PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard DotA

Nargan
2011-10-22, 10:49 AM
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/game/maps-and-mods/mods/dota

Can't believe no one has made a thread about this yet. I hope I'm not on the receiving end of a blizzard joke (has happened before). Looks SO MUCH FUN though.

The makers of my 2 favourite games in the entire world, making a copy of my 3rd favourite game in the entire world.

Plus, blizzard is known for good game balance, so this makes me feel happy too.

Discuss.

Bayar
2011-10-22, 10:54 AM
I hope it is a joke. As much as I like Thrall's model, Arthas is in his Lich King form and not in his WC3 Death Knight form, and that just bugs me. Plus, the whole premise of "2 bored gods, one red the other blue, kidnap random heroes to kill each other for the lolz" is a bit too shallow.

Nargan
2011-10-22, 11:02 AM
I hope it is a joke. As much as I like Thrall's model, Arthas is in his Lich King form and not in his WC3 Death Knight form, and that just bugs me. Plus, the whole premise of "2 bored gods, one red the other blue, kidnap random heroes to kill each other for the lolz" is a bit too shallow.

Personally I like the humorous approach. They don't care about storyline in this game, because nobody plays DoTA/LoL/HoN for story, so why not make it more fun?

GolemsVoice
2011-10-22, 06:39 PM
Personally I like the humorous approach. They don't care about storyline in this game, because nobody plays DoTA/LoL/HoN for story, so why not make it more fun?

Agreed. The entire concept of Dota is pretty ridicilous, if you think about it. They didn't even need to make up a story, they could just ahve said, well, here's all our famous characters, have a go at it.
And what's wrong with Arthas the Lich King? That's what he's famous for.

EDIT: Amusingly, it just occured to me that Dota has now come full circle. It started as a map for Warcraft III, got made into a seperate game by a different company, and now Blizzard returns to make their own Dota.

Meta
2011-10-22, 06:48 PM
Not a fan of the whole "low hero and item count to keep it distinct." Especially when they're already shoehorning each hero into one of their four roles. Feels lazily done. Looks that way too, to be honest.

Suedars
2011-10-22, 06:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it was always intended as something to play to take a break from laddering in SC2 rather than a full-fledged competitor to DotA 2/LoL.

GolemsVoice
2011-10-22, 06:55 PM
Of course not. I don't think they can honestly threaten LoL or any other titles that are fully dedicated to being Dota. And I'm pretty sure it won't ever have the depth of LoL. It's a single map in a game not even really dedicated to Dota, so that's that.

Nargan
2011-10-22, 07:15 PM
Of course not. I don't think they can honestly threaten LoL or any other titles that are fully dedicated to being Dota. And I'm pretty sure it won't ever have the depth of LoL. It's a single map in a game not even really dedicated to Dota, so that's that.

Yeah, blizzard stated it's free to play, you just have to already have wings of liberty. If they wanted to make it serious, they'd probably charge for it, since they charge for the most ridiculous things *cough* WoW pets *cough*

tribble
2011-10-22, 08:13 PM
The REAL Question is whether or not it will beat out SotIS. I hope it does, because I dislike SotIS.

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-22, 08:51 PM
Plus, blizzard is known for good game balance.

Thats the joke.:smalltongue:
Seriously, it looks fun. Fun enough to reinstall SC2.
the best part or the trailer is the very end when "Coming soon" changes to "soonish"
So, who wants to start a blizzard betting pool? I stake 3 months after Legacy of the Void comes out. But perhaps I'm being a little optimistic

Draken
2011-10-22, 11:09 PM
The REAL Question is whether or not it will beat out SotIS. I hope it does, because I dislike SotIS.

Hero Attack has already beat out SotIS has it not?

Khosan
2011-10-23, 01:48 AM
Hero Attack has already beat out SotIS has it not?

I'm quite a fan of Hero Attack. Good variety of heroes, easy to understand and get into.

Bayar
2011-10-23, 05:52 AM
Agreed. The entire concept of Dota is pretty ridicilous, if you think about it. They didn't even need to make up a story, they could just ahve said, well, here's all our famous characters, have a go at it.
And what's wrong with Arthas the Lich King? That's what he's famous for.

EDIT: Amusingly, it just occured to me that Dota has now come full circle. It started as a map for Warcraft III, got made into a seperate game by a different company, and now Blizzard returns to make their own Dota.

Actually it started as a map for Starcraft called Aeon of Strife. Then made into a custom map for War3:RoC, then for TFT. But yeah, it is preety funny.

What is wrong with it is that he is not mounted on his undead warhorse, the one that he looked better on. I'm not sure, he looked better when he was just a death knight, without the helm of domination, but that's just me, you cannot argue with personal tastes :tongue:

I find it amusing that they decide to jump on the bandwagon now (after supposedly turning down Icefrog's request to let him work on a Blizzard DotA using a new engine) and do a Blizzard DotA AND a DotA style battleground in WoW.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 12:06 PM
What is wrong with it is that he is not mounted on his undead warhorse, the one that he looked better on. I'm not sure, he looked better when he was just a death knight, without the helm of domination, but that's just me, you cannot argue with personal tastes :tongue:
So... multiple skins are suddenly not possible? Old Arthas is a very doable model, mounted characters are indeed possible as well.

