PDA

View Full Version : Torment beyond death (3.5)

Gnaeus
2011-10-25, 09:20 AM
Our evil party has an (evil) cleric nemesis. BBEG is a worshiper of an undeath god. Our party level is 13-14, relying on a chameleon and a spirit shaman for our spell support (but we have allied casters, and we are willing to spend some cash on this!). Pretty much any 3.5 material allowed.

So, despite our best efforts to work out a peaceful solution, this particular BBEG has really gone out of his way to frack with us. Scried on us, sent assassins targeting our weaknesses to kill us, kill our friends.... We are seriously angry at this individual. We finally have him in our sights, and will hopefully be killing him next game.

So here is question... What resources does 3.5 provide for getting revenge on target's soul? Lets assume we will have the body. We particularly DO NOT want his soul roaming around free to become an undead and continue messing with us (but also, party consensus is that death is not enough for him). I am looking for the 3.5 equivalent of a Giovanni binding someone's soul into a urinal cake at a major airport. Any suggestions?

Kol Korran
2011-10-25, 09:37 AM
you didn't note what level you guys are, or what high level access you might have.

trap the soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) thne put lots of anti divination spells on it, and put it somewhere quite safe, with lots of false leads and the like. or keep it on yourself, if you're the "big and nasty" of the campaign.

(cue in next adventuring party)

jokes aside, done correctly, this could keep the bugger away for a long long BORING time. perhaps you could get some alternate version where the soul is constantly tortured in the gem?

Abaddon87
2011-10-25, 09:38 AM
I'm AFB right now but there is that metal in CW that steals the soul of someone killed with it or touching it. Said person cannot be raised or rezed or w/e while the soul remains in the weapon/item. Perhaps just make a dagger or something out of this metal and make the killing blow with it. Keep dagger or item as a keepsake or just to store the soul untill something else can be done to torment said BBEG.

Thats my thoughts off the top of my head. Pretty cheap and simple but sometimes the simple plan is best!

Zaq
2011-10-25, 09:45 AM
The typical method I hear about is to trap the target's soul in something (using Trap the Soul, a thinuan dagger, or whatever), then use the object containing the soul as a spell component. It's utterly annihilated, and they're not coming back. Won't be torturing them, but really, that's probably a good thing overall.

noparlpf
2011-10-25, 09:49 AM
you didn't note what level you guys are, or what high level access you might have.

Our evil party has an (evil) cleric nemesis. BBEG is a worshiper of an undeath god. Our party level is 13-14, relying on a chameleon and a spirit shaman for our spell support (but we have allied casters, and we are willing to spend some cash on this!). Pretty much any 3.5 material allowed.

Just saying.

Anyway, I do remember a legacy weapon or an artifact or something that steals the soul of a creature, but if it's an artifact I don't remember where it's from. Alternatively, Baleful Polymorph lets you keep the BBEG as a pet, which you can torture to 0 hp as often as you want.

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-25, 09:53 AM
NOTE: Will probably require hiring some top level casters, but you do seem serious about this.

Step 0. Get the BBEG helpless, or at least in no state to fail a Will Save.
Step 1. Mindrape him into failing all Will Saves against the party caster's spells, and into whatever torturous mental state you like.
Step 2. Cast Eternity of Torture (BoVD) on him.
Step 3. Cast Imprisonment.
Step 4. Gate in a Solar and tell it that a great evil of limitless power lies underneath the land and it really should spend a few eternities watching over it. (Bluff the hell out of the Solar).
Step 5. Profit!

Gnaeus
2011-10-25, 09:57 AM
you didn't note what level you guys are,

I did. End of line 1 in OP. 13-14th level, our casters are a Chameleon and a Spirit Shaman.

or what high level access you might have.

Our biggest relevant ally is the church of a CE homebrewed god, Yawrud. We can teleport to their big temple, and with appropriate donations or favors, they will cast on our behalf. One PC's mentor is a high, but unspecified level evil wizard. We haven't watched him do much, so all we know is "more powerful than us".

We also have a business relationship with a Lich which I believe to be low-epic (he runs his own necropolis on a demi-plane with lesser lich servants). We don't much like to bother Min-Kur and he won't do anything without payment or an outside motive, but we probably would in this case.

lorddrake
2011-10-25, 01:33 PM
NOTE: Will probably require hiring some top level casters, but you do seem serious about this.

Step 0. Get the BBEG helpless, or at least in no state to fail a Will Save.
Step 1. Mindrape him into failing all Will Saves against the party caster's spells, and into whatever torturous mental state you like.
Step 2. Cast Eternity of Torture (BoVD) on him.
Step 3. Cast Imprisonment.
Step 4. Gate in a Solar and tell it that a great evil of limitless power lies underneath the land and it really should spend a few eternities watching over it. (Bluff the hell out of the Solar).
Step 5. Profit!

I can't describe how much I liked this idea, but I have to agree with noparlpf that polymorph is really nice here too. You can have a pet that you can torture for bonus points!