PDA

View Full Version : Time and the Planes

GeekGirl
2011-10-25, 01:04 PM
Greetings all, I'm starting in a campaign with heavy time travel (back to the future levels). The concept of time travel always raises some questions for me. But this time only one came to mind. Do the various planes exist in the same time stream? Like if i went back in time a caused major changes to the time stream, does the Abyssal plane feel it? I'm not talking small changes either, like (somehow) prevent the Ice age from killing the dinosaurs. What happens everywhere else?

Eldan
2011-10-25, 01:21 PM
The more or less official Planescape answer is: Sometimes, yes.

The outer planes are at once younger and older than the prime. Younger since they can not exist without the belief from the prime, older because some creatures have existed before mortals. They are retroactively old, basically.

Also some, especially the more chaotic planes, but also the OUtlands, have a lot of weird time-space shenanigans going on. They can pull fairyland tricks where you spend a night of feasting and come back 80 years later to see your children die, or spend ten years questing and come back next sunday.

So, do what works for your campaign, I guess?

Arcane_Secrets
2011-10-25, 03:43 PM
Greetings all, I'm starting in a campaign with heavy time travel (back to the future levels). The concept of time travel always raises some questions for me. But this time only one came to mind. Do the various planes exist in the same time stream? Like if i went back in time a caused major changes to the time stream, does the Abyssal plane feel it? I'm not talking small changes either, like (somehow) prevent the Ice age from killing the dinosaurs. What happens everywhere else?

I'd say yes, because a dramatic change like that would affect which souls went into the Abyss, and then developed into more potent demons that would have important historical roles in an unaffected timeline.

I'd say that there's no universal answer as to who notices this, however. Some Abyssal figures would pick up on it, and some wouldn't. Depending on who got retroactively unmade, you might actually find demons willing to help you make their enemies disappear in a way that would be nearly impossible to fight back against.