PDA

View Full Version : More dragon feats!

ILM
2011-10-25, 06:27 AM
So I just discovered Wyrms of War and thus got 3 free feats to play with on a dragon cohort. Here are a few questions that stem from this:
- Hover or Wingover?
- I could have sworn I’d seen a feat somewhere that allowed a dragon to use his breath weapon while flying, thus raking through a much larger area than he normally would. I can’t find it anymore though, anyone?
- I really like the flavour of the Shock Wave feat (Draconomicon) but I get a feeling it’s a trap. Thoughts?
- Are there any feats or items to augment the damage on your breath weapon? I don't mean metabreath feats like Maximize, but rather stuff that adds extra dice (speaking of which, is there an Empower metabreath feat?)

Zagaroth
2011-10-25, 07:39 AM
Check out Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic. More of that stuff is geared towards PCs instead, but both should have things that could help.

Also check out Savage Species, and run anything you like there by your DM.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-25, 07:48 AM
IIRC there's a feat called Strafing Breath, but I can't find it. That one should do the flying/breathing thing you're looking for. There's also Flyby Breath from DCS.

hamishspence
2011-10-25, 08:00 AM
The Dragonlance Campaign Setting splatbook's Strafing Breath feat (with Flyby Breath as a prerequisite) is the one.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-25, 08:07 AM
The Dragonlance Campaign Setting splatbook's Strafing Breath feat (with Flyby Breath as a prerequisite) is the one.

Huh, so they're from the same source. Strange that strafing breath isn't on wizards list while flyby breath is...

hamishspence
2011-10-25, 08:28 AM
It is a bit odd.

JaronK
2011-10-25, 10:43 AM
There are metabreath feats like Clinging Breath that augment the damage. Pretty sure there's a Maximize Breath as well, and there's a Quickened Breath if you want.

Metabreath feats work even better with spells that apply effects to your breath weapon.

JaronK

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-10-25, 08:47 PM
There are metabreath feats like Clinging Breath that augment the damage. Pretty sure there's a Maximize Breath as well, and there's a Quickened Breath if you want.

Metabreath feats work even better with spells that apply effects to your breath weapon.

JaronKwhat do you mea

candycorn
2011-10-25, 09:17 PM
Some spells, notably those in the draconomicon, add extra effects to breath weapons, such as extra damage. Since their entire effect is changing your breath weapon, then technically any metabreath you use affects the modified breath.

So a dragon with a 10d8 breath weapon, that casts Breath Weapon Admixture for another energy type, now has a breath weapon that deals 10d8 of one energy, and 10d8 of another.

If you used Maximize Breath on that, it's now a breath weapon for 160 damage.

JaronK
2011-10-25, 09:37 PM
Check Draconomicon for spells that effect your breath weapon.

JaronK

ILM
2011-10-26, 02:58 AM
Yeah, the dragon in question has a Sorcerer caster level of like 1 so it isn't going to do much casting - though I did pick Breath Flare as one of his spells.

Thanks for the source on Strafing Breath. As for Hover and Wingover, a Pectoral of Maneuverability and Improved Flight actually grant me both, so there. Had to give up Shock Wave though, but I get a feeling I wasn't going to get much mileage out of that one anyway.