PDA

View Full Version : Best Heavy Armor?

Chained Birds
2011-10-23, 02:31 AM
Yo, I've been working on a PF character using a 3rd party prestige called "Armor Bonded" (Found on the pfsrd) and am looking for a good Heavy Armor for him. As the prestige describes: at lvl 5 the wearer becomes one with his/her armor and treats the armor as the its skin (As the name would imply, Binding the armor to the character forever).
I really want the best armor to have permanently glued to his skin; so, what would be the best armor? And I'm looking for any 3.5 or PF suggestions.

Edit: Oh and assume a budget of 100,000gp or less.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-23, 02:33 AM
What is your strength (for encumbrance) and dexterity (for max dex)?

Chained Birds
2011-10-23, 02:38 AM
What is your dexterity?

I don't think it would matter as the Prestige converts the Max Dex of the armor = to the Armor Bonded's level (Max 10).

...but 18 naturally if it helps.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 02:41 AM
If your talking about heavy armor, i believe the best options are in races of stone.

faceroll
2011-10-23, 02:41 AM
Mechanus Plate, from Planar Handbook has +10 armor, 0 max dex.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-23, 02:43 AM
Thaalud Stone Armor (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7201.0)

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 02:56 AM
Mechanus Plate, from Planar Handbook has +10 armor, 0 max dex.

Oo forgot about that one. Yeh mechanus plate is gunna be better than stone plate.

Both of those reduce movement to 15 ft though unless your a dwarf.

If you make the Mechanus plate out of Urdrukar out of arms and equipment will cost you +37500 extra gold but give you like a +30 to saves to resist being divined.

Alternatively, astral drift metal from the planar handbook will add a +12,000 gold piece price tag but let you add your armor bonus to AC versus incorporeal touch attacks.

faceroll
2011-10-23, 02:59 AM
The advantage mechanus gear has over stone armors is that you can make it out of mithril, turning it into medium armor, getting dex to your AC, being able to wear it as a barbarian, and getting better speed.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 03:28 AM
The advantage mechanus gear has over stone armors is that you can make it out of mithril, turning it into medium armor, getting dex to your AC, being able to wear it as a barbarian, and getting better speed.

Not just that, Stone armor has significantly less alternate material options.

JaronK
2011-10-23, 04:48 AM
Need to know more about the character here (dexterity, classes, etc) to answer this. But note that one of the dragon magazines did have armor options that could be added on to armor by the appropriate crafter.

JaronK

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-23, 07:18 AM
Not just that, Stone armor has significantly less alternate material options.

Well strictly speaking, it doesn't say you CAN'T make the Thaalud Stone Armor out of Mithral, as idiotic as it sounds.

faceroll
2011-10-23, 07:29 AM
Well strictly speaking, it doesn't say you CAN'T make the Thaalud Stone Armor out of Mithral, as idiotic as it sounds.

1) It doesn't say that fighters can't cast wizard spells. In other words, lack of permission to do something in the rules isn't permission to do something.
2) If you read the rules on mithral, you'll see that it does actually say you can't make mithral stone armor. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral

Metahuman1
2011-10-23, 07:41 AM
3 questions:

1: Does this PrC allow you better movement speed, like the PHBII's Knight classes armor master class feature?

2: Is Magic Item Compendium allowed?

3: How rules exploits friendly is your DM?

Tokuhara
2011-10-23, 08:32 AM
3 questions:

1: Does this PrC allow you better movement speed, like the PHBII's Knight classes armor master class feature?

The class is about becoming one with your armor. If you want to learn more about one of my favorite Pathfinder tanking classes, here is Armor Bonded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-prestige-classes/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/armor-bonded).

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-23, 08:33 AM
1) It doesn't say that fighters can't cast wizard spells. In other words, lack of permission to do something in the rules isn't permission to do something.

It does say you can make armour out of Mithral, so really....

2) If you read the rules on mithral, you'll see that it does actually say you can't make mithral stone armor. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral

....I just forgot that one line. My bad.

Metahuman1
2011-10-23, 08:56 AM
If your gonna do the construct thing, I'd advise Riverine for the material to have the armor made out of and use either Mechanus Plate from planar handbook or Mountain plate form races of stone. From there, you just have to find ways to neutralize Mordikitens Disjunction, Disintegrate, Rod of Cancellation, and Spear of Annihilation. Make sure to add spikes to the armor before taking the class levels.

