PDA

View Full Version : Prank-Related Items

Zaq
2011-10-22, 02:58 AM
Long story short, one of my backup characters is going to have a taste for practical jokes. I'm wondering, what kinds of cheap (read: buy with your leftover starting gold) magical or alchemical items would facilitate such tomfoolery? Sovereign Glue is a gimme, as is Eternal Chalk (no, that mustache is NOT coming off that picture) . . . and those gloves that give you Mage Hand and Prestidigitation are probably pretty nice, though a little more expensive. What other things could a prankster get their devious little hands on? (The exact budget is undetermined at the moment, especially since this is just a backup character, but the character would probably be low Paragon, so most low-Heroic items are fair game. Maybe a high-Heroic one if it's just that awesome.)

Vknight
2011-10-22, 03:42 AM
Well with good stealth their is a 'Cape' which boosts spd1 and an additional 1well bloodied, it also gives you enchantment bonus to stealth more specifically and importantly it stacks. So spd to run and stealth to hide yourself in the act.

Zaq
2011-10-22, 03:50 AM
I'm . . . not quite sure what you just said, sir. I do already have quite a stealth focus on the character. What are you saying stacks with what? Any hints what this thing is called, or (perhaps more importantly) what level it is?

Vknight
2011-10-22, 02:04 PM
It's a lvl9 Cape of *Blank*.(Stealth or Silence something like that)
As for stacks I mean to say the enchantment bonus it gives to spd & stealth stacks with other enchantment bonuses. Also it does not give the bloodied bonus until the item is lvl19.

So if you had this and some *Insert Stealth Boosting Item Name Here* the two bonuses would be added together rather then using the higher bonus. So its a really nice item because of the ability to stack.

artstsym
2011-10-23, 03:37 PM
Nail of Sealing (Vault, P191): Seals a "closable object" as an arcane lock spell with a dc of 25 to break.

EDIT: And never forget that mundane items are a trickster's best friend, especially innocuous things like string.

Zaq
2011-10-24, 01:26 AM
Oh, that Nail of Sealing is delightful. That is precisely the kind of thing I'm looking for. Sorry Vknight, but whatever it is you're suggesting, it's out of my price range (and it's interfering with an item slot I've already filled). I'm looking for cheap stuff that I can buy with my leftover starting gold, not major purchases.

And yeah, I've got a great list of mundane items that are great for pranks. I've even got a wildcard . . . the character's a Shaper Psion, and Minor Creation is the new Shapesand.

DragonBaneDM
2011-10-24, 10:49 AM
Oh! The super glue from AV! It's under the alchemy section! I know the reverse is Universal Solvent, but I can't remember what the glue itself is called!

Zaq
2011-10-24, 11:32 AM
Sovereign Glue. No prankster should be without it. That's already accounted for, but yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm after.

artstsym
2011-10-24, 11:57 AM
Well, I've been going through the compendium (mostly looking at consumables because they're cheap and usually offer the wackiest effects), and I think you may be interested in Unreadable Ink. It's from the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium supplement, but the page number isn't showing up for some reason. Anyway, it's ink that is only visible to it's intended recipient.

Zaq
2011-10-24, 12:15 PM
Oh, most classy. There are some shenanigans you can do with that. Hidden "just play along and do this" messages to friends, taunting messages to foes, contradictory messages to foes (one message dedicated to "the first person to read this," one message dedicated to "the second person to read this") . . . yes, I quite like that.

I really need to stop making backup characters that I fall in love with like this. I don't actually want to retire my current character. I just, um, kind of do.

(Doesn't mean I don't want more of these delightful things, though. Keep 'em coming!)

One that I found on my own (for my own reference and that of any interested party): Quaal's Feather Anchor is pretty awesome, as well. Expensive, but the shenanigans one can pull with it are prodigious.

Raimun
2011-10-28, 02:45 PM
Hat of Disguise (AV1, Head). Sure, it costs a lot but think about the prankibilities!

It can also have practical uses as well and I don't mean as in practical jokes. If you can't think of any use to an item that lets you change your appearence at will, you are not thinking hard enough. :smallcool:

Balain
2011-11-05, 01:11 AM
Older editions of Dragon Magazine use to have April Fools time items. The one that sticks out was this set of scrolls attached together to make a loop, and then 1/2 the loop is rotated to give you new and amazing spells like Locate Hands (at the end of your arms of course, unless you cast the spell on the loop called remove hands), then there was flaming Mouth, which does 1d4 damage to the target and 2d6 damage to the caster or something like that. Let's see Wall of missiles ( a big wall of arrows and crossbow bolts and sling bullets, etc all pointed at the caster at all times. Hmmm Can't recall any other spells right now, but you get the idea. There were things like wands of curing That prepared various kinds of meat for eating.

Zaq
2011-11-12, 01:41 AM
I just got my hands on Heroes of the Feywild (a book that has a surprising amount of good crunch to it), and pretty much every single piece of adventuring gear in there is a prankster's dream. There's too many to list, but with a little creativity, nearly anything in that section can be turned to purposes both nefarious and hilarious.

WitchSlayer
2011-11-12, 01:51 AM
Heck yes! I'm fond of the Hill Tamer Crook even if it is an epic level item.