PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow Check This Out!!!!

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-24, 09:11 AM
If I have uncanny dodge (and improved uncanny dodge, while im at it), am I vulnerable to a feint sneak attack?

I would think not, because if I get my dex to ac when flat-footed and against invisible attackers (basically when I don't know an attack is coming), then I should get it to feint attacks too, right?

Also, say that through a houserule mechanic, I can use a shield to negate attacks by expending an attack of opportunity and making an opposed attack roll (via twf & improved shield bash). If I can do that, and I have uncanny dodge and combat reflexes (and thus can make AoO's flat-footed), would you say that I could parry a feint without making the sense motive check? Of course there is no official ruling for that, but as a DM, what would you say?

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-25, 02:01 AM
...that was a dirty trick and I apologize.

TurtleKing
2011-10-25, 02:03 AM
Holy Moooo!

GoatBoy
2011-10-25, 02:41 AM
She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.

It doesn't say that you always retain your Dexterity bonus to AC against all attacks, only that you retain it in those specific circumstances (flat-footed or invisible attacker). If it applied in all cases, the ability would likely say so. In the case of a feint, you would lose your Dex bonus, according to the rules.

Human Paragon 3
2011-10-25, 11:14 AM
Feint still works on uncanny dodging foes. It's one of the only things that does!

Person_Man
2011-10-25, 12:17 PM
Why are we all yelling!!!!!! (?)

Yora
2011-10-25, 12:19 PM
I Don't Know!!!

The Glyphstone
2011-10-25, 12:20 PM
Half-Celestial Minotaur Paladin?

Morph Bark
2011-10-25, 01:12 PM
It doesn't say that you always retain your Dexterity bonus to AC against all attacks, only that you retain it in those specific circumstances (flat-footed or invisible attacker). If it applied in all cases, the ability would likely say so. In the case of a feint, you would lose your Dex bonus, according to the rules.

At first instinct I thought you might be wrong, so I went to check the SRD to see if feinting makes the target flat-footed:

Feinting is a standard action. To feint, make a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check by your target. The target may add his base attack bonus to this Sense Motive check. If your Bluff check result exceeds your target’s Sense Motive check result, the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

When feinting in this way against a nonhumanoid you take a -4 penalty. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2), you take a -8 penalty. Against a nonintelligent creature, it’s impossible.

Feinting in combat does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

It specifically says you cannot use your Dex bonus against the feinter, not that it makes you flat-footed.

DonutBoy12321
2011-10-25, 04:30 PM
Holy Moooo!

Half-Celestial Minotaur Paladin?

Okay, so I'm not the only one who finds the thread name strange?

Medic!
2011-10-25, 04:35 PM
http://guildmistress.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/holycow56.jpg

DonutBoy12321
2011-10-25, 04:42 PM
@Medic! You have just won this thread. Congratulations.

Marnath
2011-10-25, 04:45 PM
@Medic! You have just won this thread. Congratulations.

Or at least he would have if he had gotten the gender right. :smalltongue:

Errata
2011-10-25, 04:46 PM
In the case of a feint, you would lose your Dex bonus, according to the rules.

What if the person feinting was invisible and you were flat footed?

Morph Bark
2011-10-25, 04:53 PM
What if the person feinting was invisible and you were flat footed?

Then the other person couldn't see you feint, making the feint useless, or he could see you feint, making your invisibility useless, but in the latter case you wouldn't be flat-footed, so in this case you couldn't see the feint. :smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-25, 06:04 PM
Then the other person couldn't see you feint, making the feint useless, or he could see you feint, making your invisibility useless, but in the latter case you wouldn't be flat-footed, so in this case you couldn't see the feint. :smallamused:

Make sure your feint is really noisy so you can feint them despite your invisibility.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-25, 06:11 PM
Guys, listen to yourselves. You're talking about this as if people actually use feint.

Being able to negate a subpar special move isn't exactly "awesome" material.