PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Kingmaker? [Pathfinder]

Lifeson
2011-10-24, 10:39 AM
I want to run a Zelda-based game.

I also want to run the Pathfinder Kingmaker module.

Of course, I want to put them together. I'm also a little afraid of messing up terribadly. I want to know if this is a good/bad idea, what could be done to improve it.

Thoughts already:

Make it early in the timeline, yet colonizing the various areas of "West Hyrule" seen in Zelda II
Gorons and Zoras and Kokiri and Gerudos, oh my!
I'm confident in the fact I can find a Zelda replacement for pretty much everything.

Aaaand that's about it.

Kira_the_5th
2011-10-25, 08:40 PM
First and foremost, if you are planning on running this here, could I get in on it? Because this sounds like it could be awesome.

More to the point, how would you go about implementing the more malevolent beings in the adventure path? For the first two or three, heck maybe even the first five you could be alright, but I can't think of a good replacement for the First World beings specifically the evil nymph in Night of A Thousand Screams who plays a part in a whole lot of the plot throughout. I mean, you might be able to use the twilight realm but it's not a guaranteed fix.

Frosty
2011-10-25, 08:50 PM
I am SO in.

9mm
2011-10-25, 09:10 PM
the two... don't really mesh.

while using the zelda races is fine and maybe you can sub the final boss for ganon, other zelda tropes such as the sages, temples, and music don't fit well with carving a kingdom out of a wilderness.

Dienekes
2011-10-25, 10:59 PM
If you did it I would be interested. Though personally I think some homebrew would help get the feel of Zelda a little better (for instance make Whirlwind Attack feat easier to get).

Nanoblack
2011-10-26, 05:18 PM
I am SO in.

^ This. If this ever makes it to the recruiting stage, know that you will have a faithful player in me. I think a summoner would be all kinds of fun in this setting.

EDIT: Right... this isn't a recruitment thread... Well on topic, keep in mind that as DM you have the ability to add whatever you need to the LoZ universe that you think you will need to keep the game fun. I don't know much about Kingmaker due to my intense desire to play it without spoilers, but this seems like an excellent setting for such a game.

One question though: Do you intend to run this game during any of the timelines of the LoZ games? Seems like it could either make or break the game depending on timeline choice and execution.

Qwertystop
2011-10-26, 06:12 PM
I've never played Pathfinder, but if it's fairly simple to learn, I'm in too. Never seen the module, so no chance of accidental metagaming.

If, as 9mm said, it's to do with "carving a kingdom out of a wilderness", you might focus on around the Skyward Sword end of the timeline. That's around the beginning of the timeline, before the establishment of Hyrule (possibly Hyrule is established at the end of the game), if I recall. Just a little bit after that and it would fit perfectly.

Beowulf DW
2011-10-26, 07:58 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised that this got Kira's attention, too.

I've noticed that a few of the more recent Zelda games have taken place toward the beginning of the timeline. Minnish Cap established how the iconic hat came to be, and now we have Skyward Sword...

The establishment of Hyrule would naturally involve some kind of struggle over the Triforce. The Sages would have to come forth to seal it away, and establish the royal family and the Hyrule Knights to watch over the sages.

Also, if this is done in the Playground, I'd love to get in on it.

Grytorm
2011-10-26, 11:16 PM
Perhaps you could include some excuse for us to build the temples.

Janus
2011-10-26, 11:49 PM
May I humbly suggest that if you run a Zelda-based game, you say "screw the timeline" and do whatever makes for a good/fun game?

Good luck!

Beowulf DW
2011-10-27, 07:42 AM
May I humbly suggest that if you run a Zelda-based game, you say "screw the timeline" and do whatever makes for a good/fun game?

Good luck!

Also a viable option!:smallsmile: