PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept - A Shadow Assassin

Cogidubnus
2011-10-26, 08:02 AM
I had this idea for a character who assassinates from the darkness, never allowing his opponents to touch him, and preferably killing quickly and viscerally. The idea is built around fear-aspects, so working some of that into the character might help.

I wanted some advice on how to build a character (probably gestalt) with this sort of potential, useful feats, prestige classes etc. Homebrew or WotC. My thoughts so far were:

Beguiler (going into Shadow Adept), Shadowdancer and the Diablo Assassin. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119997)

The only thing these are really lacking is a way to deal massive amounts of melee damage, although the Assassin gets partway there with his dual-wielding.

ILM
2011-10-26, 08:54 AM
I've had some success with a Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 1/ Assassin 10/ Teflammar Shadowlord 4. The idea was to optimize Death Attack, admittedly a weak feature however you look at it. As a result, I took three kinds of feats: stuff that increased the DC on that, stuff that allowed me to debuff enemies' saves (Sickening Strike, etc.), and stuff that increased the damage (Craven, Shadow Blade).

You could keep a similar base and pick something other than Assassin (more Swordsage levels would probably work well enough, actually), and get different feats. Avoir Shadowdancer, it's pretty much the worst thing you could do.

Cogidubnus
2011-10-26, 09:13 AM
I've had some success with a Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 1/ Assassin 10/ Teflammar Shadowlord 4. The idea was to optimize Death Attack, admittedly a weak feature however you look at it. As a result, I took three kinds of feats: stuff that increased the DC on that, stuff that allowed me to debuff enemies' saves (Sickening Strike, etc.), and stuff that increased the damage (Craven, Shadow Blade).

You could keep a similar base and pick something other than Assassin (more Swordsage levels would probably work well enough, actually), and get different feats. Avoir Shadowdancer, it's pretty much the worst thing you could do.

A one-level dip for HiPS when you can summon shadowy concealment at will is worth it. The rest of it's awful, no need to persuade me there.

Malachei
2011-10-27, 12:39 AM
I'd base such a build mainly on Swordsage.

I think, fluff-wise, the Child of Night Prestige Class from Tome of Magic would be an interesting addition, and the requirements are easy to meet. It offers 9/10 spellcasting progression, plus a few shadow abilities, such as having a supernatural blur effect, and eventually the capstone ability to become incorporeal 1 minute per day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-27, 12:42 AM
Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d), get Mind Cripple with TWF and Speed weapons, deal enough Int damage in a single full attack to disable your opponent regardless of how much HP they have.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-27, 12:56 AM
I've had some success with a Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 1/ Assassin 10/ Teflammar Shadowlord 4. The idea was to optimize Death Attack, admittedly a weak feature however you look at it. As a result, I took three kinds of feats: stuff that increased the DC on that, stuff that allowed me to debuff enemies' saves (Sickening Strike, etc.), and stuff that increased the damage (Craven, Shadow Blade. Dude... you have Teflammar Shadowlord and Swordsage in the same build, at this point you should stop looking at death attack, and try to get to level 7 maneuvers, why? Shadow Pounce. With Shadow Blink, Shadow Stride and Shadow Jaunt, you're getting 3 full round attacks every other round. TWF and some Sneak Attack besides Assassin's Stance and you will be throwing around 12 odd attacks, at the very least. If you can manage to make your enemy flat-footed, by say hiding in the rafters and teleporting behind them. Chances are they're dead. :smallwink:

Hirax
2011-10-27, 01:02 AM
Rogue3/swordsage2/assassin10

Swordsage gets you sudden leap, which burns your swift action to be able to jump up to your move speed. From there you can make a full attack on your presumably flat footed foe. Consider the following feat progression:
1: Darkstalker (creatures with blindsight and tremorsense must make spot/listen checks to locate you, Lords of Madness)
3: Sickening strike (Sickens foe hit by sneak attack, Drow of the Underdark)
6: Ability focus (MM1)
9: Terrifying strike (+1 fear level to target hit by sneak attack, Drow of the Underdark)

Note that those 2 sneak attack feats reduce a targets save's, and therefore are net gains to your sneak attack DC.

If gestalt is in play take factotum on your other side to add your int bonus to lots of useful things.

Malachei
2011-10-27, 01:27 AM
If possible, start with only one level or 4 levels before going into Swordsage, because other classes give 1/2 initiator level (minimum 1).

Thus, 4 levels let you start Sworsage 1 with an initiator level of 3, qualifying for second-level maneuvers if you meet the prerequisites.

You'll want Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception and Action Before Though, for instance, which have no other maneuver prerequisites.

ILM
2011-10-27, 03:33 AM
Dude... you have Teflammar Shadowlord and Swordsage in the same build, at this point you should stop looking at death attack, and try to get to level 7 maneuvers, why? Shadow Pounce. With Shadow Blink, Shadow Stride and Shadow Jaunt, you're getting 3 full round attacks every other round. TWF and some Sneak Attack besides Assassin's Stance and you will be throwing around 12 odd attacks, at the very least. If you can manage to make your enemy flat-footed, by say hiding in the rafters and teleporting behind them. Chances are they're dead. :smallwink:
Oh but I am, it's just the backup strategy :smallbiggrin:. Except I'm getting the teleports through other means: Ring of Translocation or Shadow Cloak (swift action teleport), Boots of Swift Passage (move action teleport), Dimension Door (standard action teleport, ends turn - could use Shadow Jaunt for it as well).

@Hirax: you can also tack on Aleval School from the same books for yet another -2 to their save :smallsmile:.