Draken
2011-10-24, 02:00 PM
So... multiple skins are suddenly not possible? Old Arthas is a very doable model, mounted characters are indeed possible as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzgJu_DKG8g

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Il8TBtH3Hg&feature=related

Karoht
2011-10-24, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzgJu_DKG8g

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Il8TBtH3Hg&feature=related

While I'm sure your youtube postings are flawless counters to my post, I don't suppose you could inform me as to the contents of said videos? I'm behind a firewall that prevents me from seeing youtube at all.

Draken
2011-10-24, 02:20 PM
Not a counter. Blizzard included mounts in the game (removing boots in the process, aparently). The first video shows three heroes summoning their mounts WoW-style (2 seconds cast) while the second video is about the models for the game, with them dicussing how placing a hero (Thrall) on a mount by default just did not look good because you have to scale the whole model back to keep its size in line with the others (also showing Thrall's model from WC3 next to a blademaster, to demonstrate how tiny it becomes).

Edit: Also, multiple skins are, in fact, possible, the abomination hero apparently has an Abomarine skin and an Abomzerg skin, you can see those on SCII wiki. Other heroes apparently also have a "good" and an "evil" skin each.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 02:38 PM
Ah, there you are then, my point exactly.

Bayar
2011-10-24, 03:05 PM
Looks preety cool. Abomination inside Marine armor ? That is brilliant.

Draken
2011-10-24, 04:14 PM
From the starcraft II wiki.

http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/0/0f/Stitches_SC2_DevRend1.jpg

tribble
2011-10-24, 04:21 PM
I'm quite a fan of Hero Attack. Good variety of heroes, easy to understand and get into.

Last time I played it I found backdooring to be entirely too efficient. Don't mind me, I'm just going to fly into your base, land, pop an attack speed steroid and kill your tower just before it explodes me. I will continue this until your base is dead, because map control can't really be established with all the empty space and the ability some units have to fly. That was several months ago, though.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 04:29 PM
From the starcraft II wiki.Oh wow cool. Can't wait to get one of those and go wreck stuff.

Draken
2011-10-24, 04:51 PM
Last time I played it I found backdooring to be entirely too efficient. Don't mind me, I'm just going to fly into your base, land, pop an attack speed steroid and kill your tower just before it explodes me. I will continue this until your base is dead, because map control can't really be established with all the empty space and the ability some units have to fly. That was several months ago, though.

Frankly speaking, I have found that backdooring isn't merely too efficient. It is the only real way to win if both teams are worth anything. Waves spawn too fast and pushing is pretty unfeasible if you are not in a protoss team with everyone packing energy nova. Blocking backdooring is realtively easy too, you just need a builder hero (or to dish a bunch of minerals if you are zerg), a cannon wall may end up not stoping some of the nastier flyers (such as an unbugged corruptor), but it will slow them down enough for a hero who is paying attention to go do something about it.

And often I think I am the only member of my goddamn team really using the resources of the race to win (creep tumors and nydus networks for zerg, energy nova for protoss [but I often see other people using the toss buildings], I don't play terran heroes that much).

Edit: Also, I think I played with you a few days ago tribble. Did I backdoor you? I might have done that.

Khosan
2011-10-24, 11:30 PM

Kind of yeah. There's also a few heroes who can really just ruin your day. The Ghost will wreck a team not laying out massive amounts of detection. Any flier will annoy the bejeezus out of a hero that can't attack air.

But, mostly, I just like it for the fact that the community's not a toxic pile of junk and I'm not presented with a giant list of items that I have to familiarize myself with.

tribble
2011-10-24, 11:42 PM
Edit: Also, I think I played with you a few days ago tribble. Did I backdoor you? I might have done that.

Not likely, I haven't played in months, and I use my real name for my battlenet tag. I don't know what I was thinking.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-24, 11:43 PM
Kind of yeah. There's also a few heroes who can really just ruin your day. The Ghost will wreck a team not laying out massive amounts of detection. Any flier will annoy the bejeezus out of a hero that can't attack air.

But, mostly, I just like it for the fact that the community's not a toxic pile of junk and I'm not presented with a giant list of items that I have to familiarize myself with.

yeah, the lack of elitism really makes it be nice. Sad the guy who made it has a life to attend to and cant be around to fix everything, but its awesome. Also,the marine bug rocks if you face a nice team who don't kill you. Your second life (your only revive) as a marine can be fun if you got enough kills. You cant solo a lane, but can kill the neutral creeps for cash and hide in bunkers.:smallbiggrin:

Blizzard Dota. I hope it kills SoTiS. I played SoTiS back when it was fun and moderately newish. It's changed alot, and now the previously OP heroes are literally the ONLY heroes.:smallmad:

@Tribble Dont you have the free namechange still? I know I still have mine ready to be used if I ever wanna change from my current one.

Draken
2011-10-24, 11:44 PM
Uh. Well, there is a tribble out there in battlenet.