PDA

View Full Version : Finders Keepers: A Campaign Log

Kuzimu
2011-10-23, 12:57 PM
Hey guys! I wanted to keep a log of my campaign, both so the Players will remember what happened and reference this, and so that I can keep a history of my campaign, and compare it to my campaign notes, to learn more about how my players decide thing! (I find the subject matter pretty interesting, having written it, and while I wouldn't presume to suppose y'all will find it fascinating, I hope some of you might gain inspiration or amusement from it.)

This campaign started at level one, and my only hope is that the players, some very new to DnD, some experienced old farts such as myself, will learn more about DnD and each other while having some good, old-fashioned fun!

I don't expect all of you to trudge through this background information, but if you want any, here it is:

The campaign world is simply known as the Continent right now, and is organized into three major parts: the human part of the continent, the ancient Elven kingdom of Arcadia, east of the human holdings, and the inhospitable mountains to the North and East, the Land of the Crow.

Bringers:
Over 99% of the humans on the continent are Bringers, humans who are healed by negative energy rather than positive, and who animate their dead to use as unskilled laborers, beasts of burden, and for a standing military.

Keepers:
Keepers are the remaining 1% of the human population; they are healed by positive energy and harmed by negative energy as the standard human race is. Since Keepers are born randomly, often Keepers don't even know what they are until they become sick and go to a Shepherd to receive healing, only to find that they are harmed by it instead. Keepers are exterminated on sight by Shepherds.

Shepherds:
Shepherds are the closest thing the human holding of the Continents has to a government. They are Dread Necromancers who use their negative energy touch to provide unlimited healing to the people, and they use their skills at animation to control the undead. Shepherds gained power around fifty years before the long-ago Purge.

Purge:
The Purge occurred an estimated nine hundred years ago; it is when the ancient Shepherds, the first Bringers, united the humans to expel all the lesser, evil races. They animated their dead, and in one catastrophic movement exterminated all goblins, orcs, and all but one of the drow.

Halflings:
Halflings live in human holdings, and eke out an existence by robbing or trading with humans. Almost all halflings are either rogues or swift hunter druids, with the druids being the majority in rural communities and the rogues the majority in urban communities.

Elves:
Elves, ageless, immortal, unsleeping, and beautiful, live in the Elven kingdom of Arcadia ruled by the angelic queen called Archer. It is an idyllic, beautiful world of marble cities and verdant gardens. Elves are all enrolled in mandatory education in magic, and they use their magic to do almost everything; the typical elf is helpless without it.

Dwarves:
Dwarves, the first race, are rarely encountered outside of Himeheld, the Dwarven holding located under Arcadia and the eastern half of the human part of the continent. Dwarves are often clerics of their god, Olsim, and shun spellcasting in favor with prowess in melee combat, armed or unarmed.

With that in mind, it'd be tough to have a great story without introducing the cast of adventurers, so here goes:

1. Nazir the Halfing Beguiler

In this campaign, halflings are often close-knit bands of guerilla warriors who make a living stealing from the humans. Almost all halflings are either rogues or druids, and Nazir was born into a family consisting entirely of the latter.

Nazir's family was a merchant bunch, making their living by selling goods to humans and other halflings. Once they discovered that their son had a talent for messing with the minds of others through illusion and charms, they branched out into the black market, and with Nazir's help, became incredibly successful.

However, they did not do so entirely without mishap; the humans, learning that they were being deceived through magic, and being ripped off and even being the victims of theft, killed Nazir's family.

For the subsequent year afterwards, Nazir has been wandering around seeking gainful employment, unlike many other halfings. However, no one would trust Nazir because of his previous affiliations and magic, not to mention the typical racial enmity that occurred between the halflings and the human. Nazir carries the typical halfling sling of his people, but prefers to settle things through spells and diplomacy.

However, from his many travels, Nazir picked up the Wilting, a plague that's been spreading all around the land.

Projected Party Role:
I project that Nazir's role will be as a party face rather than as an incredibly combatant; the main enemies of the campaign will be the undead, and an overwhelming majority of Nazir's magic will be utterly ineffective. Nazir will also serve an important function as the skill monkey/ trap-finder of the party!

