PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Craft Points when...?

Grey Guard
2011-10-25, 02:05 AM
I'm starting up a RHoD game, and one of my players has expressed interest in playing an Artificer. He doesn't really know how to break the class (and wouldn't if he did), so I'm not worried about it. However, we've nixed spending EXP when it comes to crafting stuff. I want him to be able to use his Craft Points still, but those only worked in conjunction with something we've removed.

I've thought about giving him roughling five times as many points and letting him use them in the place of gold, and while I like that, it still doesn't seem like much. Any ideas I can't think of?

panaikhan
2011-10-25, 07:07 AM
Let him do something unusual with them.
Perhaps recharge limited-use items, or even use them instead of charges. You would have to work out a conversion rate so it wasn't too broken (still, he only gets them every time he levels up so 1CP per level per charge seems OK).

Qwertystop
2011-10-25, 07:17 AM
Are you talking about the Craft Points alternate rule or the Artificer's Craft Reserve?

One is a rule that allows the faster creation of magic items by expending points that are gained on leveling. The other is a class feature that allows you to disassemble magic items to gain XP for crafting new ones with.

If you're talking about the former, no adjustment is needed.

If you're talking about the latter, work out some kind of conversion. You could use it to replace gold for item creation, certainly. Maybe base the points gained on the GP cost of the deconstructed item, instead of on the XP cost. Then you might not even need a conversion rate.

Grey Guard
2011-10-25, 09:48 AM
My bad. Yeah, I meant the Artificer's Craft Reserve. I've never given the Craft Points in UA more than a glance, to be honest.

Letting him deconstruct based on the gold cost is... brilliantly simple, actually. I just may have to go with that, and if it ends up getting ridiculous, I can do something about that later.

The one reservation I may have is that he'll have tons of points and I won't see him running out of charges on his wands anytime soon. Not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose. Two other party members have UMD, so he wouldn't be the only one to benefit.

panaikhan
2011-10-26, 07:38 AM
If having him power up other people's wands is a problem, have it just work for him - he expends (X * spell) level points to activate the wand instead of using it's charges. I'm sure there's a class ability somewhere that lets casters do this with spells, and they get those back every day.