PDA

View Full Version : Good barbarian prestige class?

xykonthelich
2011-10-22, 09:05 PM
So one of my players really likes the barbarian style characters. He really likes the way that you can just charge into the middle of things and come out in less than 10 pieces. Does anyone have suggestions for good prestige classes that he could take some levels in after barbarian?

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-22, 09:08 PM
Frenzied Berserker, that's for sure. **** is crazy. Since barbarians usually have really high strength, Exotic Weapon Master would be quite good aswell, to double the bonus on the damage with, say, a Bastard Sword and the like.

If he has no problem with getting other base classes, some levels in Fighter would be nice for the talents.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-22, 09:11 PM
Frenzied Berserker, that's for sure. **** is crazy.

Player 1:"Would you guys mind if I made a Frenzied Berserker?"
Everyone else: "No."

One TPK later...
DM: "No one is playing a Frenzied Berserker ever again."

Dr.Epic
2011-10-22, 09:13 PM
The two big ones are Frenzied Berserker and Bear Warrior. If they go with the latter, warshaper is a good PrC after that.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-22, 09:16 PM
The two big ones are Frenzied Berserker and Bear Warrior. If they go with the latter, warshaper is a good PrC after that.

Bear Warriors also need druid for a bear companion. And SNA spells to summon more bears. And the Wild Cohort feat for a bear cohort. And the Leadership feat for another bear cohort and bear cavalry. And Fist of the Forest so you can kill people with your bear hands. And the levels of druid need to be at least 5. You can turn into a bear, and when you get angry, you turn into... a bear, or if you're already a bear, a bearlier bear!

Remember, you have the right to bear arms and the right to arm bears!

Ravens_cry
2011-10-22, 09:18 PM
That would be unbearably overbearing. I don't think I could bear it.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-22, 09:20 PM
Bear Warriors also need druid for a bear companion. And SNA spells to summon more bears. And the Wild Cohort feat for a bear cohort. And the Leadership feat for another bear cohort and bear cavalry. And Fist of the Forest so you can kill people with your bear hands. And 5+ levels of druid. You can turn into a bear, and when you get angry, you turn into... a bearier bear!

Remember, you have the right to bear arms and the right to arm bears!

That's actually not too difficult with druidic avenger.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-22, 09:21 PM
Player 1:"Would you guys mind if I made a Frenzied Berserker?"
Everyone else: "No."

One TPK later...
DM: "No one is playing a Frenzied Berserker ever again." You can end the Frenzy with a DC 20 Will save, optimizing your Will a little bit and it should be a non-issue.

Also, Totem Rager is a fantastic addition if you've got access to Incarnum.

Urpriest
2011-10-22, 09:22 PM
For adding spells to a Barbarian to give some versatility, Runescarred Berserker and Champion of Gwynharwyf are both well-loved.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-22, 09:23 PM
That's actually not too difficult with druidic avenger.
But then you'd be a bear down. No animal companion.

You can end the Frenzy with a DC 20 Will save, optimizing your Will a little bit and it should be a non-issue.

Natural 1.

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 09:24 PM
Champion of Gwynharwyf is a fun choice. Especially in this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Righteous_Rager_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build% 29) build

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-22, 09:34 PM
Natural 1.

You have lots of ways of stopping him! Even saving a single Grease cast on his weapon could do wonders. Plus it really doesn't last for long after the enemies are dead, so... I haven't had any problems with that so far, all I see is that big thing smashing a minion army in a single round :smallbiggrin:

The real problem is when the DM decides to get his revenge and puts a large-sized Frenzied Berserker against the group... with some levels in Occult Slayer, Leap Attack and jumping on your mage... then you think twice :smalltongue:

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 09:35 PM
You have lots of ways of stopping him! Even saving a single Grease cast on his weapon could do wonders. Plus it really doesn't last for so long after the enemies are dead, so... I haven't had any problems with that so far, all I see is that big thing smashing a minion army in a single round :smallbiggrin:

The real problem is when the DM decides to get his revenge and puts a large-sized Frenzied Berserker against the group... with some levels in Occult Slayer, Leap Attack and jumping on your mage... then you think twice :P

Then, you have the Frenzied Berserker act as a bodyguard. He's got d12 hit dice. He's a meat shield

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-22, 09:41 PM
Then, you have the Frenzied Berserker act as a bodyguard. He's got d12 hit dice. He's a meat shield

Would still be really hard. I mean, even if it's a single hit, it will HURT so much. That happened to me once and the only reason I survived was my Stoneskin and my temporary hp from Heart of Earth, got out with 5 hp left. And an Occult Slayer has all the reasons to go for the caster in your team, so unless the barbarian finds a way of "taunting" the large dude, he will keep hitting your mage(or getting an Opportunity when he tries to run, which could be the death of the mage). It's a really tough situation.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-22, 09:42 PM
Natural 1. It's doable for free every round, and if you've limited the chance of failure to a natural 1, then unless you're extremely unlucky, it should rarely result in a TPK.

