PDA

View Full Version : What are the best spells to harass enemies in limited space?

gallagher
2011-10-23, 05:02 PM
say that they are limited in a tunnel, or hallway, walls of ice or by some other structure that makes them limited in the area that they can move...

everyone knows about cloudkill, but i like the idea of forcing guys to move through an effected area.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-23, 05:04 PM
Grease
Evard's Tentacles
any swarm you summon

herrhauptmann
2011-10-23, 05:07 PM
There's an evards tentacles upgrade that deals negative levels. Check MoF and PGtF.

Another spell causes a tunnel to constrict on the people inside it, don't think it crushes and does an insta-kill, but it will trap them for a while, probably doing continuous damage.

Safety Sword
2011-10-23, 07:28 PM
In the early levels Web (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm) can deny squares effectively.

Quite annoying in a hallway.

Psyren
2011-10-23, 09:07 PM
You should probably specify 3.5 or PF, because many battlefield control spells were altered between the two editions (as well as the options of players in dealing with those spells.)

Diefje
2011-10-23, 09:31 PM
Illusions are a good option here. Unless they see you put them up, dead ends, cave-ins, chasms, wall-offs, and all sorts of things are common place in tunnels.

Making terrain difficult too. Wall of X, rock to mud, spike stones. May not be super hard to beat, but can slow people down

Weezer
2011-10-23, 09:42 PM
All the various walls are great, either to block escape, cut groups in half or to stop them from charging you. But pretty much any battlefield control spell will be even better in tight places.

Hirax
2011-10-23, 09:42 PM
Obscuring snow+snowsight

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-23, 09:46 PM
In a long, narrow hallway, cast Wall of Fire against one wall. Throw a Grease spell in front of and/or behind them, and/or make sure it's in a hallway with a pit trap.

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-23, 10:15 PM
You could get Ice Web and Arctic Haze, both from Frostburn. They last for 10min/lvl each and the Ice Web is quite hard to go through, so you could basically sit and wait for the 1d6+4 damage to kill them. I would call it harass because it's only 1d6+4/round, but I think it's game over, most of the time :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-23, 10:22 PM
If you have a little bit of vegetation, Entagle is incredibly useful in both open spaces and cramped ones...

Also I believe this is one of the times were cone and line spells would work incredibly well.

jaybird
2011-10-23, 10:32 PM
If they're already in single file, you can't beat Lightning Bolt. I think the Clouds "stretch" as well...so instead of 5x5 you could have 1x25, for example.

Randomguy
2011-10-23, 10:34 PM
Freezing cloud: it's an improved version of solid fog, combined with grease, that also does damage over time.

Polymorph any object, for when that hallway just absolutely needs a pit full of acid in the middle.

panaikhan
2011-10-24, 07:15 AM
There's a wonderful combo that WLD introduced me to.
Maximized Cloudkill and Forcecage (Bars version)
Gas can get in, PC's can't get out.

Darrin
2011-10-24, 11:25 AM
There's a wonderful combo that WLD introduced me to.
Maximized Cloudkill and Forcecage (Bars version)
Gas can get in, PC's can't get out.

Was that actually printed in WLD? Pretty lousy d-bag move from a module that says, "Battlefield control spells are too powerful, and aren't allowed in WLD."

Popular BC Spells

1st:
entangle
obscuring mist
pyrotechnics
grease
ice slick (grease for healbots)
path of frost (grease for treehuggers
blockade (swift action 5' cube of wood)
sticky floor

2nd:
fog cloud
web
briar web
cloud of bewilderment
Kelgore's grave mist
incendiary slime (all the fun of grease, plus flammable)

3rd:
stinking cloud
sleet storm
legion of sentinels
caustic smoke (acid cloud's little sister)

4th:
ice storm
solid fog
Evard's hentai collection
wall of fire
wall of sand
lightning fog

5th:
wall of thorns
Daltim's fiery tentacles

6th:
acid fog