If your not gonna do the construct thing, same classes, but I like Arourium (Or how ever you spell it.) It's from book of Exalted deeds, and it basically makes stuff made out of it able to self repair.

BTW, Cool class. Might have to do something with it. :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2011-10-23, 09:18 AM
Heavy Armor Optimization and the Greater version (Races of Stone), plus Nimbleness enchantment are all nice options for you. Much as it annoys me, Mechanus Gear is probably one of your best bets over Mountain Plate, due to the lack of the speed reduction regardless of Dwarven Movement or the like.

Need to know more about the character here (dexterity, classes, etc) to answer this. But note that one of the dragon magazines did have armor options that could be added on to armor by the appropriate crafter.

JaronK

Dragon 358, Artisan Craftsmen. It's summarized here, along with other neat stuff: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12795.0

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 09:33 AM
Hmm cool class. A dwarf wearing blended quartz Thaalud stone armor would weigh about 600 lbs. before adding in shield weight , equipment weight, and weapon weight. Might be fun to figure up the heaviest possible character. Then try to do something with A dwarven armor bonded 6/ great skyrift guard10

Combining the crashdown graft with the skyrifts capstone "skyguard catapult"

Right now at 600 lbs it is at (1d6/200 lbs) + (1d6/ 10 feet fallen [max 20d6])

So touch attack for 23d6 for a 200 foot fall, arguably against a flat footed opponent if you fell from outside his sight. And you take (dmg/2 -25) because of the 2 abilities.

Then apparently an unlimited 1d6/10 foot fallen to a 10 foot area when you land, no save.

So just for kicks lets say you could get your weight to the most your griffon mount could carry (2076 lbs).

and then you decided to fall 1000 feet for your crazy dive.

You would then get a touch attack against a probly flat footed opponent for 30d6 damage (30-180 dmg) Then you would take half this damage minus 25 (0-55 dmg) and then everything in a 10 foot radius would take 100d6 dmg no save (100-600 dmg).

... hilarious.

Chained Birds
2011-10-23, 10:42 AM
I was going to go Barbarian (Armored Hulk + Serene Barbarian) to still benefit from raging even without a con score. I'm also taking the Guarded Life Rage Powers to convert lethal damage that would otherwise kill me out right, to non-lethal making the damage disappear. And the Flesh Wounds RP can convert any damage to non-lethal as long as I make the save.

So Mechanus Gear (mythral) + armor spikes seem to be the best option for both an awesome appearance, and mechanically the best armor AC. Can I also do the armor -> touch AC too?

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 10:55 AM
Can I also do the armor -> touch AC too?

If your talking about the one i suggested then no. It gives your armor to touch AC versus incorporeal touches only though. Still good versus greater blinking wizards and ghosts. But it comes from a special material so you can't do mythral and astral driftmetal armor. But after looking at the armor guy prestige class it doesn't seem like mithral will do anything for you. The class functionally removes max dex restriction, reduces armor check and spell failure, and removes the speed limitations of armor. So mithral is kinda just expensive shiny metal with no benefit to you.

nedz
2011-10-23, 10:57 AM
Hmm cool class. A dwarf wearing blended quartz Thaalud stone armor would weigh about 600 lbs. before adding in shield weight , equipment weight, and weapon weight. Might be fun to figure up the heaviest possible character. Then try to do something with A dwarven armor bonded 6/ great skyrift guard10

Combining the crashdown graft with the skyrifts capstone "skyguard catapult"

Right now at 600 lbs it is at (1d6/200 lbs) + (1d6/ 10 feet fallen [max 20d6])

So touch attack for 23d6 for a 200 foot fall, arguably against a flat footed opponent if you fell from outside his sight. And you take (dmg/2 -25) because of the 2 abilities.

Then apparently an unlimited 1d6/10 foot fallen to a 10 foot area when you land, no save.

So just for kicks lets say you could get your weight to the most your griffon mount could carry (2076 lbs).

You would then get a touch attack against a probly flat footed opponent for 30d6 damage (30-180 dmg) Then you would take half this damage minus 25 (0-55 dmg) and then everything in a 10 foot radius would take 100d6 dmg no save (100-600 dmg).

... hilarious.
Range Touch Attack presumably; so whats the range increment for a falling Dwarf ?
Mind you, even a near miss is going to smart.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-23, 11:05 AM
I was going to go Barbarian (Armored Hulk + Serene Barbarian) to still benefit from raging even without a con score. I'm also taking the Guarded Life Rage Powers to convert lethal damage that would otherwise kill me out right, to non-lethal making the damage disappear. And the Flesh Wounds RP can convert any damage to non-lethal as long as I make the save.