Frenzied Berserker is one of those classes that require a little bit of forethought before using, but other than that it shouldn't be that grave of a problem. If you don't take the precautions, then you really shouldn't play it.

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 09:45 PM
Would still be really hard. I mean, even if it's a single hit, it will HURT so much. That happened to me once and the only reason I survived was my Stoneskin and my temporary hp from Heart of Earth, got out with 5 hp left. And an Occult Slayer has all the reasons to go for the caster in your team, so unless the barbarian finds a way of "taunting" the large dude, he will keep hitting your mage(or getting an Opportunity when he tries to run, which could be the death of the mage). It's a really tough situation.

Hence why I always carry a Portable Hole and take quick draw:

Move Action: Draw Portable Hole
Standard Action: Drop Portable Hole on my head

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-22, 09:50 PM
Hence why I always carry a Portable Hole and take quick draw:

Move Action: Draw Portable Hole
Standard Action: Drop Portable Hole on my head

There is an easier solution, which I'd have used if he hadn't jumped from a cliff to get me(I was flying). Swift: Anklet of Translocation, 2 squares away, then movement and standard action to RUN LIKE HELL. But since it wasn't like that, I just got too scared and ran... 4x60ft fly speed, didn't want to see that thing pulling a "Fly" effect from his pocket and getting at me again.

Tokuhara
2011-10-22, 09:56 PM
There is an easier solution, which I'd have used if he hadn't jumped from a cliff to get me(I was flying). Swift: Anklet of Translocation, 2 squares away, then movement and standard action to RUN LIKE HELL.

I like my idea. Now NOBODY can hit me

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 10:30 PM
If your friend likes charging, he can actually stay in Barbarian to get the Street Fighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. Aside from granting one of a very few ways to increase critical threat range by more than double, it lets him turn on a charge, charge twice as far, charge through allies, and make cleaving charges when he drops foes on a charge. With this ACF, Barbarian becomes quite a good class to take for all 20 levels, meaning that you can enjoy Mighty Rage without feeling left out of anything.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-22, 10:37 PM
Natural 1.

Take Martial Study for the one that lets you do a Concentration Check for a Will save. No natural 1s (Even if you houserule fumbles on skill checks, it explicitly says that in the description). And remember that, since Constitution should be through the roof on this guy, getting Concentration up to +19 shouldn't be too hard. Now I wanna make a FB...

EDIT: Whoops, you can't use Concentration during Frenzy. My bad. Iron Heart Surge is also a debatable solution.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-22, 11:01 PM
Take Martial Study for the one that lets you do a Concentration Check for a Will save. No natural 1s (Even if you houserule fumbles on skill checks, it explicitly says that in the description). And remember that, since Constitution should be through the roof on this guy, getting Concentration up to +19 shouldn't be too hard. Now I wanna make a FB...

EDIT: Whoops, you can't use Concentration during Frenzy. My bad. Iron Heart Surge is also a debatable solution.

Get some luck rerolls. Just 1/day should do it. Then gotta save that luck reroll for when you're trying to end your frenzy. Roll a nat 1? Reroll. Odds of two consecutive nat 1s are 1/400, at which point, the dice gods probably want your character or the party dead anyway.

gallagher
2011-10-22, 11:33 PM
Never forget the frostrager! Freezing blood is a lifesaver, the flavor is cool (wicked cool) and you get a rending attack. its only 5 levels, so it doesnt pigeon-hole you in, and you still have plenty of room for more prestiging.

if you can fit frostrager on a runescarred berserker, you officially win most of the game

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-22, 11:41 PM
It's 3.0, but it still finds a place in my heart, the Black Blood Cultist class! Ever wanted to play a lycanthrope barbarian? This is almost as good! Gain 2 claws and a bite while you rage, and when you grapple, you get to rip your opponent apart with all your natural weapons, including a rend attack, with no attack roll necessary!

Edit: Whoops! Forgot the source, it's Champions of Ruin!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-23, 12:28 AM
Natural 1.

