PDA

View Full Version : A martial archer

ILM
2011-10-26, 04:34 AM
I’m trying to build a medium-ish level archer, that can shoot people and deal respectable damage from crazy distances, but can also hold his own at more traditional ranges. I don’t have a target level (he’s an NPC, I’m the DM) but I was gunning for BAB 11 for that third iterative/ Manyshot arrow.

I’m operating under a number of restrictions that are particularly harmful to the archer concept:
1) He needs to be a primarily martial archer. I don’t mind Ranger levels with their partial spellcasting, or dips, or wands with UMD but I won’t go Cleric 15.
2) Anything 3.0 is out, updated or not (bye bye Peerless Archer and Deepwood Sniper)
3) Dragon Mag stuff is out too (bye bye Targetteer and Scout variant)
4) Kaorti Resin is 3.0, so it’s out
5) Telling Blow doesn’t let you apply SA or Skirmish damage beyond their normal range
6) Craven doesn’t get multiplied on crits
7) I can further enhance Energy Bows with other magical properties (the way costs are calculated is irrelevant here)

I know, it’s like I’m intentionally gimping myself. I’m happy to explain the above rules choices but please, let’s not turn this thread in a mini-rules FAQ either.

I’ve read the handbooks and stuff so I’ve got a couple skeleton builds. One is a simple Rogue 10/ Cragtop Archer 4. Important feats are Craven, Greater Manyshot, Knowledge Devotion and, possibly, Telling Blow.

At extreme ranges (thank you Cragtop Archer), with an Energy Bow of Collision, and with a wand of Hunter’s Mercy, I can deal up to [2d6 +4 (Strength assumption) +2 (weapon) +5 (collision) +11 (power shot) +3 (reasonable Knowledge Devotion assumption)] x3 +14 (Craven) +5d6. Average 127 damage. Nothing that’s likely to impress CO veterans here, but not negligible either.

At closer ranges, where you can use Greater Manyshot, the above damage is basically multiplied by 3. Hunter’s Mercy as a swift action, move action for whatever, then 3 Manyshot arrows with full precision damage in your face (this is where Telling Blow helps). Belt of Battle to do that twice. That’s pretty much my basic build (and I fully realize I'm assuming the attacks hit, which isn't a given with all the penalties stacked here).

Now it occurs to me that Rogue doesn’t bring much to the table here in terms of damage. This brought me to a second build: Rogue 1/ Ranger 6/ Scout 3/ CA 4 with Swift Hunter on top. The 6th level of Ranger is just to get that third d6 of Skirmish damage, and possibly Manyshot if I arrange the levels just right. I do lose about 4d6 of long-range damage, but close-range is practically unaffected and the side benefits change:

Lose:
- evasion
- trap sense
- skill points
- improved uncanny dodge
- one special Rogue ability (possibly HiPS with the right ACF)
Gain:
- very limited spellcasting
- animal companion (useless, but I can grab the Distracting Attack ACF)
- Fast movement
- Trackless step
- Track
- Favoured enemy
- Combat style – free feats, essentially

I’m not sure if it’s worth it, and basically I’m wondering if there’s any superior options out there for the levels that aren’t Rogue 1/ Cragtop Archer 4. edit: here's another option: Rogue 4/ Fighter 4 (for Ranged Weapon Mastery)/ CA 4.

I'd also like to know if anyone can think of ways to increase the damage on long-range single shots.

Also, bonus question: is there a (cheap) item that'll let me see at the kind of ranges CA lets me shoot at? Even a 1/encounter or 1/day thing, it's not like he's going to snipe from 5000 ft all day long...

Curmudgeon
2011-10-26, 05:08 AM
4) Kaorti Resin is 3.0, so it’s out

Just FYI: There's a Fiend Folio 3.5 Update booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a). Also you'll find online The Kaorti Ubercyst (http://shadow.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030916x) (main article) and Magic and Resin Items (http://shadow.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a), both published after the 3.5 update.

Robs
2011-10-26, 05:14 AM
...Anything 3.0 is out, updated or not...

Please clarify this; common sense says that if it has been updated, it is no longer 3.0, and is now 3.5.

