may fall under forum inappropriate topics, namely that I'm looking to the early history of the Catholic Church in ancient Rome as a template for some things, as well as trying to figure out how the foundation of a religion changes with direct divine intervention and whatnot. I want to make it clear that I mean no disrespect to the Catholic Church or any other branch of Christianity (being one myself), but religious discussion can be a minefield. I'm not planning on talking about modern Christianity, only analyzing its origins and seeing how I could write about something similar in the plot of my own work.

happyturtle
2011-10-22, 12:53 PM
The Giant sez. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11734437&postcount=2)

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-22, 01:10 PM
Thank you. I think I've managed to circumvent that for the most part. The big thing that I'm concerned about is the history, in the sense that I want to be able to write this believably. I mean absolutely no disrespect to any faith when I ask these questions. I'm merely ignorant on how to create a fictional religion realistically.

Zherog
2011-10-22, 07:45 PM
I'm not a mod, so my opinion isn't worth too much. That said...

In my opinion, once you delved into real-world - respectful or otherwise - you'd be crossing the forum's rules.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-22, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've taken out any reference in the thread to real-world religions, historical or otherwise. I confess, I'm really, really nervous about asking these kinds of questions because I've unintentionally broken the forum's rules before and I desperately do not want to be banned for the way I ask for help.

No one's replied to the thread so I have no idea if I offended or not. :smallfrown:

happyturtle
2011-10-23, 07:55 AM
I imagine if anyone was offended, they'd have said so. The Internet usually isn't shy about that sort of thing.

On the other hand, I doubt the mods will allow a discussion of the origin of religion and faith to happen here, but I'm not a mod, so that's just my opinion. In any case, I recommend theology based sites for the kind of discourse you are seeking, particularly multi-faith ones such as Beliefnet.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-23, 12:13 PM
As I said, I removed any reference to real-world religions in the posts, and honestly, the question is one that this forum is well-equipped to answer from a role-playing standpoint (What happens when you throw a real, active deity into the mix, by real I mean a deity who physically comes down and starts calling the shots?). Whole thing's now completely fictional. No references to any real-world stuff.

Roland St. Jude
2011-10-25, 05:48 PM
Sheriff: Seems like you arrived at the proper course. To reiterate, it's a question of whether the content is respectful, offensive, or used in conjunction with a fictional work. The line to avoid is real world religious content, once you're there, you're over the line.

Note: the linked post by The Giant is talking about PbP games, where the in-game action is fictional by nature.