PDA

View Full Version : Costumery!

Admiral Squish
2011-10-23, 12:54 AM
With Halloween fast approaching, I thought I had everything well in hand. I was gonna get myself a long, narrow carborb box, cut arm-holes, paint it mottled green and wear a black, long-sleeved shirt, and call myself a creeper. However, it turns out the restaurant I work at is having a Halloween party thing on Thursday, and employees are encouraged to wear costumes. Now, my creeper costume, while awesome, is just not something I can wear while I bus tables.

So, I need brainstorming help. I have four days (two of which I am working for at lest part of the day) to design and create a brand new costume. It's got to be relatively lightweight, since it tends to get hot. It's got to be flexible enough to work in, and it can't be all too fancy, because I am going to be working, and there is a distinct possibility of getting ranch dressing all over it. The only guideline I've heard for the costumes themselves is that they have to be 'reasonably appropriate' which I take to mean I can't come in to work shirtless. I'm going to get more information from my boss tomorrow on issues like masks, weapons, and other such details.

Aaand... go!

Shyftir
2011-10-23, 01:00 AM
Get a top hat, some black pants and one of those tuxedo t-shirts.

Your a groom. It's easy and fast and comfy.

Savannah
2011-10-23, 01:01 AM
there is a distinct possibility of getting ranch dressing all over it

That makes dressing as V awfully appropriate right now...

Dr.Epic
2011-10-23, 06:03 AM
Man, if your going to work at a restaurant, dress up as something ironic. Like, if you're a busboy, go as a waiter or manager. Something to confuse people.:smallwink:

Admiral Squish
2011-10-23, 09:19 AM
Man, if your going to work at a restaurant, dress up as something ironic. Like, if you're a busboy, go as a waiter or manager. Something to confuse people.:smallwink:

All the uniforms are pretty much the same...

TechnoScrabble
2011-10-23, 10:58 AM
Be a tf2 scout, like me!
Truth be told, it's the simplest costume I've ever done. Last year I wound up building an astronaut suit from scratch, complete with second, gold colored visor that flips up and velcro all over. It was not easy.

Admiral Squish
2011-10-23, 07:29 PM
Get a top hat, some black pants and one of those tuxedo t-shirts.

Your a groom. It's easy and fast and comfy.

Man, if I could find a top hat that would fit on my giant head, I would totally go for this.

Be a tf2 scout, like me!
Truth be told, it's the simplest costume I've ever done. Last year I wound up building an astronaut suit from scratch, complete with second, gold colored visor that flips up and velcro all over. It was not easy.

Hmm. I like the idea, though I suspect I'm a bit too rotund for scout.

I'm gonna go to a costume store tomorrow and wander through. See if anything catches my eye and gets my brain goin'.

Traab
2011-10-23, 07:55 PM
Go as Othar Tryggvassen Gentleman Adventurer!

You will need an xman cyclops visor, but the rest should be easy to assemble. Last panel of this (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20110916) comic if you dont know who that is.

Kindablue
2011-10-23, 09:01 PM

You're in luck then!

llamamushroom
2011-10-24, 02:40 AM
I'd suggest something more cliched, if it's a work thing. Being inventive in front of managers doesn't end well, in my experience.

For instance, just get a length of hemp rope, make a noose, tie it round your neck, and add make-up to taste. Voila - instant (and cheap!) costume.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-24, 02:44 AM

That's a shame. You could at least try and get a different name tag to throw people off I guess. It's not much, but just tell your boss you're going as someone else who's also a busboy but has a different name.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-24, 02:52 AM
Be ''The Spy'' from TF 2.

Scarlet Knight
2011-10-24, 10:02 AM
Easy? Comfortable? Get a set of scrubs and go as a surgeon.

Manga Shoggoth
2011-10-24, 10:21 AM
Change your badge (if you have one) to read MAD AXEMAN, and give it a quarter turn before you pin it back on.

(this way, you also get to find out how many of your clients think.)

Add axe to uniform.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-24, 11:03 AM
I got a mesh hood, a long robe and a scythe I am going to attach placards to. I am DEATH . . .ON STRIKE
Some slogans I had in mind were PAY THOSE WHO REAP OR REAP WHAT YOU SOW, NO PAY, NO SLAY, and SUPPORT LOCAL REAPERS #666
Got any good ideas gang?

CletusMusashi
2011-10-24, 06:45 PM
Get a Notre Dame T-shirt and stuff a pillow in the back.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-25, 11:19 AM
This (http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/28/own-tony-starks-iron-man-briefcase-but-of-course-without-the-iron-man-suit-part/) plus This (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/e60f/) and a goatee... :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2011-10-25, 02:23 PM
Zombie. Entirely too easy. Face paints are dirt cheap. And you don't need fake blood. White your face, use your black to give yourself some contouring, use your other colors for some bruising, done.

Or, just throw on a jacket, bow tie, get a top hat and cane, pick a good mustache and a monacle.

