PDA

View Full Version : New 3.5 Armour: Skin of a Warforged (PEACH)

Mangles
2011-10-25, 02:32 AM
Warforged armour

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdrB8-cYeu_KeGO9U6XqSfw3LLZ-xaXnJIjF_A50IPMaT-Dvnw

Having downed his greatest foe to date, the arena champion was able to claim his prize. "I choose him. The body of the warforged." Many would say that it was madness but the champion could choose his prize. The champion was no madman, he had a plan for the body. He would forge himself armour that would keep him arena champion for a long time to come.

Warforged armour is made literally from the corpses of dead warforged, here on referred to as the base creature. The corpse is re-purposed much like that of an animals hide is. Warforged armour is a full suit including boots and gloves, functioning much in the same way as full plate, including the need to be individually fitted to its owner.

Warforged armour keeps the composite plating, fortification and natural weapons of the base creature it has been made from. Should the base creature have any racial warforged feats that modify these values, than the armour has these bonuses or downfalls as well. In addition warforged armour can be fitted with warforged components much like a warforged could.

The cost of a warforged armour is different depending on the strength of the base creature. The base price of warforged armour with no racial feats is 1500. Warforged armour is always considered masterwork and this is included in the price. For each racial warforged feat the base creature possessed the price of the armour increase. This increase is equal to 1500 gp plus an extra 500 gp for each point of DR or AC granted by the feat.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Happy with the price point. What does everyone think?

Veklim
2011-10-25, 05:34 AM
I see the trouble here, honestly it's virtually impossible to come up with a way of one-cost-fits-all prices for something like this. Is there a particular reason you don't wanna have different values for each type? Would have thought +1500 for cold iron/silver tracery and spiked body, +3000 for mithral & ironwood and +6000 for adamantine. None of the other feats should apply, since they relate to the application of knowledge and skill, rather than a physical difference in the warforged's body itself.

Another way to go would be to make a base price for the feats as 1500, then add 500 for each point of DR and AC it gives, so the extra paid for mithral would be 1500+(5*500) for a total of 4000, which is incidentally the same as ironwood would be, whereas adamantine would be 1500+(10*500), giving you an additional 6500 for it. Cold iron, silver tracery and spiked body give you neither AC or DR, so they would cost only the additional base amount of 1500.

Hope this helps some...?

Mangles
2011-10-25, 05:54 AM
The first method unfortunately doesn't cover Improved Damage Reduction, Improved Fortification, Mithral Fluidity and any other splat book feats that I don't know about. This was the main reason I wanted a set price, so that any WotC material I didn't know about, or anybodies homebrew could apply.

The second option is pretty good. Unless a better option comes forth I will probably go with it. Besides the price point what did you think of the item iteself.

Veklim
2011-10-26, 05:34 AM
I think the idea for the item is superb actually. That's why I took the time to firgure a pricing or two! Not only does the item make perfect logical sense to exist, but it also gives the opportunity for some really interesting RP experiences too. What happens if someone wearing this stuff finds the sudden need to ask a warforged for help? Would house Cannith allow such a blatant disregard for their property/workmanship? Could you magically develop the armour further, becoming more and more akin to the warforged? Could the previous owner of the skin still inhabit the armour in one way or another (Ghostwalk gives some very interesting options for ghosts/spirits)?

Mangles
2011-10-26, 03:29 PM
I'd leave the RP options up to the DM, but yes there are plenty of them depending what your 'verse is like. In Eberron especially of course, but in other 'verses this could lead to warforged being hunted like game for their "pelts".

Germille
2011-10-27, 06:14 PM
[CENTER]Warforged armour
Warforged armour is made literally from the corpses of dead warforged, here on referred to as the base creature. The corpse is re-purposed much like that of an animals hide is. Warforged armour is a full suit including boots and gloves, functioning much in the same way as full plate, including the need to be individually fitted to its owner.

Hmm...
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I though it was stated on the books that the components of the warforged corpses degraded so fast that they retained no value.

Aside pointing this out. I think it seems like an interesting Idea.

Mangles
2011-10-27, 09:21 PM
They probably did for ballance reasons, but at the time I had not been aware of it. I really can't see it being an issue. The "Skin" of a Warforged still needs to be crafted just like dragon scale for example. Also thanks for pointing this out. Did you like the item besides the fluff conflict?

Germille
2011-10-28, 06:52 AM
They probably did for ballance reasons, but at the time I had not been aware of it. I really can't see it being an issue. The "Skin" of a Warforged still needs to be crafted just like dragon scale for example. Also thanks for pointing this out. Did you like the item besides the fluff conflict?

Well, it was probably for balance and stuff (also having a main player race already hated also hunted would be too much perhaps)

The item seems good, I'm not sure about the fluff (I don't DM eberron myself) But I might give my players an armor with some natural weapons to see what happens :P

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-20, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, the only way I could see this becoming a big thing is if you managed to come across a warforged that put all of its feats into something like Adamantine Body and only doing DR.
Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost. Just give me a Warforged. :smallbiggrin:

But nice concept though.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-21, 02:24 AM
The cost of a warforged armour is different depending on the strength of the base creature. The base price of warforged armour with no racial feats is 1500. Warforged armour is always considered masterwork and this is included in the price. For each racial warforged feat the base creature possessed the price of the armour increase. This increase is equal to 1500 gp plus an extra 500 gp for each point of DR or AC granted by the feat.

Happy with the price point. What does everyone think?

Too low. You're better off pricing it as identical to a suit of appropriately enchanted armor. And that just makes it magic armor with some flavor text.

The only reason to make this any different from normal armor is if it gives you something that you normally don't get from armor. What do you think would be appropriate?