PDA

View Full Version : Weapon with highest Crit range

JKTrickster
2011-10-25, 02:37 PM
Is there a weapon with a crit range higher than 18-20? I don't really don't have the time to sift through all of the books that I have and I don't know how to search it online.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

subject42
2011-10-25, 02:43 PM
In 3.0 there was a bladed gauntlet that had a 17 - 20 crit range. I think it was in the Arms and Equipment guide. That's the best I've seen.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-25, 02:43 PM
a scythe is 16-20, I believe :smallsmile:

wait, no, it's x 4...

ignore me

faceroll
2011-10-25, 02:44 PM
In 3.0 there was a bladed gauntlet that had a 17 - 20 crit range. I think it was in the Arms and Equipment guide. That's the best I've seen.

Sword & Fist, and errata changed it so you'd never want to use it.

Person_Man
2011-10-25, 03:13 PM
No.

But if you use 3.0 rules, Keen effects stack. Within 3.5, there is a very limited list of ways to extend the crits - Psychic Weapon Master, the urban Barbarian variant, and a few 3.0 prestige classes (assuming you port them into 3.5 without messing with their crit extending abilities).

Also, keep in mind that getting a crit is usually mathematically inferior to just adding an additional attack from some other source. The extra benefits of crit (such as a Burst weapon) are generally quite minimal.

Ashram
2011-10-25, 03:22 PM
I think 18-20 is still the highest you can go in straight 3.5, although a greathorn minotaur's greathammer is probably the biggest bang for your buck. You have to pay for exotic weapon proficiencies, but it's 1d12, two-handed, 19-20/x4.

JKTrickster
2011-10-25, 03:36 PM
Ahh okay I understand. I was just curious and wondering if there was something out there that I missed.

My build uses crits to some degree and I was wondering if there was a better starting weapon that's all.

EDIT:

Also completely off-topic:

how many ways are there to get a ridiculous number in a particular stat? E.g. ways to boost one particular stat?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-25, 03:38 PM
Get Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) 7+ to add +2 numbers to the weapon's threat range. Since you can apply your own bonuses in the most beneficial order, you can apply that first and then Improved Critical afterward, making an 18-20 weapon go down to 11-20. Or, that Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer's 19-20/x4 would instead be 13-20/x4.

Another option if you don't want to invest so many levels plus prerequisites would be to use a standard 18-20 weapon made from Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) for a x4 multiplier. It would require an Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but it's typically well worth it.

For boosting a stat, it really depends on which stat you're boosting. Physical stats can use (Draconic) Polymorph, Bite of the Werecreature, (Reach, Persistent) Divine Agility, etc. along with the feat Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium. Mental stats are relatively quite difficult, you'd need Greater Visage of the Deity plus an Enhancement bonus plus possibly a race or template, and age bonuses also help.

Little Brother
2011-10-25, 03:43 PM
Plus Disciple of Dispater, though I don't think you can meet the prereqs of both fast enough to benefit from both it and Psychic Weapon Master.

marcielle
2011-10-25, 03:50 PM
Snake Shen from Dragon Magazine doubles crit range. Might work well on a Tash gish.

Darrin
2011-10-25, 09:25 PM
I believe the stump knife is still 17-20/x2 (A&EG), but only if you've damaged your opponent before, and of course you have to chop off your hand to use it.

Zaq
2011-10-25, 10:40 PM
I believe the stump knife is still 17-20/x2 (A&EG), but only if you've damaged your opponent before, and of course you have to chop off your hand to use it.

Hmm. I wonder if the wording on the stump knife would let a Renegade Mastermaker stick one onto their Battlefist (which I first accidentally wrote as "Battlefish," a concept awesome enough to make me mention it), since they have to explicitly cut off their hand to get the Battlefist anyway . . .

Diefje
2011-10-25, 10:51 PM
Hmm. I wonder if the wording on the stump knife would let a Renegade Mastermaker stick one onto their Battlefist (which I first accidentally wrote as "Battlefish," a concept awesome enough to make me mention it), since they have to explicitly cut off their hand to get the Battlefist anyway . . .