All the ladies like a good mustache and monacle. Enjoy your tips.

Weezer
2011-10-25, 02:46 PM
My go to "crap I need a costume now" plan is Arthur Dent. Just dress as boring as possible and carry a towel. I know it's not exciting, but it's very easy. For bonus points carry a book with Don't Panic on it, though that would be hard while busing tables.

Admiral Squish
2011-10-25, 05:46 PM
Currently thinking 'igor'. Stealing the hunchback pillow idea from before, combined with a sniveling 'yeeess maaaaster' voice and lurching around all night. Not sure how to dress it, though.

Pillow will be held onto my back with an ace bandage in a harness strap. Still working on outerclothes.

Traab
2011-10-25, 10:50 PM
Lab coat would work for that. He was a lab assistant after all.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-26, 01:06 AM
Thick black dish gloves would also be excellent addition. I wore them as part of a costume for an original character Mad Scientist and not only did I win the costume contest I got on the front page of the local paper!

Admiral Squish
2011-10-26, 02:08 AM
Both are awesome ideas! Mom suggested buying a pair of oversized dress pants and shredding the lower legs. I don't have any black dish gloves, or a lab coat right now, but I've got tomorrow morning and Thursday morning if absolutely necessary.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-26, 02:32 AM
If you do, see if you can get the pants and, if possible, the lab coat, at a thrift store. No reason to pay full price for something you are only going to wear once or twice and/or ruin.

Caesar
2011-10-26, 05:55 AM
Go as steve. Wear a turqouise blue shirt, and carry a cardboard mining pick with you. Strap a cardboard bow to your back. For extra awesomeness, set up your creeper costume behind a big plant in the restaurant somewhere where the guests can definitely see it.

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-26, 07:58 AM
Dress shirt
Patterned but formal tie
Khakis
Zip-up cardigan
Sneakers
Neatly combed hair
A warm smile
Call everybody "neighbor"

Karoht
2011-10-26, 09:58 AM
Dress shirt
Patterned but formal tie
Khakis
Zip-up cardigan
Sneakers
Neatly combed hair
A warm smile
Ned Flanders or Mr Rodgers?

Admiral Squish
2011-10-26, 11:54 AM
Dad has confirmed that he is in posession of both a lab coat and black dish-lookin' gloves, and possibly a pair of black pants that I can shred. I'm thinking the shirt is just going to be a black t-shirt flipped inside out.

Hmm. Should I shave? Traditional igor doesn't have a beard, but I can't do facial warts and different-shaped eyes, so I need something to make me look gnarled and unkempt. I'm going to mess up my hair by showering, then putting on a weird-shaped hat until it's dried.

Goggles are also a possibility.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-26, 01:20 PM
Dress shirt
Patterned but formal tie
Khakis
Zip-up cardigan
Sneakers
Neatly combed hair
A warm smile
That almost feels disrespectful somehow.:smallfrown:

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-26, 04:25 PM
Go as a smurf. Easy as pie, blue shirt, blue face paint, white shorts, white shoes and some more blue color or blue stockings and you're done.

Traab
2011-10-26, 04:55 PM

I cant imagine how. I mean, its no different than dressing up as any tv personality. Speaking of, khaki shirt and shorts, say crikey alot. Easiest costume I can think of. Any time you see a cute little kid go, "Aw aint she a beaut?"

DeadManSleeping
2011-10-26, 08:18 PM

Maybe if I'd gone with the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny variant.I couldn't find fake blood that easily washes out of clothing.

Traab
2011-10-26, 10:41 PM
Maybe if I'd gone with the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny variant.I couldn't find fake blood that easily washes out of clothing.

Greatest video ever.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 01:48 AM
I cant imagine how. I mean, its no different than dressing up as any tv personality. Speaking of, khaki shirt and shorts, say crikey alot. Easiest costume I can think of. Any time you see a cute little kid go, "Aw aint she a beaut?"
It's Mr. Rogers. According to one story, when his car was stolen, the thieves returned it when they realized whose it was.
Don't know if that's true, but what I do know is even 4chan respects Mr. Rogers.
No, he wasn't an ex-Navy SEAL.
No, he wasn't a sniper in Vietnam.
He was a good hearted soul whose defence of public broadcasting to a Senate committee on cancilling it was so impassioned that not only was it not cancelled but its budget increased, a man who treated his viewers with the utmost dignity and respect.
He was Mr. Rogers.

Just as bad is if you had gone as the other version of that song.:smalleek: Which interestingly enough has better done animation. . .

smellie_hippie
2011-10-27, 09:50 AM
If I can jump on this thread for som additional suggestions...

I need a costume for work on Monday. The few stipulation are as follows.

1. Can't shave or cut my hair (long hair and full beard)
2. Supposed to be themed as favorite cartoon character
3. Can't be TOO disturbing, since I am a child/family therapist

aaaaaaaaand go!