Player:
Nazir's player already knew that this campaign would be undead-heavy going into it, and the fact that he chose to play a beguiler says a lot about him! Nazir's player is very mild-mannered, a touch awkward, but he knows his way around a d20; he's also a very good roleplayer as well, so I'm ecstatic to have him on board!
2. Murtog the Human Wizard:
Murtog is an older member of the party, and his catchphrase (according to his player) is "I'm too old for this! [scrubbed]"

He served as a city guard, a crossbowman, for one of the smaller cities which didn't have just undead in the police force for several years, but eventually retired, frustrated with the negativity in the force and in the city. He eventually decided to learn magic, and after years of studying, is ready to travel the world to improve his spellbook.

Unfortunately, he was stricken with the Wilting plague during his arcane wanderings.

Projected Party Role:
I suspect Murtog will be a vital voice of reason in the party, as well as the primary necromancer, and he uses his spells in creative and unusual ways (when it's within the spirit of the rules, I tend to reward that)

Player:
Murtog's player is an incredibly funny, skew-ball sort of guy, an experienced player who looks at things a little bit differently. His player doesn't always have patience for some of the antics of the newer members, but I hope that he'll be good for this!

3. Vladimir Romach the (Mostly) Human Dragonfire Adept:
Vladimir is a mover and shaker in the party; whether knowingly or unknowingly, he's the player who makes the greatest changes to the plot trajectory. Similarly, he's also the most unusual character.

Vladimir Romach lived a pretty typical rural life in the area right around where the campaign began, his only peculiarity being that after 19 years of life, he had never gotten sick, possessed of an almost superhuman constitution.

However, everything changed the day he found a small goblet. This goblet contained a captured dragon spirit, and it flew into him and partially merged with his host.

The dragon spirit who had slumbered in stasis in the goblet for several hundred years was enraged to find necromancers ruling the continent, undead regarded as sources of labor and even allies, and the dragons all driven underground. The dragon, a silver male named Chromatoa, wishes to restore dragons to their rightful place as the supervisors of the continent, and kill the undead.

To these ends, Chromatoa can pass on some of his abilities to Romach- Romach is less likely to submit to paralyzing or sleep magic, has the ability to breathe out a cone of flame, the ability to immunize others to his weapon, and perhaps most unusually, Chromatoa's silver wings stretching out from his back.

Vladimir doesn't object to the dragon taking up residence in his body, or altering it; he enjoys his new powers, and the potential they have to help others. Like the fire he can breathe, Vladimir is impulsive and passionate.

However, the merging of a draconian and human mind in a single body is not without its disadvantages; Vladimir's perception of the world and his general awareness are significantly worse than that of a normal human. Vladimir has no common sense, thinks before he acts, and arguably doesn't even think after he acts; he was very little self-reflective capability. His shared mind makes him more vulnerable to being taken over using enchantment magic, and his impulsive actions certainly do not earn him friends.

Vladimir trusts wholeheartedly in his fire, not even carrying any other weapon.

Projected Party Role:
Besides his party role of being "the stupid one," Vladimir is often a cause of conflict in the group, but a good consistent source of damage, as well as his ability to buff the party so they can walk in heat or cold without worry.

Player:
Vladimir's player is perhaps only slightly more socially aware than his character, which he rather aptly calls "Naruto- Now With Dragons!" He's overwhelmingly enthusiastic, but I worry that other players might eventually come to resent both his and his characters overwhelming exuberance.
4. The Nameless Human Cleric:

The Nameless Cleric is perhaps the silliest character I have ever allowed into any of my campaigns; however, in his earlier life, he didn't start that way.

The Nameless Cleric was always a bit sardonic, living the chaotic, whimsical life of a cleric of the chaotic neutral goddess Trickster. However, his delights in pranks and spontaneous prayer eventually worked against him; after a few too many insults towards his patron goddess during the prayer service, she cursed him with the ability to communicate through any means other than profanity.

The Nameless Cleric has meanwhile been wandering around, often getting kicked out of whatever settlements he found only seconds after opening his mouth. Many things about the character are uncertain; even whether he seeks to reverse his infliction remains to be seen. Sadly, his character picked up the plague called the Wilting during his travels. His characters characteristic weapon is a morningstar.

Projected Party Role:
The Nameless Cleric will likely be source of relieving tension for the party. Besides his obvious comedic roles in the party, once he finally communicates to the others that he is capable of healing, he will quickly become one of the most valued party members.

