PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus vs Eldritch Knight

Stone Heart
2011-10-23, 11:58 PM
Now that there is the Magus base class, I can't see much reason to use the Eldritch Knight prestige class, am I missing something? Is it just a lesser version of the magus? Or does it have some ability I missed when going over it that makes it worth it?

Curious
2011-10-24, 12:15 AM
An Eldritch Knight gets 9th level spells.

Tael
2011-10-24, 12:15 AM
The Eldritch Knight was a poorly designed PrC from way back when WotC thought that letting wizards swing a sword or fighter cast Magic Missile was incredibly overpowered.

The Magus was just developed a few months ago by Paizo, and is a well designed Gish with a few editing errors and slightly too strong at low levels.

Pretty much the only reason to use EK is when making a character that absolutely needs to have both full BaB and 9th level spells.

Talentless
2011-10-24, 12:25 AM
The Eldritch Knight was a poorly designed PrC from way back when WotC thought that letting wizards swing a sword or fighter cast Magic Missile was incredibly overpowered.

The Magus was just developed a few months ago by Paizo, and is a well designed Gish with a few editing errors and slightly too strong at low levels.

Pretty much the only reason to use EK is when making a character that absolutely needs to have both full BaB and 9th level spells.

That, and if for whatever reason someone rolls up a caster or fighter at the start, then partway through the campaign decides that they would rather Gish it allows for some modicum of not suckage (Mind, more often than not someone swapping to Gish halfway through will suck anyways) But it is there.

Psyren
2011-10-24, 12:30 AM
Some people want to be a gish at all levels rather than starting as a caster or starting as a melee and then incorporating the other half later. For those people, gish-in-a-can classes like Magus, Psywar and Duskblade are more fun to play.

But for those who don't mind waiting a bit to come into their own, or for those who want more power at the top end, a PrC like Eldritch Knight or Slayer has much greater potential.

Stone Heart
2011-10-24, 04:12 PM
Ah we usually don't use gishs (gishes? whats the plural there?) outside of the prebuilt classes, so I had not considered that. Also I had not thought about the full BAB and spellcasting, those both seem pretty good.