PDA

View Full Version : Factotums in Pathfinder

Greysect
2011-10-24, 09:02 PM
Pathfinder allows the purchase of all skills in a 1-1 basis. No cross class. Class skills give a +3 bonus when they have a rank in them. Factotums have all skills as class skills.

Compared to Tier 3 classes outside of Pathfinder, would anyone consider this unbalanced? Would anyone adjust the Factotum? An other comments or suggestions?

Curious
2011-10-24, 09:45 PM
I would say Factotum functions perfectly well in PF. It makes the Rogue and Ninja essentially obsolete, but that's because they're a mite bit underpowered.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-24, 10:27 PM
+3 in every skill?! Oh noooooooooooooooooooo! :smallwink:

Seriously though, I would say that Factotums actually have a significant nerf in Pathfinder due to the lack of Iaijutsu Focus unless the DM houserules it in from 3.0.

Edit: Also note that other Factotum favorites like the Gnomish Quickrazor don't exist in PF and many of the Factotum "go-to" spells like Alter Self have been nerfed. I would honestly give Factotums a buff if they're expected to perform at tier-3 levels.

Tokuhara
2011-10-24, 10:30 PM
+3 in every skill?! Oh noooooooooooooooooooo! :smallwink:

Seriously though, I would say that Factotums actually have a significant nerf in Pathfinder due to the lack of Iaijutsu Focus unless the DM houserules it in from 3.0.

Just because there is no Iaijutsu Focus doesn't mean Factotum is nerfed. Does Changeling Factotum/Chameleon ring a bell?

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-24, 10:35 PM
Just because there is no Iaijutsu Focus doesn't mean Factotum is nerfed. Does Changeling Factotum/Chameleon ring a bell?

Well, neither the D&D Changeling (the PF Changelings are half hag women) nor the Chameleon exists in PF either without DM approval, and isn't that powerful on its own. Versatile, but lacks the "oomph" of a lot of other classes when a lot of its tricks don't work.

GoatBoy
2011-10-24, 10:42 PM
You will have to decide what to do with the turning undead part of Opportunistic Piety, since that method of turning undead is no longer present in Pathfinder. Something like dealing damage for undead feels pretty weak. If you don't want to invent something new, I'd suggest introducing channel foci (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/channel-foci) to give them something useful to do with their uses per day.

It seems reasonable that inspiration points could also be used for combat maneuvers.

I've had a factotum in my Pathfinder game for more than a year now. He's built more for flavour than power, but he has functioned well enough so far.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-24, 11:03 PM
You will have to decide what to do with the turning undead part of Opportunistic Piety, since that method of turning undead is no longer present in Pathfinder. Something like dealing damage for undead feels pretty weak. If you don't want to invent something new, I'd suggest introducing channel foci (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/channel-foci) to give them something useful to do with their uses per day.
Turn Undead exists. It's a feat called, you guessed it, Turn Undead.