PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MS Word 2010. Help!

Lady Moreta
2011-10-24, 05:41 PM
I have an odd problem...

I've been making wedding invitations for my friend - the original version of the invite was created on MS Word 2007. I transferred it to my computer and my MS Word 2010 and had to download the font she wanted because I didn't have it.

I downloaded it from this site here (http://www.fonts2u.com/andalus.font) and installed it as I have installed every other font I've ever added...

But it's not working...

I change the font to Andalus (the one I downloaded) and start typing. The instant I start to type it reverts back to the default. If I type and then try to change the font afterwards it doesn't work.

I also tried changing the font to something else (Algerian in this case) and then from there change it to Andalus. It flashes to Andalus for an instant then reverts to Algerian.

I am baffled as to what happened... I've checked the fonts folder and it's right where it should be. I opened up the file to check the examples it gives you and it's definitely the right font. I can't fathom why it's not working... I've also tried using other fonts that I've downloaded and they all work fine... it's just this one font that's giving me trouble.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Howler Dagger
2011-10-24, 06:26 PM
I downloaded it from this site here and installed it as I have installed every other font I've ever added...

The thing is. I have MS 2010, and Andalus is a font you dont need to download. Its already there. Maybe you should get rid of your downloaded version?

Lady Moreta
2011-10-24, 06:30 PM
The thing is. I have MS 2010, and Andalus is a font you dont need to download. Its already there. Maybe you should get rid of your downloaded version?

... well that is truly bizarre... because I didn't have it before I downloaded it. I checked - and I've just checked again and it's definitely not a font that I already had.

I have semi-solved the problem by saving the documents in compatability mode, but that strikes me as a really bad solution. Later this week I should have access to the computer (and version of Word) the invitations were originally created on, which did have Andalus. I might just yoink it from that computer and ensure I have the proper version.

Still, if anyone has any bright ideas I'll be glad to hear them. I quite like this font now that I have it and I'll be really annoyed if I can only use it by saving documents in compatability mode.

Brother Oni
2011-10-27, 06:13 AM
I can confirm that Andalus is a pre-installed font on MS Word 2010.

Perhaps your downloaded one is confusing Word, so have you tried a repair installation of Word? This would also fix any possible corruption of your original installation, which may be why the font was missing initially.

The_Ditto
2011-10-27, 08:23 AM
have you tried saving the original document (MS 2007) and specifying "Save imbeded fonts"? (or whatever the option is/was?)

Click "Save As"
Click "Tools" (bottom left) -> Save Options
On Save "tab", near bottom, "Embed fonts in the file"
Check it off, and re-save the document. Then try loading in 2010 again.

Lady Moreta
2011-10-27, 03:56 PM
I can confirm that Andalus is a pre-installed font on MS Word 2010.

Perhaps your downloaded one is confusing Word, so have you tried a repair installation of Word? This would also fix any possible corruption of your original installation, which may be why the font was missing initially.

As I said before, it's not pre-installed on my version. At least, it didn't show up as an option in the font drop-down menu and it wasn't present in the font folder - not until I downloaded it. As far as I understand things, that means it wasn't pre-installed.

have you tried saving the original document (MS 2007) and specifying "Save imbeded fonts"? (or whatever the option is/was?)

Click "Save As"
Click "Tools" (bottom left) -> Save Options
On Save "tab", near bottom, "Embed fonts in the file"
Check it off, and re-save the document. Then try loading in 2010 again.

I might try that one - and possibly the repair installation of Word in case it's playing silly buggers with me (which wouldn't surprise me) - but that can wait til I'm back home and my techy husband can supervise :smalltongue: besides, I have wedding invitations to make right now :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-27, 09:51 PM
Have you tried using that font in any other programs to see if they have the same problem Word is having? That would at least tell you if the problem was with the font or with Word.