PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder- armor qualities that remove move speed penalties?

Mockingbird
2011-10-25, 02:03 PM
I recently found some magical +1 hide armor. Since magical items are considered masterwork in pathfinder, there's only a -1 armor check penalty, and it changed my AC from 17 to 19. But the big drawback on this is that my move speed decreases 10 feet, because my previous armor was studded leather and had no penalty. Is there anything I can do to this armor to remove the penalty?

deuxhero
2011-10-25, 05:46 PM
Put it on a guy on a mount?

Be a dwarf?

Grab a boost to speed (Boots of Striding and Springing is a quick way)?

agentnone
2011-10-26, 01:17 AM
Take 3 levels of Fighter. They get Armor Training 1 and this lets them maintain normal movement in Medium armor. Then again at 7th level, lets them keep normal movement in Heavy armor. With exception of the stuff deuxhero mentioned, you're SOL. IIRC I believe there was an enchantment in 3.5 D&D that you could put on armor to cut the weight in half, but I could be wrong. Might be worth asking the DM if he/she would allow it.

Jeraa
2011-10-26, 01:36 AM
If your DM allows custom magic items, just enchant your armor with a continuous Expeditious Retreat spell. Price is caster level x spell level x 2000, x2 because the spell has a duration measured in minutes. So 1 x 1 x 2000 x 2, or 4,000 gold.

Or get a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing for 5500 gold, if the DM doesn't like custom items. You may be able to talk your DM into letting you enchant your armor with the same ability (perhaps without the bonus to acrobatics. That drops the boot price to 3000 gold. If I was your DM I would allow it.).

Neither one of those removes the penalty, but the Expeditious Retreat item increases your speed by 30 feet, or the boots of striding and springing adds 10 feet, bringing you right back up to where you were.

Larpus
2011-10-26, 07:20 AM
Take 3 levels of Fighter. They get Armor Training 1 and this lets them maintain normal movement in Medium armor. Then again at 7th level, lets them keep normal movement in Heavy armor. With exception of the stuff deuxhero mentioned, you're SOL. IIRC I believe there was an enchantment in 3.5 D&D that you could put on armor to cut the weight in half, but I could be wrong. Might be worth asking the DM if he/she would allow it.
Not to play the devil's advocate, if all he wants is 10ft with medium armor, 1 level of Barbarian is a better deal if he's dipping.

EDIT: If he plans to stay as much as possible on his base class, I mean.

Mockingbird
2011-10-26, 12:47 PM
Meh, these solutions all require different races, classes, all that stuff. It doesn't matter too much because I full-attack more than anything. I might buy a magic chain shirt when the party gets out of the jungle.