PDA

View Full Version : If someone wouldn't mind...

OnardPod
2011-10-24, 03:37 PM
I would like to run a final fantasy like campaign with some friends from home. Out of all of the games, I really found the lore, as well as the appearance, of the summons from ff12 interesting. So my question is, how would one go about creating these monsters? I am aiming for them to be individual combat encounters, as well npc summons(or something like that).
I know there are 13 of them, but any advice or such would be appreciated

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-24, 05:08 PM
In all of the Final Fantasy games I played, the summons were more like normal spells (in terms of 3.5, at least) than actual summons.

Also, the game you planned on running this in could be helpful, since there ARE several systems made for Final Fantasy.

afroakuma
2011-10-24, 05:30 PM
The summons from FFXII are called Espers/Scions in that game, and share members/traits with the Totema of FFTA and with the Lucavi of Final Fantasy Tactics.

As someone currently running a D&D game in that world, with those entities, my advice for that system is not to stat them too directly; use broad strokes to define their limits only in terms of how grievously they can injure the party. D&D does not typically support long combats against powerful solo creatures, so rather than adhere to the standard hit die model I simply assigned arbitrary HP to ensure combat would feel epic.

OnardPod
2011-10-24, 05:48 PM
As someone currently running a D&D game in that world, with those entities, my advice for that system is not to stat them too directly; use broad strokes to define their limits only in terms of how grievously they can injure the party. D&D does not typically support long combats against powerful solo creatures, so rather than adhere to the standard hit die model I simply assigned arbitrary HP to ensure combat would feel epic.

So basically inflate the HP until I feel it should be defeated? Ok, thanks that idea helps a lot.
Would it be smart to just stat out their ac, any ability scores important for combat, spell like abilities/ special attacks, and leave everything else to fluff.

The general thing I am going for is a fight to earn the espers, and then they will just become a spell.