So Mechanus Gear (mythral) + armor spikes seem to be the best option for both an awesome appearance, and mechanically the best armor AC. Can I also do the armor -> touch AC too?

If you can use stuff from 3.5, there is a feat chain (Heavy Armour optimization + Deflective Armour) which let's your AC bonus from armour counts against Touch attacks as long as you are psionically focused. You also need a PP pool for you to be able to get a psionic focus, so you would need Hidden talent or wild talent.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-23, 11:10 AM
Range Touch Attack presumably; so whats the range increment for a falling Dwarf ?
Mind you, even a near miss is going to smart.

Naw it is a melee touch attack with no range increment according to the class ability. The class is in races of faerun.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 03:21 AM

... hilarious.

If you added in roof jumper feat from cityscape you would get a +2 to hit with the touch attack(the whole schtick would now be treated as a charge) and an extra 1d6 dmg per 10 feet fallen past the first 10 feet. This extra damage would not increase the damage you take from the fall. So for the 1000 foot fall scenario that makes the damage

touch attack with +2 bonus 30d6+99d6 damage (129-774 dmg).
Half the damage from the 30d6 minus 25 to yourself (0-55 dmg).
Then whether you hit or missed with the touch attack, everything in a 10 foot radius would take 100d6 dmg no save (100-600 dmg).

possible 229-1374 dmg to some poor soul.
100-600 dmg to everyone else around him.
0-55 dmg to yourself.

I wonder if there is a dwarven god of meteorites...

Andion Isurand
2011-10-24, 03:39 AM
There is an armor property somewhere the reduces full body impact damage by half... such as by falling or a constrict attack. It doesn't have a numerical ability bonus, only a flat added gp cost.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 03:48 AM
There is an armor property somewhere the reduces full body impact damage by half... such as by falling or a constrict attack. It doesn't have a numerical ability bonus, only a flat added gp cost.

:smalleek: Tease :smalleek:

Any hints on how to begin to find it?

Andion Isurand
2011-10-24, 05:13 AM
Found it in Complete Warrior on page 133

Anti-Impact

Armor with the anti-impact quality is designed to cushion the blow from massive blunt traumas. Anti-impact armor doesn't give extra protection against weapon damage (beyond its AC bonus), but bludgeoning damage that affects all or most of the entire body (such as constriction and falling damage) is halved.

etc etc

Price: +2,000 gp.

===============================

You could also give that character the Deformity (Obese) feat to triple his weight and give him more Con for surviving the fall.

Combined with the Stocky 1st level only feat to increase weight by 10% (also granting a +4 stability bonus)

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 09:13 AM

Anti-Impact

Armor with the anti-impact quality is designed to cushion the blow from massive blunt traumas. Anti-impact armor doesn't give extra protection against weapon damage (beyond its AC bonus), but bludgeoning damage that affects all or most of the entire body (such as constriction and falling damage) is halved.

etc etc

You could also give that character the Deformity (Obese) feat to triple his weight and give him more Con for surviving the fall.

Combined with the Stocky 1st level only feat to increase weight by 10% (also granting a +4 stability bonus)

So the build is for a Sumo Wrestler in Spiked Mechanus Plate? Scary thought....

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 12:58 PM

Anti-Impact

etc etc

Thank you that fits in perfectly and reduces the damage for the player down to 1-20 dmg.

and that brings his natural weight to 1980 lbs. before adding in the other gear (just armor and fat weight.)

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-24, 01:01 PM
Check out Hellknight plate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor) on the Pathfinder srd. There's a nice prestige class to match (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight).

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 04:58 PM
Question:

With Armor Bonded, could a race with "Natural Armor" (Such as a Tortise's Shell or Warforged's Composite Plate) qualify on its own?

Reason:

Antropomorphic Dire Tortise Armiger 2/Divine Defender or Sacred Shield Paladin 5 or 11/Armor Bonded 10 or 7/Stalwart Defender 3 or 0 (Depending on which is better between Divine Defender and Sacred Shield)

Chained Birds
2011-10-24, 08:07 PM
Question:

With Armor Bonded, could a race with "Natural Armor" (Such as a Tortise's Shell or Warforged's Composite Plate) qualify on its own?

Reason:

Antropomorphic Dire Tortise Armiger 2/Divine Defender or Sacred Shield Paladin 5 or 11/Armor Bonded 10 or 7/Stalwart Defender 3 or 0 (Depending on which is better between Divine Defender and Sacred Shield)

I would say no, as the prestige is built around turning mundane/magical armor into the character's skin. Natural armor is already part of the character's skin. Besides, the first 5 levels would be a waste for the character who somehow gained the prestige through his/her natural armor.

Now, a character with perminent Greater Mage Armor being allowed to enter this prestige is a whole nother discussion entirely...

Cieyrin
2011-10-24, 08:12 PM
Check out Hellknight plate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor) on the Pathfinder srd. There's a nice prestige class to match (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight).

The PrC that OP is going into and Mechanus Gear both do it better. Now, I'm not saying Hellknight Plate isn't sweet, it's just not the best in terms of the top armor.

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 08:25 PM
I would say no, as the prestige is built around turning mundane/magical armor into the character's skin. Natural armor is already part of the character's skin. Besides, the first 5 levels would be a waste for the character who somehow gained the prestige through his/her natural armor.

Now, a character with perminent Greater Mage Armor being allowed to enter this prestige is a whole nother discussion entirely...

Dang it... I so wanted to do a skydiving sumo build as my a Tortoise-kin

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 08:46 PM
Dang it... I so wanted to do a skydiving sumo build as my a Tortoise-kin

Anthropomorphic characters can wear armor. If GM says you can't then just ask for barding instead. Once you put armor on you can go into the class. However if you aren't a dwarf you can't get into skyrift prestige class to get the catapult. However, you CAN still take the roofjumper feat and the crashdown graft as any race. So you can still fall out of the sky and end with a charge attack that does weapon damage + 1d6/10ft after the first 10 feat and then land on the ground and cause a 10 ft area to take another 1d6/10 feat. If you go this route your gonna need a way to keep getting back up into the sky. Fly speeds (the armor class offers a wings graft but i don't remember if the speed and maneuverability are good), teleportation, big mounts. Also, this route does not get extra damage from weight. The damage per weight factor was a part of the skyrift catapult move. Also this route take a little bit more damage from the fall.
You take falling damage (max 20d6) divided by half from the armor enhancement and then subtracted by 25.

Worth noting, no matter which way you go with this build, roofjumper essentially gives you a free charge attack anytime you fall more than 20 feet.
This opens up the possible incarnations of this build (I'm naming it "the Comet").

Some Example variations opened up by roofjumper:

-Blood spiked charger let's you attack once with armor spikes and once with a spiked shield every time you charge. (combo this with any charging cheese you want) This gives you extra dmg as well. Base dmg+ str + x2 str extra dmg for main hand and base dmg + 1/2 str +x2 strength for offhand.

-Teleportation comes from many sources, since each time you fall you get a charge, you can combine different action teleports to port>fall charge> port> fall charge> port > fall charge.

This incarnation brings up some extra questions though.
How far do you fall in one round, assuming free fall?

Falling obviously can't be tied to a move action, since a person with a 10 ft speed and another person with a 400 ft speed both free fall the same distance in the same amount of time.
So what action does falling represent, if any?

Cieyrin
2011-10-24, 08:48 PM
Anthropomorphic characters can wear armor. If GM says you can't then just ask for barding instead. Once you put armor on you can go into the class. However if you aren't a dwarf you can't get into skyrift prestige class to get the catapult

Dwarf-only PrC you say? Are you familiar with Stoneblessed? :smallwink:

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 08:55 PM
Tortoises cannot wear armor (Big Shell)

And Stoneblessed you say... Excellent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc&feature=related)

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 08:58 PM
Dwarf-only PrC you say? Are you familiar with Stoneblessed? :smallwink:

Yes, i am familiar with stone blessed. I was just normally build things to 20. Adding stoneblessed will push you into epic b4 you reach the final combo.

And it also presents a logistical problem. The capstone ability of the Great Rift Skygueard PrC is used in combination with your Hippogriff mount. You can't use it with a different mount and you can't do it by yourself. The mount is large sized and a huge turtle man can not ride a large horsebird. Therefore he can't perform the ability that he took stoneblessed to get.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-24, 08:59 PM
Tortoises cannot wear armor (Big Shell)

And Stoneblessed you say... Excellent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc&feature=related)

You can put armor over your shell. Go read about barding. It is normally armor for mounts. But it can be made for anything and then used by anything it was made for.

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 09:03 PM
Yes, i am familiar with stone blessed. I was just normally build things to 20. Adding stoneblessed will push you into epic b4 you reach the final combo.

CRAAAAAAAAP (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a)