That's why you make your wizard take levels in Red Wizard of Thay and the frenzied berseker to take levels in Thayan gladiator so the FB autofails his saving throw against the Red Wizard Hold person :smallwink:

faceroll
2011-10-23, 01:27 AM
The Primeval from Frostburn gets you insane strength scores a few times a day. Fist of the Forest gets you some good defensive options if you don't mind the stupid fluff requirements.

kardar233
2011-10-23, 02:02 AM
That's why you make your wizard take levels in Red Wizard of Thay and the frenzied berseker to take levels in Thayan gladiator so the FB autofails his saving throw against the Red Wizard Hold person :smallwink:

I think you mean Thayan Knight from CW. Thayan Gladiator is whacking stuff with natural weapons; Thayan Knight is bodyguarding Red Wizards.

deuxhero
2011-10-23, 02:15 AM
Horizon Walker.

Little Brother
2011-10-23, 04:07 AM
Runescarred Berserker. Why yes I DO like the ability to make AMFs for near-free, why do you ask? Best Barbarian PRC ever.

Metahuman1
2011-10-23, 08:02 AM
Runescarred Berserker. Why yes I DO like the ability to make AMFs for near-free, why do you ask? Best Barbarian PRC ever.

I'd change the fluff a bit so there Tattoo's instead of scars, but meh.

As got FB. Make an affiliation that grants favor of the fates as a benefit. What is favor of the fates? A nice fluffy way of saying it gives you rerolls. Set it up so you get ten of these bad boys a day with the caviot that they must be designated at the time of acquiring them to something specific. Then make them all go to will saves.

Now, get endurance and steadfast determination and pump the ever loving crap out of your will save. Save needs to be a minimum of +18 so that you can make it on a two or better. And now you have two chances to reroll an end frenzy will save per encounter. Odds of failing to NOT roll a nat 1 three times on one item? Effectively impossible.

As an added line of defense, pay a caster to put contingent spells on you. Contingent spells are teleport with contingent triggers of "Failed to end frenzy willingly." and "Frenzy is over." Respectively. You rolled three nat 1"s? You get teleported to the middle of no where with no life anywhere near by. When the frenzy ends, you come back to the party. Boom.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-23, 08:15 AM
Now, get endurance and steadfast determination and pump the ever loving crap out of your will save. Save needs to be a minimum of +18 so that you can make it on a two or better. And now you have two chances to reroll an end frenzy will save per encounter. Odds of failing to NOT roll a nat 1 three times on one item? Effectively impossible. You're entitled to a save to end the Frenzy every round.

Another contingency, is that you don't try to end the Frenzy when every enemy is dead, and instead do so when the major threats have been dealt with.

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-23, 08:48 AM
Natural 1.

Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), choosing the Pride domain. If you roll two natural 1's in a row, I think the DM is throwing some weighted dice your way.

wayfare
2011-10-23, 11:10 AM
Its been mentioned before, but Bear Warrior is really the way to go. Toss in Warshaper for extra fun. Its just a straight up an enhancement for Barbarians.

Psyren
2011-10-23, 11:10 AM
I love how so many people are trying to find ways around the natural 1, instead of addressing the idea that a class feature you need to dedicate resources to stopping may be more trouble than it's worth.

I agree that a FB-TPK is unlikely, but even a single PK outweighs the class' benefits.

Zaq
2011-10-23, 12:46 PM
The problem isn't stopping the Frenzied Berserker if you get an action before he does. There are so many ways to shut one down that it's almost laughable.

The problem is what happens when the last enemy drops and the Berserker's turn is next.

Just go Bear Warrior. Much cooler, and much less hassle.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-23, 12:54 PM
The problem isn't stopping the Frenzied Berserker if you get an action before he does. There are so many ways to shut one down that it's almost laughable.

The problem is what happens when the last enemy drops and the Berserker's turn is next.

Just go Bear Warrior. Much cooler, and much less hassle.

Also the fact that if he blunders into a trap and gets hurt, he might start to frenzy from the damage dealt.
Everyone enters initiative, (flat flooted probably) and he starts his turn. If he can't end the frenzy real quick, he's going to attack a party member. If he does end the frenzy, he's still burned through one of his frenzy attempts, and is now tired for the next few minutes.
Ideal time to attack for an intelligent enemy. :(

But if you're willing to work with those restrictions, getting yourself to the point you can avoid failing your will saves, it's worth it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-23, 12:58 PM
Everyone is missing the point here. You can take Frenzied Berserker and enjoy it plenty without needing to Frenzy, even once. All 10 levels of it are very worth it for the Diehard feat, the Supreme Cleave ability, and the delicious Supreme Power Attack ability.

