PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an arcane PrC+Metapsionics Questions

kardar233
2011-10-26, 12:46 AM
I remember reading somewhere of an arcane prestige class that was based on big, flashy, powerful damage spells. It's not in Dragon, but I've looked through my books and for the life of me I can't find the damn thing. It's definitely not in either Champion book, Complete Mage or Arcane, SS, or any of the Campaign settings, and the most promising two possibilities (Escalation Mage and Cataclysm Mage) were busts.

I'm beginning to doubt this class' existence, but I thought I might as well appeal to the wisdom (or INT, whichever modifier is higher) of the forum before giving up.

The other thing I was wondering is if there was a way to use the AMF bubble trick (use AMF on an area but not yourself) using a Null Psionics Field. I checked out Sculpt Power but it didn't do what I wanted.

Thirdly, if there is a way to do so, is there an easy way to regain psionic focus without burning a full-round action on it?

Answers appreciated in advance.

Flickerdart
2011-10-26, 09:44 AM
The feat Psionic Meditation (not to be confused with Psychic Meditation) from the XPH lets you recover focus as a move action. The power Hustle lets you spend a swift action to gain a move action, so now you're recovering focus as a swift.

Incantatrix is probably the best for big damage spells, since you score free metamagic off of it.

Keld Denar
2011-10-26, 12:56 PM
Warmage is a PrC in...the Dragonlance Campaign Setting? that basically adds a static bonus PER DIE of damage to your blasty spells. So if you have +3, and you cast a CL10 Fireball, it'll deal 10d6+30 damage. That damage scales with metamagic, so an Empowered CL10 Fireball would effectively deal 15d6+45. Don't confuse it with the crappy base class in Complete Arcane, the PrC is actually very decent. And short, IIRC, like, 5 levels long.

I don't think you can apply Extraordinary Spell Aim to psionics, and there isn't really an "Archpsion" PrC, and given that the magic/psionic transparency doesn't extend to feats, Cheater of Mystra wouldn't even work.

Psyren
2011-10-26, 12:58 PM
What are you using the "AMF bubble" for? Keep in mind that it will only protect you from bursts that originate inside the no-magic ring, and summoned creatures. Anything that just passes through it to hit your square (like a line or cone starting outside the field, a targeted spell like magic missile, or even a fireball if its centered on you) will not be affected and roast you as if you didn't have it up at all.

Where are you finding Sculpt Power?

I don't think you can apply Extraordinary Spell Aim to psionics, and there isn't really an "Archpsion" PrC, and given that the magic/psionic transparency doesn't extend to feats, Cheater of Mystra wouldn't even work.

Actually there is - it's just 3.0. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20021122b) Shouldn't be too hard to convert though if the OP really wants it.