PDA

View Full Version : D20 OA/Rokugan W/Pathfinder

Lastgrasp
2011-10-25, 01:58 PM
I'm throwing around some concepts for a possible D20 Rokugan game using Pathfinder rules. Drawing from PF, OA, & D20 Rokugan books.

-UC Samurai replaces the 3.0/3.5 version. Same for the Ninja and Monks classes. Samurai also get family package from D20 Rokugan. If I go with the Crab clan game allow Barbarian & Rangers classes to be Samurai in name. Give them access to oriental weapons.

-Skill same as PF but add Iaijutsu Focus. Add Knowledge Shadowland

-How does the Shugenja, Inkyo, & Courtier convert over to PF? Any suggesting on them?

-Use the Shadowland Taint & Honor System

-The Shugenja spells should be easy to convert.

marc
2012-02-23, 03:41 PM
I'm considering doing the same myself for my next campaign.

For Samurai, I'm considering using the UC Samurai for some clans only - possibly the Unicorn and Lion. For other clans, I feel that other classes are at times more appropriate. For example: Rogues for the Scorpion and Mantis clans, Fighters with a two-weapon fighting focus for the Dragon clan, Fighters with a dueling focus for Crane, etc.

I think the Shugenja spell progession/spells known is fine as is. I would however make the following changes:
- scale the Sense Elements ability, so that it becomes more powerful/versatile or just faster to use at higher levels
- Add "Importune Kami" as a scaled ability (Importune Kami at level 3, IMportune Kami II at 5th level, etc...) instead of a series of spells, but limiting the spells available to the Shugenja's emelement focus.
- Add an additionnal ability to each Shugenja based on their Family or clan. For example: Agasha Shugenja can greate and use fireworks (for entertainment and as low-grade explosives); Tamori Shugenja gain Martial Weapon Proficiency (katana) and Weapon Focus (katana); Lion Shugenja gain an ability to commune with their ancestors (like an augury spell).

The Courtier should have a Persuasion skill (see the work Rich did revising the Diplomacy skill herehttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910 ).
In addition, he needs a scalable ability, similar to Bardic Song, that enables him to use his Diplomacy and connections to get what he wants out of others, or simply make his clan look good.
Alternately, how about some of the abilities of the Noble class http://guilesworld.sudymodesign.com/role-playing-games-stuff/dragonlance/noble.htmlfrom the Drangonlance setting?

I'm not yet sure how to tackle the Inkyo yet.

Shadowlands Taint can stay as is.

As for Honor, I would convert it to a 3-18 scale, like a 7th ability score. Players generate an Honor score when they create their PC and it can go up or down during game play based on their actions. With some slight tweaking to the Honor points system, it shouln'yt be too hard. A character with a positive Honor modifier is honorable, one with a negative modifier is dishonoroble, one with a modifirer or 0 is neither. Honor modifiers could affect saves VS acquiring the Taint, skill rolls when interacting with one's Daimyo, even attack rolls when fighting Oni under certain circumstances.

Personnally, I would completly ditch the alignement system and just have the Characters play with Honor. Dishonorable creatures are evil and or chaotic, honoroble creatures are good or lawful, and those that are neither are neutral. So a PC with an Honor modifier of +2 would probably Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral, one with an Honor modifier of -4 would be Chaotic Evil. A character with Taint would be treated as if their Honor modifier was lower by one or two points.

Placing this king of emphasis on Honor would show that the caption "Rokugan, where Honor is stronger than steel" has in game applications.

That's my two cents worth for now anyway...