Supreme Power Attack jumps your +40 returns from Power Attack at level 20 to +80. That's the equivalent of a +54 increase to your Strength score. (+27 modifier, which results in +40 damage with a two-handed weapon)

Meanwhile, even if you took bear warrior all 10 levels (which nets you 5 dead levels) you only end up with a +20 Str adjustment while you rage. (Wow. "Only +20 Str". Never thought I'd say that)

Turning into a bear is cool and all, (I love the Frenzied Berserker class and I use it with every barbarian build) but just because a class's main class feature is dangerous doesn't mean the class itself isn't worth taking. (Especially when in addition to its dangerous features it also has 3 incredibly useful abilities)

Daftendirekt
2011-10-23, 01:00 PM
Everyone is missing the point here. You can take Frenzied Berserker and enjoy it plenty without needing to Frenzy, even once. All 10 levels of it are very worth it for the Diehard feat, the Supreme Cleave ability, and the delicious Supreme Power Attack ability.

Trouble is... taking ANY damage throws you into a frenzy regardless of whether you want to.

Zaq
2011-10-23, 01:10 PM
Well, the SMART way to play a Frenzied Berserker is to wake up every morning, go into a secluded area away from the rest of the party, blindfold yourself, and use up all your frenzies for the day. That way, you still get all the Power Attack goodies and whatnot, but you don't risk PKing because you stubbed your toe.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-23, 01:11 PM
Trouble is... taking ANY damage throws you into a frenzy regardless of whether you want to.

Well, I suppose that part's true. (I've never really had to deal with that one because I always frenzied as soon as possible and we had a top-notch rogue in the party to deal with traps)

Edit: Zaq is right, that's a good idea. Or if you have a DM who doesn't want the party to die, he can rule that "if you take damage you have to Frenzy" part out, or at least limit it to only from attacks by a foe that you can see.

Psyren
2011-10-23, 01:39 PM
Edit: Zaq is right, that's a good idea. Or if you have a DM who doesn't want the party to die, he can rule that "if you take damage you have to Frenzy" part out, or at least limit it to only from attacks by a foe that you can see.

This is Oberoni though; any class can be fixed by houseruling it. And while few DMs will want a TPK due to a PrC, few will also be unlikely to remove the one drawback the class has either.

VladtheLad
2011-10-23, 01:54 PM
Just a disclaimer: Bear warrior is good if your dm is helpful with what-magic items-function-in-bear-form? issue.
Also do note that amulets of mighty fists are very expensive.

Add me to the camp of runescarred berserker and champion of gwhatever.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-23, 01:55 PM
This is Oberoni though; any class can be fixed by houseruling it. And while few DMs will want a TPK due to a PrC, few will also be unlikely to remove the one drawback the class has either.

Okay. But Zaq's idea is still good. Go out into the woods, frenzy, kill some trees until you make a save, and repeat. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, tops.

Hunter Killer
2011-10-23, 02:14 PM
I liked something like Lion Totem Barbarian 5 / Berserk 1 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Berserk 4. Add in Reckless Rage for more insane goodness.

That amounts to a +22 STR/+12 CON, Supreme Power Attack nastiness, and Full Attacks on a charge...

The downside is that everything under the sun WILL hit you, you WILL die, and you probably WILL kill at least one party member (Considering you have to contend with the Berserk's Battle Fury, which doesn't allow premature ending).

Berserk is in Deities and Demigods, if you were wondering.

Tokuhara
2011-10-23, 02:15 PM
I also prefer using Barbarian in unconventional ways. Remember: There is a Hunter-Variant Barbarian. Just toy with that and you can find some clever ways of being a more thug-ish barbarian

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-23, 02:27 PM
I liked something like Lion Totem Barbarian 5 / Berserk 1 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Berserk 4. Add in Reckless Rage for more insane goodness.

That amounts to a +22 STR/+12 CON, Supreme Power Attack nastiness, and Full Attacks on a charge...

The downside is that everything under the sun WILL hit you, you WILL die, and you probably WILL kill at least one party member (Considering you have to contend with the Berserk's Battle Fury, which doesn't allow premature ending).

Berserk is in Deities and Demigods, if you were wondering.