Player:
The Nameless Cleric's player used to play DnD, but ceased for all of high school and half of college before taking it back up again. He's an incredibly wry, silly person, hence his character concept, apparently an homage to a novel called Hyperion, and at first, I was reluctant for him to play this character.

However, I think that even though his character can't do much talking, the players' presence at the table is a huge morale boost for everyone; everybody likes him and the jokes he cracks in the metagame, even if his character is only physically capable of insulting others in-game.
5. Soji the Elven Paladin:
Soji, unlike other elves, had no talent for the wizardry common to his people. He failed their education programs, with very little to no knowledge gleaned from his time in school, and eventually left the elven kingdom of Arcadia in shame.

Upon leaving Arcadia, Soji discovered that the humans were using undead, something his culture viewed as disgusting and horrible. His rage gave him strength, and an as of yet unknown divine power sponsored his cause, giving him the ability to focus his rage into some of his attacks against evil undead, as well as an innate ability to determine the depravity and malevolence of those around him.

Soji travels around, trying to bring the light of goodness into a realm which is often darkened by maliciousness and evil, and increasing his skill with his fine elven longsword. Unfortunately, he's picked up the plague during his travels.

Soji, despite trying as hard as he can to observe the moral code he senses he must follow to keep his God-granted powers, does have a few vices to contend with; his love of loose women and wine could prove to be his undoing!

Projected Party Role:
I suspect that Soji will, besides providing vital melee support, provide a strong moral component to the party. He could end up being the one able to help make sure Vladimir's impulsiveness doesn't cause harm to innocent life.

Player:
Soji's player is a complete newbie to DnD. Unfortunately, however, his work often contradicts with the game's weekly time, so it's unclear as of yet if he'll be able to be in the campaign at all (not to mention I'm not sure whether or not he'll like DnD!)
6. Imae the Elf Barbarian:
Imae lived in the unexplored Western Wilds of Arcadia, bordering the human part of the continent with her tribe of barbarians, a tiny enclave noble savages, the descendent of an original group of primitivists who objected to the traditional elven education in wizardry, either because they didn't have the intellect to comprehend it, or on moral grounds.

Unlike many of her tribesmen, however, Imae was uncommonly bright, and thus when her tribe was afflicted with a plague called the Wilting, they sent her away to the human kingdoms to try to find a cure.

Imae is a gentle environmentalist, skilled in the art of horticulture and knowledgable in the ways of the natural world. She was enraged to find that humans disrupted the balance of nature, of life and death, by animating their dead to serve as labor. Imae believes in a gentler way, of harming no innocents, and living the simple lifestyle of a wanderer.

Imae also has a great treasure and ally in the form of her horse companion, a dappled gray stallion named Speckles. She rides Speckles in the tradition of her community, with neither saddle nor bridle (she traded her fast movement for the ability to ride bareback without penalty,) and treats the horse as she would a friend. She fights with a warhammer that belonged to her ancestors.

Projected Party Role:
I suspect that Imae will, besides serving as an enormous dealer (and receiver) of damage, serve as something of a voice of morality, given her detestation of the degradation of innocent life. She also will make a good protector of the mages, and given her love of the natural world, one day may even multiclass as a druid or ranger!

Player:
Imae's player previously played in one of my campaigns, but seemed bored and distracted throughout the entirety of it, generally uneager to read the sourcebooks or learn the rules. She's still a bit confused about rules, and refreshingly uninterested in optimization (an elf barbarian speaks to that a bit!) I tried teaching her more about the rules, and building her a customized character, and I think it will help; she seems genuinely excited to play this time, and I truly hope this goes well!

7. The Nameless 'Wood Elf':

A succubus summoned from the bowels of hell by a lecherous wizard with more gonads than common sense, this as of yet unnamed character will be joining up with the party later, perhaps in the guise of a beautiful purple-haired elf.

Projected Party Role:
I suspect she'll serve as a party face, and as an archer and secondary magician, what with all of her powerful spell-like abilities.

Player:
Her player is experienced in DnD, having played in my last campaign as well; she's a good roleplayer, and her character from the last campaign was one of the most well-fleshed out in terms of personality, at least (She's not the best with backstories). Her attendance remains to be seen; I suspect she might have similar conflicts to Soji's player.