PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e/w Homebrew] Help me build a monster tamer/cleric?

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-22, 09:53 AM
As the title says, somebody recently showed me the Monster Tamer (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Monster_Tamer_%283.5e_Class%29) class the the ability for it's monster control to stack with cleric casting in a limited manner turned me on to the idea of a cloistered cleric/monster tamer that uses cleric buffs to make his monsters stronger. Thus, I want to make a cleric/monster tamer but am unsure of a few things..

-How many levels of each are dessication? I know I need 2 monster tamer levels minimum, but should I take more? The class gets better the more levels you take in it, but would having cleric 9ths outweigh the benefits of taking more monster tamer levels?

-What domains to take for maximum monster-y goodness/the best monsters? Evil seems like it would cover a lot of bases monster-wise, but what other descriptors with matching domains have good monsters to choose from? This is important as it will determine my monster selection. Feel free to name as many domains as you like as I intend on taking contemplative to gain more domains and thus access to more monsters if I go cleric heavy.

-How can I get handle animal as a cleric class skill that I don't have to invest a lot of points into? Handle Animal is a key skill for this character so I'd like to know.

-Can Dynamic Priest(academic priest's cha-based brother) be taken if you have no levels in a divine class at 1st level but intend to take a divine class next level? I ask because dynamic priest is a VERY important feat to this build as it allows me to be basically cha-SAD, forgetting spell DCs and using my monsters as my main offense while cleric casting is saved for buffs(to make my monsters stronger) and utility, as well as the few save-free spells clerics get. If I can, then I can just take able learner and call it a day, but if not, it means my first level NEEDS to be cleric, which means I need I NEED a way to get handle animal as a cleric class skill, at 1st level.(which probably means taking human as my race since I am assuming it will need to be obtained via a feat.)

Anybody think they could help out with this build idea?

Snowbluff
2011-10-22, 04:39 PM
As the title says, somebody recently showed me the Monster Tamer (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Monster_Tamer_%283.5e_Class%29) class the the ability for it's monster control to stack with cleric casting in a limited manner turned me on to the idea of a cloistered cleric/monster tamer that uses cleric buffs to make his monsters stronger. Thus, I want to make a cleric/monster tamer but am unsure of a few things..

-How many levels of each are dessication? I know I need 2 monster tamer levels minimum, but should I take more? The class gets better the more levels you take in it, but would having cleric 9ths outweigh the benefits of taking more monster tamer levels?

-What domains to take for maximum monster-y goodness/the best monsters? Evil seems like it would cover a lot of bases monster-wise, but what other descriptors with matching domains have good monsters to choose from? This is important as it will determine my monster selection. Feel free to name as many domains as you like as I intend on taking contemplative to gain more domains and thus access to more monsters if I go cleric heavy.

-How can I get handle animal as a cleric class skill that I don't have to invest a lot of points into? Handle Animal is a key skill for this character so I'd like to know.

-Can Dynamic Priest(academic priest's cha-based brother) be taken if you have no levels in a divine class at 1st level but intend to take a divine class next level? I ask because dynamic priest is a VERY important feat to this build as it allows me to be basically cha-SAD, forgetting spell DCs and using my monsters as my main offense while cleric casting is saved for buffs(to make my monsters stronger) and utility, as well as the few save-free spells clerics get. If I can, then I can just take able learner and call it a day, but if not, it means my first level NEEDS to be cleric, which means I need I NEED a way to get handle animal as a cleric class skill, at 1st level.(which probably means taking human as my race since I am assuming it will need to be obtained via a feat.)

Anybody think they could help out with this build idea?

Getting Cleric 9ths is paramount. Nothing should take precedence. So 3 levels of monster tamer at most. Personally, I'd play a Druid instead. Animal Companions are beast (no pun intended).