Alright stop that! This thread is getting entirely too silly.

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00002944/thumb/monty-pythons-flying-circus-graham-chapman-0.jpg

Cutting off your hand to stick your stump into a fish with a knife glued to it...

gbprime
2011-10-25, 11:25 PM
Plus Disciple of Dispater, though I don't think you can meet the prereqs of both fast enough to benefit from both it and Psychic Weapon Master.

No, but you can stack it with lightning mace and aptitude weapons... 13-20 threat gets you another attack at full bonus each swing. :smallamused:

Kalirren
2011-10-25, 11:32 PM
There was a build floating around this board at some point involving Disciple of Dispater, Lightning Maces, aptitude weapons, and some other crap to obtain infinite expected damage (yes, that's correct, we did the math very carefully and argued over it for pages) from a single attack. Each attack would spawn a chain of extra attacks, and extra attacks accumulated faster than they were being depleted.

grarrrg
2011-10-25, 11:33 PM

Battlefist > Battlefish

At least I'm not the only one.
I had this happen to me last week.

Braid Blade > Brain Blade

Yee-ouch!

Hmm.... We might be onto something here....

dgnslyr
2011-10-25, 11:56 PM
Did that lightning mace abuse look something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6969550&postcount=21)? It was a Test of Spite build, so nothing but the sharpest, most pungent cheese.

JKTrickster
2011-10-26, 12:39 AM
There was a build floating around this board at some point involving Disciple of Dispater, Lightning Maces, aptitude weapons, and some other crap to obtain infinite expected damage (yes, that's correct, we did the math very carefully and argued over it for pages) from a single attack. Each attack would spawn a chain of extra attacks, and extra attacks accumulated faster than they were being depleted.

I know of this build, and I know how to obtain it, but I think it isn't really necessary in the build I am looking for.

My build is more focused according to the outlines here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220273) and while it can take advantage of the Lightning Maces Aptitude Kukris trick, I am looking for something broader than just "infinite damage".

Ravens_cry
2011-10-26, 12:56 AM
Battlefist > Battlefish

At least I'm not the only one.
I had this happen to me last week.

Which leads to the question of if you cast Summon Bigger Fish (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0033.html) do you take a -2 penalty for wielding an inappropriately sized weapon?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-26, 05:13 AM
Won't work in a 3.5 game anyway. Disciple of Dispater's Iron Power only stacks with 3.0 Improved Critical. The rules specifically make that incompatible with 3.5 Improved Critical.

kulosle
2011-10-26, 06:35 AM
both stump knife and blade gauntlet are 19-20 crit chance. is there really anywhere in 3.0 or 3.5 that has a crit chance of 17-20?

Darrin
2011-10-26, 07:56 AM
both stump knife and blade gauntlet are 19-20 crit chance. is there really anywhere in 3.0 or 3.5 that has a crit chance of 17-20?

Read the description on Stump Knife again. It gets 17-20 if you've previously damaged your opponent in the encounter (although how this is different from attacking any previously-wounded opponent with any other kind of weapon isn't really adequately explained). However, it uses the term "double", so adding another multiplier via Improved Critical or Keen gets into somewhat dubious territory.

Flickerdart
2011-10-26, 09:56 AM
Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) is good at jacking up crit range, but sadly it's still 3.0 (though very, very near the end, kind of a 3.25 like the alignment books).

Mockingbird
2011-10-26, 11:47 AM
You can use a keen enchantment on one to make an 18-20 into a 16-20, then get the improved critical feat to make it 14-20..
Never mind, it says specifically that it doesn't work like that. :L

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 01:33 PM
You can use a keen enchantment on one to make an 18-20 into a 16-20, then get the improved critical feat to make it 14-20..
Never mind, it says specifically that it doesn't work like that. :L
Actually, keen or improved critical turns it into 15-20 as it doubles the threat range. 18-20 is three numbers, 20, 19, 18, and three more is 17, 16, 15.
But yes, nothing stacks with improved critical or keen.
Nothing.