Did you perhaps mean 3.0 stuff that was not updated, and therefor is usually fair game?

I mention because followed logically, that statement applies to an exceedingly large part of 3.5... starting with most (if not, all) of the base classes in the PHB.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-26, 05:52 AM
In complete warrior there is a prestige class called order of the bow initiate that look kind of powerful but you can't use its best class feature with full attack.

Darrin
2011-10-26, 06:08 AM
6) Craven doesn’t get multiplied on crits

It should. "Bonus damage" doesn't get multiplied, but this is generally defined in the PHB as "extra dice". Technically, Craven isn't "bonus damage", it's a modifier to damage, and those get multiplied on crits. But if you've ruled otherwise and it's working fine in your campaign, then it's probably not worth arguing about.

Now it occurs to me that Rogue doesn’t bring much to the table here in terms of damage. This brought me to a second build: Rogue 1/ Ranger 6/ Scout 3/ CA 4 with Swift Hunter on top.

Scout 4/Ranger 6/Highland Stalker 2 gets 4d6 skirmish damage, 6d6 with Improved Skirmish. You can advance skirmish damage a lot quicker if you go into Dragon Devotee 4 (+2d6) then Unseen Seer 4 (+2d6).

If you're designing this NPC to challenge the PCs... I don't see you applying Favored Enemy: Humanoid (or whatever flavor most of the PCs happen to be) damage in there. That also gets multiplied on crits.

You can boost the skirmish damage a bit with Gloves of Agile Striking, Rogue's Vest, and Skirmisher Boots.

I'd also like to know if anyone can think of ways to increase the damage on long-range single shots.

Sniper's shot for sneak attack/skirmish at any range. Otherwise, you'll need MOAR energy damage:

Magic items:
Lesser Crystal of Acid Assault (3000 GP): +1d6 acid damage
Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP): +1d6 electricity damage
Quiver of Energy (15000 GP): +1d6 a la carte energy damage

Spells:
Burning sword (Sor/Wiz 2): +1d6 fire damage, plus flaming burst damage on crits
Sonic weapon (Brd/Sor/Wiz 2): +1d6 sonic damage
Frost weapon (Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz 2): +1d6 cold damage
Lesser energy surge (Sor/Wiz 2): +1d6 a la carte energy damage
Blade of blood (Ass/Cle/Dsk/Sor/Wiz 1): sacrifice 5 HP for +3d6 damage

Also, bonus question: is there a (cheap) item that'll let me see at the kind of ranges CA lets me shoot at? Even a 1/encounter or 1/day thing, it's not like he's going to snipe from 5000 ft all day long...

Glass of Distance (52200 GP, Sandstorm p. 133) is probably what you're looking for... is 10 miles enough range? Also, if the PCs do manage to corner him, gives him a nice little 1/day *BAMF* teleport to get his bacon out of the fire.

ILM
2011-10-26, 06:16 AM
Just FYI: There's a Fiend Folio 3.5 Update booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a). Also you'll find online The Kaorti Ubercyst (http://shadow.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030916x) (main article) and Magic and Resin Items (http://shadow.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a), both published after the 3.5 update.
Holy crap, for some reason I thought the cut-off date for 3.5 was in 2004, not 2003. I love you so much right now :smallbiggrin:.

Please clarify this; common sense says that if it has been updated, it is no longer 3.0, and is now 3.5.
I'm sorry, yeah. Basically, if it's been updated, you use the updated version. If it hasn't, you don't use it at all.

In complete warrior there is a prestige class called order of the bow initiate that look kind of powerful but you can't use its best class feature with full attack.
I hate to disagree, but the 3.5 OotBI is a horrible, useless mess. Meager extra precision damage that only works as a standard action at pathetic range? Nothx. The only ability worth considering would be Close Combat Shot, and 2 levels seems like to steep a price to pay.

Eldariel
2011-10-26, 06:33 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate is a trap. Doesn't do anything.

I'd just take:

Ranger 2/Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Warblade 7. Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) Barbarian. Ranger for skills, mostly. Warblade gets all the good stuff; cap out at Dancing Mongoose; other than that, use mobility and defensive maneuvers. Obviously, more Warblade levels = more goodness; for ECL 16, Ranger 1/Barbarian 1/Warblade 14 would be Raging Mongoose. ECL 18, Warblade 16 variant would get Time Stands Still for moar attacks.