Karoht
2011-10-27, 01:41 PM
If I can jump on this thread for som additional suggestions...

I need a costume for work on Monday. The few stipulation are as follows.

1. Can't shave or cut my hair (long hair and full beard)
2. Supposed to be themed as favorite cartoon character
3. Can't be TOO disturbing, since I am a child/family therapist

aaaaaaaaand go!
Knight. No really.
Thor maybe?

Or Pirate, you have the hair and beard for it by the sounds of things.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-27, 01:44 PM
a *Stab* victim? :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 01:45 PM
Knight. No really.
Thor maybe?

Or Pirate, you have the hair and beard for it by the sounds of things.
Indeed, a yo ho ho, battle of rum kind of pirate would be good.

Serpentine
2011-10-28, 09:05 AM
I had an idea for a ridiculously cheap and easy costume: Patient Zero*
Just wear normal clothes, but carry around a handkerchief with a splatter of red dye or tomato sauce or maybe even red jelly - something bloody and possibly gelatinous looking. Do your normal thing, but sniffle and cough a lot, and every now and then take out your hanky, hack into it in the most throaty disgusting way possible, and look at it with a concerned look on your face and possibly show it to others. For added effect, you could use some fairly subtle make-up - pale skin, flushed cheeks, hollow eyes, maybe that feverish sheen if you can figure out a way to do it (I can only think of eating a chilli...). You could even add a bit more over the day/evening as you get "sicker" - and could eventually ultimately become a zombie costume, just with make-up. As a bonus, you could take extra bloody hankies to give out to other people as you "infect" them.

But it's probably not the sort of costume you'd want as a waiter (although it would make it extra scary...), and probably not great for kids, either :/

On a personal note, I'm working on a Nightcrawler costume. A fat, female Nightcrawler, but oh well :/ Except I killed my sewing machine trying to finish the jacket :smallsigh: As in, not only did the needle break, but the machine sparked, turned off, and won't turn on again. Where does one take a broken sewing machine to be fixed? :smallfrown:

*That applies to the first victim of any disease, not just zombification, doesn't it?

Admiral Squish
2011-10-28, 09:41 AM
Costume was a success! I got a lot of compliments, and if it weren't for the dude in the gumby costume, I would have been in the top 3 during the contest.

I'll post pictures later on.

Kneenibble
2011-10-28, 10:25 AM
Gumby screwed you too?!
I was second place in a costume contest that I totally deserved two years ago to Gumby.

Let's team up and shuck that bastard's fit up.

Savannah
2011-10-28, 11:41 AM
Where does one take a broken sewing machine to be fixed? :smallfrown:

I'm pretty sure I've seen sewing machine repair places. Maybe try google with that and your hometown?

Artemis97
2011-10-28, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember Sears doing repairs for sewing machines. Course, that might depend on if you bought it there.

Weezer
2011-10-28, 10:01 PM
Gumby screwed you too?!
I was second place in a costume contest that I totally deserved two years ago to Gumby.

Let's team up and shuck that bastard's fit up.

Make sure you use a rack, it's traditional.

druid91
2011-10-28, 10:11 PM
I have a question where does one go when they want to learn to make something like this?

http://gfbrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/sak11fr-77.jpg

Because that or something close to it would be an awesome costume.

Yet I don't know how to make the robe/cloak...

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 01:10 AM
My costume this year:

http://i44.tinypic.com/kb4olk.jpg

Won me first prize at a costume party, best overall catagory (also won funniest, but we could only win one prize). Prize as $325 worth of vouchers for a resort in Ocean Shores, WA.

Score! Whole thing cost me like, $40, and $30 of that was the wig.

Leon
2011-10-31, 12:17 PM
I have a question where does one go when they want to learn to make something like this?

http://gfbrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/sak11fr-77.jpg

Mars or other applicable Forgeworld

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-31, 12:54 PM
My costume for Halloween(I'mthe guy in the foreground)
Also had a worn leather brown coat to go along with it, but both venues I went to were hot enough that I barely wore it.

YARG says the pirate DD.

[IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_311481535535288_100000203330517_1458898_433 03955_n.jpg[/IMG

V: Fixed what? (A)

druid91
2011-10-31, 01:05 PM
Mars or other applicable Forgeworld

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any travel services offering trips to Mars.

Otherwise I would.

My costume for Halloween(I'mthe guy in the foreground)
Also had a worn leather brown coat to go along with it, but both venues I went to were hot enough that I barely wore it.

YARG says the pirate DD.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_311481535535288_100000203330517_1458898_433 03955_n.jpg

FTFY

t209
2011-10-31, 11:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2v8N5l.jpg\
Soldier: Green Shirt, Green or Camo pants, and Green Cap!

dgnslyr
2011-11-01, 12:39 AM

snippety.jpg

On a slightly related note, I was an Imperial Guardsmen this year, by which I mean I wore a t-shirt like normal and carried around a flashlight.