Actually, as long as you're Frenzying you can't die, so you just need your cleric to have plenty of juicy heal spells prepared for when you wander over to him at -300.

hex0
2011-10-23, 02:33 PM
Dwarf time: Battlerager isn't as bad as people say it is, Deepwarden 2 is always in fashion, and Deepstone Sentinel might be worth a look

Non Dwarf time: Dungeoncrasher Fighter.

Randomguy
2011-10-23, 03:00 PM
A wand of calm emotions wielded by the party cleric would be very handy if there's a frenzied beserker in the party. Or an intelligent magic item that can cast the spell a few times per day.

Hunter Killer
2011-10-23, 03:11 PM
Actually, as long as you're Frenzying you can't die, so you just need your cleric to have plenty of juicy heal spells prepared for when you wander over to him at -300.

Ah. I suppose. I forgot about Deathless Frenzy. That's utterly insane, now that I think about it.

Battle Fury is still a problem. Again, you can't prematurely end a Battle Fury like you can a Frenzy. You do get Will Saves to recognize people as allies, though, so optimizing Will still might be a good move...

hex0
2011-10-23, 03:44 PM
Ah. I suppose. I forgot about Deathless Frenzy. That's utterly insane, now that I think about it.

Battle Fury is still a problem. Again, you can't prematurely end a Battle Fury like you can a Frenzy. You do get Will Saves to recognize people as allies, though, so optimizing Will still might be a good move...

Which is why you take Steadfast Determination and dump your Wisdom. :belkar:

Luckily Endurance is a requirement for Deepwarden (also has strong will saves), so you could go Barbarian 3/Fighter 2/Deepwarden 2/Frenzied Berzerker 10. (needs a flaw though)

Tokuhara
2011-10-23, 03:48 PM
Which is why you take Steadfast Determination and dump your Wisdom. :belkar:

Luckily Endurance is a requirement for Deepwarden (also has strong will saves), so you could go Barbarian 3/Fighter 2/Deepwarden 2/Frenzied Berzerker 10. (needs a flaw though)

Murky-Eyed is a throw-away flaw, as well as Inattentive

Optimator
2011-10-23, 04:29 PM
Champion of Gwynharwyf and Runescarred Berserker are my favorites.

Fisticuffs
2011-10-23, 04:32 PM
And while few DMs will want a TPK due to a PrC, few will also be unlikely to remove the one drawback the class has either.

And having to take four different feats isn't a draw back?

I vote Champion of Gwynharwyf, I love the flavor.

What about Shaky? You don't Power Attack ranged attacks.

Anderlith
2011-10-23, 05:06 PM
If you get a barbarian's DR before going FB then you can mostly stop most of the annoying damage triggers for Frenzy. Like getting punched in a barfight or something

herrhauptmann
2011-10-23, 05:11 PM
If you get a barbarian's DR before going FB then you can mostly stop most of the annoying damage triggers for Frenzy. Like getting punched in a barfight or something

The DC for damage is 10+damage dealt.
If you can reliably end your rage, you don't need to worry about the bar fight. If you worry about getting punched in a bar, chances are you can't end your frenzy when you need to anyway. So it's already too late and you're just a TPK waiting to happen.
It's when you blunder into a trap that deals 30 points of damage (completely reasonable), or attacked by a rogue who uses the surprise round to run off, that you're probably going to be unable to stop yourself from burning a frenzy on nothing.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-23, 06:44 PM
There's no reason not to mix and match:
In a level 15 game, I played a Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/ Totemist 4/Bear Warrior 1/Warshaper 2/Frenzied Berserker 5

+18 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +8 Constitution raging, frenzying bear with 7th level totemist soulmelds, now that's just fun.

magwaaf
2011-10-23, 10:39 PM
Frenzied Berserker, that's for sure. **** is crazy. Since barbarians usually have really high strength, Exotic Weapon Master would be quite good aswell, to double the bonus on the damage with, say, a Bastard Sword and the like.

If he has no problem with getting other base classes, some levels in Fighter would be nice for the talents.

its ok the only problem is that you may start attacking players and cannot stop...

if you wanna play a fun barbarian and do a good chunk of damage prestige in to the tempest class. you get to dual wield like a champ, get a defense bonus and then an ability that shares weapon feats between weapons so you can do some sick weapon bonus stacking.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-23, 10:42 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade but Tempest sucks for most dual wielders, a real good one would be a two level dip into Bloodclaw master for full str per weapon and no TWF penalties (the base ones at least)

I think almost any good melee prg class should work for a barbarian...

hex0
2011-10-23, 10:50 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade but Tempest sucks for most dual wielders, a real good one would be a two level dip into Bloodclaw master for full str per weapon and no TWF penalties (the base ones at least)

A dip into Dwarven Fighter 1 gets you weapon focus with all axes as well, which is good for essentially reducing TWF penalty.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-23, 10:51 PM

Eh, I prefer Shaky. Or Pathetic for your wisdom, since you're going Steadfast Determination, or charisma, since it's basically a -1 to intimidate.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-23, 10:56 PM
A dip into Dwarven Fighter 1 gets you weapon focus with all axes as well, which is good for essentially reducing TWF penalty.