Best of all, Warblade qualifies for feats as a Fighter so you can give him Ranged Weapon Mastery; there's also enough skillpoints to fuel Knowledge Devotion if you feel so inclined. Both are reasonable ways to add damage to the whole deal. Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) would allow for Power Shots, and there's always PF Deadly Aim (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat).

deuxhero
2011-10-26, 06:53 AM
Hexblade 5/Abjurant Champion 3/Arcane Archer 2/Divine Disciple 10! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122)

>_>

ILM
2011-10-26, 10:06 AM
@Eldariel: thanks, but I was looking for primarily for an extreme-range archer, and only secondly for a PBS/extended PBS archer. Firing from extreme ranges with Cragtop Archer is its own full-round action so iteratives and extra attacks are useless. I don't mind getting a few for the times I do get caught in normal range, but I won't build for it.

@deuxhero: Yep I know the build. If I were looking for a spellcasting archer I'd definitely look at it, but I'm really after a martial type.

@all: So after looking at the feats and skills I need and everything, it seems Rogue 4/ Fighter 4/ Cragtop Archer 4 is my best bet (I can't even take the Thug variant, I need that feat slot). Loses only 1 BAB, and most importantly gets all the feats I want (except Ranged Weapon Mastery, but it's quite the feat investment for ultimately unimpressive returns).

My problem now is this: cash. As a level 12 'special' NPC, I'll give him the WBL of a PC, i.e. 88,000 gp. The bow will cost a minimum of 22.6k. The Glass of Distance is 52.2k. I wouldn't mind a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis for the HiPS, but that's another 22k. Is there anything cheaper than the Glass of Distance? Maybe with less range and without the 1/day teleport? Yes, I could just rule-zero one, but if there's anything in 3.5 WotC published stuff I'd rather go with that.

ericgrau
2011-10-26, 10:24 AM
Boots of speed are essential for the haste. Lesser bracers of archery are a cheap +1. Ya anything for 50k is too much for your budget. Don't forget improved rapid shot for another +2, but that plus ranged weapon mastery is getting to be borderline OP if you're worried about that. If not, have at it.

Eldariel
2011-10-26, 10:28 AM
@Eldariel: thanks, but I was looking for primarily for an extreme-range archer, and only secondly for a PBS/extended PBS archer. Firing from extreme ranges with Cragtop Archer is its own full-round action so iteratives and extra attacks are useless. I don't mind getting a few for the times I do get caught in normal range, but I won't build for it.

You can easily do 1000s of feet with Warblade Archer; take 1 level in Cragtop Archer to halve the range increments and you're set. I'm suggesting this build since it does what you want the best; Woodland Archer covers for the range penalties especially when combined with sources of bonus attacks and you can take Cragtop enough to get 15 range increments if you so desire without hurting you overtly much.

I still think Warblade offers more than the alternatives on these levels.

ILM
2011-10-26, 11:09 AM
You can easily do 1000s of feet with Warblade Archer; take 1 level in Cragtop Archer to halve the range increments and you're set. I'm suggesting this build since it does what you want the best; Woodland Archer covers for the range penalties especially when combined with sources of bonus attacks and you can take Cragtop enough to get 15 range increments if you so desire without hurting you overtly much.

I still think Warblade offers more than the alternatives on these levels.
Oh, I see what you mean now. Instead of one shot without penalties, take 5 or 6 shots with full penalties (-10, -15 with Arcing Shot) but make up for that with misses and Woodland Archer. Did I get you right? If so, there's one thing I'm still missing: what makes you think the +4 bonus from Woodland Archer is cumulative? The rules are usually explicit when stuff is meant to stack with itself...

Also, bear in mind I'm using Hunter's Mercy on that shot to get a guaranteed crit for 4x damage thanks to the 3.5 (yay!) Kaorti resin. Were I to do that with the Warblade and its 5-6 attacks, the spell would be wasted in case of a miss - in which case the total damage output would be lower than my single arrow (on the other hand, the Warblade would let me apply Craven damage every time, so it's not all bad).