PDA

View Full Version : Rules for sleep, eating, and other logistics.

Morithias
2011-10-25, 04:19 PM
Has anyone ever come across rules like this? My friends have voted in a zombie apocalypse campaign and I need some minor rules to really push them to their limits. Most of the time we ignore stuff like this (due to most campaigns taking place in the city). But seeing how this takes place in a barren wasteland wrecked with disease. I would like to annoy them a bit more than usual.

Unfortionatly, in the SRD and DMG it's either not there or I've missed it while looking for these rules.

Thanks for the help people!

Zherog
2011-10-25, 04:22 PM
Rules for starvation and thirst are in the environment section.

STARVATION AND THIRST

Characters might find themselves without food or water and with no means to obtain them. In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

A character can go without food for 3 days, in growing discomfort. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each day (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of food or water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets food or water, as needed—not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage.

As far as I can recall, the only rules about sleep are related to arcane casters and spell prep.

Morithias
2011-10-25, 04:27 PM
Rules for starvation and thirst are in the environment section.

As far as I can recall, the only rules about sleep are related to arcane casters and spell prep.

Thank you. My apologizes I must've overlooked these.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-25, 08:54 PM
Under "movement", there are rules for being exhausted/collapsing from walking more than 8 hours. Just make the number of hours greater (18-24ish), say it applies to all activity. Remember that characters recover nonlethal in hours, exact numbers are probably under nonlethal damage

PretzelKing
2011-10-25, 09:00 PM
as for the "other logistics"

our DM never used to be very strict about weather conditions in other campaigns, but our most recent one started in late fall/beginning of winter. our first night out from town we opted NOT to start a campfire because of nearby hostiles and we all nearly froze to death. CON checks every so often and, non-lethal damage leading to unconsciousness. We ended up dragging half our party back to town with fur-clad kobolds in pursuit! We start every session asking the DM what the weather is like today.

Amphetryon
2011-10-25, 09:36 PM
Pay special attention to the encumbrance and "sleeping in armor" rules. In that setting, they should be carrying a good bit of equipment and sleeping without armor is possibly a stylish form of suicide for the non-arcane types.

Diefje
2011-10-25, 10:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm

For some effects of weather, like poorer visibility during rain, slower movement in snow, and arrows blowing off target.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Some more fun stuff to do with environment. Did you know extreme altitude means you take -1 every ability on a failed save?! WTFBBQ.