Bloodclaw master completely removes the penalties allowing for bonus such as Weapon focus to actually be bonus and not patchwork.

I prefer to have +1/+1 modifiers instead of -1/-1

Daftendirekt
2011-10-23, 11:09 PM
if you wanna play a fun barbarian and do a good chunk of damage prestige in to the tempest class. you get to dual wield like a champ, get a defense bonus and then an ability that shares weapon feats between weapons so you can do some sick weapon bonus stacking.

Yeah, lessening the TWF negatives is not worth taking 5 levels. Tempest is garbage.

kardar233
2011-10-24, 01:13 AM
For FB, you can dip Warblade and pump your Concentration check for easy Will-save passes.

For Runescarred Berserker, d'you think that as it says that your runescars are treated as Divine spells, you could use Divine spell-progressing PrCs to lose having to take 9 levels of the class? Just trying to remember if there are any divine gish classes with good enough class features to make it worth it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-24, 01:19 AM
For FB, you can dip Warblade and pump your Concentration check for easy Will-save passes.

You cannot use the Concentration skill while raging or frenzying.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-24, 01:20 AM
For Runescarred Berserker, d'you think that as it says that your runescars are treated as Divine spells, you could use Divine spell-progressing PrCs to lose having to take 9 levels of the class? Just trying to remember if there are any divine gish classes with good enough class features to make it worth it. They count as Divine spells, but it also states that you technically can't prepare or cast Divine spells.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-24, 01:26 AM
In Champions of Valor (pg 40) there are the Fangshields Barbarian substitution levels.

Starting at 3rd level, the barbarian trades trap sense out for an enhancement bonus to speed when charging, equal to 10 ft for each level where the barbarian would normally get a boost to trap sense.

At 5th level, they trade their Imp Uncanny Dodge to make an attack at the end of a charge as though they had the Awesome Blow feat.

At 7th level, a barbarian can trade their first point of DR for the ability to heal HP equal to twice their Hit Dice by expending a use of rage as a standard action, even while already raging.

Might prove useful to some out there.

Yeah, lessening the TWF negatives is not worth taking 5 levels. Tempest is garbage.

I agree, and simply brewed a feat in my blog that does the same thing.

Psyren
2011-10-24, 08:31 AM
They count as Divine spells, but it also states that you technically can't prepare or cast Divine spells.

That is true, but RBs do have a caster level. You could therefore qualify for PrCs that require that.

Most of those are not designed for gishes though, and you'd be better off entering with a caster class.

magwaaf
2011-11-04, 12:39 PM

the tempest class is fantastic for dual wielders, getting rid of negatives, giving you bonus AC and making it so you dont need to double up on feats is great, my barbarian was hitting pretty damn hard

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-04, 01:20 PM
Let's check why Tempest sucks...

First the pre-requisites: 5 Feat and from those feats only 2 help your designated niche (Spring attack-line is not compatible with TWF so you are setting on fire 3 feats right there)

Tempest defence: AC becomes worthless at high levels and having +3 AC at ECL 11 is extremely BAD hell you can get that by just getting improved buckler defence and getting a nice one, which also helps to get some nifty armour enhancements such as soulfire.

Ambidexterity: It gives you a scaling reduction of TWF penalties, you need to go 5 levels to lessen them to 0 with light weapons. Bloodclaw Master on the other hand simply ignores those penalties with just a two level dip (and it also gets you full str with both weapons, granted a specific sub set; but most of them are the most common TWF weapons, daggers or kukris)

Two-Weapon Versatility: Why would you use two different weapons while dual wielding? You get the same net effect just by using paired weapon.

Two Weapon Spring Attack: You get the same effect with Bounding Assault just a level later and you can get a better effect since level 1 by dipping Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian and getting pounce, now you get your full attack routine, about 5 or 6 attacks.

Finally TWF won't deal enough damage to stay competitive without a source of bonus damage such as sneak attack, Tempest gives none, basically you are setting 5 levels on fire to get sub par stuff that you can get easier, faster and better.