PDA

View Full Version : Healing a dying creature

Laniius
2011-10-23, 01:57 AM
If a creature is dying, they are between -1 and -9 hit points. If they are healed back into positives, do they automatically wake up or do they remain unconscious? Whatever the answer is, is there a page number?

Allanimal
2011-10-23, 02:22 AM
Yes. Rules compendium p. 73

Healing that raises a dying creature's hit points to 0 makes it conscious and disabled. Healing that raises its hit points to 1 or more makes it fully functional again.

PHB p. 145-146 says essentially the same thing.

Or check the SRD.... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#stableCharactersandRecovery)

Herabec
2011-10-23, 02:34 AM
Of course, the DM can also say 'screw that, the trauma inflicted by nearly dying has caused it to pass out, and magical means will not revive it until it has a chance to recoup'. Of course, such isn't viable during combat, but once a battle is over, or if you simply found this dying creature...

Diefje
2011-10-23, 02:59 PM
I thought it worked like Tracking. It never does anything useful, except when the DM plans for it, in which case the creature behaves as is necessary for the plot regardless of (magical) healing.

Look at the corpses for one with a shiny piece of metal, bent in the shape of a hook-like thing, roughly the size of an adventurer (DC 5 Intelligence check, to recognise it as a Plot Hook)

Laniius
2011-10-23, 04:13 PM
Thanks all, I found my answer on page 135 of the phb.

Yes. Rules compendium p. 73

PHB p. 145-146 says essentially the same thing.

Or check the SRD.... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#stableCharactersandRecovery)

My DM refuses to use the SRD or Rules Compendium as an authoritative source. (edit: spelling)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-23, 04:31 PM
Thanks all, I found my answer on page 135 of the phb.

My DM refuses to use the SRD or Rules Compendium as an authoritative source. (edit: spelling)

Wait what?! :smallconfused: SRD is word-for-word copy of DMG, PH, and MM1 along with a few other source materials. Rules Compendium is the same (with approapriate updates and clarification). I mean seriously!?!?!?!? :smallconfused: :smallannoyed:

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-23, 04:46 PM

Of all the ridiculous, uptight nonsense! :smallannoyed:

Laniius
2011-10-23, 05:41 PM
He doesn't own the Rules Compendium, and I don't know why he refuses to use the SRD. If there's a rule in the SRD that he disagrees with, he ignores it unless he is provided the same rule in the book. I've given up arguing.

LansXero
2011-10-23, 05:46 PM
Related question: Does a dying creature fall prone? If they get healed, do they sproing back up or do they have to do it on their own (spending their move action and maybe provoking AoOs)?

Siosilvar
2011-10-23, 05:51 PM
He doesn't own the Rules Compendium, and I don't know why he refuses to use the SRD. If there's a rule in the SRD that he disagrees with, he ignores it unless he is provided the same rule in the book. I've given up arguing.

Well, given that the SRD is almost word-for-word the books, it's a matter of looking through core until you find the right rule.

Luckily, the SRD includes heading titles, so it's not quite as bad as just trudging through it without help...

EDIT:
Related question: Does a dying creature fall prone? If they get healed, do they sproing back up or do they have to do it on their own (spending their move action and maybe provoking AoOs)?

I can't find anything that says a dying creature is prone, but they are unconscious, and "an unconscious creature falls to the ground, helpless" in Rules Compendium, which implies prone. No mention is made of falling to the ground in the PHB, but most people IRL will slump over once they lose muscle control, so they ought to be prone by the DMG's "real-world physics apply" clause.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-23, 05:53 PM

Dying creatures fall prone because dying creatures loose conciousness. Once healed, and presumably concious again, they must use their own action to stand up. You can probably goad a DM into allowing a special Aid Another action to lift them back on their feet but its not RAW as far as I know.