PDA

View Full Version : Where to find huge miniatures?

Cheesy74
2011-10-25, 12:18 PM
I've just started my first offline campaign (been running Maptool games until now) and am buying a batch of miniatures to avoid representing everything with dice and boxes. Medium and large minis are easy to find cheaply, but most huge ones are either ultra-rare and $20 apiece or sold out everywhere. Where can I get huge (preferably < $5 each) miniatures online? I don't particularly care what the material or creature depicted is.

valadil
2011-10-25, 12:21 PM
I don't know about online, but arts and crafts stores have generic fantasy monster toys for relatively cheap.

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-10-25, 03:09 PM
I bought a load of Hallowe'en spiders last year. Served me well for a few quid.

Also, I picked up some cheap monsters from toys shops - again, just a few pounds / dollars will get you no end of dinosaurs and scary beasts.

To get the scale right, buy the right size bases from a hobby miniature supplier, and stick 'em on. That bargain basement t-rex you just bought is now occupying 9 squares exactly. He's huge.

If that doesn't float your boat, and you want more specific minis, look up "paper minis" on RPG now dot com, or similar. There are loads of that sort of thing.

Ozreth
2011-10-25, 07:37 PM
If you're just starting the campaign, and I'm assuming at a lower level, how many huge creatures do you actually plan on the party encountering over the next couple of months? You could easily go 5 or 6 levels never encountering on.

Why not just buy one huge ugly type monster, maybe a troll or something that could double as something else in case the situation happens to arise any time soon. Beyond that just plan ahead. In a few months think to yourself "ok they could very well encounter so and so monster in this forest, I should find that miniature" and just by them as you go.

That way you are buying miniatures you will actually use while slowly amassing a horde of them : )

Cheesy74
2011-10-25, 10:03 PM
It's not so much about buying a lot, it's about getting any at all. And they're level 6, so there's a few Huge creatures they could conceivably fight (plus I like to **** about with size categories to deviate creatures from their official stats).

And the last thing I want to do is buy a mini for every creature or group of creatures they fight - that's crazy expensive and frankly unnecessary.

I will look into toy stores and arts and crafts stores though.

Anxe
2011-10-25, 10:33 PM
Also, legos. A lego man is about the size of a large creature. So a lego dragon would be about the size of a huge dragon. I use hobby figurines. I've got a few little animals to represent horses or wolves. Then I've got some big ones for dragons and giants and such. Action figures would pretty good for Huge sized giants.

The other thing my group has used is paper cutouts. Fold a piece of paper in half and cut up across the crease. You can create pretty much anything you want that way. Be sure to fill in for the base and then illustrate your creation with a pencil. This is what my group uses for huge zombies.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-26, 05:06 AM
Huge miniatures? Quite an oxymoron, isn't it?

AslanCross
2011-10-26, 05:53 AM
For a warforged titan, I once used a 1/144 scale Gundam model. Several Zoids could conceivably depict huge to colossal creatures as well.

Silverscale
2011-10-26, 07:36 AM
The box from a deck of cards more or less covers 6 squares and if you fudge the placement a bit it looks like it's covering 9 squares. My group will often use that and similar tricks to represent large/huge creatures. Actually since we have several of those small plastic boxes that a set of dice come in, we often use those either to represent a large creature; standing if it's tall, on it's side if it's long. We've also used them to add hight to any caracters that are flying.

That is all a long way of saying look at what you've got and make it work for you.

BTW: Beware the large bag of pennies, our DM will often use pennies to represent large numbers of weak caracters so that if there are 20 pennies on the play-mat then there are 20 different weak enemies to face......I think there are about 200 pennies in the bag though.........the running joke is;

Players: "How many goblins/orcs/kobolds are there?"
DM: Evil grin with penny-bag in hand "This many." Dumps bag onto play-mat.
Players: "AAaaaahhhh"